[Today at 10:19:19 AM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by mileskishnish72
[April 22, 2024, 04:17:36 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WeAreMarquette96
[April 22, 2024, 01:49:31 PM]

[Paint Touches] Way-Too-Early roundup of MU rankings by tower912
[April 22, 2024, 01:29:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MU CINO (Catholic in name only)?  (Read 113472 times)

brandx

Re: MU CINO (Catholic in name only)?
« Reply #400 on: December 23, 2014, 11:33:16 AM »

In other words, I'm under the impression that no one is upset that McAdams crossed the line in the context of his entry, the dissent is over whether he crossed the line by naming the student.

Not necessarily. He wrote this under the banner "Marquette Warrior". How would the CEO of GE react if one of his employees (who was aware of the inner workings of the company) was attacking the integrity of the company under the heading of "GE Employee"? My guess is that he would already be gone whether he named names or not.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #401 on: December 23, 2014, 11:42:30 AM »
Not necessarily. He wrote this under the banner "Marquette Warrior". How would the CEO of GE react if one of his employees (who was aware of the inner workings of the company) was attacking the integrity of the company under the heading of "GE Employee"? My guess is that he would already be gone whether he named names or not.

As is so often pointed out, academic institutions and corporations are two very different things.  You are right, McAdams would be gone if he did this as a GE employee.....but they never would have let him have the blog in the first place or would have had him kill it after the first "incident".  Corporations are not run on free speech and free exchange of ideas, universities are.

I'm pretty settled that everyone did wrong in this story and McAdams did the most wrong, but I don't know where MU goes from here.  I do think firing him is close to justified, but you want to take a minor fire and blow it into a week long of public discourse....fire him.  They do need to do something at this point because they've created an ado...it better be about something.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #402 on: December 23, 2014, 03:27:37 PM »
Same here. He has the right to hold whatever views he likes. And has the right to blog about them. The mitigating circumstance is that he is an MU employee AND the blog is called Marquette Warrior. So it is very easy to interpret that his opinions are in some way lined up with those of the university.

If, say, his blog were entitled McAdams Mess, he should be able to opine about any subject whether related to MU or not without repercussion (short of ethics violations over naming members of the MU fraternity by name.

If any concern he has is truly about how MU conducts it affairs, he would be following proper channels rather than going rogue on his blog anyway.

not trying to be contentious, but does marquette still have any say in the term "marquette warrior" now that they have divorced itself from "warrior"?  and the word marquette can relate to other marquette's-the city, father m., companies are named as such, etc?
don't...don't don't don't don't

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #403 on: December 23, 2014, 03:31:55 PM »
not trying to be contentious, but does marquette still have any say in the term "marquette warrior" now that they have divorced itself from "warrior"?  and the word marquette can relate to other marquette's-the city, father m., companies are named as such, etc?

Um, yes you are trying to be contentious.  Do you honestly think that there is any person out there who is old enough to read his blog that would think the term "Marquette Warrior" is not referring to the university?
Have some patience, FFS.

shiloh26

• Starter
« Reply #404 on: December 23, 2014, 03:41:59 PM »
not trying to be contentious, but does marquette still have any say in the term "marquette warrior" now that they have divorced itself from "warrior"?  and the word marquette can relate to other marquette's-the city, father m., companies are named as such, etc?

First line on the home page of the blog: "We are here to provide an independent, rather skeptical view of events at Marquette University."  In case anyone had any doubt.  

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #405 on: December 23, 2014, 04:59:03 PM »
Um, yes you are trying to be contentious.  Do you honestly think that there is any person out there who is old enough to read his blog that would think the term "Marquette Warrior" is not referring to the university?

umm, no i'm not trying to be contentious. you miserable beach.  it was an honest question. of course i know people will associate the name of the blog with the school.  hey chick, you didn't even bother to read my post-why did you even bother to respond back with your condescending drivel. having a bad day, I have a toothache?  i was asking from more of a legal aspect also.  since marquette abandoned the nickname, did they give up it's rights?

on the other hand-thanks shiloh-since i don't read his blog, i wouldn't have known that-now that's what this board is here for   

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #406 on: December 23, 2014, 05:01:00 PM »
That's completely uncalled for, rocket.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #407 on: December 23, 2014, 05:17:18 PM »

Plus he is just flat out wrong.
Have some patience, FFS.

