collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Arizona State adding men's DI hockey  (Read 10427 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Arizona State adding men's DI hockey
« on: November 20, 2014, 12:11:39 PM »
Arizona State Adding D-I Men's Ice Hockey Thanks To $32M In Private Donations

Published November 19, 2014

ASU hockey will become the ninth D-I team from a Power 5 conference

Arizona State yesterday announced that it will "elevate its national champion club men's hockey team to NCAA Division I status over the next three seasons," according to Craig Morgan of FOXSPORTSARIZONA.com. The move was "made possible by private donations" of $32M by a group of hockey supporters, including Don Mullett, the father of former ASU hockey player Chris Mullett. The move comes at a time when many athletic programs are "cutting expenses and teams" amid cost concerns. ASU VP/Athletics Ray Anderson said, "This is in line with (ASU) President (Michael) Crow's vision. Let's step out there. Let's do some things that others maybe aren't comfortable doing so long as you can make the business case for it and a financial case for it. We're going to be entrepreneurial." Morgan noted the team "plans to transition to full Division I membership" in '17 and will join either the National Collegiate Hockey Conference or the Western Collegiate Hockey Association. The creation of the program "will necessitate the addition of a women's sport to remain in compliance with Title IX," at a cost of $1-1.5M. The men's ice hockey program will cost about $2.5M annually and "will include 18 new scholarships." The donations "will fund the program for the first 10 years." After that, the "burden would fall" on the athletic department. ASU has "not decided where the hockey team will play yet, but the options include U.S. Airways Center (the Suns have expressed interest), a renovated Oceanside Arena or a renovated Wells Fargo Arena." ASU hopes that other Pac-12 schools "will follow suit to reduce travel costs." Pac-12 Commissioner Larry Scott "likes the idea of expanding hockey throughout the conference, both as a possible revenue sport and as a sport that would fit well" on the Pac-12 Networks (FOXSPORTSARIZONA.com, 11/18).

FEW AND FAR BETWEEN: In Phoenix, Jeff Metcalfe writes ASU's move is "almost unprecedented in an era when men's sports are in peril due to Title IX requirements." ASU since '93 has "dropped varsity men's teams in gymnastics, archery, badminton, tennis, wrestling and swimming, although boosters raised enough funds for wrestling and swimming to be reinstated" (ARIZONA REPUBLIC, 11/19). In Minneapolis, Jason Gonzalez notes ASU "will become the ninth D-I hockey team from a Power 5 conference and the 60th D-I member." Penn State in '12 was "the most recent institution to add hockey" (Minneapolis STAR TRIBUNE, 11/19).

Groin_pull

• All American
Re: Arizona State adding men's DI hockey
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 12:31:26 PM »
Hmmmmmmm. Seems strange, but it's their money, so they can do what they want. However, too bad some of that cash couldn't be directed toward beefing up their academics. ASU is a joke.

Anyway, wonder if ASU hockey will outdraw the Phoenix Coyotes. Actually, I think UWM basketball outdraws the Coyotes.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 12:34:34 PM »
Hmmmmmmm. Seems strange, but it's their money, so they can do what they want. However, too bad some of that cash couldn't be directed toward beefing up their academics. ASU is a joke.

Anyway, wonder if ASU hockey will outdraw the Phoenix Coyotes. Actually, I think UWM basketball outdraws the Coyotes.

It's a large state school, has some very good individual programs but certainly overall quality isn't terrific.  I'll be at UA on Sunday for a conference and ASU on Monday...lots of things to admire on campus.  ;)  Going to a Coyotes game next week as well, couldn't believe how cheap tickets are.  You can't get Kings or Ducks tickets usually for less than $50 a piece in the absolute nosebleeds....for the Coyotes found them at $17.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 12:34:56 PM »
That's awesome, good for them. I visited ASU five times throughout college and always has a blast. Nothing like getting out of Milwaukee in October and heading to Tempe for fall break.
Bring back FFP!!!

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 12:49:58 PM »
It's a large state school, has some very good individual programs but certainly overall quality isn't terrific.  I'll be at UA on Sunday for a conference and ASU on Monday...lots of things to admire on campus.  ;)  Going to a Coyotes game next week as well, couldn't believe how cheap tickets are.  You can't get Kings or Ducks tickets usually for less than $50 a piece in the absolute nosebleeds....for the Coyotes found them at $17.

I hear ya, ASU is a blast. Lots of beautiful, tanned scenery. I've seen photos of some recent Coyotes games. Embarrassing for the NHL. About 3,000 in the stands...at most. Meanwhile, Quebec City doesn't have a team and Toronto only has one. Nice call, Bettman.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 12:57:33 PM »
I hear ya, ASU is a blast. Lots of beautiful, tanned scenery. I've seen photos of some recent Coyotes games. Embarrassing for the NHL. About 3,000 in the stands...at most. Meanwhile, Quebec City doesn't have a team and Toronto only has one. Nice call, Bettman.

New teams in Quebec City and Toronto don't create new hockey fans, though.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2014, 01:19:03 PM »

I've always said Salt Lake City would be a great hockey town. People in Utah can get behind a sports team.
Bring back FFP!!!

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2014, 01:51:25 PM »

The Phoenix Coyotes were such a great idea.

