collapse

* Recent Posts

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Redskins name Banned?  (Read 26764 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: Redskins name Banned?
« Reply #75 on: March 01, 2016, 07:48:18 AM »
Jesus rocket, now the dictionaries have a liberal bias in your world?

BTW, if you read what Obama said, he said “If I were the owner of the team and I knew that there was a name of my team — even if it had a storied history — that was offending a sizeable group of people, I’d think about changing it.”  (This is from the very article you linked BTW)

He never said government would force the change. 

As as far as cancelling the trademark registration, that is because they are actually following trademark law in place that disallows disparaging trademarks.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #76 on: March 01, 2016, 10:03:31 AM »

i agree. sitting down next to anyone and calling them any name, whether you knew them or not, could be offensive. the only place i believe the term "redskin" should be used is to refer to the NFL football team[/color][/color]otherwise, yes, it could be offensive to some people.  the same as the example i used earlier-trailor park.  it's offensive if you call someone trailer park, but not offensive when describing the dwellings or the locale.  oh no, i suppose trailer park is going to have to be changed now  :o
  i am not trying to be provocative here, just defending daniel snyder's right to keep the name as it pertains to his private business.  the gubmint has NO right to make him do anything with it.  if the fans/his customers started to stay away from his product, then he may have to re-think his position; that is on his terms.  if the fans stay away and he continues to stand by his name, then he's either one principled dude; a not-so-bright one, but principled, i guess

using the "N" word today, i don't believe is ever acceptable even though we have some out there who think otherwise.  older literature(mark twain) obviously used it, but that is more of a historical and artistic subject that is receiving some flak nonetheless.  once again however, we have another example of context.  i suppose if one were using some work of mark twain's/huck finn and referencing it, the only way you could avoid using "that" term would be to say "N" word or maybe give your audience a heads up. 

you guys want to make this a "black and white" issue-please,  no pun intended.  this isn't a one size fits all

Got it ... Redskins is OK to be a symbol of a football team even if you never would use it in any kind of conversation with Indians, whom your buddy Chicos claims overwhelmingly say "redskins" honors them.

OK.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #77 on: March 10, 2016, 11:35:28 PM »
Chuck Norris....Happy 76th birthday

1/8th Cherokee

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #78 on: March 11, 2016, 06:47:07 AM »
   "He never said government would force the change."

first off, you realize obama is gubmint, right?  secondly, obama gives a ringing endorsement to change the name, thirdly, words matter. 

remember when obama blasted the supreme court during one of his state of the union speeches-he was just kidding, right?  and then the other whopper-when he said there wasn't even  smidgen of corruption with IRS and republican PAC's???  hmmmmm

-that's a nice family ya got there...sound familiar??
don't...don't don't don't don't

MU82

• All American
« Reply #79 on: March 12, 2016, 03:45:37 PM »
   you realize obama is gubmint, right? obama gives a ringing endorsement to change the name 

So rocketman, Chicos and I are allowed to give our opinions ... newspaper editorial boards, columnists and Snyder himself are allowed to give their opinions ... Republican senators who support keeping the Redskin name are allowed to give their opinions ... but the president isn't allowed to give his opinion?

Strange country you want to live in.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #80 on: March 12, 2016, 05:58:51 PM »
So rocketman, Chicos and I are allowed to give our opinions ... newspaper editorial boards, columnists and Snyder himself are allowed to give their opinions ... Republican senators who support keeping the Redskin name are allowed to give their opinions ... but the president isn't allowed to give his opinion?

Strange country you want to live in.

absolutely the president is allowed to give his opinion on anything and everything he wants.  problem is, when he chimes in on anything, it carries a little more weight to it. 

example-boss of a company says his opinion of 20 minute breaks is too much...opinion-yes as he stated.  what would you think?  boss says he doesn't like tattoos...as cooter, one of his v.p.'s walks in ready to show off the new ink he got over the weekend?  opinion?  certainly as opposed to a peer stating the same

obama states his opinion that he doesn't like guns...have you checked the increases in the stock prices of ruger and smith & wesson since like 2009?  how the hell did i miss that one >:(

MU82

• All American
« Reply #81 on: March 12, 2016, 10:33:22 PM »
absolutely the president is allowed to give his opinion on anything and everything he wants.  problem is, when he chimes in on anything, it carries a little more weight to it. 

Even more weight than anonymous Scoopers? Hard to believe!

