[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Ferguson, MO  (Read 30154 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Ferguson, MO
« Reply #75 on: August 19, 2014, 04:14:22 PM »
I'm sure it does bum them out, but the people of that city or jurisdiction elect their Sheriff, or Police captain.  If they don't like how they are policed, then vote differently for your elected officials and change how it is done.  Seems to me, the folks that are actually responsible and voting, want the thugs policed in that matter or it wouldn't continue.

In my view, what you said is that the distrust of the cops is why certain people act the way they do.  You've given them a reason for their actions, a crutch.  I view it as justification.  You say that isn't the case....fair enough, but that's how I read your comments.  Clearly, twice now, you have stated your concerns over cops. I have a differing view, one that the majority of Americans share.  I've also said that some cops are bad, of course they are, but most are not.  You seem to be overwhelmingly on the side of the opposite...most cops bad, some good.  If I have read you wrong, please correct me but your words seem to imply that.

I don't pretend to judge good or bad obviously there are either more cases of bad deeds or they're getting publicized more now than ever before. I have always had negative experiences with cops, I'd like to see just how much you like them after 3times in a week getting blood drawn because at 16yrs old they think you're on cocaine.  Given your personality I don't think you'd be thrilled about police.  But while my experience reflects my opinion of them it doesn't mean that I think the majority of police are bad it just means that I as an individual don't trust them and don't fault a race that is often harassed and stereotyped for doing the same.
Maigh Eo for Sam

LAZER

• All American
Ferguson, MO
« Reply #76 on: August 19, 2014, 04:15:53 PM »
Not EVERYONE hates cops.  Not even the majority hate cops.

Good try

They have a tough job, most do a great job, some do not.

It wasn't meant to be literal.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Ferguson, MO
« Reply #77 on: August 19, 2014, 04:18:55 PM »
I support more cops on the streets, but I want beat cops who know the neighborhoods, develop relationships and trust with citizens, work WITH communities to protect them and solve problems together. "Do what I say or I shoot you" is not the characterization of the kind of police I would support.

I don't want yet another branch of our bloated military.

Nor does anyone else.  Show me where anyone supports a "do as I say or I shoot you" approach?  However, that doesn't mean people get to take pot shots at them, bum rush them, spit on them call them racists or whatever.  If you do, then they have the authority to arrest you and take you in....that is far different than shooting someone.  Let's not keep going all hyperbole here.

What bloated military....it has been gutted the last 6 years.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Ferguson, MO
« Reply #78 on: August 19, 2014, 04:20:34 PM »
You are all over the place. Can we stick to one topic?

As a Marquette educated man, I expect you can weave interconnecting issues without much problem.  The media is pushing this thing as hard as they can, many with an agenda which they are paid to push to appeal to their partisan viewers.  Deny this if you wish, that is the reality.  I have great confidence you can handle the intertwining of the topics because they are still part of the main topic.

Galway Eagle

• All American
Ferguson, MO
« Reply #79 on: August 19, 2014, 04:22:18 PM »
Nor does anyone else.  Show me where anyone supports a "do as I say or I shoot you" approach?  However, that doesn't mean people get to take pot shots at them, bum rush them, spit on them call them racists or whatever.  If you do, then they have the authority to arrest you and take you in....that is far different than shooting someone.  Let's not keep going all hyperbole here.

What bloated military....it has been gutted the last 6 years.

Wait calling a cop racist gives them the right to arrest you? Isn't there some amendment that's kinda a big deal that's supposed to protect us for saying stuff?
Maigh Eo for Sam

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Ferguson, MO
« Reply #80 on: August 19, 2014, 04:24:55 PM »
Do you mean "drugs" as in scurry marijuana? I was annoyed, but those didn't change a damn thing. Rob some convenience store = justifying a murder?

You're reaching, and it's telling. The cop shot him...6 times! S-I-X.

Oh noes, 6 times...for a cop, that's about 1.6 seconds of shooting.  If he was being bum rushed, you are trained to keep on shooting until he stops.  That might be 10 times, that might be 3 times, that might be something else.  This isn't CSI, this isn't some make believe television series where he shoots the guy in the big toe and he kneels down to grab his foot.  Welcome to the real world.

I'm not reaching at all, just bringing some facts to the conversation.  If I hear "6 times one more time" I'll vomit, clearly this is from people that have never handled a gun, have no idea how police are trained to deal with assaults on them....and it shows.

