[Today at 07:05:04 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by Daniel
[Today at 07:04:13 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by Judge Smails
[Today at 07:02:27 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by the eagle
[Today at 06:05:16 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Soccer outdrawing baseball since the end of the World Cup  (Read 11067 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Soccer outdrawing baseball since the end of the World Cup
« on: August 06, 2014, 02:19:09 PM »
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/soccer/chi-soccer-attendance-continues-to-soar-20140804-story.html

No World Cup? No problem as soccer attendance continues to soar
By Kevin Baxter

A month after the U.S. was eliminated from the World Cup, the country's new-found passion for soccer showed no signs of ebbing, with 10 soccer games drawing a higher average attendance, then 15 major league baseball games on Saturday.

According to Soccer America's Paul Kennedy, the average attendance for 10 professional soccer matches Saturday -- six in Major League Soccer and four in the International Champions Cup tournament -- was 36,317. Saturday's 15 major league baseball games averaged 34,179.

The soccer numbers were helped by the record 109,318 fans who turned out to see Manchester United beat Real Madrid in the International Champions Cup at Michigan Stadium. That was the largest crowd ever for a soccer game in the U.S.

Another Champions Cup game between Liverpool and AC Milan at Bank of America Stadium in Charlotte drew 69,364, the largest crowd ever to watch a game in North Carolina. The largest MLS crowd was the 48,765 that turned out to see the San Jose Earthquakes and Seattle Sounders christen the 49ers' new Levi's Stadium in Santa Clara.

Still not impressed?

Well, a day later the Portland Thorns and Houston Dash of the National Women's Soccer League broke the league attendance record when 19,123 showed up at Providence Park in Portland. That was larger than the crowd that turned out in Cleveland to watch the Indians and Texas Rangers and just 800 less than the attendance in Houston where the Astros played the Blue Jays.

All this comes on the heels of the first post-World Cup friendly in the U.S., which drew 86,432 to the Rose Bowl on July 23 to see Manchester United rout the Galaxy, 7-0.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
Re: Soccer outdrawing baseball since the end of the World Cup
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 02:34:54 PM »
Maybe the Budster should dredge the sewer and bring back Big Mac and the Sammer to spark some interest 

Death on call

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 03:13:57 PM »
One day abberation caused by 109k at the Big House.    What was the average if that game is taken out?   Having said that, soccer will continue to grow.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 04:15:05 PM »
The Sounders average more than 40'000 per game every season, playing in Century Link Field. There is a lot of enthusiasm for the club with fans emulating European followership with painted faces, singing, and scarves. I have no idea about the quality of play - hell I don't even know what their League is called - but they do have a passionate fan base. I have been near the stadium on game day and it is a boisterous crowd. Having said which I will likely never attend one of their matches as I find the sport mind numbing.

Death on call

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2014, 04:17:46 PM »
One day abberation caused by 109k at the Big House.    What was the average if that game is taken out?   Having said that, soccer will continue to grow.   

Not only that, but it was by and large a special event.  Not just some regular season game in the middle of August.

Soccer fans would do best not to make such comparisons, because they don't hold water in the long run, but to just be content that the market continues to grow.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2014, 04:19:46 PM »
Hockey fans are going to get real defensive soon (not that they aren't already).
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2014, 04:22:35 PM »
Hockey fans are going to get real defensive soon (not that they aren't already).

I have really outgrown the "my sport/team/whatever is most popular/best etc." type arguments.

I like what sports I like, and what teams I like, and just want to get some enjoyment out of it.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2014, 04:24:48 PM »

I have really outgrown the "my sport/team/whatever is most popular/best etc." type arguments.

I like what sports I like, and what teams I like, and just want to get some enjoyment out of it.

More pointing out that Hockey fans are already insanely defensive towards basketball (i.e., LeBron cramping memes), and it's going to be fun to wathc them start targeting more and more as it threatens their Top 4 "status".
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 04:29:42 PM by Aughnanure »
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2014, 05:14:49 PM »

Yeah, I don't "get" those kind of arguments either. I've been a White Sox fan all my life and for most of that time the Cubs have had more fans than the Sox. For some strange reason this is a source of pride for some of my Cub fan friends. Unless you're an owner or a stockholder, who cares?

