[Today at 01:04:10 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Uncle Rico
[Today at 01:03:27 PM]

Tyler Kolek's "legacy" by Newsdreams
[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

NC State by Sturgeon General Warrior
[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Soccer outdrawing baseball since the end of the World Cup  (Read 11066 times)

Aughnanure

• All American
Re: Soccer outdrawing baseball since the end of the World Cup
« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2014, 09:31:50 AM »
I can't understand how so many people get into such a frenzy about about a bunch of guys running around not scoring

I can't understand how so many people get into such a frenzy if a sport doesn't conform to what they're familiar with.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #51 on: August 11, 2014, 09:34:09 AM »
I can't understand how so many people get into such a frenzy if a sport doesn't conform to what they're familiar with.

Thank you.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #52 on: August 11, 2014, 09:48:15 AM »
Did you see my next post? Soccer remains in that 25-35% popularity niche since 1994.

PTM, you have to take those 1994 numbers with a grain of salt based likely on World Cup hype.  The basic facts do not support what people said back then.

This is like asking people during the winter olympics if they are "fans of bobsledding."  A bunch of people are going to say "yes" even though they only watch it for a couple of weeks every four years - and have no clue about the sport otherwise.

This is exactly why people answered the way they did back in 1994.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2014, 11:04:13 AM »

PTM, you have to take those 1994 numbers with a grain of salt based likely on World Cup hype.  The basic facts do not support what people said back then.

This is like asking people during the winter olympics if they are "fans of bobsledding."  A bunch of people are going to say "yes" even though they only watch it for a couple of weeks every four years - and have no clue about the sport otherwise.

This is exactly why people answered the way they did back in 1994.

I can see that, but couldn't the same point be made coming off the World Cup this year then?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2014, 11:07:53 AM »
I can see that, but couldn't the same point be made coming off the World Cup this year then?

I'm sure it has inflated part of those numbers. 

But I am talking about the mountains of other evidence that suggests that the sport is growing more than in the past.  (healthy domestic league, European games on television, barnstorming tours of the US)  None of that existed in the US back in 1994. 

What I am saying is that you can't just go by a simple survey.  Look at everything else that has transpired since then.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #55 on: August 11, 2014, 11:19:13 AM »

I'm sure it has inflated part of those numbers. 

But I am talking about the mountains of other evidence that suggests that the sport is growing more than in the past.  (healthy domestic league, European games on television, barnstorming tours of the US)  None of that existed in the US back in 1994. 

What I am saying is that you can't just go by a simple survey.  Look at everything else that has transpired since then.

I don't put too much weight in the televised games, everyone needs content.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #56 on: August 11, 2014, 04:27:29 PM »
I'm a little surprised to see you write this.  Some of the best basketball centers and forwards grew up playing soccer which is why their footwork is so outstanding.  Olajuwon has said many times without soccer he never would have been the basketball player he became.

Is the reason they have fancy footwork attributable to the fact that they played soccer, or is it because they had fancy footwork that they found themselves able to play both soccer and basketball.  In other words, when's the last time you heard Shaq, Kareem, Wilt or P-Ew saying "I attribute my NBA success to the fact that I was really good at changing light bulbs growing up."

Also, soccer is typically a fall sport; basketball is winter.  Not so much the case anymore, but kids who were good at basketball usually played a different sport in the fall to stay in shape.... it's not too far fetched to think that many NBA basketball players played soccer at some point growing up.   I would bet a lot of NBA basketball players might have ran cross-country or track, and some were probably good at those, too.  That doesn't mean that success in one leads to success in the other.

Let's also keep in mind that soccer is/was the epicenter of the "everybody gets a trophy" movement.  If someone attributes success in something to the fact that they were a good soccer player, it's because everybody who played soccer was a good soccer player.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #57 on: August 11, 2014, 09:07:07 PM »
Is the reason they have fancy footwork attributable to the fact that they played soccer, or is it because they had fancy footwork that they found themselves able to play both soccer and basketball.  In other words, when's the last time you heard Shaq, Kareem, Wilt or P-Ew saying "I attribute my NBA success to the fact that I was really good at changing light bulbs growing up."

Also, soccer is typically a fall sport; basketball is winter.  Not so much the case anymore, but kids who were good at basketball usually played a different sport in the fall to stay in shape.... it's not too far fetched to think that many NBA basketball players played soccer at some point growing up.   I would bet a lot of NBA basketball players might have ran cross-country or track, and some were probably good at those, too.  That doesn't mean that success in one leads to success in the other.

Let's also keep in mind that soccer is/was the epicenter of the "everybody gets a trophy" movement.  If someone attributes success in something to the fact that they were a good soccer player, it's because everybody who played soccer was a good soccer player.

Just passing on what those players believed to be the case.  I'll try to find the NY Times article.  Kobe to this day raves about soccer being key for him in basketball development.  Steve Nash, the same. 

Out this way, soccer is a winter sport, guess it depends on where you live. 

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #58 on: August 12, 2014, 09:42:28 AM »

Actually, NCAA is looking to change this as early as 2015-16. Going to make it a year-round sport to hopefully focus on and improve technical skills and will minimize out of class time.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

feedback