Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Next years lineup/rotation and playing time  (Read 14274 times)

Celtic Truth

• Starter
  • THE TRUTH
Next years lineup/rotation and playing time
« on: June 20, 2014, 09:20:39 PM »
This would be how i would distribute playing time if I was in Wojo's shoes, given what I know
Starting lineup w/o Luke Fischer. Minutes per game in ()

PG: Carlino (30)- Proven scorer, we need someone who can shoot
SG: Mayo (30)- needs to be the "go to guy" that we needed last year. He had some amazing moments last season, hopefully he can be more consistent
SF: JJJ (20)- should be more productive with reliable minutes and confident from coach
PF: Burton (30)- needs to be a beast inside, play big, rebound, and score down low
C:  STJ (30)- until Luke comes back, STJ  needs to play all the mins he can handle, I hope he's healthy and ready, and playing with a chip on his shoulder after being dicked around last year by Brent
Juan PF/C (20)- needs to be active and aggressive and provide a spark of energy off the bench. Someone needs to play up front wen bane and Steve need a rest and he's the only real option. Played horribly last season but I think he's better than that. Also hopefully Wojo's stress on skill work(shooting/scoring) will help
Duane PG/SG (20)- hopefully he's as good as advertised. We need to have a guard who can score, and shoot off of the bench. Excited to see what he's got
Derrick PG (10)- we know what we're gunna get here, solid steady play and solid defense. Nothing more nothing less
Dawson PG (5)- I like Dawson and think he's solid but he's stuck in a crowded backcourt. He's good enough to be a solid Big East pg, just not on this team this year.
Cohen SF (5)- we'll see what he's got but I thing he's too small to play inside, and not a great shooter. Will develop over time but I don't see him making an immediate impact.

Luke Fischer- when healthy he should start. Should play close to 30 mins a game. Cutting into Steve and Juan's minutes. Hopefully be can hold down the paint and be our go to guy for the BE schedule

However....... I'm not paid big money to make these decisions, Wojo is and I trust him to make the right moves. In Wojo we trust

bilsu

• All American
Re: Next years lineup/rotation and playing time
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 09:52:00 PM »
I think Derrick will play at least 20 minutes. I suspect no one will average 30 minutes a game. There is no way Burton will, if he does not learn how not to foul. Dawson will play more than 5 minutes. 20 minutes seems high for JJJ. JJJ will be fighting for minutes at the three as Mayo, Carlino and Duane Wilson will take almost all the minutes at the two. Despite the fact he is our 2nd biggest player, I am not sure how many minutes Steve Taylor Jr will get. I not sure how he fits in, if Wojo wants to press. Taylor last year showed that he could rebound, but he often got out of position on defense and missed several bunnies on offense. I am hoping for a big step up from him, but to assume he averages anywhere close to 30 minutes a game is a big leap in faith for me. I think he gets minutes similar to what Otule got last year, especially after Fischer is eligible.

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 09:59:57 PM »
This would be how i would distribute playing time if I was in Wojo's shoes, given what I know

SG: Mayo (30)- needs to be the "go to guy" that we needed last year. He had some amazing moments last season, hopefully he can be more consistent
SF: JJJ (20)- should be more productive with reliable minutes and confident from coach
PF: Burton (30)- needs to be a beast inside, play big, rebound, and score down low
C:  STJ (30)- until Luke comes back, STJ  needs to play all the mins he can handle, I hope he's healthy and ready, and playing with a chip on his shoulder after being dicked around last year by Brent
Juan PF/C (20)- needs to be active and aggressive and provide a spark of energy off the bench. Someone needs to play up front wen bane and Steve need a rest and he's the only real option. Played horribly last season but I think he's better than that. Also hopefully Wojo's stress on skill work(shooting/scoring) will help
Duane PG/SG (20)- hopefully he's as good as advertised. We need to have a guard who can score, and shoot off of the bench. Excited to see what he's got
Derrick PG (10)- we know what we're gunna get here, solid steady play and solid defense. Nothing more nothing less
Dawson PG (5)- I like Dawson and think he's solid but he's stuck in a crowded backcourt. He's good enough to be a solid Big East pg, just not on this team this year.
Cohen SF (5)- we'll see what he's got but I thing he's too small to play inside, and not a great shooter. Will develop over time but I don't see him making an immediate impact.

