Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Al Gets A Facelift  (Read 18405 times)

Coleman

• All American
Re: Al Gets A Facelift
« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2014, 01:48:12 PM »
+1 I guess we need a new Jes Res for the 6 (or whatever) total Jesuits in the city of Milwaukee before we update our 100 year old dorms (I'm thinking Tower).

the  new Jes Res is entirely funded by a donation specifically earmarked for that project.

What would you have had Marquette do, turn down the donation?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 01:51:59 PM by Bleutellenson »

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2014, 01:51:07 PM »
the entire  new Jes Res project is entirely funded by a donation specifically earmarked for that project.

Not only that, the maintenance costs of the current Jes Res are high and getting worse as the building ages.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2014, 01:56:53 PM »
the  new Jes Res is entirely funded by a donation specifically earmarked for that project.

Yea, unfortunately that was the case. I just wish that particular donor would have put that money into something more useful for the University.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #53 on: October 08, 2014, 02:11:00 PM »
Yea, unfortunately that was the case. I just wish that particular donor would have put that money into something more useful for the University.

I heard President Lovell say at the Chicago Meeting that he wants to make Marquette the top Jesuit University in the U.S., and that the new Jes Res will help attract the top Jesuit scholars.  Makes sense to me.
Have some patience, FFS.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #54 on: October 08, 2014, 02:14:48 PM »
Per President Lovell's AMA on Reddit, [a new business school] is at the top of the priority list.

The Wehr buildings are dated-looking aesthetically...but they are perfectly functional as classroom buildings.  

This is from Lovell's AMA on Reddit yesterday:  "We are getting ready to complete a master plan for campus, and both the Biology building and the Business School will be near the top of the list for new academic buildings on campus."  This was in response to a question about building a new business school.  So, even though the question focused on the B School, he added the reference to the Biology Building.  Obviously, that suggests that it's also at the top of the priority list for academic buildings.

I also note that this answer specifically refers to "new academic buildings" which doesn't necessarily mean that these are priorities over non-academic buildings such as dorms and/or rec centers.  In fact, in response to a question about his plans for improvements to "academics, facilities and campus life" he began with, "Well, you need to focus on making the student experience second to none. And that includes utilizing more technology for delivering content in the classroom, having dormitory, recreational and other facilities that fit the current needs of the student body..."  This suggests (to me at least) that there might be some non-academic projects that also are priorities.  I'm guessing that Marquette is going to be spending a lot of money in the next 10-15 years.

Edited to add:  I see he also addressed dorms directly:  "Well, when I look at the dormitories on campus, there are a number of them that are aging. So our goal, over the next 6 months, is to develop a plan for addressing the needed upgrades in the dormitories on campus."

« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 02:18:15 PM by StillAWarrior »
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2014, 02:33:51 PM »

You're telling me that the university does nothing to prioritize how it seeks out major donations for new buildings?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #56 on: October 08, 2014, 02:42:03 PM »
I heard President Lovell say at the Chicago Meeting that he wants to make Marquette the top Jesuit University in the U.S., and that the new Jes Res will help attract the top Jesuit scholars.  Makes sense to me.

If we even get mentioned in the same breath as BC and Georgetown Id be ok with that let alone being the best Jesuit school in the US
Maigh Eo for Sam

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #57 on: October 08, 2014, 02:44:23 PM »

I dunno, personally I don't see the appeal, but that's just me and my opinion. Why not just upgrade other buildings to attract the best scholars, not just Jesuit.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #58 on: October 08, 2014, 03:09:48 PM »
You're telling me that the university does nothing to prioritize how it seeks out major donations for new buildings?

I'm sure there is prioritization. I'm also sure there are many alumni who have an affinity for the Jesuits, and wanted to give back to the Jesuit community, whether or not its a high priority for the university as a whole.

Remember, no Jesuits, no Marquette. A nice home for them isn't that outrageous IMO.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #59 on: October 08, 2014, 03:11:52 PM »
Not saying it's not necessary.  I am saying that it shouldn't be built with basketball money.

