Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Next years lineup/rotation and playing time  (Read 14273 times)

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
Re: Next years lineup/rotation and playing time
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2014, 04:02:34 PM »
What we do not know is who is going to benefit the most by Wojo's skill training. My gut feeling is that it is JJJ. However, Derrick could benefit greatly by being taught by coaches who were point guards. We also do not know, if old attitude problems are going to show up. Taylor and JJJ were going to transfer and Mayo was always in Buzz's doghouse. I always thought that minutes did not matter so much to Juan, but starting did and he almost transferred before last year and returned with the promise he did not have to play the four. Throw in Fischer, who bailed on Indiana at mid-season and you have 5 players that have red flags. A new coach gives them life, but in the long run you are not likely to keep all five players happy. It was Derrick that worked to keep the team together when we did not have a coach. Derrick is the team leader and Duane strikes me as one also. Dawson and Burton never gave me any indication that they had attitude problems. While talent matters, in the end the coach is going to play the players that have the right attitudes. Right now everyone has a clean slate, but someone is not going to start or play the position they want and we just do not know how they will react to it.

So you are saying that JJJ and Taylor have attitude problems? I'm curious as to why you think this. Also, just because someone transfers, I wouldn't go into the season thinking they are a red flag.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 04:09:31 PM by Wojo'sMojo »

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2014, 04:13:07 PM »
Earning minutes is important to any coach's practices and motivational angle.

But with a guard oriented approach, we're going to see possibly 4 guard sets a la Villanova with Juan playing the Cunningham role and Steve monitoring the center til Luke can play.

Because we're going to play lots of guards, the ability to hit the three is going to be important. Derrick's minutes may take a hit because of this.
SS Marquette

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2014, 05:45:05 PM »
So you are saying that JJJ and Taylor have attitude problems? I'm curious as to why you think this. Also, just because someone transfers, I wouldn't go into the season thinking they are a red flag.

JJJ and Taylor's situation depends on who you talk to. According to them, Buzz was unreasonable. According to Buzz, they had attitude problems. There is probably truth to both.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2014, 06:44:40 PM »
Mayo and Burton both should get 30 minutes per game - without question the two best players on the team.

That leaves 140 minutes for the other guys, and we'll be playing 3 guard ball all year long.

See the combination of Steve, Juan and Luke fighting for 50 minutes per game (the 10 Burton doesn't play, and 40 minutes of needing a "big" paired with Burton and 3 guards.)

That leaves 90 minutes that Carlino, Dawson, Duane, JJJ and Derrick fight for...and I see that breaking as follows:

Carlino 27
JJJ 20
Dawson 20
Duane 15
Derrick 8

Cohen - DNP
Sorry--don't agree. Mayo is only a scorer. he can't handle, and is only average on D. If Duane only gets 15 mpg, we have problems.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2014, 07:31:47 PM »
This would be how i would distribute playing time if I was in Wojo's shoes, given what I know
Starting lineup w/o Luke Fischer. Minutes per game in ()

PG: Carlino (30)- Proven scorer, we need someone who can shoot
SG: Mayo (30)- needs to be the "go to guy" that we needed last year. He had some amazing moments last season, hopefully he can be more consistent
SF: JJJ (20)- should be more productive with reliable minutes and confident from coach
PF: Burton (30)- needs to be a beast inside, play big, rebound, and score down low
C:  STJ (30)- until Luke comes back, STJ  needs to play all the mins he can handle, I hope he's healthy and ready, and playing with a chip on his shoulder after being dicked around last year by Brent
Juan PF/C (20)- needs to be active and aggressive and provide a spark of energy off the bench. Someone needs to play up front wen bane and Steve need a rest and he's the only real option. Played horribly last season but I think he's better than that. Also hopefully Wojo's stress on skill work(shooting/scoring) will help
Duane PG/SG (20)- hopefully he's as good as advertised. We need to have a guard who can score, and shoot off of the bench. Excited to see what he's got
Derrick PG (10)- we know what we're gunna get here, solid steady play and solid defense. Nothing more nothing less
Dawson PG (5)- I like Dawson and think he's solid but he's stuck in a crowded backcourt. He's good enough to be a solid Big East pg, just not on this team this year.
Cohen SF (5)- we'll see what he's got but I thing he's too small to play inside, and not a great shooter. Will develop over time but I don't see him making an immediate impact.

Many of these games without Fisher will be cupcakes. I would expect starters to see limited action and the deep bench will see additional playing time. 