Yes, marijuana which in some cases for some people can lead to aggressive behavior or the inability to follow orders.  Hmm.....but you're right, it doesn't change a damn thing.   ::)

http://addictions.about.com/od/legalissues/tp/Five-Myths-About-Marijuana.htm
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 04:29:08 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
Ferguson, MO
« Reply #81 on: August 19, 2014, 04:33:03 PM »
As a Marquette educated man, I expect you can weave interconnecting issues without much problem.  The media is pushing this thing as hard as they can, many with an agenda which they are paid to push to appeal to their partisan viewers.  Deny this if you wish, that is the reality.  I have great confidence you can handle the intertwining of the topics because they are still part of the main topic.

You're wrong.

As a guy who took logic, you should be able to deconstruct complex problems into their logical formulas and work from there.

Slow down. Use logic. Not political talking points. Not preconceived beliefs. Not gut reactions to people you don't agree with.  

You sprint out to the same talking points over and over.

Stop. Engage your critical thinking.

EDIT: For the record, I'd say the same thing to Rev. Al, but he's not on MUSCOOP.

Galway Eagle

• All American
Ferguson, MO
« Reply #82 on: August 19, 2014, 04:33:54 PM »
Oh noes, 6 times...for a cop, that's about 1.6 seconds of shooting.  If he was being bum rushed, you are trained to keep on shooting until he stops.  That might be 10 times, that might be 3 times, that might be something else.  This isn't CSI, this isn't some make believe television series where he shoots the guy in the big toe and he kneels down to grab his foot.  Welcome to the real world.

I'm not reaching at all, just bringing some facts to the conversation.  If I hear "6 times one more time" I'll vomit, clearly this is from people that have never handled a gun, have no idea how police are trained to deal with assaults on them....and it shows.

Yes, marijuana which in some cases for some people can lead to aggressive behavior or the inability to follow orders.  Hmm.....but you're right, it doesn't change a damn thing.   ::)

http://addictions.about.com/od/legalissues/tp/Five-Myths-About-Marijuana.htm

In all fairness you can say you've handled a gun a million times that won't matter about how many bullets it takes to stop someone till you've been shot (admittedly I haven't either) so just because you've shot a gun a few times doesn't mean you suddenly know how many bullets it'd take to stop someone. In not advocating shooting yourself in the leg to find out but I mean you seem to enjoy portraying yourself as the expert so...
Maigh Eo for Sam

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Ferguson, MO
« Reply #83 on: August 19, 2014, 04:36:38 PM »
Wait calling a cop racist gives them the right to arrest you? Isn't there some amendment that's kinda a big deal that's supposed to protect us for saying stuff?

Depends on what is going on.  If a cop has probable cause and orders you to do something and you start throwing racial comments at him, he's likely to arrest you.  You can be arrested for lots of things, doesn't mean it is going to stick.  Don't confuse arrest with conviction, which it sounds like you are trying to do when you bring in the big amendment analogy.

Let's also not forget that even with that amendment, that doesn't give someone carte blanche.  You can't yell fire in a movie theatre, you can't slander someone without the possibilty of being sued in civil court. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Ferguson, MO
« Reply #84 on: August 19, 2014, 04:37:19 PM »
It wasn't meant to be literal.

Unfortunately, a lot of people LITERALLY think what you said.  A bunch on the news right now. 

brandx

Ferguson, MO
« Reply #85 on: August 19, 2014, 04:41:10 PM »
In all fairness you can say you've handled a gun a million times that won't matter about how many bullets it takes to stop someone till you've been shot (admittedly I haven't either) so just because you've shot a gun a few times doesn't mean you suddenly know how many bullets it'd take to stop someone. In not advocating shooting yourself in the leg to find out but I mean you seem to enjoy portraying yourself as the expert so...

Well, if Ners is the basketball expert because he played in high school, then ......

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Ferguson, MO
« Reply #86 on: August 19, 2014, 04:41:29 PM »

I'm not an expert in this matter, nor have I claimed to be.  I'm quoting ACTUAL experts and linked an article earlier today from CNN about the 6 shots.  I'd invite you to read it, you might learn something.  For some people, it takes many shots to bring someone down.  Too many people here, and especially in the news where one shot does the trick.  That isn't the case.  Depends on where the person is shot, the caliber, etc.  

Stopping Power...I invite you to read about the stopping power of a bullet and how it works, especially on a 6'3 320lb person.

http://www.policemag.com/channel/weapons/articles/2013/01/stopping-power-myths-legends-and-realities.aspx
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 04:44:43 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

Galway Eagle

• All American
Ferguson, MO
« Reply #87 on: August 19, 2014, 04:45:10 PM »
Depends on what is going on.  If a cop has probable cause and orders you to do something and you start throwing racial comments at him, he's likely to arrest you.  You can be arrested for lots of things, doesn't mean it is going to stick.  Don't confuse arrest with conviction, which it sounds like you are trying to do when you bring in the big amendment analogy.

Let's also not forget that even with that amendment, that doesn't give someone carte blanche.  You can't yell fire in a movie theatre, you can't slander someone without the possibilty of being sued in civil court. 