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2014, 06:11:35 PM »
A month after the U.S. was eliminated from the World Cup, the country's new-found passion for soccer showed no signs of ebbing, with 10 soccer games drawing a higher average attendance, then 15 major league baseball games on Saturday.

According to Soccer America's Paul Kennedy, the average attendance for 10 professional soccer matches Saturday -- six in Major League Soccer and four in the International Champions Cup tournament -- was 36,317. Saturday's 15 major league baseball games averaged 34,179.

The soccer numbers were helped by the record 109,318 fans who turned out to see Manchester United beat Real Madrid in the International Champions Cup at Michigan Stadium. That was the largest crowd ever for a soccer game in the U.S.

Another Champions Cup game between Liverpool and AC Milan at Bank of America Stadium in Charlotte drew 69,364, the largest crowd ever to watch a game in North Carolina. The largest MLS crowd was the 48,765 that turned out to see the San Jose Earthquakes and Seattle Sounders christen the 49ers' new Levi's Stadium in Santa Clara.

4 games of non-regular competition, a couple of which had "big name teams" (from what I'm told). Why compare those to MLB regular season games?

6 MLS games... averaged less than 23k. That includes 49k in a game that allowed football (real football) fans their first chance to see the 49ers new stadium. The soccer team that they watched... their last game at Candlestick Park was a 0-0 barnburner that apparently was a friendly.. couldn't easily find the attendance. The game prior to that packed in 10,525.

The other 5 MLS games.. average of less than 18k. yay, better than baseball!

kick the ball!

Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2014, 09:40:41 PM »
Really, really poor comparison.

Soccer isn't any bigger than it was in '94.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2014, 10:09:11 PM »
The Sounders average more than 40'000 per game every season, playing in Century Link Field. There is a lot of enthusiasm for the club with fans emulating European followership with painted faces, singing, and scarves. I have no idea about the quality of play - hell I don't even know what their League is called - but they do have a passionate fan base. I have been near the stadium on game day and it is a boisterous crowd. Having said which I will likely never attend one of their matches as I find the sport mind numbing.

This past MUBB season was numbing
SS Marquette

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2014, 11:33:29 PM »
This past MUBB season was numbing

All we want from you is another photo of your friend!

Death on call

chapman

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2014, 07:32:48 AM »
All about sampling.  Here's another:

Wednesday, August 6

Baseball: 15 games, 464,857 fans, 30,990 average

Soccer: 1 game (MLS All-Stars vs. Bayern Munich in Portland) 21,733 fans

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2014, 08:05:24 AM »

That's not accurate.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2014, 08:36:54 AM »

Yeah that's not accurate. 

In 1994 the US had no major domestic league.  MLS is very healthy league that is growing in respectability.

In 1994 you couldn't catch any European soccer on television.  Now you can watch a bunch of EPL games on NBC Sports, and a good portion of the Champions League on FS1 or even on Fox.

In 1994 European teams didn't barnstorm the United States during pre-season.  Now you can catch such games pretty much anywhere in late July / early August.

In 1994 you would never have seen non-American soccer stars in sports commercials, and now you can see a few.

It's not huge.  But it is significant and it is growing.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2014, 09:58:15 AM »

Yeah that's not accurate. 

In 1994 the US had no major domestic league.  MLS is very healthy league that is growing in respectability.

In 1994 you couldn't catch any European soccer on television.  Now you can watch a bunch of EPL games on NBC Sports, and a good portion of the Champions League on FS1 or even on Fox.

In 1994 European teams didn't barnstorm the United States during pre-season.  Now you can catch such games pretty much anywhere in late July / early August.

In 1994 you would never have seen non-American soccer stars in sports commercials, and now you can see a few.

It's not huge.  But it is significant and it is growing.

No need to stop there. Best soccer channel in America is beIn Sports which features the Spanish league, Italian league, and the French league. Throw in internet streaming from this channel as well as ESPN and Fox and an 11 year old kid can even watch matches all the way from Russia to Brasil.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2014, 10:06:44 AM »
All about sampling.  Here's another:

Wednesday, August 6

Baseball: 15 games, 464,857 fans, 30,990 average

Soccer: 1 game (MLS All-Stars vs. Bayern Munich in Portland) 21,733 fans

Considering the Portland stadium holds only 20,000, that's pretty good. It's just terrible to compare any of these since the sizes of the stadiums are a huge part of it. Comparing the NFL to MLB based on average attendance would be the same. There are no 80,000 seat MLB ballparks.