wildbill sb

• Team Captain
« Reply #408 on: December 23, 2014, 05:53:37 PM »
umm, no i'm not trying to be contentious. you miserable beach.  it was an honest question. of course i know people will associate the name of the blog with the school.  hey chick, you didn't even bother to read my post-why did you even bother to respond back with your condescending drivel. having a bad day, I have a toothache?  i was asking from more of a legal aspect also.  since marquette abandoned the nickname, did they give up it's rights?

on the other hand-thanks shiloh-since i don't read his blog, i wouldn't have known that-now that's what this board is here for   

...and peace on earth to men of good will.
“I’m working as hard as I can to get my life and my cash to run out at the same time. If I can just die after lunch Tuesday, everything will be perfect.”  - Doug Sanders, professional golfer

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #409 on: December 23, 2014, 06:01:40 PM »

wrong drew-trying to ask an HONEST question and i get a kick in the a$$-rule #1, give the benefit of the doubt, then if poster looks like a smart a$$, put them on ignore or respond like chick did.  i really wanted to know what the status was of the name marq. warrior and if mu would have something on mcadams for using the term for his blog...sheeeeesh.  

brandx

« Reply #410 on: December 23, 2014, 07:37:23 PM »
wrong drew-trying to ask an HONEST question and i get a kick in the a$$-rule #1, give the benefit of the doubt, then if poster looks like a smart a$$, put them on ignore or respond like chick did.  i really wanted to know what the status was of the name marq. warrior and if mu would have something on mcadams for using the term for his blog...sheeeeesh.  

Give it up dude.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 10:56:20 PM by brandx »

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #411 on: December 24, 2014, 06:55:42 AM »
Do you honestly think that there is any person out there who is old enough to read his blog that would think the term "Marquette Warrior" is not referring to the university?

Good luck proving that in court. 

If you do figure out how to win that case, Dan Snyder would probably be willing to write you a six-figure check.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #412 on: December 24, 2014, 10:25:25 AM »
Good luck proving that in court. 

If you do figure out how to win that case, Dan Snyder would probably be willing to write you a six-figure check.

thank you, that's all i was inquiring about-just wondering what the prevailing legal opinions are since mu abandoned the iconic nickname.  same as if someone were to use hilltoppers?  i'm sure there are other examples

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #413 on: December 24, 2014, 10:42:33 AM »
I think Marquette would use every legal argument they could to keep the rights to Marquette Warriors.  They want control over its usage.  Having said that, not sure of the extent of that control.

I think this extends to companies also.  I think US Bank bought the names of all preceeding banks like First Wisconsin, Star, Firstar, etc.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #414 on: December 24, 2014, 11:24:00 AM »
Marquette let the trademark of "Marquette Warriors" lapse years ago. You want to use it in commerce? Go for it.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #415 on: December 24, 2014, 11:52:16 AM »
Marquette let the trademark of "Marquette Warriors" lapse years ago. You want to use it in commerce? Go for it.

I thought I remember cease and desist letters being sent out over Warrior usage.   No?

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #416 on: December 24, 2014, 12:14:06 PM »

Just caught up with this thread.  I too read your question as completely legitimate and worthy of some interesting discussion.  Perhaps chick's response might have been a bit knee jerk but it was ungentlemanly to respond as you did. Please offer your apology and let's move on.  Thanks and Merry Christmas. 

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #417 on: December 24, 2014, 12:28:18 PM »
I thought I remember cease and desist letters being sent out over Warrior usage.   No?

A search of the USPTO Trademark Electronic Search System shows "Warriors Marquette" and "Marquette Warriors" as dead trademarks. Trademarks need to be maintained or they die and anyone can use them; looks like Warriors died.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #418 on: December 24, 2014, 12:31:13 PM »
Also a search of the same database for just "Marquette" does not appear to show any other Warriors-related trademarks in existence, live or dead.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #419 on: December 24, 2014, 01:46:45 PM »
Just caught up with this thread.  I too read your question as completely legitimate and worthy of some interesting discussion.  Perhaps chick's response might have been a bit knee jerk but it was ungentlemanly to respond as you did. Please offer your apology and let's move on.  Thanks and Merry Christmas. 

I read the first half of that and thought "uh oh... rough Christmas at chez glowchick this year."

Then I read the last half and learned a valuable lesson: how to politely tell my wife to "put a stocking in it" without having to sleep on the couch.  Best Christmas present ever.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.