[Today at 04:10:23 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Galway Eagle
[Today at 04:04:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MU CINO (Catholic in name only)?  (Read 113606 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: MU CINO (Catholic in name only)?
« Reply #100 on: December 17, 2014, 11:58:26 AM »
You have the freedom to speak, but you are not free of the consequences.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #101 on: December 17, 2014, 12:16:48 PM »
McAdams suspended.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/education/marquettes-john-mcadams-suspended-after-criticizing-ta-on-gay-marriage-discussion-b99410656z1-286100731.html?utm_source=&utm_medium=&utm_campaign=hs

Says he's being treated like a terrorist, because well, that's McAdams for you.

Standard bully behavior.
Picks on someone weaker than himself - in this instance a teaching assistant - and then when forced to face consequences, portrays himself as the real victim.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #102 on: December 17, 2014, 12:19:24 PM »
Kudos to the Dean for having the courage to do something, when he had to be certain McAdams would make an even bigger stink about this in the press after doing it. I guarantee you the first call McAdams made after getting the email was to the JS.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #103 on: December 17, 2014, 01:21:20 PM »

Says he's being treated like a terrorist, because well, that's McAdams for you.

Not sure how getting to keep your pay and tenure while not having to do any actual work, all while your case is going through the established review process, is being treated like a terrorist.

He would love the private sector.  It appears that the normal procedure these days is zero notice and getting perp-walked through the office carrying your box of personal stuff, even if it is a just a RIF.
Have some patience, FFS.

brandx

« Reply #104 on: December 17, 2014, 01:57:06 PM »

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #105 on: December 17, 2014, 02:03:37 PM »
Kudos to the Dean for having the courage to do something, when he had to be certain McAdams would make an even bigger stink about this in the press after doing it. I guarantee you the first call McAdams made after getting the email was to the JS.

Agreed.  Also, going to the JS right away is not a good way to help your case.  I said awhile ago that his actions are dangerously close to sufficient for revocation of tenure.  His going to the JS with "treating me like a terrorist" may be enough to push it over the edge.

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #106 on: December 17, 2014, 02:45:25 PM »
Agreed.  Also, going to the JS right away is not a good way to help your case.  I said awhile ago that his actions are dangerously close to sufficient for revocation of tenure.  His going to the JS with "treating me like a terrorist" may be enough to push it over the edge.

The JS quoted his blog, he didn't go to the JS ...

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #107 on: December 17, 2014, 02:48:23 PM »

How do you know he didn't? Do you think the JS takes the time to routinely peruse the blogs of university professors? I doubt it.

Also, McAdams' use of the royal "we" is both annoying and a glimpse into his arrogance...

"As for having to remain off campus — in effect, being treated like a potential terrorist — we don't know where that came from. The last time we were accused of harassment (it was sexual harassment, since we told an entire class that feminists grossly exaggerate the incidence of college date rape) we were not treated like a terrorist."

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #108 on: December 17, 2014, 02:53:39 PM »
How do you know he didn't? Do you think the JS takes the time to routinely peruse the blogs of university professors? I doubt it.

Also, McAdams' use of the royal "we" is both annoying and a glimpse into his arrogance...

"As for having to remain off campus — in effect, being treated like a potential terrorist — we don't know where that came from. The last time we were accused of harassment (it was sexual harassment, since we told an entire class that feminists grossly exaggerate the incidence of college date rape) we were not treated like a terrorist."

Jesus. Does it really matter that much?

If McAdams went to them they would have a direct quote, because he would have actually spoken to them.

This story was all over the radio for hours before the JS got on it. Maybe someone let them know they were behind on another news story.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #109 on: December 17, 2014, 03:00:07 PM »

That is a difference, but minor.  He is still going public with these things with pretty strong language.  Unwise.  Also, unwise to indicate that previously you said to an entire class that "Feminsits grossly exaggerate the incidence of date rape."

