Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Steve Wojciechowski is off to an unbelievable start at Marquette  (Read 6906 times)

radome

• Team Captain
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24745446/steve-wojciechowski-is-off-to-an-unbelievable-start-at-marquette

Gary Parrish
College Basketball Insider
Steve Wojciechowski is off to an unbelievable start at Marquette
October 9, 2014 12:31 pm ET

Steve Wojciechowski already boasts one of the nation's best recruiting classes. (Getty)

When I visited Marquette in late August I walked away convinced college basketball fans would soon realize Steve Wojciechowski is much more than the 20-year-old floor-slapping cartoon character people still, for whatever reason, hold onto so tightly.

He's 38 now.

He's married.

He has children.

Woj scores another
Top-10 forward picks Marquette

And, more to the point, he's two decades removed from the day he enrolled at Duke, meaning he's had a long time -- years and years and years -- to transition from player to coach and plan for this moment, i.e., the moment when he finally took over his own program.

To be clear, this could've happened years ago.

Wojciechowski could be the coach at Dayton right now, if he wanted.

But he passed on that opportunity in 2011 -- which cleared the way for Archie Miller -- and waited for something bigger and better. And that bigger-and-better something presented itself in March when Buzz Williams left Marquette for a set of fresh expectations.

Anyway, Wojciechowski has now been at Marquette a little more than six months.

The first noticeably significant thing he did was secure a commitment from BYU transfer Matt Carlino, who will be eligible this season. Then came a commitment from Nick Noskowiak, a four-star point guard from the Class of 2015, and that development was followed by commitments from Matt Heldt and Haanif Cheatham, a four-star center and four-star shooting guard, both from the Class of 2015. So, clearly, things have long been looking good. But Wojciechowski's signature moment to date came Thursday, when he received a commitment from Henry Ellenson, a five-star power forward and consensus top-10 prospect from the Class of 2015.

And the Marquette family is excited to have him, I'm certain.

According to Mark Miller, editor of the Wisconsin Basketball Yearbook, Ellenson will be the highest-rated recruit to play for Marquette since Doc Rivers began his college career in 1980, which is obviously remarkable. I mean, think about all of the accomplished men who have coached Marquette between now and then -- guys like Rick Majerus, Kevin O'Neill, Tom Crean and Buzz Williams. Now understand that none of them ever took a commitment from a recruit as heralded as Ellenson, and then you'll be able to grasp the significance of this moment for this historically strong and enthusiastically supported program.

That might be true, by the way.

Yes, Marquette enrolled Henry Ellenson's brother, Wally Ellenson, in July, and that's worth mentioning, if only because some of you have already mentioned it on Twitter. So, in the spirit of honesty, I'll say this: Wally Ellenson is a transfer from Minnesota better equipped to contribute at the so-called mid-major level than at a Big East program, and it would be naive to suggest Wojciechowski didn't take that commitment with this commitment in mind.

Clearly, the two things are connected.

We don't have to lie to each other about it.

But anybody using Wally Ellenson's enrollment to discount Henry Ellenson's commitment is wildly missing the point, because all Wally Ellenson's enrollment shows me is that Wojciechowski is smart enough to know what he needs to do to secure a program-changing recruit. You get 13 scholarships in basketball, and you really only need eight or nine talented players to compete at the highest level.

So why not spend a scholarship on an inferior prospect to help secure a top-10 recruit?

Wojciechowski shouldn't be criticized for that.

He should be applauded.

And he'll never regret that decision, I promise you.

Either way, the bottom line is the bottom line, and the bottom line is this: Steve Wojciechowski, barely six months into his first head-coaching job, has secured a class that's ranked fourth nationally. It's further proof that the Marquette officials who hired him were smart to see past the floor-slapping reputation, and the rest of the country -- especially fans of rival Big East schools -- would be wise to start taking him more seriously, too.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
Re: Steve Wojciechowski is off to an unbelievable start at Marquette
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 02:16:10 PM »
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24745446/steve-wojciechowski-is-off-to-an-unbelievable-start-at-marquette

Gary Parrish
College Basketball Insider
Steve Wojciechowski is off to an unbelievable start at Marquette
October 9, 2014 12:31 pm ET

Steve Wojciechowski already boasts one of the nation's best recruiting classes. (Getty)

When I visited Marquette in late August I walked away convinced college basketball fans would soon realize Steve Wojciechowski is much more than the 20-year-old floor-slapping cartoon character people still, for whatever reason, hold onto so tightly.