Luke Fischer- when healthy he should start. Should play close to 30 mins a game. Cutting into Steve and Juan's minutes. Hopefully be can hold down the paint and be our go to guy for the BE schedule

However....... I'm not paid big money to make these decisions, Wojo is and I trust him to make the right moves. In Wojo we trust

I think this looks pretty accurate. I see Dawson playing more than Derrick, but that's the only thing I would flip. At first glance I thought Juan's minutes where pretty high, then I remembered how thin our front court is.

Celtic Truth

• Starter
  • THE TRUTH
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 10:12:28 PM »
I think Derrick will play at least 20 minutes. I suspect no one will average 30 minutes a game. There is no way Burton will, if he does not learn how not to foul. Dawson will play more than 5 minutes. 20 minutes seems high for JJJ. JJJ will be fighting for minutes at the three as Mayo, Carlino and Duane Wilson will take almost all the minutes at the two. Despite the fact he is our 2nd biggest player, I am not sure how many minutes Steve Taylor Jr will get. I not sure how he fits in, if Wojo wants to press. Taylor last year showed that he could rebound, but he often got out of position on defense and missed several bunnies on offense. I am hoping for a big step up from him, but to assume he averages anywhere close to 30 minutes a game is a big leap in faith for me. I think he gets minutes similar to what Otule got last year, especially after Fischer is eligible.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Derrick plays 20 mpg this year. But I personally wouldn't play him that much. I think jjj gets a lot of time at SF because there is less competition there. I don't see us playing lineups with 3 small guards at a time( mayo, Carlino, Du, DWill, Dawson) are all 6'3 or less. JJJ ads more size at 6'5 or 6'6. And Steve will get all the minutes he can handle by default. He's our OT true big man without Luke. When Luke returns however he will cut into Steve's minutes

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 11:24:43 PM »
Proven scorers who are not efficient don't help anybody, they just piss off their teammates who see them (correctly) as selfish.  Carlino's minutes - as a result - will be in proportion to how well he listens to Wojo.  Listening to his HC will be a new skill for Carlino to master.

C:  STJ (30)- until Luke comes back, STJ  needs to play all the mins he can handle, I hope he's healthy and ready, and playing with a chip on his shoulder after being dicked around last year by Brent

« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 11:26:31 PM by LittleMurs »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Celtic Truth

• Starter
  • THE TRUTH
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 11:31:55 PM »
Proven scorers who are not efficient don't help anybody, they just piss off their teammates who see them (correctly) as selfish.  Carlino's minutes - as a result - will be in proportion to how well he listens to Wojo.  Listening to his HC will be a new skill for Carlino to master.

I agree. Both Carlino and Mayo are going to have to score a decent amount of points for us but do it in an efficient manner. They can't turn in to ball hogs, but I think Wojo can handle this well, I don't see it turning into a problem

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2014, 12:24:49 AM »
Like most MU fans and people on this board, I'm definitely excited to see Duane Wilson.  But expecting an immediate impact from him on a consistent basis is not realistic I don't think.  He hasn't played a minute of college ball yet.  He's coming off a redshirt season due to injury.  Sure he's been practicing and working out with the guys, but game speed is a whole other level that he's going to have to shake some rust off early on. 

I think he'll has some moments and flashes of what he's been billed to be, but I just don't see 20 minutes per game or consistent play out of him, especially early in the season.

Plus our backcourt is loaded with competition and a pretty good amount of experience.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2014, 12:26:59 AM »
I more or less agree with the OP. The only thing I would change is Luke Fischer's minutes. It is very rare for teams to play centers for 30 minutes a game. A combination of foul trouble and low stamina. I think his minutes will be closer to 20 than 30. But he is our only true center, if he can actively produce for thirty minutes, he could get the time.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2014, 12:33:22 AM »
Luke Fischer's  low stamina.

