collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Barry Bonds  (Read 8345 times)

Silky Johnston

• Walk-On
Barry Bonds
« on: November 15, 2007, 04:28:50 PM »
Just got indicted on perjury and obstuction of justice charges.

farmdaddy

• Starter
Re: Barry Bonds
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 04:34:33 PM »
Somehow I don't feel sorry for him.

MU Chi_IL

• Team Captain
  • Marquette is Solid Gold!
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 04:45:51 PM »
AP story

Barry Bonds indicted on perjury, obstruction charges
By PAUL ELIAS, Associated Press Writer
November 15, 2007

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- Barry Bonds was indicted Thursday for perjury and obstruction of justice, charged with lying when he told a federal grand jury that he did not knowingly use performance-enhancing drugs.

The indictment unsealed Thursday against baseball's home-run king culminated a four-year investigation into steroid use by elite athletes.

"During the criminal investigation, evidence was obtained including positive tests for the presence of anabolic steroids and other performance enhancing substances for Bonds and other athletes," the indictment read.

In August, the 43-year-old Bonds passed Hank Aaron to become baseball's career home run leader. Late in the season, the San Francisco Giants told the seven-time National League MVP they didn't want him back next year. He is currently a free agent.

While Bonds was chasing Aaron, the grand jury was working behind closed doors to complete the long-rumored indictment.

"I'm surprised," said John Burris, one of Bonds' attorneys, "but there's been an effort to get Barry for a long time. "I'm curious what evidence they have now they didn't have before."

The indictment charged Bonds with lying when he said that he didn't knowingly take steroids given to him by his personal trainer, Greg Anderson. He also denied taking steroids at anytime in 2001 when he was pursuing the season home-run record.

He is also charged with lying that Anderson never injected him with steroids.

"Greg wouldn't do that," Bonds testified in December 2003 when asked if Anderson ever gave him any drugs that needed to be injected. "He knows I'm against that stuff."

Updated on Thursday, Nov 15, 2007 5:33 pm, EST

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 04:47:52 PM »
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

Ready2Fly

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 05:06:38 PM »

You can put one of those right next to McGwire and Sosa's names too.  They're all a bunch of cheaters.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2007, 05:07:00 PM »

= who gives a $hit about barry bonds.

jage

• Walk-On
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2007, 11:22:51 PM »
is this not a marquette basketball message board? who gives a s*** about barry bonds?
You know what pressure is? It's when the cheerleaders are jumping and you don't notice their breasts. - Al McGuire

🏀

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2007, 11:46:31 PM »
is this not a marquette basketball message board? who gives a s*** about barry bonds?

Who cares? A lot of people. If you don't, don't reply. Don't be a jag-e with your 19 posts already.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2007, 08:57:35 AM »

Isn't this what the "Superbar" is for?

Bonds is a total jerk, a cheater, and a complete fraud. That said, I would like to think that the U.S. government has bigger fish to fry than some athlete who lied about the chemicals he ingested to make his muscles bigger. This is ridiculous.
We Are Marquette

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2007, 09:53:56 AM »

Bonds is a total jerk, a cheater, and a complete fraud. That said, I would like to think that the U.S. government has bigger fish to fry than some athlete who lied about the chemicals he ingested to make his muscles bigger. This is ridiculous.

I'd like to think the U.S. government has bigger fish to fry than worrying about whether I pay taxes on my measly income.
Somehow, I don't think the IRS will buy that specious logic, however.

Sheesh.

First, it's not as if this investigation was initiated because of, or directed at, Bonds. In fact, Bonds was never a target of the inquiry until he decided to lie before a grand jury.
Rather this was an investigation into a substantial distribution network of illegal drugs.
Isn't that the sort of thing we expect our government to pursue?

Second, the federal justice system takes perjury very seriously, as it should. If we allow people to give false testimony in court and before juries, or if we allow them to lie to investigators, in an effort to obstruct a legitimate probe, it would kind of put a crimp on the whole system of justice, don't you think?

Third, it's not as if the federal government has come to a standstill to go after Barry Bonds. This is, after all, the very reason we have U.S. Attorney's offices across the country: to pursue and prosecute criminal enterprises and those involved in them.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2007, 11:38:39 AM »

I'd like to think the U.S. government has bigger fish to fry than worrying about whether I pay taxes on my measly income.
Somehow, I don't think the IRS will buy that specious logic, however.

Sheesh.

First, it's not as if this investigation was initiated because of, or directed at, Bonds. In fact, Bonds was never a target of the inquiry until he decided to lie before a grand jury.
Rather this was an investigation into a substantial distribution network of illegal drugs.
Isn't that the sort of thing we expect our government to pursue?

Second, the federal justice system takes perjury very seriously, as it should. If we allow people to give false testimony in court and before juries, or if we allow them to lie to investigators, in an effort to obstruct a legitimate probe, it would kind of put a crimp on the whole system of justice, don't you think?

Third, it's not as if the federal government has come to a standstill to go after Barry Bonds. This is, after all, the very reason we have U.S. Attorney's offices across the country: to pursue and prosecute criminal enterprises and those involved in them.