"New teams in Quebec City and Toronto don't create new hockey fans, though." - Although I think the same could be said about an NHL team in Phoenix.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2014, 01:55:20 PM »

Nor do they help when negotiating American TV rights.

There's been a surprising amount of NHL talent to come out of California and the Southwest in recent years.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2014, 02:04:02 PM »
There's nothing I don't like about this move.  As Pakuni said, there's a lot of talent in California and even so, ASU can recruit anywhere.

I will say this... it's quite the feeling to walk outside into 90 degree heat after being on the ice for a couple hours.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2014, 02:07:55 PM »

I will say this... it's quite the feeling to walk outside into 90 degree heat after being on the ice for a couple hours.

It is a great feeling walking out part of the year here after playing a game.

I find it mildly amusing that the main donor's last name is "Mullett".

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2014, 03:37:24 PM »
Nor do they help when negotiating American TV rights.

There's been a surprising amount of NHL talent to come out of California and the Southwest in recent years.

Exactly.  ASU could field a roster of kids from CA and TX and compete with almost any of the schools out East.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2014, 04:09:19 PM »
I find it mildly amusing that the main donor's last name is "Mullett".

For hockey donations, that probably qualifies as "Anonymous".
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2014, 04:11:19 PM »
Exactly.  ASU could field a roster of kids from CA and TX and compete with almost any of the schools out East.

Seriously?

I follow college hockey, but admittedly, I don't follow exactly where are the talent is coming from.

Are there really enough high quality players from from California?

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2014, 04:11:40 PM »
  Yeah? Who?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2014, 04:17:13 PM »

I'm not sure I'd go that far.
Most of the talent is still coming out of Minnesota, Michigan, some Wisconsin and Illinois and the northeast.
But whereas the southwest/west coast used to produce no players (unless they were transplanted kids of NHL players), some homegrown kids are making into the NHL.

JoeSmith1721

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2014, 04:23:58 PM »
Has anyone figured out why Alabama-Huntsville has a D1 hockey team yet?

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2014, 05:10:13 PM »
Has anyone figured out why Alabama-Huntsville has a D1 hockey team yet?

Not at all.  They played Marquette in club hockey in the '80's.

Nebraska-Omaha is kicking some arse this year.  Dean Blais, former coach of North Dakota, is their coach.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2014, 05:22:33 PM »
I'm not sure I'd go that far.
Most of the talent is still coming out of Minnesota, Michigan, some Wisconsin and Illinois and the northeast.
But whereas the southwest/west coast used to produce no players (unless they were transplanted kids of NHL players), some homegrown kids are making into the NHL.

MN, WI, MI, NY, and New England dominate USA hockey.

If I recall correctly, no states/areas come even close, (I don't think ILL produces much talent, does it?)

It's not a scientific sample, but look at the roster of USA hockey:

http://olympics.usahockey.com/page/show/1094430-all-time-roster
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 05:24:31 PM by Canned Goods n Ammo »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2014, 05:39:43 PM »
MN, WI, MI, NY, and New England dominate USA hockey.

If I recall correctly, no states/areas come even close, (I don't think ILL produces much talent, does it?)

It's not a scientific sample, but look at the roster of USA hockey:

http://olympics.usahockey.com/page/show/1094430-all-time-roster

Historically speaking, Illinois hasn't produced a ton of hockey talent, but that's changing.

Three of 27 players on the current USA Hockey U-20 roster are from Illinois (same as Wisconsin and New York).
Two kids on the U-18 roster are from Illinois (none from Wisconsin, three from NY).
Two on the U-17 team are from Illinois (again, none from Wisconsin, three from NY).

Minnesota and Michigan kids still tend to dominate, but less so than they have in the past.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2014, 05:47:48 PM »
Historically speaking, Illinois hasn't produced a ton of hockey talent, but that's changing.

Three of 27 players on the current USA Hockey U-20 roster are from Illinois (same as Wisconsin and New York).
Two kids on the U-18 roster are from Illinois (none from Wisconsin, three from NY).
Two on the U-17 team are from Illinois (again, none from Wisconsin, three from NY).

Minnesota and Michigan kids still tend to dominate, but less so than they have in the past.

Cool. I did not know that.

Thanks.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2014, 06:36:40 PM »
Illinois, Missouri and California are producing solid hockey players.

Minnesota (4) and Minnesota-Duluth (8) are in the top 8 in the rankings this past week.  42 of the 53 players on both teams are homegrown in-state.  Minnesota was #1 until Duluth swept them the last 2 games.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2014, 06:52:53 PM »
In terms of nhl players there's some from Cali but not loads here's a graph showing trends

http://www.quanthockey.com/TS/TS_USPlayers.php
Maigh Eo for Sam

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2014, 06:56:00 PM »

Yeah and Wisconsin doesn't produce very much historically.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2014, 07:02:59 PM »
In terms of nhl players there's some from Cali but not loads here's a graph showing trends

http://www.quanthockey.com/TS/TS_USPlayers.php

Love the graph and able to look penalty minutes, assists etc.  Also in the last 25 years or so the NHL has had an influx of the Commies playing in the league, the surge in talent coming in from the Scandinavian countries/goalies and the surge in USA talent from all different parts of the country have all played parts in the dilution of an all Canadian dominated league.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 07:06:23 PM by SaintPaulWarrior »

feedback