Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wisconsin State Journal  (Read 7624 times)

ATWizJr

• All American
Wisconsin State Journal
« on: October 11, 2014, 10:43:34 AM »
I read the sports section of the Wisconsin State Journal daily.  They usually do a pretty good job of commenting on all Wisconsin sports stories with heavy emphasis on Packers, Badgers, and Madison area HS sports. 

They occasionally mention MU.  I have been a bit surprised that there has been no mention of the commitment of the highest ranked Wisconsin HS basketball player to MU.  Not even a mention?  Maybe I missed it.

GGGG

• All American
Re: Wisconsin State Journal
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 10:47:11 AM »
I read the sports section of the Wisconsin State Journal daily. 

What do you do with the next 23 hours and 59 minutes of your day?  That paper has gotten sad.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2014, 12:06:53 PM »
Look no further than Bucky troll Tom Oates for your example

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2014, 02:08:14 PM »
After the Brian Butch debacle, they no longer mention 5-star bigs from the state.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2014, 05:26:50 PM »
Look no further than Bucky troll Tom Oates for your example

Jee-sus H! Tom Oates is still writing for that rag? He was out of it when I was living in Madison, and that was 1983-85.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2014, 07:15:47 PM »
I read the sports section of the Wisconsin State Journal daily.  They usually do a pretty good job of commenting on all Wisconsin sports stories with heavy emphasis on Packers, Badgers, and Madison area HS sports. 

They occasionally mention MU.  I have been a bit surprised that there has been no mention of the commitment of the highest ranked Wisconsin HS basketball player to MU.  Not even a mention?  Maybe I missed it.

I understand your point but the highest ranked high school player from the state still hasn't committed to anyone.....https://sites.google.com/site/rscihoops/home/2015-summer

raul

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2014, 11:12:11 PM »
lets face it MU is the ugly stepchild in the eyes of many in the state when it comes to sports. But the fact is that only the Packers and MU have won it all when it comes to the WI. sports world on the national scene. As for Diamond he may be the slightly higher ranked player but I would take HE over D.Stone, of course  that is IMHO. I doubt he stays in state, (sorry UW fans).

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2014, 01:43:54 AM »
Jee-sus H! Tom Oates is still writing for that rag? He was out of it when I was living in Madison, and that was 1983-85.

He is.

His commentary on Ellenson's commitment was to tweet about how "things have changed" now that MU has verbal commitments from kids from Sun Prairie, Neenah, and Rice Lake.

God forbid MU look for the best possible recruits, not just ones from in Wisconsin....
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2014, 09:55:19 AM »
Just wait until the voting of Mr. Wisconsin is done, especially if Stone chooses UW.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2014, 10:01:55 AM »
There was an Ellenson blurb in the Wisconsin State Journal the day after the verbal and Stone for Mr. Basketball?  Considering Diamond has helped lead his team to 3 state championships so far, I would say it was deserved.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2014, 12:33:13 AM »
lets face it MU is the ugly stepchild in the eyes of many in the state when it comes to sports. But the fact is that only the Packers and MU have won it all when it comes to the WI. sports world on the national scene. As for Diamond he may be the slightly higher ranked player but I would take HE over D.Stone, of course  that is IMHO. I doubt he stays in state, (sorry UW fans).

I believe that the Milwaukee Bucks snagged a NBA title just prior to the trade with the Lakers.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2014, 02:33:54 AM »
I believe that the Milwaukee Bucks snagged a NBA title just prior to the trade with the Lakers.

Braves and Badgers, too

Death on call

🏀

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2014, 06:12:21 AM »
There was an Ellenson blurb in the Wisconsin State Journal the day after the verbal and Stone for Mr. Basketball?  Considering Diamond has helped lead his team to 3 state championships so far, I would say it was deserved.

Those were all Duane anyway.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2014, 09:53:55 AM »
Those were all Duane anyway.

Except last year's of course.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2014, 10:07:25 AM »
Talk to Hards... he wrote a pretty scathing letter to the WiSJ on just this issue several years ago.  I don't recall him ever saying if he got a response, but this is a pissing-in-the-wind battle.  WiSJ knows where their bread is buttered, and I don't think they'd be too keen on running stories about anything Catholic-related unless it has to do with a national scandal or Morlino stepping into something.  I don't recall if it was the obit or a memorial spot, but a parish in the Madison diocese had their priest pass away several years ago, and the WiSJ refused to run it... although, there may be more to this because I got it second-hand from my dad who is known to tell only one side of a story.

Wisconsin State Journal is pretty much a misnomer these days... if titles had to be truthful, it'd be called the Madison Central News Agency.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2014, 10:11:03 AM »
News organizations will cover what sells.

That's it.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2014, 10:14:28 AM »
Just wait until the voting of Mr. Wisconsin is done, especially if Stone chooses UW.
If Stone goes out-of-state, watch out for Brevin Pritzl.... :o

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2014, 10:15:54 AM »
The Wisconsin State Journal has been losing readership for years, and in response it just keeps getting smaller, losing staff, etc.  It is a shadow of what it once was.  (It used to be the sizable morning paper in Madison with the Capital Times coming out in the afternoon.)  Furthermore it never built up a significant web presence, so it is out of the public eye all together.  

In my experience however, it isn't anti-Catholic.  Merely a bad paper with limited staff.

BTW, it was called the "Wisconsin State Journal" because it was the paper of record for the State of Wisconsin when those things mattered.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2014, 11:48:49 AM »
I understand your point but the highest ranked high school player from the state still hasn't committed to anyone.....https://sites.google.com/site/rscihoops/home/2015-summer
  not according to the espn 100.