collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Yo, Time For A New Tube, Y'all  (Read 16107 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Yo, Time For A New Tube, Y'all
« on: July 14, 2014, 10:37:59 AM »
So, I wanna purchase a new HDTV. Callin' on the plethora of knowledge aka my Scoop brothers and sisters. What should I get? Is Ultra HD worth it at this time? Is there enough programming currently for a purchase to make sense?
How 'bout reliable brands for a set about 65 inches? LED vs LCD? C'mon y'all, help a bro out.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
Re: Yo, Time For A New Tube, Y'all
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 10:40:39 AM »
So, I wanna purchase a new HDTV. Callin' on the plethora of knowledge aka my Scoop brothers and sisters. What should I get? Is Ultra HD worth it at this time? Is there enough programming currently for a purchase to make sense?
How 'bout reliable brands for a set about 65 inches? LED vs LCD? C'mon y'all, help a bro out.

4000K ain't even close to worth it right now.  LED vs LCD really has to do with what your intended purpose for the TV is.....what is the majority of the content you are watching(in which people are wearing clothes)?
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 10:41:08 AM »
If you have a darker room, say a basement rec room or room without natural light, I would consider a plasma if you can get one that big. The picture quality is better and they are much less expensive.  

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 10:44:13 AM »

My advice these days is to get the cheapest "name" brand you can find.  I paid a ton a money for a Samsung that broke in 4 years and was pissed off.  So now I've got a fairly cheap LG plasma that has been going for a few years.

In the 65" class, they're all going to have decent features, so don't waste money on crap that isn't made as well as it used to be...

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 10:44:26 AM »
Primarily used for sporting events and will be placed in a bright, great room area.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 10:45:01 AM »
Unlike Rocky, I've always bought Samsungs and had good experiences.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 10:46:52 AM »
Unlike Rocky, I've always bought Samsungs and had good experiences.

Fair enough.  I should clarify that I'm not against Samsung, I just wouldn't overpay for one.  In fact I just bought a cheap 32" Samsung for a guest room. 

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 10:52:44 AM »
Fair enough.  I should clarify that I'm not against Samsung, I just wouldn't overpay for one.  In fact I just bought a cheap 32" Samsung for a guest room. 

Yea. I have always bought the previous year's model when i get one. Usually several hundred less.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2014, 10:59:30 AM »
I'll point out a decent deal right now...

Samsung 65" smart TV @ dell

About $1400, but when you add it to your cart, you get a $400 dell e-gift card too.  So if there's anything else you'd like to buy at dell, not a bad deal.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 11:31:11 AM by rocky_warrior »

🏀

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2014, 11:06:39 AM »
4ever has the cash, go high end.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_30564P8500/Samsung-PN64F8500.html?tp=36003

Perfect for a bright room with the matte screen.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2014, 11:07:43 AM »
Just go on Amazon. There's usually some good deals there on last year's models.

augoman

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2014, 11:08:03 AM »
Remember to check walmart online pricing- free delivery to the nearest store and their great return policy for one year for any reason.  I have 3 from there over the past 4 years and great luck (2 50" sonys and a 32" vizio for the bath).  I actually got $300 back at the store when American TV was going out of business and advertised a sony for 300 less.  I took the ad into walmart and they fired up in cash!!

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2014, 11:09:28 AM »
Honestly, I've had nothing but good things to say about my Sony Bravia, and while I don't think it maters much(I have both) I do prefer Sony to Samsung.  Having said that, I'd go LCD and no need to overpay for anything.  Amazon typically has some pretty good deals, that's just as good as anywhere else.

The biggest differentiator for me is whether you need a smart tv.  If you've got wireless and don't feel like wiring up your laptop to your tv or don't have a table top streamer, get the smart tv....otherwise don't bother.  The smart TV is a little overpriced in my opinion for what the functionality set gets you.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2014, 11:11:32 AM »
Honestly, I've had nothing but good things to say about my Sony Bravia, and while I don't think it maters much(I have both) I do prefer Sony to Samsung.  Having said that, I'd go LCD and no need to overpay for anything.  Amazon typically has some pretty good deals, that's just as good as anywhere else.