Basketball and Hockey are much better comparisons attendance wise, but it's still highly flawed due to the vast differences in arena sizes. One may be sold-out every game but tops out at 16,800. Does that mean Sporting KC averaging almost 18,000 is more popular? Well, maybe if it's the Bucks but you know what I mean.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2014, 10:19:50 AM »
I very much enjoyed watching the World Cup and am pleased that soccer is catching on here in the US.  Most major sports (including soccer) are drawing very well these days.  The one exception right now is NASCAR as as a lifelong racing fan I have trouble putting my finger on why it has become vanilla and boring over the last several years.  I guess for me it has become a bit too antiseptic.  Gone are the drivers, teams and tracks that brought character to the sport.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2014, 10:27:46 AM »
I very much enjoyed watching the World Cup and am pleased that soccer is catching on here in the US.  Most major sports (including soccer) are drawing very well these days.  The one exception right now is NASCAR as as a lifelong racing fan I have trouble putting my finger on why it has become vanilla and boring over the last several years.  I guess for me it has become a bit too antiseptic.  Gone are the drivers, teams and tracks that brought character to the sport.

Same type of driver driving the same type of car on the same type of track...week after week after week after week.  The season is endless.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2014, 10:42:57 AM »

Same type of driver driving the same type of car on the same type of track...week after week after week after week.  The season is endless.

Plus how long is that offseason? 6 weeks?

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2014, 09:14:39 PM »
The one exception right now is NASCAR as as a lifelong racing fan I have trouble putting my finger on why it has become vanilla and boring over the last several years.  I guess for me it has become a bit too antiseptic.  Gone are the drivers, teams and tracks that brought character to the sport.

I'm curious Glow: Finance exec with a top drawer MBA who follows NASCAR? You're not the sweet spot of their target demographic.

But my question is whether you consider NASCAR an actual sport? I would submit that flying tactical aircraft is more physically demanding, requires infinitely greater coordination, and is far more dangerous and while fighter squadron personnel work out like fiends no one has ever suggested they are world class athletes. Do you really categorize NASCAR as a 'sport?'

Death on call

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2014, 08:32:26 AM »
I'm curious Glow: Finance exec with a top drawer MBA who follows NASCAR? You're not the sweet spot of their target demographic.

But my question is whether you consider NASCAR an actual sport? I would submit that flying tactical aircraft is more physically demanding, requires infinitely greater coordination, and is far more dangerous and while fighter squadron personnel work out like fiends no one has ever suggested they are world class athletes. Do you really categorize NASCAR as a 'sport?'

Atypical for sure.  My love of racing stems from my childhood going to races in southeast Wisconsin with my grandfather and my cousins.  Absolutely love the sounds and smells at the track.  Classic venues like Hales Corners, Slinger, Rockford, Madison and of course the Milwaukee Mile, America's oldest operating oval.  Wisconsin was a huge racing hub back in the day.  Local drivers actually made a living and supported a family by running the circuit.  Of course the greatest of these was the late Dick Trickle.

I agree with the notion that it's all too similar and vanilla today.  Areo push at cookie cutter tracks has replaced careful tire management and mechanical grip on the sandy surface at Rockingham and long gone are the days when a bright self funded Wisconsin kid (Alan Kulwicki) could head south with a one man team and win a championship.  If you want to see the greatest NASCAR race ever, go youtube the 1992 Championship finale at Atlanta.

And yes, I do consider it to be a sport but I would not necessarily call drivers athletes.  Ironic that I'd view professional wrestling to NOT be a sport (actually it's theater) but would probably call wrestlers athletes.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 09:02:31 AM by jsglow »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2014, 08:38:55 AM »
I also wonder if some of this is NASCAR regressing back to a more "natural" audience.  I think a lot of "casual" fans seemed to get caught up in it, and are really not as interested as they were.  (Perhaps a cautionary tale for soccer?)

