[Today at 05:53:49 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Which smoker to buy  (Read 161853 times)

real chili 83

• All American
Re: Which smoker to buy
« Reply #125 on: June 08, 2015, 07:12:23 PM »
I don't use a brush anymore because it would wash off the rub. I usually spray mine with a mix of apple juice and bourbon. The spray does just enough, and it really creates a great bark.

I tried spraying the Carolina Kiss, but the ground black pepper clogged the sprayer.  Ended up brushing it on.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #126 on: June 08, 2015, 07:35:50 PM »

I tried spraying the Carolina Kiss, but the ground black pepper clogged the sprayer.  Ended up brushing it on.

yup-exactly what happened to me and is exactly what i did, however, i usually don't like to open the door much if at all during the process, so the last few times, i've just mixed in a generous amount of the kiss while i pulled it apart and i didn't get any complaints
don't...don't don't don't don't

ZiggysChestHair

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #127 on: June 09, 2015, 08:13:40 AM »
how do you control the temp with wood/charcoal smoker?

Basically the device has a couple probes you can hook up.  1 probe for the smoker temp, and as many as you want for the meat temp.  It also has a fan that hooks onto one of the vents.  Basically, it kicks the fan on when necessary to maintain the appropriate temp.  Before I had the temp controller, adjusting the vents to maintain a constant temp was a struggle.  My temps would often fluctuate 25-50 degrees.  The temp controller really does a nice job at keeping the temp right at whatever it is set to.  It's also really nice for long cooks to know when you might need to add some more fuel.  Then you can set alarms for kettle and meat temperatures as well. 

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #128 on: June 09, 2015, 11:44:44 AM »
Basically the device has a couple probes you can hook up.  1 probe for the smoker temp, and as many as you want for the meat temp.  It also has a fan that hooks onto one of the vents.  Basically, it kicks the fan on when necessary to maintain the appropriate temp.  Before I had the temp controller, adjusting the vents to maintain a constant temp was a struggle.  My temps would often fluctuate 25-50 degrees.  The temp controller really does a nice job at keeping the temp right at whatever it is set to.  It's also really nice for long cooks to know when you might need to add some more fuel.  Then you can set alarms for kettle and meat temperatures as well. 

interesting-thanks.  just wondering, why you prefer the charcoal/wood smokers over an electric or propane?  unless you don't have access to electric...   but as i've said, i love the electric for the control of temp. and time.  going on 3rd year with this one and for $150, if it burns out, i'll just buy another one. 

anyone try smoking cheese?  how low of a temp. could you go to provide smoke w/o melting the cheese.  i guess the other way would be to make the smoke outside of the smoker and pipe it in.  would be terribly difficult as i have that side wood chip loader hole

ZiggysChestHair

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #129 on: June 09, 2015, 01:16:44 PM »
interesting-thanks.  just wondering, why you prefer the charcoal/wood smokers over an electric or propane?  unless you don't have access to electric...   but as i've said, i love the electric for the control of temp. and time.  going on 3rd year with this one and for $150, if it burns out, i'll just buy another one. 

anyone try smoking cheese?  how low of a temp. could you go to provide smoke w/o melting the cheese.  i guess the other way would be to make the smoke outside of the smoker and pipe it in.  would be terribly difficult as i have that side wood chip loader hole

I don't have any experience with a propane smoker so I can't speak for it.  I know a few people who own electric smokers.  I agree with you on the convenience factor.  A lot may just be personal preference, but I think you get more/better smoke with an actual fire verses smoldering the chips over an electric burner.  Though I suppose it's possible the BBQ I've had off an electric smoker just wasn't made as good.  I'll admit to being a bit of a BBQ snob.

As for cheese, I know a person who owns one of those electric Bradley smokers, and he will smoke cheese a few times a year.  I think you hit the main criteria in that you need to pipe in the smoke as to not heat the cheese while smoking.  The results have been decent from what I've tasted.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #130 on: June 09, 2015, 02:19:47 PM »

Same reason people buy a pizza stone instead of a pizza oven... authenticity and the joy of cooking.

My CharGriller has a side box for the fire, so what's in the "chamber" does not get direct heat... the lowest I can keep a fire sustained without constant supervision is around 200-225 degrees, but I can actually keep the chamber 100-125 degrees below the temp of the firebox depending on ambient temps.  My target chamber temp for BBQ is 200 degF, which I just can't do with direct heat but is a snap with the firebox.  During the winter, I can cold smoke salmon, which I like to keep around 100 degF.

