[April 26, 2024, 10:00:30 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Which smoker to buy  (Read 163242 times)

real chili 83

• All American
Re: Which smoker to buy
« Reply #175 on: November 02, 2015, 04:08:40 PM »
Any of you pros got a brisket recipe to share?

It'll be my fourth time using the smoker. Did a pork shoulder, chicken and two bacon explosions so far. Getting out of my busy season and thinking about picking up a brisket at the meat store tomorrow.

I use a mix of Rufus Teague and Salt Lick for a rub.  Pack it on tight. 

Cook till 185, then wrap in foil.  Pour in either apple juice or Carolina Kiss.  Finish at 205 degrees.  Let rest.  Enjoy. 

Smoker temp - 240.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #176 on: November 02, 2015, 04:10:38 PM »
I use a mix of Rufus Teague and Salt Lick for a rub.  Pack it on tight. 

Cook till 185, then wrap in foil.  Pour in either apple juice or Carolina Kiss.  Finish at 205 degrees.  Let rest.  Enjoy. 

Smoker temp - 240.

What kinda time frames are you looking at, if you dont mind. Ballparks.

Also, cover in Carolina Kiss, wrap in foil and throw back in smoker, yeah?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 04:29:58 PM by PTM »

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #177 on: November 02, 2015, 06:51:25 PM »
Six hours hours for a flat cut brisket. 

When you add the Kiss, or apple juice, heat it up before adding.  Otherwise the cold liquid takes the meat temp down and extends the cook time. 

Keep a wired probe in the meat (que up 'Never) to monitor without opening the door. 

🏀

• All American
« Reply #178 on: November 02, 2015, 06:54:04 PM »

When you add the Kiss, or apple juice, heat it up before adding.  Otherwise the cold liquid takes the meat temp down and extends the cook time. 

Keep a wired probe in the meat (que up 'Never) to monitor without opening the door. 

I got the probe, thanks for the info. I'll post results.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #179 on: November 02, 2015, 07:46:12 PM »

Now you're talkin', kin, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #180 on: November 03, 2015, 12:11:40 PM »
What kinda time frames are you looking at, if you dont mind. Ballparks.

Also, cover in Carolina Kiss, wrap in foil and throw back in smoker, yeah?

Some will say "the longer the better," but it really depends on a variety of factors including the type of cut, the fat content (marbling), the level of tenderness desired, how the meat was aged (dry vs. wet) and how far you want the smoke ring to penetrate the meat.  But if there's one rule to remember, it's that "time isn't important until the temperature is right."

Even the toughest cut of meat can be tenderized with nothing more than time and heat... this is because the connective tissues (collagen) hydrolyzes, or "melts," into gelatin between 160-200 degF.  When collagen breaks down, the meat becomes tender and the gelatin is what gives the meat its moist, savory texture.  This is when time becomes important because the hydrolysis of collagen is anything but instant.  You've got to let the heat penetrate and do its job, and this is what takes hours.

That said, the proteins in meat will contract at much lower temps (~120F) and squeeze the moisture out of the meat; the faster the temperature rise, the more intense the contraction (and more moisture is eliminated).  Eventually, all of this moisture is lost to evaporation as a finished brisket contains minimal, if any, of its natural moisture (which, among other things, would inhibit the formation of bark).  Around 150 degF, the residual moisture starts to evaporate, which in turn cools the meat, so your meat temp might "stall" around 150-160 degF until all of the moisture evaporates... this could add an hour or two to your cooking time because no collagen is breaking down during this time; however, this might be desirable if you're going for a more intense smoke flavor.  If you have a dry-aged cut (or something that's been sitting, covered with cotton towels in the fridge for a couple days), it's going to take less time.  Also, a prime cut will take less time than a choice cut, which will take less time than a select cut as the more marbled your cut is, the less moisture there is to evaporate.

Shooting from the hip... for a wet-aged, vacuum sealed, choice cut, full size brisket -- 6 hours at 240 degF sounds about right, though I keep my temps much lower (around 200 degF), so 7-8 hours is the minimum IMBY with 9-10 hours not being atypical.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 12:13:38 PM by Benny B »
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #181 on: November 03, 2015, 12:52:53 PM »
Around 150 degF, the residual moisture starts to evaporate, which in turn cools the meat, so your meat temp might "stall" around 150-160 degF until all of the moisture evaporates... this could add an hour or two to your cooking time because no collagen is breaking down during this time; however, this might be desirable if you're going for a more intense smoke flavor.