But if you compare the fan base to what it was 25 years ago, I would guess that it is assuredly much larger.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2014, 08:50:22 AM »
I think a lot of truth in that Sultan.  Part of my view is that NASCAR attempted to appeal to that much larger audience and actually ended up damaging the sport.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2014, 09:47:59 AM »
of course the Milwaukee Mile, America's oldest operating oval.  Wisconsin

I'll be riding a lap again during the National Anthem for Indyfest in 2 weeks (we do that for every race at the Milwaukee Mile)

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2014, 10:04:35 AM »
WWE draws a pretty big crowd too, and like soccer, has benefited from being a fad from time to time.  In fact, on the sport vs. entertainment spectrum, soccer and professional wrestling fall in the same spot.  Exhibit A, a quick summary of soccer's offsides rule, translated for the benefit of the world's soccer enthusiasts:

[American Version]
"Oh hey, I can run faster than you, but I'm not going to because the point of this game isn't to score a goal, it's to roll around on the pitch upon the slightest of contact, whining like a little third grader who got his My Little Pony taken away."

[British Version]
"Bloody hell, I can run faster than you my good chap, but I'm not going to because the point of this game isn't to score a goal, it's to roll around on the pitch when you're knocked about, whining like a little daft cow gone collywobbles because his John Thomas got stuck in the flies of his knickers."

[French Version]
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/e/yZUKEVU-TwM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/e/yZUKEVU-TwM</a>

[Poor European Country Version]
"Oh hey, I can run faster than you, but I'm not going to because the point of this game isn't to score a goal, it's to roll around on the pitch upon the slightest of contact, whining like a little third grader who just got kicked out of his house by Russian-backed militants."

[Rest of the Soccer World Version - Temperate Climate]
"Oh hey, I can run faster than you, but I'm not going to because the point of this game isn't to score a goal, it's to roll around on the pitch upon the slightest of contact, whining like a little third grader whose toy horse made from a clump of dirt fell apart."
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2014, 07:54:28 AM »
In a new Washington Post-ABC News poll, 46 percent of Americans say they feel the sport will become more popular in the next decade, but there has been little change in the number who consider themselves fans of professional soccer over the past two decades. Some 28 percent identify themselves as fans today, compared with 31 percent on the eve of the 1994 World Cup

And scene.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2014, 08:05:17 AM »
In a new Washington Post-ABC News poll, 46 percent of Americans say they feel the sport will become more popular in the next decade, but there has been little change in the number who consider themselves fans of professional soccer over the past two decades. Some 28 percent identify themselves as fans today, compared with 31 percent on the eve of the 1994 World Cup

And scene.

How fans perceive themselves is much different than hard evidence.  And I can guaranty you, that with no domestic league and little coverage of the European leagues, 31% of Americans were *not* fans of professional soccer.  Most Americans had no clue...*I* had no clue.

I am pretty sure the last professional soccer game I watched before the 1994 World Cup was the 1990 World Cup.

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2014, 09:15:46 AM »
If I were to ever have children, the one sport they'd be forbidden to play or even watch on TV is soccer

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2014, 09:22:25 AM »
If I were to ever have children, the one sport they'd be forbidden to play or even watch on TV is soccer

Their loss.  Soccer is a great first sport for kids.  At that level, the objectives and rules are simple.  They get to run around.  It doesn't take a great deal of time.

All my kids played, but none stuck with it past fifth grade but moved to other things.  They got to hang out with friends, run around, got a nice t-shirt, and were introduced to the basic concepts of being a teammate and sports in general.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2014, 10:01:14 AM »

And scene.

Pretty sure it's end scene.  :P

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2014, 10:05:46 AM »

Care to expand?

Concussion concern? Physicality of the game? Child with likely no talent? Or, perhaps, low self esteem in a parental figure transposing that into the form of a child if they play a kitten sport?

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2014, 02:06:41 PM »
Care to expand?

Concussion concern? Physicality of the game? Child with likely no talent? Or, perhaps, low self esteem in a parental figure transposing that into the form of a child if they play a kitten sport?

Well the child would probably have very little athletic talent, there's no doubt about that.

Honestly, I just find it to be so brutally boring at the highest level that I never want to have to be compelled to watch even the lowest level of the sport.