The biggest differentiator for me is whether you need a smart tv.  If you've got wireless and don't feel like wiring up your laptop to your tv or don't have a table top streamer, get the smart tv....otherwise don't bother.  The smart TV is a little overpriced in my opinion for what the functionality set gets you.

Especially when you consider a $50 Roku will essentially do everything a Smart TV does.

That said, its a nice convenience and saves on the wires around your tv, so if a clean look and only having 1 remote is important to you, it might be worth it.

uncle zeffy

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2014, 11:36:32 AM »
My advice, buy last years model and scout the open box items at a Best Buy or a other retailer.

The open box items still come with a 1 year manufacture warranty, a 15 day return window (at Best Buy at least) and you have the option of buying the service warranty too if you would like.

I just got an open box 32" Samsumg LED for $200, list price last year was $350. So what it was missing a power cable and the stand "didnt work", a new power cable runs between $2-5 on Amazon and to fix the stand it needed new screws because some degenerate stripped it, 4 screws at Ace cost me $0.40. $2.40 in parts got me $150 off a TV...

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2014, 12:13:02 PM »
I'll throw in a plug for Amazon... bought an LG LED for the bedroom last year and couldn't be happier with the price, next-day shipping, or return policy. Although UPS drivers are smart enough not to leave TV boxes on an unattended doorstep even in the 'quon, you're probably going to take the day off work anyway to get things set up.

If you a) want a Black Friday deal but can't wait until November, or b) absolutely insist on having the most high-end, I don't think anyone in the retail industry can touch Costco's 90-day return policy on TVs.  Wait until late-August to buy, and when the new models are launched in time for the holidays, you can always "upgrade" or cash in on BF savings later.

The biggest differentiator for me is whether you need a smart tv.  If you've got wireless and don't feel like wiring up your laptop to your tv or don't have a table top streamer, get the smart tv....otherwise don't bother.  The smart TV is a little overpriced in my opinion for what the functionality set gets you.

+1.  If you don't stream over the web, forget about the Smart TV crap; if you do, get a Roku or Apple TV.  If you want something pretty you can show off to your friends, get a new car, not a TV.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Stronghold

• All American
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2014, 12:13:22 PM »

augoman

• All American
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2014, 01:20:09 PM »
what great reviews!  I wondered why there were so many before checking them out...,

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2014, 01:48:14 PM »
Most of the apps on Smart TVs are also on most Blu-ray players. As far as 4K/Ultra HD, there is really nothing (program material)except games and Blu-ray disks that are even 1080P let alone 4K. You might need to start watching out for HDMI 2.0 soon to be future-proof (not sure if available on current models yet).

My Sammy plasma has been fantastic the last 3 years - even with a bright room we do not have any problems with daylight viewing but my model does have a screen coating to reduce reflections. AKAIK plasmas are being discontinued, I think Samsung already dropped them and Panasonic might have as well.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2014, 01:50:07 PM »

???? So is that like 4,000,000 lines resolution LOL?

sorry I couldn't resist esp. from an engineer  ;D

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2014, 02:19:52 PM »
???? So is that like 4,000,000 lines resolution LOL?

sorry I couldn't resist esp. from an engineer  ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIMrFpnfvyI

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2014, 06:45:10 PM »
As someone who works in the commercial display industry (for a mfg), I will say we can not make 4K displays fast enough. Company I work for has a 98" coming in October, already sold out. Consumer side will be year(s) behind, but 4K will not be a fad like 3D.

So everyone knows, all LED's are LCD's. LED is simply the backlighting.

55" is the sweet spot in consumer/commercial right now, it's what 46" was a year ago.

Panel prices are going to go up Q4 or Q1 2015, so would suggest buying now. Smart TV's are a waste of the $100-$200 upsell.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2014, 07:04:54 PM »
You can barely see, old man. Spend $800-$1,200 for a 60-65" LED. TigerDirect.com, Best Buy, Amazon.. whatever it takes.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2014, 08:15:11 PM »
Thought you'd be at the Home Run Hittin' Derby tonight, Chief?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

reinko

• All American
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2014, 08:38:53 PM »
Thought you'd be at the Home Run Hittin' Derby tonight, Chief?

Nah,  JayBee is spittin rhymes at an after party.