And the stall will vary from brisket to brisket. I did a 5 lb flat a few weeks ago and it stalled out for almost 3 hours. The one before that had almost no stall and was done in under 6 hours. Hard to predict.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #182 on: November 03, 2015, 02:19:19 PM »
Found some pork belly today in a local Asian grocery store.  $3.99 per pound.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #183 on: November 03, 2015, 03:45:48 PM »
Found some pork belly today in a local Asian grocery store.  $3.99 per pound.

ya sure that it's pork there hey-tastes like chicken? ruff
don't...don't don't don't don't

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #184 on: November 03, 2015, 04:34:02 PM »
Mighta been one of them Asian pigs that were hung out to dry on the clothesline like Peking duck, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #185 on: November 03, 2015, 09:02:14 PM »
Got a connection at Byerlys for pork belly

Has anyone tried....'Never, here come a hanging curve....making bacon at home?

Found this recipe from the Art of Manliness website.  http://www.artofmanliness.com/2015/05/08/how-to-make-your-own-bacon/

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #186 on: November 04, 2015, 06:29:56 AM »
Watchin' the sizzle right now, hey.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #187 on: November 04, 2015, 03:38:18 PM »
Any of you pros got a brisket recipe to share?

It'll be my fourth time using the smoker. Did a pork shoulder, chicken and two bacon explosions so far. Getting out of my busy season and thinking about picking up a brisket at the meat store tomorrow.

get the heat up to 275 on the smoker and let it sit.  When you hit 205F in the thickest part wrap it in butcher paper (plastic side in) and let it soak up the juices... total process is about 12-13 hours.  I like to smoke with oak for brisket.

For the rub, I just use a simple one.

1c coarse Kosher salt
1c coarse black pepper
1/2c garlic powder
1/2c onion powder

coarse is important.   chuck it all in a container and rub on heavily.  I do not use anything else.

I can answer any questions you might have.  Using a 55 gallon upright smoker that was home engineered.

I'd load up some pictures from this last weekend, but my LCD screen on my phone broke... I may be able to get them uploaded at home.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 03:40:29 PM by Hards_Alumni »

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #188 on: November 04, 2015, 04:02:13 PM »
Benny,

Found some pork belly at a good grocery store.  They sell it for $7.99 per pound, and it comes in one pound packs from their supplier. 

One pound packs sounds small.  Are you finding it in larger slabs?  You get yours at Costco, correct?

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #189 on: November 04, 2015, 04:32:55 PM »
Costco is correct.  If you look at the picture on my previous post, you'll see the full slabs on the right... those are generally 9-12 lbs., though sometimes larger.  On the left side, you'll see they also sell smaller packages of the belly in slices that are about 1" thick... those packages are generally around 3.5 lbs. and cost an extra 60-70c (or so) per pound.

$7.99 for a 1-lb package seems like a boutique item... is it possibly pre-cooked?  Are you sure they aren't selling uncured bacon or salt pork (neither of which is the same as the raw pork belly I'm referring to)?

My wife's step brother works in purchasing for Costco, and he has confirmed what most of us know (Costco members anyway) about Costco: stores are very provincial in their buying and offerings, especially when it comes to fresh foods, i.e. what's available at Mettawa (the store where I buy) may not be available at the two nearest stores in Kenosha or Lake Zurich but might be available in further-away stores like Arlington Heights and Hammond, IN.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #190 on: November 04, 2015, 07:20:25 PM »
A well regarded butcher near by says on his website he carries side pork. From what I've been able to find out, it appears to be another name for pork belly. Opinions????

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #191 on: November 04, 2015, 07:31:04 PM »
found this conversation online-looked like scoop at first, but some guys supposedly in the know grapple with side vs belly and seem to conclude they are the same??

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=5600.0

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #192 on: November 04, 2015, 07:34:06 PM »
scroll down and they show a porker dressed and spread out, showing the cuts

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/103469/pork-side-vs-belly

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #193 on: November 04, 2015, 07:47:41 PM »
found this conversation online-looked like scoop at first, but some guys supposedly in the know grapple with side vs belly and seem to conclude they are the same??