First, if Bonds isn't a "target" then why is this still going on years later? Everyone else has done their time. What's new that brings that back into the limelight?

Second, the federal justice system does not take perjury very seriously. Perjury charges are very rarely pursued.

Third, Bonds wasn't involved in any criminal enterprise. He's merely a purchaser of drugs. It'd be like taking down a heroin junkie for perjury after the drug kingpin is already in jail. It's stupid. It's a waste of money, like most of the American "war on drugs."
We Are Marquette

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2007, 12:39:58 PM »

Actually - yes.  We're going to make some changes top the Superbar, and start moving most Off-Topic threads there for discussion.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2007, 04:01:48 PM »
First, if Bonds isn't a "target" then why is this still going on years later? Everyone else has done their time. What's new that brings that back into the limelight?

If you re-read my post, you'd see I wrote that Bonds was not an initial target of the investigation, but he became one when he chose to lie to the grand jury.

Second, the federal justice system does not take perjury very seriously. Perjury charges are very rarely pursued.

You sure?
According to the 2004 Federal Compendium of Justice Statistics (linked below) there were 587 perjury prosecutions that year, the most recent year those figures are available.
http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/pub/pdf/cfjs0401.pdf

There were 536 perjury cases charged in 2003.
http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/pub/pdf/cfjs0302.pdf

There were 518 perjury prosecutions in 2002.

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/pub/pdf/cfjs0202.pdf

Perhaps not huge numbers, but indicative of something more than "very rare."

Third, Bonds wasn't involved in any criminal enterprise. He's merely a purchaser of drugs.

No, he wasn't "merely" a purchaser. He's a purchaser who attempted to obstruct a federal investigation into a criminal enterprise.
Your junkie analogy doesn't hold, unless your hypothetical junkie also appeared before a grand jury and lied under oath about what he used and from whom he received it.
And it's worth noting that while Bonds' indictment comes after Conte's prosecution, the crimes of which he's accused occurred about two years prior to the disposition of his case.
Are you suggesting that lying to a grand jury should be forgiven so long as the target of the grand jury investigation is convicted?

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2007, 04:33:22 PM »

If you re-read my post, you'd see I wrote that Bonds was not an initial target of the investigation, but he became one when he chose to lie to the grand jury.

You sure?
According to the 2004 Federal Compendium of Justice Statistics (linked below) there were 587 perjury prosecutions that year, the most recent year those figures are available.
http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/pub/pdf/cfjs0401.pdf

There were 536 perjury cases charged in 2003.
http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/pub/pdf/cfjs0302.pdf

There were 518 perjury prosecutions in 2002.

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/pub/pdf/cfjs0202.pdf

Perhaps not huge numbers, but indicative of something more than "very rare."

Third, Bonds wasn't involved in any criminal enterprise. He's merely a purchaser of drugs.

No, he wasn't "merely" a purchaser. He's a purchaser who attempted to obstruct a federal investigation into a criminal enterprise.
Your junkie analogy doesn't hold, unless your hypothetical junkie also appeared before a grand jury and lied under oath about what he used and from whom he received it.
And it's worth noting that while Bonds' indictment comes after Conte's prosecution, the crimes of which he's accused occurred about two years prior to the disposition of his case.
Are you suggesting that lying to a grand jury should be forgiven so long as the target of the grand jury investigation is convicted?

I sincererly appreciate you taking the time to look up the statistics on perjury charges, but around 500 prosecutions a year for perjury? I think you made my case for me.
We Are Marquette

mviale

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2007, 10:32:25 PM »
Maybe GWB will pardon Bonds as he did parden Libby for perjury. However, the Bonds case is much more grave  ;D
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

augoman

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2007, 12:28:54 AM »
has Sandy Burgler done his 'time' yet?

mviale

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2007, 10:16:03 PM »
Has he been indicted? Did anyone die due to his perjury?
If so, he should hang
« Last Edit: November 17, 2007, 10:42:52 PM by mviale »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2007, 08:42:42 PM »
Maybe GWB will pardon Bonds as he did parden Libby for perjury. However, the Bonds case is much more grave  ;D

Once again Mviale is wrong.

Bush didn't pardon Libby....one day your facts might become factual, we will be waiting.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2007, 09:02:21 PM »
semantics -do you follow?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2007, 12:28:00 AM »
semantics -do you follow?

Semantics.....depends what is is?  Please.  Nothing semantical about it, you just flat got it wrong.  As wrong and night and day.  A pardon and a commutation of a sentence are not the same, not even close.  With a pardon you record is wiped clean, it's a do-over, a mulligan.  With a commutation, the crime remains on the person's record, the fine (in this case), must be paid, etc, etc.

Then again, you're someone that keeps accusing certain politicians of lying when not a shred of proof is out there to suggest such, so why does this not shock me.

tomcrean4pres

• Starter
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2007, 03:20:14 PM »
does it really matter we all know Bonds will not do jail time... lets get serious here
***Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid. ***

feedback