Did you speak with his girlfriend?

Death on call

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2014, 02:18:13 AM »
Won't Otule get a few minutes per game?

I can't imagine a season without him!
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2014, 06:43:11 AM »
I agree. Both Carlino and Mayo are going to have to score a decent amount of points for us but do it in an efficient manner. They can't turn in to ball hogs, but I think Wojo can handle this well, I don't see it turning into a problem
Sorry to burst you bubble--but mayo already is a ball hog. If Wojo rolls with him for 30 plus minutes a game, he will average about 14 ppg with 4 TO's and others not seeing the ball.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2014, 08:15:01 AM »
Sorry to burst you bubble--but mayo already is a ball hog. If Wojo rolls with him for 30 plus minutes a game, he will average about 14 ppg with 4 TO's and others not seeing the ball.

I agree, I don't see 30 mpg for him, but for a little bit different reasons.  I really think Mayo is not as selfish as he used to be offensively and his shot selection has improved with it.   I think his carelessness with the ball and crappy defense are the things that will get Wojo and staff's attention.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2014, 09:00:21 AM »
Mayo and Burton both should get 30 minutes per game - without question the two best players on the team.

That leaves 140 minutes for the other guys, and we'll be playing 3 guard ball all year long.

See the combination of Steve, Juan and Luke fighting for 50 minutes per game (the 10 Burton doesn't play, and 40 minutes of needing a "big" paired with Burton and 3 guards.)

That leaves 90 minutes that Carlino, Dawson, Duane, JJJ and Derrick fight for...and I see that breaking as follows:

Carlino 27
JJJ 20
Dawson 20
Duane 15
Derrick 8

Cohen - DNP
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2014, 09:32:34 AM »
Derrick Wilson averaged 13.1 minutes per game as a sophomore. There is no way he is playing less than that.

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2014, 10:12:32 AM »
Derrick Wilson averaged 13.1 minutes per game as a sophomore. There is no way he is playing less than that.

That was when he played for a coach who thought he was an elite game changer.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2014, 10:25:52 AM »
Derrick will play more depending on the offense of the team.  If the team can not score like at times last year, he will be on the bench.  Wojo talks D but at Duke they played a lot of O, lots
of slashing to the hoop, pick and roll or shot the 3.  Most of which Derrick can not do.  I see Derrick in the 20 minute range, tops.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2014, 10:26:54 AM »
Mayo and Burton both should get 30 minutes per game - without question the two best players on the team.

Mayo may average 30 minutes a game but Burton will not.  I think his max is about 25 both from a stamina/effectiveness standpoint as well as foul trouble.  And Burton may be closer to 20 than 25.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2014, 10:39:42 AM »
I think the OP is pretty accurate at this point.  It's just so hard to figure out because you have a new guy, with a new system, and a bunch of unproven players.  I have no idea how good Duane Wilson is going to be.  Same with JJJ. 

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2014, 11:39:07 AM »

Well much as he had Cadougan ahead of him as a sophomore - he now in all likelihood has Carlino in front of him...and it is highly likely Dawson and Duane will make decent jumps in their skill level and college ball -readiness, as they are now in Year 2 of their development at MU.  Most college players make their biggest improvement between their freshman and sophomore years..assuming they enter college at the typical 18 years old.  Furthermore, Duane and Dawson are the future at PG for MU so unless Derrick is clearly better than those two this year...it doesn't make a ton of sense for Wojo to invest minutes in Derrick..as it would Duane and Dawson.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2014, 11:42:53 AM »
Mayo may average 30 minutes a game but Burton will not.  I think his max is about 25 both from a stamina/effectiveness standpoint as well as foul trouble.  And Burton may be closer to 20 than 25.

Hopefully his conditioning will have improved to where he's good for 30 minutes per game - I do agree there were times he got winded last year in the games he got longer stretches of PT.  The foul trouble...I think he'll be able to improve in that area being a year more experienced in the college game.  Some of his fouls were just silly too...hopefully he can eliminate those.  The guy is an absolute talent - and needs to be on the floor as much as his conditioning and staying out of foul trouble allow.