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=5600.0
  Geez, Chicos is on that site too.   ;)

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #194 on: November 04, 2015, 08:11:28 PM »
  Geez, Chicos is on that site too.   ;)

even chicos will/would laugh at this one  +++  my bet he's habanero undercover

« Reply #195 on: November 05, 2015, 07:42:13 AM »
Thinking about throwing a turkey on the Weber Bullet for Thanksgiving?  What's everyone's thoughts on smoked turkey?  Worth it for a change of pace?  Or stick with the ol' oven?

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #196 on: November 05, 2015, 08:00:31 AM »
Thinking about throwing a turkey on the Weber Bullet for Thanksgiving?  What's everyone's thoughts on smoked turkey?  Worth it for a change of pace?  Or stick with the ol' oven?

Tasty.  Gotta be patient with the cook time.  Mrs. Ford and the kids needs to be a fan of smoked food, or you will get the evil stink eye for ruining Thanksgiving. 

Consider starting the turkey in the oven at 500 degrees to brown the skin, then toss in the smoker.  I'd brine it too.

I say go for it!

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #197 on: November 05, 2015, 09:44:23 AM »

Turkey is a different beast when it comes to smoking... longer times and lower temps.  Unlike beef and pork where you want all the moisture to evaporate so you can hold the meat at temps b/t 160-200 for an extended period, turkey needs to retain as much of its own moisture as possible, and there's no amount of gravy that's going to save a dry Thanksgiving bird.  You want to heat the turkey as evenly as possible with a target internal temp around 170 degF (no less than 165 degF), which means a smoker temp about 190-200 degF... otherwise, the outer portions are going to dry out before the inner portions are cooked.

Definitely brine, even if the turkey is pre-injected with solution.  Overnight is ideal, otherwise, at least 4 hours minimum (more is better).

Absolutely DO NOT:

1) Stuff the turkey
2) Pre-cook the turkey
3) Allow the smoker temp to go over 210 degF
4) Let the internal temp rise above 175 degF
5) Place the turkey in the smoker half-frozen
6) Let the turkey sit (stew) in its own drippings
7) Remove the skin.

Suggested DO's:
1) Wrap the legs loosely in foil
2) Place a water bath just above the fire
3) Pat dry and rub with olive oil - better yet, bacon/pork belly grease - above and below the skin.
4) Test run with a smaller bird the Saturday prior or have something else on backup... there's nothing worse than a Thanksgiving with no turkey (or overdone turkey, or not-quite-cooked turkey, etc.)

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #198 on: November 05, 2015, 09:58:59 AM »
Turkey is a different beast when it comes to smoking... longer times and lower temps.  Unlike beef and pork where you want all the moisture to evaporate so you can hold the meat at temps b/t 160-200 for an extended period, turkey needs to retain as much of its own moisture as possible, and there's no amount of gravy that's going to save a dry Thanksgiving bird.  You want to heat the turkey as evenly as possible with a target internal temp around 170 degF (no less than 165 degF), which means a smoker temp about 190-200 degF... otherwise, the outer portions are going to dry out before the inner portions are cooked.

Definitely brine, even if the turkey is pre-injected with solution.  Overnight is ideal, otherwise, at least 4 hours minimum (more is better).

Absolutely DO NOT:

1) Stuff the turkey
2) Pre-cook the turkey
3) Allow the smoker temp to go over 210 degF
4) Let the internal temp rise above 175 degF
5) Place the turkey in the smoker half-frozen
6) Let the turkey sit (stew) in its own drippings
7) Remove the skin.

Suggested DO's:
1) Wrap the legs loosely in foil
2) Place a water bath just above the fire
3) Pat dry and rub with olive oil - better yet, bacon/pork belly grease - above and below the skin.
4) Test run with a smaller bird the Saturday prior or have something else on backup... there's nothing worse than a Thanksgiving with no turkey (or overdone turkey, or not-quite-cooked turkey, etc.)

Benny, what do you think about first in the oven at the hottest temp possible to brown the skin?  It takes about 5-10 minutes tops.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #199 on: November 05, 2015, 10:08:15 AM »
Benny, what do you think about first in the oven at the hottest temp possible to brown the skin?  It takes about 5-10 minutes tops.

When I smoke chicken, I'll throw some olive oil/butter on it and finish it under the broiler for a few minutes. Gotta keep an eye on it, but it crisps up nicely.