collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Which smoker to buy  (Read 163113 times)

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
Re: Which smoker to buy
« Reply #100 on: May 19, 2015, 09:27:52 PM »
Let the prime get to room temp first.  Then get the oven as frigging hot as possible.

My favorite way for prime is on a Farberware indoor rotisserie. Use the same spice mix.  Keeping adding garlic as the meat starts to drip. It forms a wonderful cooked crust of seasoning, mostly of garlic. Cook till 135, remove and tent under foil. Allow to rest.  Remove skewer after rested.

For those who like their meat over cooked, slice off portions and finish in a pan of Johnnys  French dip au jus.  Heathens.

i'm a big fan of the lawry's salt crust with lots of pepper and garlic on a nicely trimmed marbled cut.  i have a roast setting on my oven to set the tone for the smoker.  gonna have to look into the farberware.  prime rib, pork roasts and chops...and an extra hour on the eliptical-good stuff
don't...don't don't don't don't

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #101 on: May 19, 2015, 09:29:29 PM »
Thoughts on pink Himalayan sea salt?   

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #102 on: May 19, 2015, 09:37:32 PM »
i'm a big fan of the lawry's salt crust with lots of pepper and garlic on a nicely trimmed marbled cut.  i have a roast setting on my oven to set the tone for the smoker.  gonna have to look into the farberware.  prime rib, pork roasts and chops...and an extra hour on the eliptical-good stuff

Pork roasts are killer on the Farberware.  Go a smidge heavier on the black pepper with pork.  Cue up 'Never again.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #103 on: May 20, 2015, 07:17:24 AM »

I have no comment other than my wife bought a clear glass jar of it and it looks nice next to the oven.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #104 on: May 20, 2015, 10:19:50 AM »

If you're buying it for the health benefits, I've got bridge I'll sell you cheap.  It looks pretty, but that's about it.

Now... back in 2012, I picked up some black sea salt at the grocery in Maui (not the Safeway, the Lahaina Farms or something like that)... of course, I assume is has some volcanic quality to it that gives it its jet black color, but it has the taste, texture and mouth-feel of ordinary sea salt.  I've used it only once so far... on a prime bone-in ribeye.  The color of the salt gave it a heavily blackened appearance under normal char.  The contrast between the red, marbled center and the black crust was amazing and the taste was spectacular.

Long story short, if you're going for a "specialty salt" with a practical use, then the black Hawaiian stuff is your only option.  Otherwise, just pick up a box of Morton's kosher.

"i hate to experiment with a good piece of meat"

Always better to know what you're doin', hey?

That's what she said.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #105 on: May 20, 2015, 03:25:57 PM »
Pork roasts are killer on the Farberware.  Go a smidge heavier on the black pepper with pork.  Cue up 'Never again.

also rosemary seems to blend in well with pork. i don't like too much fennel if any.  don't want my hog tasting like an eyetalian

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #106 on: May 20, 2015, 03:34:05 PM »
farberware has a vertical rotisserie that looks decent, but they only have used ones-going to have to keep looking as i'm not getting something used?  not putting my meat into something that someone else has had their meat in.  only a virgin rotisserie here ;D

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BRPLOM0/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #107 on: May 20, 2015, 03:36:55 PM »
also rosemary seems to blend in well with pork. i don't like too much fennel if any.  don't want my hog tasting like an eyetalian

Seeing as how you mentioned your wife was Sicilian on the previous page, there are probably a dozen possible responses I could insert here.

While one should not hang a curveball when his wife is responsible for the runners on base, you never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #108 on: May 20, 2015, 07:39:47 PM »
Seeing as how you mentioned your wife was Sicilian on the previous page, there are probably a dozen possible responses I could insert here.

While one should not hang a curveball when his wife is responsible for the runners on base, you never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line.

oh shoot-i missed that-good find-rocket's been a very bad boy-bailif, spank his pee-pee(from an old cheech n chong album)yes i said album ?-(  i should re-phrase that-i'd rather have my eyetalian tastin the hog-was that the hanger?  that's funny

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #109 on: June 06, 2015, 10:47:29 AM »
I picked up a Boston butt from Sam's today for the smoker.  First time with this cut.

Any recommendations?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #110 on: June 06, 2015, 03:02:32 PM »
Con Carne man,
If we all gotta 'splain to ya what to do with this broad from Massachusetts, ya got major problems, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #111 on: June 06, 2015, 03:16:40 PM »
Ai na, ai na.

One thing I know for sure, Jaybee will be by once some of that smokin' butt starts sifting through the neighborhood. 
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 03:19:11 PM by real chili 83 »

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #112 on: June 06, 2015, 03:21:32 PM »
I picked up a Boston butt from Sam's today for the smoker.  First time with this cut.

Any recommendations?

spray it down with a carolina kiss(google for recipe) follow it with a good generous rub(i make my own)-smoke away(hickory and/or apple wood).  some say to give it a little mopping every 1/2-1 hour with the carolina kiss from a spray bottle.  i don't like to peek too much.  it's hard to over do one of these bad boys.  after 4-6 hours at 225, check internal temp.-ideal=195-200)whip it out, put in a big pan, pull it apart, add more rub and carolina kiss and pig out!  a good fresh pretzel roll is a bonus.  serve on roll with cole slaw, pickles(dill slices) and onions

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #113 on: June 07, 2015, 08:08:29 PM »
Sturgeon,

The Carolina Kiss is to die for. Absolutely fantastic.  I used a mix of Chalua and Tobasco Chipoltle. Brown sugar too.

