'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Down to MU/Kentucky?  (Read 18334 times)

pacearrow02

• Starter
Down to MU/Kentucky?
« on: October 07, 2014, 08:51:04 AM »
http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/1460827.html?utm_content=bufferb147e&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Didn't sound like he was blown away by Izzo.  But seems to be very interested in what Coach Cal has to offer with his history of producing NBA talent.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 10:54:02 AM by mu_hilltopper »

ATLmarquettefan

• Scholarship Player
Re: Down to MU/Kentucky
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 08:56:53 AM »
You must be a mind reader because I don't know how you got the conclusion he's down to MU/UK from that article.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 08:57:24 AM »
These interviews are all the same and the answers are very canned.  I don' t think you can take too much from this.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 08:59:58 AM »
"That's something I want to do early?" Shiver.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 09:00:12 AM »
I do understand the NBA draw, obviously. But do they "produce" NBA talent? Or do NBA talent kids just stop by Kentucky for a year? SOunds like Ellenson will be in the NBA regardless of where he goes, so if that's the major draw to Kentucky I like MU's chances.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 09:03:13 AM »
These interviews are all the same and the answers are very canned.  I don' t think you can take too much from this.

He pretty much says that he does not want to be a 4 year player, which I think we all assumed but I've not seen any interview where he essentially confirms that. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2014, 09:06:19 AM »
He pretty much says that he does not want to be a 4 year player, which I think we all assumed but I've not seen any interview where he essentially confirms that. 

Yeah we assumed it because he's one of the top ranked players in his class.  And because he is interested in Kentucky.  If HE comes to MU, he won't be here four years.  My guess is two at the most - exiting when his brother does.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2014, 09:14:32 AM »
You must be a mind reader because I don't know how you got the conclusion he's down to MU/UK from that article.

While he doesn't eliminate Michigan State with his comments, they are about as vanilla as you can get.

His comments about MU and Kentucky shed some light on what he considers the strengths of both schools.

My reading of the tea leaves is that his heart is with MU while his brain is with Kentucky.  My guess is that he goes with whichever school balances out the flip side of the equation from their strength best.  Here's hoping that Wojo's ability to develop outweighs Cal's ability to make Henry feel at home.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 09:17:56 AM by LittleEllenson »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2014, 09:17:06 AM »
"That's something I want to do early?" Shiver.

To me, the real shivers would come from an entire winter of the Henry Ellenson watch on Scoop.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2014, 09:45:44 AM »
So when is "the first signing date?"

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2014, 09:48:32 AM »

Wednesday, 11/12/14....

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2014, 09:49:17 AM »

November 12-19th is the first signing period.

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2014, 09:53:21 AM »
Do kids really think that players like John Wall, Demarcus Cousins and Anthony Davis made it to the NBA quickly because they went to Kentucky?  Pretty sure they would have been one and done lottery picks no matter where they went.  They could have taken a year to play video games and smoke weed and probably would have ended up the same.  But the fact that Henry is focused on that track record makes me think he's probably going to end up at Kentucky.

By the way, the title of this thread is obnoxious.  MSU is not out of it.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2014, 09:56:52 AM »
Couldn't agree anymore. I'll cut him some slack as a newbie though.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2014, 10:03:58 AM »
Can you get to medical school from Slippery Rock? Sure, but likely a little easier comin' from Harvard, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2014, 10:18:49 AM »
Msu still in it.

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2014, 10:20:39 AM »
Can you get to medical school from Slippery Rock? Sure, but likely a little easier comin' from Harvard, aina?

Hopefully Henry has talked to Luke Fischer about that.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2014, 10:28:09 AM »
Do kids really think that players like John Wall, Demarcus Cousins and Anthony Davis made it to the NBA quickly because they went to Kentucky?  Pretty sure they would have been one and done lottery picks no matter where they went.  They could have taken a year to play video games and smoke weed and probably would have ended up the same.  But the fact that Henry is focused on that track record makes me think he's probably going to end up at Kentucky.

I would dare argue that the Kentucky system actually harms a lot of potential players as they don't have time to develop as leaders and it essentially forces them out. Obviously there are huge exceptions that you mentioned but loads have been dropped down or haven't done great. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2014, 10:31:05 AM »
Let us know when it is down to 1--MU!. My lack of money is on the Duke of the Midwest--and that is not MSU. Love Izzo, but not right now. If he picks Calcheatucky, then he deserves the ride he gets there. But it's a free country, right? And he will definitely be getting freebies at Kentucky, even more than the NCAA permits.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Sharpie

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2014, 10:36:43 AM »

I live right by Slippery Rock.

Sharpie

• Team Captain
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2014, 10:39:33 AM »
Not that living by slippery rock means anything coming from me.

In regards to Ellenson, MSU is clearly not out of it since he hasn't said that. Let's respect the process. But I sure do hope he lands at MU. But can't count out any of the others just yet.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2014, 11:13:25 AM »

Hell, Noah Vonleh was a top 10 pick after a less than spectacular one year stint at a school in southern Indiana that missed all tourneys (NCAA, NIT, etc) for the 4th time in the last 6 years. If you're good (or even look like you'll become good) the NBA will find you.

GGGG

• All American
Re: Down to MU/Kentucky?
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2014, 11:20:59 AM »
I wouldn't doubt that Wojo has tried to sell HE on his experience with one-and-dones while at Duke, and how he might be able to prepare and showcase him for the NBA just as well as Cal could.  He had Jabari Parker on campus the same time to perhaps reinforce that message. 

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2014, 11:23:58 AM »
I would dare argue that the Kentucky system actually harms a lot of potential players as they don't have time to develop as leaders and it essentially forces them out. Obviously there are huge exceptions that you mentioned but loads have been dropped down or haven't done great. 

Yes, Kyle Wiltjer is probably an example of this.  Loads of talent but never really got the chance to shine at Kentucky and will be better off at Gonzaga.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2014, 12:10:08 PM »
MSU is clearly not out of it since he hasn't said that. Let's respect the process. But I sure do hope he lands at MU. But can't count out any of the others just yet.

Clearly this thread and the last few months remind me of the first time I saw the Iocaine powder scene in The Princess Bride.  I'm about ready to request some Iocaine powder if this goes on much longer.