In addition we'll have 3 games in 4 days during the Old Spice classic in Orlando, which means that even some of the tough games may see starters with more bench time so they're not worn out by the 3rd game.

I think its unlikely the roster is so shallow that we need four players to average 30 mpg during this stretch. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2014, 09:43:13 PM »
JJJ and Taylor's situation depends on who you talk to. According to them, Buzz was unreasonable. According to Buzz, they had attitude problems. There is probably truth to both.

Ever see a player with an attitude problem who didn't think his coach was unreasonable?

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2014, 01:02:15 AM »
Won't Otule get a few minutes per game?

I can't imagine a season without him!

No kidding. I started my freshman year September 2008. I literally have not watched an MU game in which a Otule was not on the roster. And that's coming from someone that missed less than 10 games over that 6 year span. Crazy.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2014, 04:43:41 AM »
Ever see a player with an attitude problem who didn't think his coach was unreasonable?

Ever see an unreasonable coach who didn't have players with attitude problems??

Death on call

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2014, 07:31:30 AM »
What I am saying is they have red flags, which could indicate the potential to be unhappy, if they do not get playing time. I think JJJ will play enough, so he that should not be a problem. Overall he seems to be a happy guy, but if he sees the same amount of time he saw under Buzz he will be gone. Right now everyone is happy until they find out where and how much they are playing.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2014, 07:40:46 AM »
Ever see an unreasonable coach who didn't have players with attitude problems??

I can't comment specifically on JJJ but I can safely assume that Steve remained a committed player, teammate, student and friend even while he was contemplating his future.  Steve is a super bright kid with his eye on the prize fully appreciating his basketball sponsored path to higher education and a better life.  He watched his coach under perform and certainly wondered what the next two years would bring.  In total agreement with keefe, anyone labeling Steve as some sort of problem is simply mistaken.  I'm confident he's pleased that things have worked out and I believe he'll work his butt off to be the best #5 he can be while waiting for Luke even though he'll never earn a paycheck at that position.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2014, 08:53:27 AM »
I think Carlino will get plenty if PT and the guard situation will work itself out - 3 spots all year. STJr and Bane are going to have to learn to avoid fouls. That will be hard for Steve vs. True 5's. And sadly, Juan, you're a 4 by default. Suck it up, don't sulk.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2014, 09:02:54 AM »
Sorry--don't agree. Mayo is only a scorer. he can't handle, and is only average on D. If Duane only gets 15 mpg, we have problems.

I think Mayo is a guy who can be a much better defender in different scheme.  He is a very good on-ball defender, but always seemed to be slower to recognize the proper rotation in the team defense. 

But you are correct about his ball handling abilities.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2014, 09:59:50 AM »

I think Mayo is a guy who can be a much better defender in different scheme.  He is a very good on-ball defender, but always seemed to be slower to recognize the proper rotation in the team defense. 

But you are correct about his ball handling abilities.

Todd is a very good on ball defender as you point out. Additionally, with regard to his ball handling - part of the reason he turns it over, is because he actually forces the action...aggressively pushes in transition, attacks the basket off the bounce.  He was by far the most aggressive guy on the team last year trying to create of the dribble and attack the basket.

Obviously, he was having to contend with a clogged lane and extra defender last season due to the limitations at PG...but the point is.....turnovers have a much higher propensity to happen when playing aggressively and attacking.  I can live with that.  I can't live with passive guard play, that never attacks, and merely reverses the ball around the perimeter while never putting pressure on the defense/collapsing the defense due to penetration.  That leads to 17-15 and missing the NIT.

"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

MU82

• All American
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2014, 10:04:26 AM »
I think Carlino will get plenty if PT and the guard situation will work itself out - 3 spots all year. STJr and Bane are going to have to learn to avoid fouls. That will be hard for Steve vs. True 5's. And sadly, Juan, you're a 4 by default. Suck it up, don't sulk.

Juan should watch hours of video on how Lazar battled bigs. Just looking at our roster, it's obvious he will be in that role occasionally - maybe even more than occasionally, especially before Fischer is eligible.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2014, 10:07:13 AM »
Todd is a very good on ball defender as you point out. Additionally, with regard to his ball handling - part of the reason he turns it over, is because he actually forces the action...aggressively pushes in transition, attacks the basket off the bounce.  He was by far the most aggressive guy on the team last year trying to create of the dribble and attack the basket.