It's the same argument as the people who say the basketball budget should be slashed and that money should be used for need-based scholarships.

And Bradley has to have a nice rec center...because it's Bradley...and it's in Peoria...

Marquette Rec Center is a joke. With the competition for students getting more fierce, the school needs to step up.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #60 on: October 08, 2014, 03:46:59 PM »
If you're bitching about dorms, haven't been to ND or the majority of B1G schools in the last ten years.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #61 on: October 08, 2014, 03:51:53 PM »
If you're bitching about dorms, haven't been to ND or the majority of B1G schools in the last ten years.

Basic freshman dorms at Illinois, NU and SIU>>>Marquette. Straz and McCabe are nice. Abbotsford is decent too but other than that...Not much going for MU.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #62 on: October 08, 2014, 03:54:25 PM »
Basic freshman dorms at Illinois, NU and SIU>>>Marquette. Straz and McCabe are nice. Abbotsford is decent too but other than that...Not much going for MU.

Woah Schroeder is no worse than witty hall @madison. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #63 on: October 08, 2014, 04:23:22 PM »
Are there any Title IX implications from this?  Does the women's team have a comparable locker room with leather chairs, blue and gold mood lighting and a 90" TV?

That is a good question.  From what I understand about Title IX, competition sites play a role, but I am not sure if that extends to practice sites.  My guess is no because Marquette understands this stuff.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #64 on: October 08, 2014, 05:46:35 PM »
I dunno, personally I don't see the appeal, but that's just me and my opinion. Why not just upgrade other buildings to attract the best scholars, not just Jesuit.

Because there are no Jesuits living in the Wehr Physics building.  If you say that you need good dorms to attract top students, you can't argue that you don't need a good Jes Res to attract top Jesuit scholars.
Have some patience, FFS.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #65 on: October 08, 2014, 06:59:21 PM »
Man I worked at Phonathon and you'd be surprised the stuff that people use as a reason not to donate and when you get a place as full of memories as Mckormick the alumni association (or even just a large enough group of alumni) could stop donations.

My reason for not donating for Phonathon: it's not 1990, use e-mail.   :D  Seriously though, I leave my e-mail when I donate online every year, it's on file with the AA and probably several other places.  Yet I get 100 phone calls, a dozen letters by the pony express, and zero e-mails. 

This is from Lovell's AMA on Reddit yesterday:  "We are getting ready to complete a master plan for campus, and both the Biology building and the Business School will be near the top of the list for new academic buildings on campus."  This was in response to a question about building a new business school.  So, even though the question focused on the B School, he added the reference to the Biology Building.  Obviously, that suggests that it's also at the top of the priority list for academic buildings.

Edited to add:  I see he also addressed dorms directly:  "Well, when I look at the dormitories on campus, there are a number of them that are aging. So our goal, over the next 6 months, is to develop a plan for addressing the needed upgrades in the dormitories on campus."

Awesome news.  Pres. Lovell has been incredibly active.  Glad to see he knows that the dorms need upgrading.  Even more pleased that he knows the business school needs an upgrade.  Did grad school at Villanova, and the VSB facilities are light years ahead Straz.

Not only freshman dorms, but also considering sophomore dorms - since a good number of schools don't require sophomores live in dorms, they've at least got to make them as comfortable as Straz and McCabe.  It's a tough sell to prospective students of the "entitlement" generation that odds are good they'll go from McCormick to Schroeder versus a nicer, newer dorm to an apartment. 

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #66 on: October 08, 2014, 07:50:31 PM »
Been a while since I've spent time in a Marquette dorm, but I can say with 100% certainty that NU's dorms suck major ass.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #67 on: October 09, 2014, 01:07:00 AM »
Not saying it's not necessary.  I am saying that it shouldn't be built with basketball money.

It's the same argument as the people who say the basketball budget should be slashed and that money should be used for need-based scholarships.

And Bradley has to have a nice rec center...because it's Bradley...and it's in Peoria...