I gave it a try during the World Cup. I made it about half a game before I had to walk away. I can't understand how so many people get into such a frenzy about about a bunch of guys running around not scoring

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2014, 02:18:00 PM »
I can't understand how so many people get into such a frenzy about about a bunch of guys running around not scoring

I think you just described my freshman year in McCormick.

<rimshot>

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2014, 02:54:36 PM »

I gave it a try during the World Cup. I made it about half a game before I had to walk away. I can't understand how so many people get into such a frenzy about about a bunch of guys running around not scoring

I don't know, if you are at the proper bar, that can be very amusing. 

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2014, 02:57:04 PM »
Care to expand?

One thing I have noticed in my experience, is that even if a person is good at soccer, it doesn't necessarily translate into good athlete.  Yes they can usually run, but they don't necessarily have skills that aid them in other sports.  If a kid grows up playing baseball, they usually have core skills that help in football, basketball etc.  From the people I know that played soccer, it doesn't seem to have the same effect. 

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2014, 07:22:26 PM »
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/soccer/chi-soccer-attendance-continues-to-soar-20140804-story.html

No World Cup? No problem as soccer attendance continues to soar
By Kevin Baxter

Still not impressed?

Well, a day later the Portland Thorns and Houston Dash of the National Women's Soccer League broke the league attendance record when 19,123 showed up at Providence Park in Portland. That was larger than the crowd that turned out in Cleveland to watch the Indians and Texas Rangers and just 800 less than the attendance in Houston where the Astros played the Blue Jays.

All this comes on the heels of the first post-World Cup friendly in the U.S., which drew 86,432 to the Rose Bowl on July 23 to see Manchester United rout the Galaxy, 7-0.

Yes, but do they play 162 games each season.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2014, 07:54:00 PM »
Well the child would probably have very little athletic talent, there's no doubt about that.

Honestly, I just find it to be so brutally boring at the highest level that I never want to have to be compelled to watch even the lowest level of the sport.

With your screen name,  clearly you prefer watching a bunch of guys standing around for 3 hours.   ;D

wildbill sb

• Team Captain
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2014, 08:53:33 PM »
One thing I have noticed in my experience, is that even if a person is good at soccer, it doesn't necessarily translate into good athlete.  Yes they can usually run, but they don't necessarily have skills that aid them in other sports.  If a kid grows up playing baseball, they usually have core skills that help in football, basketball etc.  From the people I know that played soccer, it doesn't seem to have the same effect. 

Different skill set, BC, no?  Foot-eye coordination vs. hand-eye (except for goalkeepers - which leads to a different discussion about US achievements on the international level at GK).  The reverse is also true:  baseball or football or basketball skills don't translate to soccer either for the same reason.
“I’m working as hard as I can to get my life and my cash to run out at the same time. If I can just die after lunch Tuesday, everything will be perfect.”  - Doug Sanders, professional golfer

chren21

• All American
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2014, 04:36:36 AM »

Totally disagree.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2014, 03:30:34 PM »
Totally disagree.

That's fine.  Not an exhaustive study.  Completely anecdotal from my experience. 

TheBurrEffect

• Starter
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2014, 10:53:48 PM »

While the comparison was poor, your 2nd sentence was even poorer.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2014, 01:38:03 AM »

I'm a little surprised to see you write this.  Some of the best basketball centers and forwards grew up playing soccer which is why their footwork is so outstanding.  Olajuwon has said many times without soccer he never would have been the basketball player he became.

I played soccer my whole life, but also excelled at football and baseball.  Soccer was the core for me because it is the one sport more than any other, IMO, that teaches you not only footwork but spacing.  The idea of how to move into space and think 2, 3, 4 plays ahead is wildy important skill to learn in soccer. 

At any rate, some high level basketball players that attribute soccer as part of their success.

Kobe Bryant
Jason Kidd
Olajuwon
Tim  Duncan
Grant Hill
Steve Nash
Tony Parker
Dirk Novitzki
etc, etc.

NY Times did a nice piece on soccer as the building block for successful NBA players about 5 years ago.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2014, 08:07:34 AM »

Their loss.  Soccer is a great first sport for kids.  At that level, the objectives and rules are simple.  They get to run around.  It doesn't take a great deal of time.