I'm aware however as the tea party, kkk, neo nazi groups, westburo baptist church etc have proven it's that you can certainly call people whatever name you'd like and it's protected under free speech.  An arrest for calling a cop that would essentially set president that those other groups deserve preferential treatment.
Maigh Eo for Sam

akmarq

• Starter
Ferguson, MO
« Reply #88 on: August 19, 2014, 04:48:24 PM »
So glad that the no politics rule is working. I don't know what I'd do without being able to count on Scoop to be a one-stop shop for high volume link dumps of Chico's political views.

In more on-topic news - John Oliver has taken American Chicken off Tinder. The world got a little darker for Poultryfiles today.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Ferguson, MO
« Reply #89 on: August 19, 2014, 04:48:37 PM »
You're wrong.

As a guy who took logic, you should be able to deconstruct complex problems into their logical formulas and work from there.

Slow down. Use logic. Not political talking points. Not preconceived beliefs. Not gut reactions to people you don't agree with.  

You sprint out to the same talking points over and over.

Stop. Engage your critical thinking.

EDIT: For the record, I'd say the same thing to Rev. Al, but he's not on MUSCOOP.

A bit ironic, since earlier today you spoke about emotions, etc.  What do you think leads to those emotions?  The stories that are being told, the "news" that is being reported.  They all tie in together.  To ignore that part of the story, is not bringing in all the variables.  Illogical to ignore them and pretend this entire matter is happening in a vacuum and all the information is equal and all the information is processed by everyone the same way.  It isn't, clearly.

Galway Eagle

• All American
Ferguson, MO
« Reply #90 on: August 19, 2014, 04:52:51 PM »
I'm not an expert in this matter, nor have I claimed to be.  I'm quoting ACTUAL experts and linked an article earlier today from CNN about the 6 shots.  I'd invite you to read it, you might learn something.  For some people, it takes many shots to bring someone down.  Too many people here, and especially in the news where one shot does the trick.  That isn't the case.  Depends on where the person is shot, the caliber, etc.  

Stopping Power...I invite you to read about the stopping power of a bullet and how it works, especially on a 6'3 320lb person.

http://www.policemag.com/channel/weapons/articles/2013/01/stopping-power-myths-legends-and-realities.aspx

You're right one shot wouldn't do the trick however when you're saying how fast they'd fire off 6 rounds it wouldn't seem like stopping power was in their mind so much as killing the guy.  If they say fire once wait a tic (as no matter what a bullets gonna slow you down) then fire again wait a tic, etc then you'd have an argument for them focusing on stopping power but instead you're saying that in under 2seconds he both rattled off 6 rounds while paying attention to how much each shot was slowing him down?
Maigh Eo for Sam

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Ferguson, MO
« Reply #91 on: August 19, 2014, 04:53:40 PM »
I'm aware however as the tea party, kkk, neo nazi groups, westburo baptist church etc have proven it's that you can certainly call people whatever name you'd like and it's protected under free speech.  An arrest for calling a cop that would essentially set president that those other groups deserve preferential treatment.

Weird group you used there, for some reason you left out Black Panthers, liberal nut jobs, enviornmental crackpots, race baiters, Wall Street Occupiers, 9/11 truthers, etc....I'm sure it slipped your mind.

You keep confusing arrests for something else.  You can be arrested for racial remarks if they are deemed harassment.  A New Jersey girl was just charged for a racist tweet not long ago on those grounds.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 04:56:21 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
Ferguson, MO
« Reply #92 on: August 19, 2014, 04:59:30 PM »
A bit ironic, since earlier today you spoke about emotions, etc.  What do you think leads to those emotions?  The stories that are being told, the "news" that is being reported.  They all tie in together.  To ignore that part of the story, is not bringing in all the variables.  Illogical to ignore them and pretend this entire matter is happening in a vacuum and all the information is equal and all the information is processed by everyone the same way.  It isn't, clearly.

It's an emotional issue. We know the players. We can imagine how they feel. It's a tough, tough situation for everybody. The cops are now in a no-win situation, and the community doesn't feel like it can trust anybody.

I honestly empathize with the whole city. It's crappy for everybody.

BUUUUUUUTTTTT,

I'm not on the ground. I'm not in the city. I'm not on the picket lines. I'm not marching. I'm not carrying a riot shield. I'm not driving a tank.

The luxury I have is that it's okay for me to feel conflicted. I'm conflicted because I don't know all of the facts, yet.

The media can do whatever they want. They can send 100,000 cameras, they can interview every lunatic from the left and the right. Doesn't matter. It doesn't change a thing.

The issue is: Was this a clean shoot?

I hope we find out the truth.

I'm willing to wait.