F, that was good.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #114 on: June 07, 2015, 08:51:04 PM »
bonus-it has a really long shelf life(fridge) b/c it's vinegar based.  i'm usually locked and loaded for those unexpected occasions when the sudden urge to smoke comes upon me.  i'm thinking a little of that chalua and/or tobasco chipotle would meld in real nice in place of regular hot sauce(louisiana redhot) and other assorted peppers

reinko

• All American
« Reply #115 on: June 08, 2015, 06:36:43 AM »

Any recommendations?

I use the Cooks Illustrated technique, standard rub of chili powder, salt, pepper, paprika, brown sugar, garlic powder  Trim some of the fat cap, place on the smoker fat side up.  Heavy smoke with hickory for 3-4 hours, mop with apple juice every 30 min.  After 4 hours, pull it from the smoker, double wrap in foil, place in 300 degree oven till fork tender.  Let it rest for about 30 min outside the oven.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #116 on: June 08, 2015, 10:24:37 AM »
Costco is selling boneless shoulder now... doesn't appear to be the Boston butt cut (which is above the shoulder IIRC), and looks like it has some leg meat in it.  I prefer the shoulder cut to the Boston cut because it's more versatile, especially for pulled pork, but always hated de-boning for grinding.  This would be a coup if it's actually a boneless shoulder or picnic cut.  The butcher there (all of 25 years old) had no clue when I asked.  Can anyone confirm?

ZiggysChestHair

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #117 on: June 08, 2015, 11:15:03 AM »
I am coming around to the egg. 

With my current set up, I get tired of having to babysit charcoal when doing an all day brisket.

I prefer wood/charcoal smokers to electric.  I also hated constantly checking the temp & vents with my Weber smoker - especially when smoking anything overnight. 

I finally bought a temp controller system for my smoker.  It works even better than expected at maintaining a constant temperature.  Best yet, mine is wifi enabled which allows me to check temperature of the smoker and meats from my phone.  I went with the Stoker from rocksbarbque.com, but there are several competing options out there at various price points.  They have configurations for many popular smokers out there.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #118 on: June 08, 2015, 01:07:51 PM »
Santa brought me an electric one this year.  Very happy with it.

The wifi thing sounds really cool.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #119 on: June 08, 2015, 01:32:39 PM »
I use the Cooks Illustrated technique, standard rub of chili powder, salt, pepper, paprika, brown sugar, garlic powder  Trim some of the fat cap, place on the smoker fat side up.  Heavy smoke with hickory for 3-4 hours, mop with apple juice every 30 min.  After 4 hours, pull it from the smoker, double wrap in foil, place in 300 degree oven till fork tender.  Let it rest for about 30 min outside the oven.

If you don't trim the fat cap then you don't have to mop. The fat cap rendering will keep that cut nice and juicy the whole time smoking. Plus I've found that mopping impacts the quality of my bark when smoking butts.

The only time that I pull the butt and finish in the oven is if I'm time constrained or if I'm cooler-crutching it. Butts cooler-crutch very well, and it really helps with timing if you have people coming over. Additionally, if you cooler-crutch it you don't have to let it rest after you've finished it off in the oven.

The only addition that I'd have is a 50/50 water to apple cider vinegar finishing sauce, with a tablespoon of your rub tossed in for good measure. Just get the meat wet after you've pulled it, enough that the bottom of your pan/dish is a little wet. The vinegar really breaks down any little fat chunks that you missed pulling out when you were pulling your butt apart.

This is a great thread, guys!

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #120 on: June 08, 2015, 02:13:28 PM »
I prefer wood/charcoal smokers to electric.  I also hated constantly checking the temp & vents with my Weber smoker - especially when smoking anything overnight. 

I finally bought a temp controller system for my smoker.  It works even better than expected at maintaining a constant temperature.  Best yet, mine is wifi enabled which allows me to check temperature of the smoker and meats from my phone.  I went with the Stoker from rocksbarbque.com, but there are several competing options out there at various price points.  They have configurations for many popular smokers out there.

how do you control the temp with wood/charcoal smoker?

my electric masterbuilt has a temp and time setting with side wood chip loader-just set and go.  bought a wireless thermometer, but i like the phone concept.  gonna look into those-thanks

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #121 on: June 08, 2015, 02:15:06 PM »
Guys, the mop recipe that Sturgeon recommended, Carolina Kiss, is to die for.  I also drizzled some on the meat after shredding.

Google Carolina Kiss.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #122 on: June 08, 2015, 02:22:51 PM »
If you don't trim the fat cap then you don't have to mop. The fat cap rendering will keep that cut nice and juicy the whole time smoking. Plus I've found that mopping impacts the quality of my bark when smoking butts.

I don't use a brush anymore because it would wash off the rub. I usually spray mine with a mix of apple juice and bourbon. The spray does just enough, and it really creates a great bark.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #123 on: June 08, 2015, 03:33:34 PM »
I don't use a brush anymore because it would wash off the rub. I usually spray mine with a mix of apple juice and bourbon. The spray does just enough, and it really creates a great bark.

Mopping is applying a mop sauce, whether you're using a mop brush or a spray bottle.

This is a pretty good writeup of how mopping, when you're cooking slow at low temps: http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/basting.html

I get, though, that it makes me feel better by giving me something to do! ha!

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #124 on: June 08, 2015, 04:08:11 PM »
how do you control the temp with wood/charcoal smoker?

Well-seasoned firewood, a reliable thermometer, vents (one on the firebox, one on the chimney), a banquet pan (13" x 21") filled with water, an auto-resetting timer, patience, and a cooler full of beer.