He's 38 now.

He's married.

He has children.

Woj scores another
Top-10 forward picks Marquette

And, more to the point, he's two decades removed from the day he enrolled at Duke, meaning he's had a long time -- years and years and years -- to transition from player to coach and plan for this moment, i.e., the moment when he finally took over his own program.

To be clear, this could've happened years ago.

Wojciechowski could be the coach at Dayton right now, if he wanted.

But he passed on that opportunity in 2011 -- which cleared the way for Archie Miller -- and waited for something bigger and better. And that bigger-and-better something presented itself in March when Buzz Williams left Marquette for a set of fresh expectations.

Anyway, Wojciechowski has now been at Marquette a little more than six months.

The first noticeably significant thing he did was secure a commitment from BYU transfer Matt Carlino, who will be eligible this season. Then came a commitment from Nick Noskowiak, a four-star point guard from the Class of 2015, and that development was followed by commitments from Matt Heldt and Haanif Cheatham, a four-star center and four-star shooting guard, both from the Class of 2015. So, clearly, things have long been looking good. But Wojciechowski's signature moment to date came Thursday, when he received a commitment from Henry Ellenson, a five-star power forward and consensus top-10 prospect from the Class of 2015.

And the Marquette family is excited to have him, I'm certain.

According to Mark Miller, editor of the Wisconsin Basketball Yearbook, Ellenson will be the highest-rated recruit to play for Marquette since Doc Rivers began his college career in 1980, which is obviously remarkable. I mean, think about all of the accomplished men who have coached Marquette between now and then -- guys like Rick Majerus, Kevin O'Neill, Tom Crean and Buzz Williams. Now understand that none of them ever took a commitment from a recruit as heralded as Ellenson, and then you'll be able to grasp the significance of this moment for this historically strong and enthusiastically supported program.

That might be true, by the way.

Yes, Marquette enrolled Henry Ellenson's brother, Wally Ellenson, in July, and that's worth mentioning, if only because some of you have already mentioned it on Twitter. So, in the spirit of honesty, I'll say this: Wally Ellenson is a transfer from Minnesota better equipped to contribute at the so-called mid-major level than at a Big East program, and it would be naive to suggest Wojciechowski didn't take that commitment with this commitment in mind.

Clearly, the two things are connected.

We don't have to lie to each other about it.

But anybody using Wally Ellenson's enrollment to discount Henry Ellenson's commitment is wildly missing the point, because all Wally Ellenson's enrollment shows me is that Wojciechowski is smart enough to know what he needs to do to secure a program-changing recruit. You get 13 scholarships in basketball, and you really only need eight or nine talented players to compete at the highest level.

So why not spend a scholarship on an inferior prospect to help secure a top-10 recruit?

Wojciechowski shouldn't be criticized for that.

He should be applauded.

And he'll never regret that decision, I promise you.

Either way, the bottom line is the bottom line, and the bottom line is this: Steve Wojciechowski, barely six months into his first head-coaching job, has secured a class that's ranked fourth nationally. It's further proof that the Marquette officials who hired him were smart to see past the floor-slapping reputation, and the rest of the country -- especially fans of rival Big East schools -- would be wise to start taking him more seriously, too.

I don't entirely disagree with his opinion on Wally, but I think people underestimate him. He's a good/great athlete and can likely be a role player on a high level team. I'd take a chance on that kind of transfer, even without his brother.

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 02:23:05 PM »
I hope Parrish isn't waiting by his mailbox for a Christmas card from Wally this year.

I believe Wally is going to be much better than people want to give him credit for.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 02:24:08 PM »
I don't entirely disagree with his opinion on Wally, but I think people underestimate him. He's a good/great athlete and can likely be a role player on a high level team. I'd take a chance on that kind of transfer, even without his brother.

+1

From what I have heard, The Kangaroo Kid is the best athlete on the team. Just needs to work on his fundamentals. If Wojo can drill some fundamentals into the kid, he could be a really solid player....or at least become the white Lawrence "Trend" Blackledge.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 02:36:51 PM »
Taking a chance on Wally's development led to Henry's commitment.   I fail to see a downside, or even how it can be construed as squirmy.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 02:40:27 PM »
Not to mention he is a huge get for the Track and Field program.