All my kids played, but none stuck with it past fifth grade but moved to other things.  They got to hang out with friends, run around, got a nice t-shirt, and were introduced to the basic concepts of being a teammate and sports in general.

+1.  Possibly the best sport for kids K through 3rd grade.  Everyone (excluding a very few special needs kids) can run around and be an integral part of the team.  They get exercise, learn sportsmanship, make friends, win a trophy, etc.  All good.  My son played 7-8 years at the Park District level but moved on to other sports in HS.  His many soccer trophies still stand in his bedroom.

And if you as a prospective parent are worried about being bored on Saturday morning for an hour I'll submit that you'll feel differently when you actuall have kids.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2014, 08:20:49 AM »

This is the crux of the problem of the sport to me.  I watched a lot of the World Cup this year as a spectacle like the Olympics.  The participants are wonderful, gifted athletes with incredible skill.  But if all that wonderful skill doesn't lead to much in terms of tangible benefit (i.e. goals), what's the point?  It seems to me (and I know I am a neophyte with the sport) that a goal is at least as likely to be scored due to a defensive misplay than it is great work by an offense.  I know people say baseball is boring, but there is always a real threat of a score.  And the few guys that can totally shut the opposition down (guys like Kershaw) are exciting because we know from experience how hard it is to keep major leaguers off the scoreboard for 9 innings.  Doesn't seem that hard to do in soccer since somebody seems to do it practically every single game.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2014, 08:32:26 AM »
This is the crux of the problem of the sport to me.  I watched a lot of the World Cup this year as a spectacle like the Olympics.  The participants are wonderful, gifted athletes with incredible skill.  But if all that wonderful skill doesn't lead to much in terms of tangible benefit (i.e. goals), what's the point?  It seems to me (and I know I am a neophyte with the sport) that a goal is at least as likely to be scored due to a defensive misplay than it is great work by an offense.  I know people say baseball is boring, but there is always a real threat of a score.  And the few guys that can totally shut the opposition down (guys like Kershaw) are exciting because we know from experience how hard it is to keep major leaguers off the scoreboard for 9 innings.  Doesn't seem that hard to do in soccer since somebody seems to do it practically every single game.

I always thought I'd have more interest if the US did what we do best and bastardized soccer - college had a start with changing the un-American clock rules.  Instead 2-0 is still a blowout, nobody throws their beer at people who sing in the stands, and even the completely retarded European style team names have been adapted to US soccer.  

I'll watch the women's World Cup though

River rat

• Team Captain
« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2014, 08:35:40 AM »

ummm you correctly called it a dumb comparison and then destroy any credibility with an even dumber followup comment, why?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2014, 08:46:46 AM »
ummm you correctly called it a dumb comparison and then destroy any credibility with an even dumber followup comment, why?

Did you see my next post? Soccer remains in that 25-35% popularity niche since 1994.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2014, 09:18:41 AM »
I'm a little surprised to see you write this.  Some of the best basketball centers and forwards grew up playing soccer which is why their footwork is so outstanding.  Olajuwon has said many times without soccer he never would have been the basketball player he became.

I played soccer my whole life, but also excelled at football and baseball.  Soccer was the core for me because it is the one sport more than any other, IMO, that teaches you not only footwork but spacing.  The idea of how to move into space and think 2, 3, 4 plays ahead is wildy important skill to learn in soccer. 

At any rate, some high level basketball players that attribute soccer as part of their success.

Kobe Bryant
Jason Kidd
Olajuwon
Tim  Duncan
Grant Hill
Steve Nash
Tony Parker
Dirk Novitzki
etc, etc.

NY Times did a nice piece on soccer as the building block for successful NBA players about 5 years ago.

I don't know about everyone on your list but can say Tim Duncan was a swimmer not a soccer player AFAIK.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2014, 09:31:50 AM »
I can't understand how so many people get into such a frenzy about about a bunch of guys running around not scoring

I can't understand how so many people get into such a frenzy if a sport doesn't conform to what they're familiar with.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #51 on: August 11, 2014, 09:34:09 AM »
I can't understand how so many people get into such a frenzy if a sport doesn't conform to what they're familiar with.