You just made a powerful enemy, my erstwhile friend.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

wojosdojo

• All American
« Reply #68 on: October 09, 2014, 01:28:24 AM »

Yeah, but the dorms at Marquette are eyesores. At least at ND they look appealing from the outside.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #69 on: October 10, 2014, 12:32:33 AM »
I'm sure there is prioritization. I'm also sure there are many alumni who have an affinity for the Jesuits, and wanted to give back to the Jesuit community, whether or not its a high priority for the university as a whole.

Remember, no Jesuits, no Marquette. A nice home for them isn't that outrageous IMO.

Count me as one of those.

There is no doubt that the university prioritizes its fundraising channels.  And maybe a new JesRes was high on their list, maybe not.  But if a donation for a new JesRes falls in their lap, they're going to use it.

At the very least it's one more new, nice-looking building on campus

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #70 on: October 10, 2014, 09:16:19 AM »
Count me as one of those.

There is no doubt that the university prioritizes its fundraising channels.  And maybe a new JesRes was high on their list, maybe not.  But if a donation for a new JesRes falls in their lap, they're going to use it.

At the very least it's one more new, nice-looking building on campus

Right, and the building for the current Jes Res is 80 years old. So it would need to be replaced eventually, and I'm sure maintenance costs were piling up. It is also about twice as big as it needs to be, for the number of Jesuits we have on campus.

The new Jes Res will be smaller, more efficient, and is entirely funded by a donation. So not only will it be a new shiny building on campus, it will also lower maintenance and utility costs for the university. Its a win-win.

MUMountin

• All American
« Reply #71 on: October 10, 2014, 10:35:36 AM »
Right, and the building for the current Jes Res is 80 years old. So it would need to be replaced eventually, and I'm sure maintenance costs were piling up. It is also about twice as big as it needs to be, for the number of Jesuits we have on campus.

The new Jes Res will be smaller, more efficient, and is entirely funded by a donation. So not only will it be a new shiny building on campus, it will also lower maintenance and utility costs for the university. Its a win-win.

I also think that this was probably part of the long-term plan for the campus to move it from the current location to free that space up for something else.  My guess is that by moving the footprint of the JesRes, it also opens up possibilities down the road for long-term growth and expansion, especially in that crucial area that connects the AMU and campus life side of campus with Raynor and the academic side.  Currently, the JesRes splits that area up, and not with anything that is used by most of the campus population.  So, I think this will help overall with the flow of campus, while also giving the Jebbies a much deserved and appropriate upgrade for their housing.

The AMU is now, what, over twenty years old?  It may be that this sets up, long-term, for either an addition to or redoing of the AMU.  Probably not in the immediate future, but somewhere down the line.  My guess is that we'll also see the Varsity eventually get replaced, and they'll do something with all of that space. 

GOO

• All American
« Reply #72 on: October 10, 2014, 11:04:34 AM »
I think the bigger issues that colleges will face is scholarships and retaining top faculty.  Many of the absolute best schools have these pieces taken care of already.  For the rest, I have to question what attracts and keeps the best professors and students.  Is it facilities or money (new buildings or top pay and full ride scholarships)?  It is easy to say all the above.  But only a few schools are able to have great facilities and great full time professors that are paid very well and plenty of scholarship money. 

Choices have to be made at MU and I hope that scholarships don't continue to be pushed aside for new buildings.

It is always a battle between facilities and scholarships/endowments.   If you want the best students, you have to have plenty of free rides to give out.  The role of the traditional college is changing, and the ability to finance with loans may become more limited for students.  Schools with money to offer students will have a bigger advantage over the next 20 years if the current trends continue.   

I don't know enough to understand where the line is between facilities and scholarships to attract students, but I'd bet someone being offered a free ride and overlook a less than perfect dorm or Rec Center.  Obviously, the schools with it all will be in the best position, but I'd rather have solid but not spectacular facilities and a free ride if I were a high school junior/senior.     

feedback