Critically thinking. Logic.

It's okay to feel conflicted about complicated issues. We don't all need to sprint to our respective camps and then fire off rhetoric at one another.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Ferguson, MO
« Reply #93 on: August 19, 2014, 04:59:58 PM »
You're right one shot wouldn't do the trick however when you're saying how fast they'd fire off 6 rounds it wouldn't seem like stopping power was in their mind so much as killing the guy.  If they say fire once wait a tic (as no matter what a bullets gonna slow you down) then fire again wait a tic, etc then you'd have an argument for them focusing on stopping power but instead you're saying that in under 2seconds he both rattled off 6 rounds while paying attention to how much each shot was slowing him down?

Please, for the love of Christ....read the article I posted earlier.  1.6 seconds to squeeze off 6 rounds.  You are trained to bring the guy down.  That's the deal.  If you don't like it, then train cops differently, they are trained to stop the assault if they feel their life is in jeopardy.  Don't rush at cops, and it doesn't happen.  Not hard.

I just love it how many people here and elsewhere are the experts on how the cop should feel and react, when a 320lb 6'3" man bumrushes him (allegedly) and how much caution he is supposed to use.  If, he had already had his eye socket broken (allegedly).  It's awesome that behind the keyboard, watching the evening news, or having a glass of wine how many people are able to say what they would have done with ZERO training in that moment of panic, terror, etc.  Classic.

GGGG

• All American
Ferguson, MO
« Reply #94 on: August 19, 2014, 05:03:07 PM »
Please, for the love of Christ....read the article I posted earlier.  1.6 seconds to squeeze off 6 rounds.  You are trained to bring the guy down.  That's the deal.  If you don't like it, then train cops differently, they are trained to stop the assault if they feel their life is in jeopardy.  Don't rush at cops, and it doesn't happen.  Not hard.

Someone tell Chicos that in this very same article, the author points out multiple ways in which police officers are *not* trained appropriately in these situations.  He apparently doesn't read what he links to.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Ferguson, MO
« Reply #95 on: August 19, 2014, 05:07:12 PM »
So glad that the no politics rule is working. I don't know what I'd do without being able to count on Scoop to be a one-stop shop for high volume link dumps of Chico's political views.

In more on-topic news - John Oliver has taken American Chicken off Tinder. The world got a little darker for Poultryfiles today.

Use the "ignor" button

Funny how you ignore other views from other posters...tsk tsk

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
Ferguson, MO
« Reply #96 on: August 19, 2014, 05:10:43 PM »
It's an emotional issue. We know the players. We can imagine how they feel. It's a tough, tough situation for everybody. The cops are now in a no-win situation, and the community doesn't feel like it can trust anybody.

BUUUUUUUTTTTT,

I'm not on the ground. I'm not in the city. I'm not on the picket lines. I'm not marching. I'm not carrying a riot shield. I'm not driving a tank.

The luxury I have is that it's okay for me to feel conflicted. I'm conflicted because I don't know all of the facts, yet.

The media can do whatever they want. They can send 100,000 cameras, they can interview every lunatic from the left and the right. Doesn't matter. It doesn't change a thing.

I'm willing to wait.

It's okay to feel conflicted about complicated issues. We don't all need to sprint to our respective camps and then fire off rhetoric at one another.

Really the only thing that makes a shred of sense at this juncture.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
Ferguson, MO
« Reply #97 on: August 19, 2014, 05:12:12 PM »
Really the only thing that makes a shred of sense at this juncture.

What makes sense is growing back my mustache.

But, I look at least 3 years younger without it.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Ferguson, MO
« Reply #98 on: August 19, 2014, 05:16:27 PM »

BUUUUUUUTTTTT,

I'm willing to wait.

I hope we find out the truth as well, but I'm confident that one side will refuse to accept it anyway, thus we will continue down the path as is.  Without absolute iron clad evidence, that's just the way it is going to be.  We can see that from posters on this very thread that have already tried, convicted and lynched the cop.  Any new evidence is immediately rejected, the source is called into question, etc.  Their minds are made up....period...and nothing is going to change their minds.  NOTHING.

brandx

Ferguson, MO
« Reply #99 on: August 19, 2014, 05:30:29 PM »
I hope we find out the truth as well, but I'm confident that one side will refuse to accept it anyway, thus we will continue down the path as is.  Without absolute iron clad evidence, that's just the way it is going to be.  We can see that from posters on this very thread that have already tried, convicted and lynched the cop.  Any new evidence is immediately rejected, the source is called into question, etc.  Their minds are made up....period...and nothing is going to change their minds.  NOTHING.

Cut the crap!!! You just sound like an idealogue whose mind is already made up an any issue - even if it hasn't occurred yet.

Learning/thinking freely is a wonderful thing