Thank you.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #52 on: August 11, 2014, 09:48:15 AM »
Did you see my next post? Soccer remains in that 25-35% popularity niche since 1994.

PTM, you have to take those 1994 numbers with a grain of salt based likely on World Cup hype.  The basic facts do not support what people said back then.

This is like asking people during the winter olympics if they are "fans of bobsledding."  A bunch of people are going to say "yes" even though they only watch it for a couple of weeks every four years - and have no clue about the sport otherwise.

This is exactly why people answered the way they did back in 1994.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2014, 11:04:13 AM »

PTM, you have to take those 1994 numbers with a grain of salt based likely on World Cup hype.  The basic facts do not support what people said back then.

This is like asking people during the winter olympics if they are "fans of bobsledding."  A bunch of people are going to say "yes" even though they only watch it for a couple of weeks every four years - and have no clue about the sport otherwise.

This is exactly why people answered the way they did back in 1994.

I can see that, but couldn't the same point be made coming off the World Cup this year then?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2014, 11:07:53 AM »
I can see that, but couldn't the same point be made coming off the World Cup this year then?

I'm sure it has inflated part of those numbers. 

But I am talking about the mountains of other evidence that suggests that the sport is growing more than in the past.  (healthy domestic league, European games on television, barnstorming tours of the US)  None of that existed in the US back in 1994. 

What I am saying is that you can't just go by a simple survey.  Look at everything else that has transpired since then.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #55 on: August 11, 2014, 11:19:13 AM »

I'm sure it has inflated part of those numbers. 

But I am talking about the mountains of other evidence that suggests that the sport is growing more than in the past.  (healthy domestic league, European games on television, barnstorming tours of the US)  None of that existed in the US back in 1994. 

What I am saying is that you can't just go by a simple survey.  Look at everything else that has transpired since then.

I don't put too much weight in the televised games, everyone needs content.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #56 on: August 11, 2014, 04:27:29 PM »

Is the reason they have fancy footwork attributable to the fact that they played soccer, or is it because they had fancy footwork that they found themselves able to play both soccer and basketball.  In other words, when's the last time you heard Shaq, Kareem, Wilt or P-Ew saying "I attribute my NBA success to the fact that I was really good at changing light bulbs growing up."

Also, soccer is typically a fall sport; basketball is winter.  Not so much the case anymore, but kids who were good at basketball usually played a different sport in the fall to stay in shape.... it's not too far fetched to think that many NBA basketball players played soccer at some point growing up.   I would bet a lot of NBA basketball players might have ran cross-country or track, and some were probably good at those, too.  That doesn't mean that success in one leads to success in the other.

Let's also keep in mind that soccer is/was the epicenter of the "everybody gets a trophy" movement.  If someone attributes success in something to the fact that they were a good soccer player, it's because everybody who played soccer was a good soccer player.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #57 on: August 11, 2014, 09:07:07 PM »
Is the reason they have fancy footwork attributable to the fact that they played soccer, or is it because they had fancy footwork that they found themselves able to play both soccer and basketball.  In other words, when's the last time you heard Shaq, Kareem, Wilt or P-Ew saying "I attribute my NBA success to the fact that I was really good at changing light bulbs growing up."

Also, soccer is typically a fall sport; basketball is winter.  Not so much the case anymore, but kids who were good at basketball usually played a different sport in the fall to stay in shape.... it's not too far fetched to think that many NBA basketball players played soccer at some point growing up.   I would bet a lot of NBA basketball players might have ran cross-country or track, and some were probably good at those, too.  That doesn't mean that success in one leads to success in the other.

Let's also keep in mind that soccer is/was the epicenter of the "everybody gets a trophy" movement.  If someone attributes success in something to the fact that they were a good soccer player, it's because everybody who played soccer was a good soccer player.

Just passing on what those players believed to be the case.  I'll try to find the NY Times article.  Kobe to this day raves about soccer being key for him in basketball development.  Steve Nash, the same. 

Out this way, soccer is a winter sport, guess it depends on where you live. 

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #58 on: August 12, 2014, 09:42:28 AM »

Actually, NCAA is looking to change this as early as 2015-16. Going to make it a year-round sport to hopefully focus on and improve technical skills and will minimize out of class time.