All of this is actually a pretty good argument for an electronic or automatic box, but I can tell you firsthand that BBQ tastes different when it's fueled by wood vs. a pellet... it's not necessarily "better" since some people prefer one flavor vs. the other, but it is more satisfying to do it the authentic way.

There's only one wrong way to do BBQ: Liquid Smoke.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

ZiggysChestHair

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #131 on: June 09, 2015, 03:42:12 PM »
There's only one wrong way to do BBQ: Liquid Smoke.

I'd add to that list pre-boiling ribs.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #132 on: June 09, 2015, 06:43:15 PM »
I'd add to that list pre-boiling ribs.

that always made me laugh-rib soup ey? 

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #133 on: September 01, 2015, 02:31:40 PM »
Thinking about throwing a brisket on this weekend... anyone inject theirs before smoking it? I've seen a lot of sites say yes, and others say it turns it into roast beef.

Hopefully this time goes better than the first... had big temperature issues and it wasn't great.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #134 on: September 01, 2015, 03:31:08 PM »
I did my last brisket injected with Carolina Kiss for the marinade.  Turned out good.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #135 on: September 01, 2015, 06:19:23 PM »
I did my last brisket injected with Carolina Kiss for the marinade.  Turned out good.

that sounds illegal!  how long did you let it sit with the kiss?  overnight?

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #136 on: September 01, 2015, 07:22:56 PM »
that sounds illegal!  how long did you let it sit with the kiss?  overnight?

I added it right before I threw it in the smoker.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #137 on: September 01, 2015, 08:43:13 PM »
Anyone got a good salmon marinade?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #138 on: September 01, 2015, 09:23:28 PM »
Better if ya just rub your Coho, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #139 on: September 01, 2015, 09:29:42 PM »
Better if ya just rub your Coho, ai na?

We're talkin' salmon, not snapper.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #140 on: September 02, 2015, 10:56:37 AM »
Salmon doesn't need a marinade as far as I'm concerned.  The last thing you want to do is to mask the natural oils of the flesh.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #141 on: September 06, 2015, 08:34:54 PM »
Anyone got a good salmon marinade?

for smoking or grilling?

i have no appetite for grilled or broiled or pan seared salmon.  smoked-i'll eat all day long.  my wife has a number of marinades and she really likes that cedar plank method

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #142 on: September 07, 2015, 08:25:39 AM »
Smoked

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #143 on: September 07, 2015, 06:50:43 PM »
basic-water, salt, brown sugar

1 gallon water

1 1/2 cup kosher salt
       1 1/2 cup brown sugar

after that, you can add all kinds of things-wine, cayenne, herbs, shallots(excellent addition), dill, lemon juice, hot pepper sauce, worcestershire,  etc. to your liking.  in other words, i don't measure any of that stuff, just experiment or try to visualize what kind of flavor i'm looking for.  but i love shallots cut into quarters and also in the water pan during smoking

but i always put nice cracked pepper crust over surface of fillets before putting on smoker for a little extra kick

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #144 on: September 26, 2015, 10:03:44 AM »
75 degrees and sunny.  The smoker is fully operational today.

8 pound brisket.  Overnight, injected with carolina kiss and rubbed with mix of SaltLick and Rufus Teague.

3 racks of ribs ready to go. Also rubbed overnight.

Dozen drumsticks, olive oil and Cavender's greek seasoning.

Dinner is at 6:30.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #145 on: September 26, 2015, 11:11:06 AM »
Address kin, hey?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 11:12:49 AM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #146 on: September 26, 2015, 01:29:07 PM »
so you're going vegan on us?? ;D  sounds like a lot of meat-cool!

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #147 on: September 26, 2015, 01:30:31 PM »
i can't compete with that-just threw 4 salmon filets on, brining all night

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #148 on: September 26, 2015, 04:57:15 PM »
Address kin, hey?

Pm me 'Never. Yout always welcome.

Wouldn't be surprised if Jaybee shows up once the smell wafts across the hood to his crib.  ;D

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #149 on: October 15, 2015, 10:41:28 PM »
Gonna do some sausage on Sunday morning for the big game at noon.  Eyeing up the Ukranian sausage from Kramarczuk's.  Fresh buns, some good polish mustard....hmmm

Brisket on the menu too.  And ribs.  And some thick sliced bacon. 

Pics of the brisket will be posted.

feedback