He is walking a very fine line and in my opinion he is on the wrong side of it.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #110 on: December 17, 2014, 03:15:52 PM »
He's trying to martyr himself.

Generally, I'm cool with a conservative professing stirring some crap up at University, but this dude has just gone overboard.

You want to be a martyr so bad? You just might get it. Have fun living on blogger income.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #111 on: December 17, 2014, 03:23:51 PM »

You're right. he doesn't know it. Any more than you know that "the first call McAdams made after getting the email was to the JS" which you "guaranteed". This is people's politics informing their conclusions (on both sides).

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #112 on: December 17, 2014, 03:34:37 PM »

I can almost guarantee that someone at the JS looked at McAdams blog.   It is well known.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #113 on: December 17, 2014, 04:06:02 PM »
I can almost guarantee that someone at the JS looked at McAdams blog.   It is well known.

McAdams was on 620 this morning. Even if the print side hates the talk radio side, talk radio already covered it and made it an easy to write story. He may have gone to 620/Talk radio, but I highly doubt he went to the JS -there isnt a conservative at the JS, they're just avoiding the "Here's what the dead tree isn't covering" story on 620 and 1130. any that thinks this started with the JS covering the story has their head up their ass.

What is interesting is that the story has been getting national attention http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2014/12/17/marquette-suspends-profs-teaching-orders-him-off-campus/

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #114 on: December 17, 2014, 04:13:40 PM »
McAdams was on 620 this morning. Even if the print side hates the talk radio side, talk radio already covered it and made it an easy to write story. He may have gone to 620/Talk radio, but I highly doubt he went to the JS -there isnt a conservative at the JS, they're just avoiding the "Here's what the dead tree isn't covering" story on 620 and 1130. any that thinks this started with the JS covering the story has their head up their ass.

What is interesting is that the story has been getting national attention http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2014/12/17/marquette-suspends-profs-teaching-orders-him-off-campus/

Well even if he didn't go to the JS, he certainly is going to the media in general...

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #115 on: December 17, 2014, 04:15:49 PM »
Well even if he didn't go to the JS, he certainly is going to the media in general...

As he should. This is absurd.

The issue was dead. MU handled Westboro perfectly. Should have let the controversy die out, but they couldn't help themselves.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #116 on: December 17, 2014, 04:16:47 PM »
He's trying to martyr himself.

Generally, I'm cool with a conservative professing stirring some crap up at University, but this dude has just gone overboard.

You want to be a martyr so bad? You just might get it. Have fun living on blogger income.

I am fairly confident that they will find him not guilty, or issue him some sort of minor reprimand, and he will be back by second semester.  There is a reason they waited on this until the first semester was over.  I mean, it is generally unwise to call out a graduate student in your blog, but I am struggling with how this will deteriorate into a fireable offense.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #117 on: December 17, 2014, 04:18:01 PM »

way to walk back your own stupidity

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #118 on: December 17, 2014, 04:18:08 PM »
As he should. This is absurd.

The issue was dead. MU handled Westboro perfectly. Should have let the controversy die out, but they couldn't help themselves.

You can't just "let it die out" if someone files a complaint.  As I said above, they are using the semester break to investigate, and will likely issue some minor reprimand before the second semester.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #119 on: December 17, 2014, 04:53:54 PM »

I am fairly confident that they will find him not guilty, or issue him some sort of minor reprimand, and he will be back by second semester.  There is a reason they waited on this until the first semester was over.  I mean, it is generally unwise to call out a graduate student in your blog, but I am struggling with how this will deteriorate into a fireable offense.

I don't know the ins and outs of academia, so I can't speak to what will happen.

I'm not even saying he should be fired, but not everything is politically motivated. Sometimes people are just a-holes, and they need to be dealt with in such a manner.

McAdams routinely makes stuff fit his platform. If he really wanted to find out what was going on in the phil department, he could have started by engaging them. Didn't have to blog about it.

