'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Big East ONLY Basketball Conference to Top $150 Million in Profits  (Read 8843 times)

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
Re: Big East ONLY Basketball Conference to Top $150 Million in Profits
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2014, 09:52:31 AM »
The problem I have with all of these statistics is that they make assumptions on the value of the "football part" of a television rights deal and the "basketball part."  Some of these assumptions are solid because they are broken down rather easily, but a lot of them are along the lines of "ESPN is paying $$$ for first and second tier football rights, as well as the right to televise ### basketball games per year."

How do you place a value on each part of that deal?

The take away I get is that BE basketball is very profitable.  Is it "the most" profitable?  Really who knows.  But the BE schools are making money on this, just like a lot of people predicted when the C7 went its own way.

The timing of the FoxSports1 startup, and its need for programming was quite fortuitous. 
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Jay Bee

• All American
Re: Big East ONLY Basketball Conference to Top $150 Million in Profits
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2014, 01:24:40 PM »
Quite perceptive.

For those who don't know, the article which is the subject of this thread was written by John Pudner, an esteemed MU alum who IIRC posts here as bamamarquettefan.  John also does quite well in his day job as a political consultant.

Given that these numbers come from Forbes, and John obviously finds them credible, frankly, I'm skeptical about any other Scoop posters credentials to challenge them.

The numbers do not come from Forbes, they are 5+ years old and they are not valid for their use in the article. It's flawed all the way around. Sorry, but that's the truth.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

feedback