Barring injury, he will likely be the most decorated MU Track and Field athlete in over half a century.  He could very well bring a national championship to Marquette before the basketball team does.
Have some patience, FFS.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2014, 03:00:58 PM »
+1

From what I have heard, The Kangaroo Kid is the best athlete on the team. Just needs to work on his fundamentals. If Wojo can drill some fundamentals into the kid, he could be a really solid player....or at least become the white Lawrence "Trend" Blackledge.

I can't tell you how bad I want to change my screen name to "White Trend Blackledge".

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2014, 03:53:24 PM »
If Wally is only a mid major talent, a bunch of big conference teams screwed up, including two Big Ten teams, one Big 12, one SEC, one Pac 12, one Big East....all offered him scholarships from high school. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2014, 04:13:58 PM »
Taking a chance on Wally's development led to Henry's commitment.   I fail to see a downside, or even how it can be construed as squirmy.   

It's only squirmy if the other team's coach does it!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Shark

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2014, 05:11:53 PM »
Jeez. Wally barely played on Minnesota. This guy is acting like he started the first 10 games and didn't produce. Wally (from what I know) is a world class athlete. Why wouldn't you take a chance on a kid like that, especially if he has an entire year to refine his basketball skills in practice. That's without even mentioning the fact that he is a huge addition to the track team.

Other than his criticisms of Wally I agree with him.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2014, 06:51:14 PM »

I fail to see one iota of squirmy in this....it's just vadger hacks going off.

Imagine this scenario for the Vadgers:

Two brothers, let's say twins, are high school seniors and one is a 3 star kid while his brother is a 5 star top 10 player.  The 3 star kid is ok, doesn't fit what the the coach wants but the 5 star kid was made for their program.  BUT, it's a package deal....have to take both twins.   Vadger fans would be lying their fool arses off and so would Bo if they would go after both. 

It's sad to me how much BS Wally is taking from people.  The kid was a legit recruit and got offers from Oklahoma State, Saint Louis, Nebraska...actually on scholarship at Minnesota.  You would think he was a walk on at Mt. St. Mary's some of the BS that some people are writing.  Let alone that he's a 5 star track and field athlete.  Parrish should keep sucking Buzz's balls.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2014, 06:54:05 PM »

It isn't squirmy at all.   That is my point.   Wally is a D1 talent.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2014, 06:58:12 PM »
I fail to see one iota of squirmy in this....it's just vadger hacks going off.

Imagine this scenario for the Vadgers:

Two brothers, let's say twins, are high school seniors and one is a 3 star kid while his brother is a 5 star top 10 player.  The 3 star kid is ok, doesn't fit what the the coach wants but the 5 star kid was made for their program.  BUT, it's a package deal....have to take both twins.   Vadger fans would be lying their fool arses off and so would Bo if they would go after both. 

It's sad to me how much BS Wally is taking from people.  The kid was a legit recruit and got offers from Oklahoma State, Saint Louis, Nebraska...actually on scholarship at Minnesota.  You would think he was a walk on at Mt. St. Mary's some of the BS that some people are writing.  Let alone that he's a 5 star track and field athlete.  Parrish should keep sucking Buzz's balls.

Totally agree. Wally is taking a lot of cheap shots. Will he play in the NBA? Doubtful. But he's an elite athlete who has a year to work on his jumper. It's not outside the realm of possibility to think he can become a valuable player off the bench.

As far as Vadger fans, gotta hand it to them. They all know the talking points and they always stick to the script.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2014, 07:09:09 PM »
+1

Hell--the guy can almost do the flop over the rim. Love to see him do a Dr. J dunk.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2014, 08:41:03 PM »
+1

If this is true, Wojo may see him similarly to a Miles Plumlee who he had at Duke.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2014, 09:36:08 PM »
I can't tell you how bad I want to change my screen name to "White Trend Blackledge".

Traditional Blackledge

MU82

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2014, 10:13:00 PM »
It isn't squirmy at all.   That is my point.   Wally is a D1 talent.   

I gotta remember to use teal.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

feedback