I think the guy is super bright, but he's become a parody, where anything/everything that happens professionally is somehow an act of aggression against his conservative viewpoint, and then ends up as blog fodder.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #120 on: December 17, 2014, 04:54:38 PM »
That is a difference, but minor.  He is still going public with these things with pretty strong language.  Unwise.  Also, unwise to indicate that previously you said to an entire class that "Feminsits grossly exaggerate the incidence of date rape."

He is walking a very fine line and in my opinion he is on the wrong side of it.

I was in that class. It was an examination of how different polling questions and definitions can yield different conclusions once data is published.

Question: "Have you been date raped?" got a response of X% Yes

Different question: "Have you ever been touched anywhere on your body without having first given consent?" got a yes response much greater than X%.

The "grossly exaggerate the incidence of date rape" thing comes from looking at how the researchers characterized the data in their publication. The publication used positive responses to questions that many people wouldn't consider a "date rape" to count toward their reporting that "Y% of college aged women have been a victim of date rape." The point was to evaluate how broadly or narrowly questions and definitions can effect the results of polling. It wasn't really just an unhinged rant about evil feminists.

All that being said, he's extremely blunt in his delivery, is an old white guy with a southern accent and a slovenly appearance, and comes in right at the line of inappropriate in how he examines these subjects at times. He tries to be controversial and goes overboard on a somewhat regular basis.

I'm casually interested in seeing how this goes.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #121 on: December 17, 2014, 08:04:31 PM »
way to walk back your own stupidity

He went to the JS, he went to 620...is the point any less valid?

He took it out of house to make his employer look bad, which he does quite often.

If I got in trouble for harassing someone at my work in the real world and managed to get on the radio and whine about it, what do you think would happen to me? Bye bye.

Honestly regardless of politics, I don't see how anyone who loves MU can support a guy whose sole mission in life is to make MU look bad, whether its warranted or not. I'd say the same thing about a crazy liberal person badmouthing MU all over the media. Good riddance.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 08:07:38 PM by Bleuteaux »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #122 on: December 17, 2014, 08:08:48 PM »
I don't know the ins and outs of academia, so I can't speak to what will happen.

I'm not even saying he should be fired, but not everything is politically motivated. Sometimes people are just a-holes, and they need to be dealt with in such a manner.

McAdams routinely makes stuff fit his platform. If he really wanted to find out what was going on in the phil department, he could have started by engaging them. Didn't have to blog about it.

I think the guy is super bright, but he's become a parody, where anything/everything that happens professionally is somehow an act of aggression against his conservative viewpoint, and then ends up as blog fodder.

Oh I completely agree.  I mean his stuff reads like a Colbert skit. 

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #123 on: December 17, 2014, 08:32:46 PM »
He went to the JS, he went to 620...is the point any less valid?

He took it out of house to make his employer look bad, which he does quite often.

If I got in trouble for harassing someone at my work in the real world and managed to get on the radio and whine about it, what do you think would happen to me? Bye bye.

Honestly regardless of politics, I don't see how anyone who loves MU can support a guy whose sole mission in life is to make MU look bad, whether its warranted or not. I'd say the same thing about a crazy liberal person badmouthing MU all over the media. Good riddance.

Dan Maguire?

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #124 on: December 17, 2014, 08:49:32 PM »

I agree and disagree.  The action they took with the suspension, means the administration is seriously sick of the guy.  They are using this as an opportunity to fire him (in the future).  He will receive a minor reprimand (in most peoples eyes).  He will likely have a letter put on his permanent file and will be instructed that future actions will be considered a fireable offense.

He will then be able to chose whether he wants to tone down his rhetoric or risk being fire, or alternatively to look for a new job. 

For most tenure revocations they need that first warning/action officially on file (some exceptions to this).  After that it is far far easier to fire the individual.  That letter on file is extremely rare and would be considered a fairly significant reprimand, academia does not take such actions often.

feedback