[Today at 12:54:01 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 12:00:22 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Ellenson's visit to East Lansing  (Read 39978 times)

Tums Festival

• All American
Re: Ellenson's visit to East Lansing
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2014, 07:52:45 AM »
My final three schools were the same as Henry's. Never seriously considered UK but felt the $10 application fee was worth the fun. Took an unofficial to MSU (went to the football game that weekend where the Spartans were blown out by an Art Schlichter-led OSU team) in the fall of my senior year and then took an official to MU shortly after that. Committed to MU on my visit and have never regretted that decision, unlike several others through the years.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 07:57:17 AM by Heavy Ellenson Gear »
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

ThatDude

• Starter
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2014, 08:04:31 AM »
My final three schools were the same as Henry's. Never seriously considered UK but felt the $10 application fee was worth the fun. Took an unofficial to MSU (went to the football game that weekend where the Spartans were blown out by an Art Schlichter-led OSU team) in the fall of my senior year and then took an official to MU shortly after that. Committed to MU on my visit and have never regretted that decision, unlike several others through the years.

Thanks for sharing. Can you please tell us the differences between a public university and Marquette?

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2014, 08:12:32 AM »
I took the Nick Flory path. Committed as soon as I was old enough. Boston College attempted to get me to decommit. Even took an unofficial.

Same. When I was 16 and visited my brother for the first time without my parents I knew MU was the place for me. He picked me up at the airport, we grabbed a bite to eat, then stopped and got a keg before we even got back to campus. An hour later a full on party was going. Once the keg was running dry they snuck me into Angelo's where the owner Mike gave me my first fake ID. I was on-top of the world. I basically committed that night because whenever someone asked me if I was having a good time I would tell them that if I get in I'm coming to MU.

10 years later my family went 4-4 with all of us going to Marquette.
Bring back FFP!!!

LAMUfan

• All American
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2014, 08:26:48 AM »
was that ID a Will D Turkey printed on unlaminated paper?  I feel like I left a few of those with mike

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2014, 08:41:33 AM »
I took the Nick Flory path. Committed as soon as I was old enough. Boston College attempted to get me to decommit. Even took an unofficial.

Who is Nick Flory?  Any relation to Philip?

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2014, 08:50:04 AM »
was that ID a Will D Turkey printed on unlaminated paper?  I feel like I left a few of those with mike

It was an Indiana ID. He brought out a shoebox filled with them and riffled through em until he landed on one that he thought looked like me. Mike was the man.
Bring back FFP!!!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2014, 09:24:55 AM »
Xavier had me all but locked up and let me slip through their fingers.  I was a package deal and my friends weren't willing to go to Xavier.  Xavier's loss is Marquette's gain, I suppose.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2014, 09:34:44 AM »
I went to a Jesuit high school. They pushed Georgetown and Holy Cross - and Marquette as a back up/safety alternative. Family (Midwest, Catholic) wanted Notre Dame. Four years of an all boys high school was enough, so I said no to Notre Dame and Holy Cross. Georgetown was 1000 miles from Northbrook, Il, Marquette was 70. I was dating the prettiest girl in Northbrook and she was a year behind me in school. So I "settled" for Marquette. I had way too much fun at MU to want to come home for visits, so the girl and I were pretty much done by Thanksgiving. But 48 years later I'm still grateful to her for helping me choose MU. Because of her (and my wanting to "just say no" to ND and Holy Cross) I "committed" to Marquette like JFB and Jae - no visit necessary. I lived 70 miles from 13th and Wisconsin, and the first time I saw the campus was when my parents dropped me off at Schroeder Hall. Lucky day for me.

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2014, 11:38:31 AM »
Thanks for sharing. Can you please tell us the differences between a public university and Marquette?

??

ThatDude

• Starter
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2014, 12:48:56 PM »

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2014, 02:17:12 PM »
Public vs private

The main thing in Marquette's favor was class size, as in fewer lecture-type classes. Also liked the urban setting since it was a nice change from the small town I grew up in.

DoggyDaddy

• Team Captain
  • We're Warriors son, not Beagles.
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2014, 02:39:52 PM »
I went to MU and MSU, the latter for grad school.  
I love both schools: their culture, their traditions, their basketball.
I went to MU when Al was coach and we won a championship.
I went to MSU when Magic played his only two years and we won a championship.
The campuses are polar opposites in appearance: cracked sidewalks vs. an arboretum. Both are beautiful to me.
10K students vs nearly 50K so for every coed at MU, MSU has 5.  But it is the right one that matters, right?
Real Chili vs Beggar's Banquet chili, a tie if the latter is less than 5 alarm.
Frozen custard at Leon's or Copp's vs the Dairy Store on the south campus, another tie but Leon's also has great dogs and Spanish hamburgers.      
Having said all that I believe MU is the better choice for an undergraduate education and if nurturing one's soul is a college goal.

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2014, 03:25:42 PM »
Izzo's track record of success vs. Wojo's inexperience.
Far from home at a big state school vs. staying in state close to family and playing with your brother and Nosko.

I no longer hold my breath on these things, but I really hope he picks us.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2014, 04:19:05 PM »
Izzo's track record of success vs. Wojo's inexperience.
Far from home at a big state school vs. staying in state close to family and playing with your brother and Nosko.

I no longer hold my breath on these things, but I really hope he picks us.

I truly believe that Kentucky is and always has been the bigger threat. Strictly opinion though
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

PJDunn

• All American
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2014, 04:54:30 PM »
If Cal wants him, the Colonels will cut the check.  The family might like Wojo, but financial security is tough to beat.

sodakmu87

• Walk-On
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2014, 05:50:25 PM »
I went to MU and then University of North Dakota for med school.  Sadly, both schools had or were pressured  to change their politically incorrect mascots over the years and both had the same reactions from alums.  "Fighting Sioux" and "Warriors" are no longer with us.  There were a lot of UND to MSU connections for residencies but I went to Texas.  I cannot say anything bad about MSU but you can't beat being downtown in a city like Milwaukee for an education!

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2014, 05:53:31 PM »
If Cal wants him, the Colonels will cut the check.  The family might like Wojo, but financial security is tough to beat.

I mean I can't really see the Ellensons being a family that would need financial security. From Rice Lake and they don't have to pay for either of their sons college education.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2014, 06:20:55 PM »
I mean I can't really see the Ellensons being a family that would need financial security. From Rice Lake and they don't have to pay for either of their sons college education.

Plus there's something called the "NBA" waiting for their younger son. I hear you get paid okay there.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2014, 06:24:03 PM »
Plus there's something called the "NBA" waiting for their younger son. I hear you get paid okay there.

In addition, John himself has been through the recruiting process. He certainly understands what's proper—and what isn't. I would never suggest he'd be cool with Cal cutting a check.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2014, 06:36:48 PM »
I truly believe that Kentucky is and always has been the bigger threat. Strictly opinion though

Does Kentucky offer that much more than Duke ( That henry cut from his list) ??
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2014, 09:14:52 PM »

You can always use more money.

But I don't think that's how they'll decide. Henry is getting to the NBA. They'll decide based on who can get him the best position once he gets there. I really think that's us. Depending on how the team does this year, Kentucky could have anywhere from 1-7 players go pro. My guess is four (Harrison twins, Towns Jr, and one other). That means Kentucky would have three schollies left. If get Newman and Brown like their projected to, that would leave Henry as about the 5th or 6th guy on their bench. At Marquette, he would be a star from day one
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2014, 09:15:48 PM »

Does Kentucky offer that much more than Duke ( That henry cut from his list) ??

Kentucky's package is unique. No other school can match it. If the one and done experience is what they want, Kentucky is the best
TAMU

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2014, 09:33:43 PM »
You can always use more money.

But I don't think that's how they'll decide. Henry is getting to the NBA. They'll decide based on who can get him the best position once he gets there. I really think that's us. Depending on how the team does this year, Kentucky could have anywhere from 1-7 players go pro. My guess is four (Harrison twins, Towns Jr, and one other). That means Kentucky would have three schollies left. If get Newman and Brown like their projected to, that would leave Henry as about the 5th or 6th guy on their bench. At Marquette, he would be a star from day one

I think it's a little premature to say Henry will undoubtedly make it to the NBA. Brian Butch was a consensus top 10 player in high school and look how he turned out.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2014, 09:36:16 PM »
Kentucky's package is unique. No other school can match it. If the one and done experience is what they want, Kentucky is the best
Why do you think their package is unique?

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2014, 09:44:22 PM »
Why do you think their package is unique?

Here's a guess, from wiki. The Wildcats have played in a record 53 NCAA Tournaments and 163 NCAA Tournament games, and hold the records for most Sweet Sixteen appearances (40), most Elite Eight appearances (35), and most total postseason tournament appearances (62). Further, Kentucky has played in 16 Final Fours (3rd place all time, behind UCLA and North Carolina), and 12 NCAA Championship games (tied for most with UCLA). Kentucky also leads all schools with 58 20-win seasons, 13 30-win seasons, and is the only school with 5 different NCAA Championship coaches (Rupp, Hall, Pitino, Smith, Calipari).

And to top it off, coach Cal has sent 19 kids to the draft in 5 years. It's impressive.

feedback