Obviously, he was having to contend with a clogged lane and extra defender last season due to the limitations at PG...but the point is.....turnovers have a much higher propensity to happen when playing aggressively and attacking.  I can live with that.  I can't live with passive guard play, that never attacks, and merely reverses the ball around the perimeter while never putting pressure on the defense/collapsing the defense due to penetration.  That leads to 17-15 and missing the NIT.

It's more than that.  Mayo isn't great with his left hand isn't a terribly good passer.  

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2014, 11:29:58 AM »

The question is how many "True 5's" will Taylor really have to play against?

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2014, 12:02:04 PM »
It's more than that.  Mayo isn't great with his left hand isn't a terribly good passer.  

Todd's left may not be as good as his right..just as is the case with many players and their weak hand...however, his passing ability has gotten a bad rap..he sees the floor pretty well and evolved into a better passer last season without question.  Then again, when you are a guy who can go get you one..such as Burton, DJO, etc...passing isn't always their first priority.  Nonetheless, Todd assisted at a better rate last year than did Vander as a junior..and I don't recall people ever labeling Blue as either selfish or not being a good passer.  Todd has a very nice all around game...and I can't wait to see what he does this season - think he's going to have a monster year free from Buzz and playing alongside a better running mates in the backcourt.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2014, 01:20:00 PM »
Last year MU turned the ball over very little bringing the ball up court. Most of the turnovers occurred in their half court offense. I think paint touches are good, but if the other team knows that you are going to emphasize paint touches it gives them a defensive advantage. The dumbest thing last year was Buzz saying the players could not shoot until there was a paint touch. My biggest criticism of Derrick last year was not that he could not score, it was that he could not distribute the ball. There was quite a difference between the ability of Cadougan to drive the lane and drop a pass to Gardner and Derrick's ability to do the same thing. Hopefully, Wojo can teach Derrick the art of distributing the ball.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2014, 02:43:27 PM »
Last year MU turned the ball over very little bringing the ball up court. Most of the turnovers occurred in their half court offense. I think paint touches are good, but if the other team knows that you are going to emphasize paint touches it gives them a defensive advantage. The dumbest thing last year was Buzz saying the players could not shoot until there was a paint touch. My biggest criticism of Derrick last year was not that he could not score, it was that he could not distribute the ball. There was quite a difference between the ability of Cadougan to drive the lane and drop a pass to Gardner and Derrick's ability to do the same thing. Hopefully, Wojo can teach Derrick the art of distributing the ball.

Derrick has the ability to do what you mention above, but the problem was that since he struggled so mightily shooting from the perimeter - teams never crowded him on the perimeter - sagged 5 feet off of him - therefore he was never able to beat anybody off the dribble into the lane to force help, and create an easy dump off for Gardner, Jamil, or Chris.  The inability to shoot from the perimeter really makes it hard for a PG to be a playmaker.  Personally, I don't think Derrick is as bad of shooter as his stats reflect - just feel Buzz pretty much instructed him to not shoot from the perimeter unless a shot clock situation.  Confidence eroded.  Can't be a good shooter when thinking about shooting.

muwar2003

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2014, 08:38:06 PM »
Tony Miller and Sam Worthem  weren't good shooters

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2014, 09:08:52 PM »
Cadougan, especially as a junior, was not a good shooter.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2014, 09:35:10 PM »
Tony Miller and Sam Worthem  weren't good shooters

Tony Miller and Sam Worthen could score. They also could drive, dish and make their teammates better. And they did hit the occasional outside shot, which is more than last season's PG could do.

Cadougan could break down a defense and create opportunities for teammates. For a guy who was a lousy shooter, he hit a few big shots and had a couple of surprisingly good scoring games. I'd argue that he hit the single biggest shot of the entire 2012-13 season until Vander's make against Davidson.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2014, 09:37:53 PM »
Best PG in MU history (Dean Meminger) wasn't a good shooter. Ramon Rondo and John Wall couldn't beat Ners in a game of H-O-R-S-E but they're pretty good NBA point guards.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2014, 09:45:26 PM »
Yes, not all point guards are good shooters, but every single one of the names mentioned was a better outside shooter than Derrick was last year.

Hopefully he will get better.  That's about all you can say now.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2014, 09:50:54 PM »
Juan should watch hours of video on how Lazar battled bigs. Just looking at our roster, it's obvious he will be in that role occasionally - maybe even more than occasionally, especially before Fischer is eligible.

Juan has 1-2" over Lazar, but nowhere near the bulk. Juan will indeed have to battle bigs, but I don't see 'Zar as a model for how he might be able to do it successfully.

feedback