In my view Burton is the best prospect at MU since Wade..at least as far as at the college ability level - his ability to single handedly take over a game if/as needed.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2014, 12:28:18 PM »
Carlino will have to earn his minutes by showing he is not a ball hog and fitting in with the rest of the team. It would be a huge mistake to let him come here with no history on this team and get max minutes. Early on I would give Duane more minutes to show us what he has and gradually work Carlino up as he proves himself as well. As for Derrick , start out in defensive situations where he can have a positive result and build from there. Dawson needs to make the most of the opportunities he gets .

Burton has the most game changing talent and needs to be on the floor as much as possible. Todd needs to be in the game on a consistent basis. I think when he is in the flow he makes better decisions. Those two should be giving us max production every game.

JJJ needs a role where he can get in the flow of the game as well. If they can find that role for him he could be a third threat for us. similar to the way Jamil was two seasons ago.

STJr, Juan and Luke is essentially minute sharing and depends in match ups. I think STJr has a lot of upside .

Cohen needs to make the most of his minutes against the cupcakes, work on his defense in the meantime and show he can be a factor as a college player.

My biggest concern is Carlino. I think he can screw up the chemistry of the team and program if not handled firmly.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2014, 01:31:45 PM »
Carlino will have to earn his minutes by showing he is not a ball hog and fitting in with the rest of the team. It would be a huge mistake to let him come here with no history on this team and get max minutes. Early on I would give Duane more minutes to show us what he has and gradually work Carlino up as he proves himself as well.

Carlino has more experience and has accomplished more than any guy on the team at this level.  He's not only played on, but led NCAA teams and never averaged less than double digits scoring for a season.  I'm not saying he has the most raw talent on this year's roster, but to question whether he deserves "max minutes" is ridiculous.  We'll be counting on him heavily all season.  He didn't come here for his last season and Wojo didn't bring him aboard to be a spectator, or part-timer.  He is easily a 30+ mpg guy. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2014, 01:50:31 PM »
I don't think you guys are saying different things.  Everyone has to earn their minutes, but my guess is that everyone pretty much knows that Carlino is going to be given every opportunity to earn those minutes immediately.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2014, 03:00:24 PM »
What we do not know is who is going to benefit the most by Wojo's skill training. My gut feeling is that it is JJJ. However, Derrick could benefit greatly by being taught by coaches who were point guards. We also do not know, if old attitude problems are going to show up. Taylor and JJJ were going to transfer and Mayo was always in Buzz's doghouse. I always thought that minutes did not matter so much to Juan, but starting did and he almost transferred before last year and returned with the promise he did not have to play the four. Throw in Fischer, who bailed on Indiana at mid-season and you have 5 players that have red flags. A new coach gives them life, but in the long run you are not likely to keep all five players happy. It was Derrick that worked to keep the team together when we did not have a coach. Derrick is the team leader and Duane strikes me as one also. Dawson and Burton never gave me any indication that they had attitude problems. While talent matters, in the end the coach is going to play the players that have the right attitudes. Right now everyone has a clean slate, but someone is not going to start or play the position they want and we just do not know how they will react to it.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2014, 03:12:22 PM »
I don't think you guys are saying different things.  Everyone has to earn their minutes, but my guess is that everyone pretty much knows that Carlino is going to be given every opportunity to earn those minutes immediately.

This.

Even though they are completely different players, Carlino is similar in this regard to Lockett. Trent was going to have to play his way OUT of significant minutes. The job was his to lose.

At times early in the season, when many of us (including me, I admit) were calling for his minutes to be reduced, Buzz stuck by Lockett to very good results in the second half of the season. We now like to bash Buzz, but bringing in Lockett and then sticking with him through some early woes was excellent recruiting and excellent coaching.

I'm thinking Wojo will have a similarly long leash should Carlino struggle early, especially if Carlino is the same kind of good teammate Lockett was and helps the team by doing some "little" things as Lockett did.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson