collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: St. Ignatius is our general; he is in need of a new breed of WARRIORS  (Read 7513 times)

cap82

• Walk-On
I recently penned this letter to Dr. Lovell and the Board of Trustees,
what do you think?
As humanity appears to be adrift across the globe, James Foley has been beheaded by evil. There is every reason to be proud that this soul, having been nurtured by loving parents and family, graduated Marquette University, served as a teacher in a title one school and then found his voice in journalism. He was held captive in Libya. His faith kept him strong. He returned to a troubled part of the world, where he was captured and beheaded. BE the DIFFERENCE. JAMES FOLEY LIVED the DIFFERENCE.

Marquette has an opportunity to announce to the world that we will re-commit to
the Pope’s decision to establish the Society of Jesus. St. Ignatius, as the first general, he dispatched a force of spiritual commandos.  All the members of the Jesuits and graduates of Jesuit institutions continue to be called to serve today. Marquette should not shy from our heritage nor from the spirit that is needed today.       
WE are the WARRIORS. We must bring the Jesuits traditions front and center wherever Marquette travels as an institution, students and alumni.

St. Ignatius is our general; he is in need of a new breed of WARRIORS.  Consider re-establishing the WARRIORS with his likeness or that of St. Joan of Arc.

RJax55

• All American
Re: St. Ignatius is our general; he is in need of a new breed of WARRIORS
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 07:47:26 PM »
What do I think?

I think your letter is a weak attempt to use a tragic and emotional event to further a self-serving pursuit of a frankly trivial matter that has long been discussed and decided.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 07:48:56 PM »
I think using the tragic death of one of the members of our community to make a bid to change the mascot back to Warriors is a stretch at best and unethical at worst.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 07:49:26 PM »
On behalf of all Marquette alum and fellow Americans....

SHAME ON YOU.

How dare you tie in a stupid collegiate nickname to the gruesome beheading of an individual.  How could you even have a thought about something like this, let alone send this letter to the President of the University.

You sir, are an embarrassment to our community.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 10:02:50 PM »
Your timing seems a bit off, but yes St. Ignatius was definitely a warrior.  RIP Mr. Foley.  I would ask that you make a donation on behalf of the James Foley scholarship and say 25 Hail Mary's.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/_4mkJJOEmBw&amp;list=UUMjx6VCvI1pZ69C0yAQt_2g&amp;index=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/_4mkJJOEmBw&amp;list=UUMjx6VCvI1pZ69C0yAQt_2g&amp;index=1</a>

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 10:19:11 PM »
Bit of a stretch but I also won't get dramatic about it and declare "SHAME".   He is suggesting Foley embodies our "warrior spirit", someone can take that outlook I suppose.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 10:26:07 PM »
Bit of a stretch but I also won't get dramatic about it and declare "SHAME".   He is suggesting Foley embodies our "warrior spirit", someone can take that outlook I suppose.

+1

Not great timing, probably not an appropriate way to rally support for a nickname, but I'm sure you meant well. Still, sending such a letter is probably not a great idea.

cap82

• Walk-On
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2014, 01:16:39 AM »
The murder of Jim Foley was tragic.
It is another reminder that life is fleeting.

The Jesuit’s mission is focused on being missionaries and educators for the Catholic Church. Their founding was at the time of the Counter Reformation; some authors described the SJ as the Pope’s commandos.

St. Ignatius, the Society’s first Superior General, laid out in his original vision for the new order, that new members were to serve as soldiers of God. Today, Jesuit’s educate high school boys and girls with the message “men/women for others” and Marquette adopted, “Be the Difference”.

In today’s world where religion is being wiped from the public square and secularism is strong in Europe and growing in this country, there is no time like the present to extend what so many of us believe strongly, the Jesuits mission is more than a catchy tag line.
We should extend the relevance of “Be the Difference”, we are products of the Warriors of the Church and some are proud to adopt that spirit in our lives.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2014, 01:49:06 PM »

The Jesuit’s mission is focused on being missionaries and educators for the Catholic Church. Their founding was at the time of the Counter Reformation; some authors described the SJ as the Pope’s commandos.

St. Ignatius, the Society’s first Superior General, laid out in his original vision for the new order, that new members were to serve as soldiers of God. Today, Jesuit’s educate high school boys and girls with the message “men/women for others” and Marquette adopted, “Be the Difference”.

In today’s world where religion is being wiped from the public square and secularism is strong in Europe and growing in this country, there is no time like the present to extend what so many of us believe strongly, the Jesuits mission is more than a catchy tag line.
We should extend the relevance of “Be the Difference”, we are products of the Warriors of the Church and some are proud to adopt that spirit in our lives.

Better, but I think you need to send two letters. One about your sorrow at Jim Foley's death. And one about changing the mascot to Warriors. If you combine them together, you are only hurting your own cause.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2014, 08:28:56 PM »

Well I for one am not terribly comfortable with mixing war like terms like "commandos" with the Christian Church at all.

And really it's just a nickname.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2014, 08:49:56 PM »
We all equate "commando" with somethin' else, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2014, 08:56:27 PM »
We all equate "commando" with somethin' else, hey?

I think I spent the 80's hangin loose

Death on call

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2014, 09:44:12 PM »
Still the most comfortable way to go.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

chapman

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2014, 09:55:07 PM »
This thread is now about going commando.

That episode was just on this week...the one with Donna Chang.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2014, 10:51:58 PM »
Keefe, can you give any insight into the etymology of the phrase "going commando"? I've always been curious

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2014, 06:11:02 AM »
Forget 'bout commando. I just wanna know what etymology means. Tryin' to raise MU's US News' rankin' by usin' them big words ain't gonna work, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2014, 10:37:41 AM »
Keefe, can you give any insight into the etymology of the phrase "going commando"? I've always been curious

Scottish units in the British Army referred to this ancient practice as "Going Regimental."  This was actually stipulated in the BAFM as a uniform requirement for Scottish soldiers who only wore kilts until 1940. Regimental Sergeant Majors took inspection with a mirror on a stick to ensure compliance.

"Going Commando" is supposed to be a modern American derivation as it references the troops going in alone without support.

To this day if I'm in Levi's I'm flying in an open cockpit - alone and unafraid.

Death on call

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2014, 12:01:54 AM »
Scottish units in the British Army referred to this ancient practice as "Going Regimental."  This was actually stipulated in the BAFM as a uniform requirement for Scottish soldiers who only wore kilts until 1940. Regimental Sergeant Majors took inspection with a mirror on a stick to ensure compliance.

"Going Commando" is supposed to be a modern American derivation as it references the troops going in alone without support.

To this day if I'm in Levi's I'm flying in an open cockpit - alone and unafraid.

frank and beans, bro.  frank and beans.