Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Is this the highest rated class ever for a first-time head coach?  (Read 6152 times)

wardle2wade

• All American
It's a fairly unique example, and I can't imagine this has ever happened before.  We have a first year head coach who now has a top-5 class locked up prior to coaching his first ever official game. 

Anyone have any other examples of this?  It's pretty damn impressive. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Is this the highest rated class ever for a first-time head coach?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 02:37:19 AM »
It's a fairly unique example, and I can't imagine this has ever happened before.  We have a first year head coach who now has a top-5 class locked up prior to coaching his first ever official game.  

Anyone have any other examples of this?  It's pretty damn impressive.  

Final rankings don't come out until the Summer, nothing is locked up.  Yes, very impressive first class (or any class, for that matter).  I would guess if you go back to the old days, someone like Denny Crum may have done it.  Bill Guthridge?  Steve Lavin had a number of #1 classes, but not sure if he had a top 5 before he started due to how he was thrust into the job so late.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 03:14:28 AM by ChicosBailBonds »

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 05:42:14 AM »
Final rankings don't come out until the Summer, nothing is locked up.  Yes, very impressive first class (or any class, for that matter).  I would guess if you go back to the old days, someone like Denny Crum may have done it.  Bill Guthridge?  Steve Lavin had a number of #1 classes, but not sure if he had a top 5 before he started due to how he was thrust into the job so late.
to be clear: I think we're talking first time head coach... Meaning their career record is 0-0. Not just first year at a new school.

Maybe Kevin Ollie?
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 06:11:32 AM »
I can remember when Georgetown hired a 29 year old high school coach named John Thompson out of Washington D.C. St. Anthony's.  Keep in mind that Georgetown was a nothing in college basketball circles and only 6 years earlier had no applicants when it first posted the coaching opening. 

Thompson had a 6-9 high school All-American named Merlin Wilson at St. Anthony's and also signed Wilson's high school teammates Jonathan Smith and Greg Brooks.  They, along with another local kid, Billy Lynn, were the start of Georgetown's success.

If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

mug644

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 06:32:30 AM »
How about Josh Pastner's first class at Memphis?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 07:05:23 AM »
Pat Kennedy's first class at DePaul was among the top-ranked in he country in 1998, if not #1.

Dan

• Walk-On
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2014, 07:10:43 AM »
What about Steve Fisher at Michigan?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2014, 07:31:02 AM »
What about Steve Fisher at Michigan?

The Fab Five was his second recruiting class at Michigan.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2014, 08:17:07 AM »
to be clear: I think we're talking first time head coach... Meaning their career record is 0-0. Not just first year at a new school.

Maybe Kevin Ollie?

The examples I gave were all first time head coaches

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2014, 09:26:42 AM »
We're top 5 now. Probably between 8-15 when all is said and done.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2014, 09:35:10 AM »

Maybe Kevin Ollie?

Are you referring to K-Oll's 2012 class or 2013 class?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2014, 09:28:43 AM »
Kevin O'Neill's first class of six - four HS guys and two transfers - has to be in the discussion.  Three top 100 guys from Wisconsin, including two big men, and a top 125 guy from Illinois, Charles Brakes.  a former top 50 guy, Ron Curry transferring from Arizona, and a former top 100 guy from Milwaukee, Keith Smart, transferring from Purdue.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2014, 12:05:57 PM »
Does Larry Bronze at SMU count?  I can't recall exactly, but I'm pretty sure his first class at SMU was top 5 (though it's not his first time as a head coach)

I have long tried to get people on board with calling Larry Brown "Larry Bronze" as a result of the embarrassing showing at the 04 olympics.  It never stuck, but I have yet to relent.  Bronze medal, smh. (I also called LeBron, "LeBronze," for a while but that too never stuck, partly because of the redeem team in 08)

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2014, 12:12:41 PM »
Does Larry Bronze at SMU count?  I can't recall exactly, but I'm pretty sure his first class at SMU was top 5 (though it's not his first time as a head coach)

I have long tried to get people on board with calling Larry Brown "Larry Bronze" as a result of the embarrassing showing at the 04 olympics.  It never stuck, but I have yet to relent.  Bronze medal, smh. (I also called LeBron, "LeBronze," for a while but that too never stuck, partly because of the redeem team in 08)
Brown was at UCLA and Kansas previously.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2014, 02:10:13 PM »
Great class None the less.

feedback