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #82 on: March 13, 2016, 05:08:36 AM »
Even more weight than anonymous Scoopers? Hard to believe!

shoot, he might even use the scoop here as a microcosm and pulse of the nation

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #83 on: March 24, 2016, 03:16:36 PM »
Just returned from a road trip to New Mexico to fish the San Juan(not a fishing thread) and drove through the Navajo Nation and some Hopi Villages. One school's nickname was the Warriors and met a guy fishing who was wearing an Apache Warriors t-shirt from the school where he taught. No Golden Eagles were spotted on the myriad of campuses I passed through. The one striking sighting was in Red Mesa, AZ. where a brand new campus had a large, significant metal sign that read  Red Mesa Redskins along with the Washington team's Indian Head logo.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #84 on: March 24, 2016, 06:44:28 PM »
Just returned from a road trip to New Mexico to fish the San Juan(not a fishing thread) and drove through the Navajo Nation and some Hopi Villages. One school's nickname was the Warriors and met a guy fishing who was wearing an Apache Warriors t-shirt from the school where he taught. No Golden Eagles were spotted on the myriad of campuses I passed through. The one striking sighting was in Red Mesa, AZ. where a brand new campus had a large, significant metal sign that read  Red Mesa Redskins along with the Washington team's Indian Head logo.

Did you see father Wilde down there protesting? ;D

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #85 on: March 24, 2016, 10:01:02 PM »

Did you see father Wilde down there protesting? ;D

You mean DiUlio??

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #86 on: March 24, 2016, 10:12:30 PM »
Just returned from a road trip to New Mexico to fish the San Juan

Were you below the Aztec for Browns or around Texas Hole?

Death on call

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #87 on: March 24, 2016, 11:21:10 PM »
Were you below the Aztec for Browns or around Texas Hole?
Fished Texas Hole and Crusher for bows

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #88 on: March 25, 2016, 12:24:55 AM »
You mean DiUlio??

Didn't father Wilde perpetuate it-what's his name, stolenwerk on the board(ceo of that shoe co.) offered $1 mil if they would change the eagle name back to warriors.  Wilde so no f'ing way or something like that

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #89 on: March 25, 2016, 01:17:09 AM »
Didn't father Wilde perpetuate it-what's his name, stolenwerk on the board(ceo of that shoe co.) offered $1 mil if they would change the eagle name back to warriors.  Wilde so no f'ing way or something like that

I recall it being the CEO of Kimberly Clark who made that offer.

As bad as DiUlio was Pilarz made him look like Thomas F#cking Jefferson

Death on call

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #90 on: March 25, 2016, 08:08:21 AM »

As bad as DiUlio was Pilarz made him look like Thomas F#cking Jefferson

It was John stolenwerk, then ceo of Allen Edmonds shoes who probably also said that if the name were changed back, he and another ceo (Kimberly Clarke?) would donate $1 million. Looking for it online, I could only find it mentioned by the always controversial  John mccadams in his blog. Father Wilde drank from the same well

Marquette Warrior: Marquette's Trustee Losers
mu-warrior.blogspot.com › 2005/05 › m...
May 19, 2005 - John Stollenwerk — Jumping into the Breach to Defend a Position Your ... Change the name from “Golden Eagles” ... and an another alumnus (unnamed) would chip in another million.

My intentions here were not to reopen any mccadams nor name change events, but to verify who and when that whole fiasco returned its 2nd time around

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #91 on: March 25, 2016, 01:54:09 PM »

This is accurate and the other donor also had ties.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #92 on: March 25, 2016, 07:23:29 PM »
This is accurate and the other donor also had ties.

I guess $$$ don't talk all da time

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #93 on: March 25, 2016, 11:01:15 PM »
I guess $$$ don't talk all da time

In modern times, $2 million is nothing.  Father Wild managed to get at least a half-dozen 8-figure donations during his tenure.  $2 million is barely enough to get the right to name a classroom, much less the University's most valuable asset.

This is what Fr. Wild was thinking when that offer was made:

Have some patience, FFS.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #94 on: March 26, 2016, 06:35:32 PM »
In modern times, $2 million is nothing.  Father Wild managed to get at least a half-dozen 8-figure donations during his tenure.  $2 million is barely enough to get the right to name a classroom, much less the University's most valuable asset.

This is what Fr. Wild was thinking when that offer was made:

that measly $2 million probably wouldn't even cover a bad title IX lawsuit, i.e. the mattress girl, et.al.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #95 on: March 26, 2016, 08:21:04 PM »
that measly $2 million probably wouldn't even cover a bad title IX lawsuit, i.e. the mattress girl, et.al.

Seriously, I am not sure $2 million would cover the cost of doing all the rebranding that would be necessary.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 08:22:35 PM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #96 on: March 26, 2016, 08:57:41 PM »
But it would all be more than offset by a massive increase in Warrior gear sales.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #97 on: March 26, 2016, 09:01:26 PM »
But it would all be more than offset by a massive increase in Warrior gear sales.

You are making my point.  If alumni want to bribe Marquette into changing their name back, it is going to take a lot more money than a paltry $2 million.
Have some patience, FFS.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #98 on: March 26, 2016, 09:24:05 PM »
My uncle, an MU law grad and judge, went on a trip to France.  His wife, my aunt(of course) broke a tooth.  The first dentist they found was an MU grad; this is no chit ey.  The first thing he said to them(or axked) was, why did they change the warrior name and he would give his left one to change it back.  Not sure how much left ones go for now days

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #99 on: March 28, 2016, 09:59:21 AM »
images like this never helped

https://i.imgur.com/duMojKG.gifv