Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU's 2016 Team Photo Under Coach Wojo....  (Read 15662 times)

The Sultan of Silly

• Scholarship Player
MU's 2016 Team Photo Under Coach Wojo....
« on: June 18, 2014, 08:17:26 PM »
Talk about a culture change and a much needed one for a program with 8 straight NCAA tournaments and 3 straight Sweet 16's, a high graduation rate and a bevy of NBA players.  

Too bad Larry Williams couldn't have weathered the storm as Coach Wojo would have been a perfect fit for his ego and his dream of having true student athletes that all carry a minimum 3.0 GPA to stay eligible on the team.  I'm confident this bunch will represent the school so well in their 2016 NIT birth.

Hopefully we can next entice a couple "sleepers" from Sheboygan with offers that just last week had coaches from Beloit College looking at them in case they didn't get Div I offers from UW-Stevens Point and Winona State.

Don't worry Coach Wojo about next year however with your roster of 8 top 100 players coming out of high school (Juan, Duane, Deonte, Fischer, Taylor Jr., JJJ, Carlino & Cohen).....the board already has it labeled as a rebuilding year so don't worry about wins and NCAA tournaments until you get your kind of player in place by 2016.  By then we'll get that NIT at large birth and our squeaky clean program will be the delight of the big donors who rather have have image over victories.  

« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 08:39:07 PM by The Sultan of Silly »

We R Final Four

• All American
Re: MU's 2016 Team Photo Under Coach Wojo....
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 08:20:47 PM »
UWSP and Winona State are D1 now? Wow--big changes this summer....I had no idea.

jt92

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 08:28:42 PM »
Uconn was so bad academically they lost one season and came back with a national championship. Marquette goes the other way to show the nation how much we care about academics.  But like the great mike Deane once indicated...there's nothing wrong with playing in the nit.

PVMagic

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 08:29:01 PM »
The sky is falling?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 09:31:53 PM »
wut?

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 09:54:02 PM »
Sultan writes like a troll.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2014, 10:21:22 PM »
Real Warriors don't whine.

Look guys, it is way, way, way too early to judge Coach Wojo. The people who do are ignorant. We have big expectations for next year, even though the national media does not. We know what we have coming back.

Be confident! We're going to be fine.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2014, 10:48:05 PM »
Anyone but Wojo and I would be nervous.  Wojo is a winner.  He's been a part of winning at the highest level.

Mike Deane (God Bless him!) wanted good kids who were easy to manage and would appreciate a great education.  He also hoped he could make a nice run every few years.  I gotta think Wojo sees that he's inherited a program with 8 of 9 years in the NCAAs, plus the annual financial investment, and knows what's expected.

The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2014, 11:52:55 PM »
I think we need to give Wojo at least 90 days before the surrender flag goes up.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2014, 02:00:57 AM »
I give Wojo the same benefit of the doubt I gave Buzz when he was hired.   I assume he has a plan.   I assume he knows what he is doing.   Insinuating the sky is falling before seeing the team on the floor is dumb.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2014, 02:21:38 AM »
Giving Wojo benefit of the doubt but must say some surprising offers of late. If he is going to recruit Badger type players he better know how to coach. The last guy lacked in coaching but recruited pretty well.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 02:28:49 AM by Goose »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2014, 02:28:30 AM »
The last guy coached his butt off, had one bad year, and left. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

UticaBusBarn

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2014, 03:14:59 AM »
The last guy coached his butt off, had one bad year, and left. 

It strikes me that Beauregard was not much of coach, in the technical sense, or otherwise.

His personality (insecure?) resulted in micro-mangement of games (line changes, for example). He was also a very conservative (rigid?) coach who insisted on a fixed style of rotating man to man defense. Brent let the offense work only the paint touch theory (no real plays, out of bounds, or otherwise) and eschewed the 3 point shot.

The other side of his compulsive micro-mangement style, lead to him being to being a great recruiter. The talent he brought to Marquette was obvious, as are the results of this talent.

In the end, probably reflecting his up-bringing, Brent's answer to everything was being "tuffer" than the other guy. This approached based on personal fortitude and aggressiveness, had its merits. However, my guess is that Brent's fixed ideas (my way is the only way), and because he liked to wear a chip on his shoulder, just wore out everyone around him. This, no doubt, included and number of players. (This may be the reason "damaged goods" Perlman was selected over Buzz at Auburn.)

The sad part is that Brent had a great pitch - a really believable pitch. Unfortunately, by making the jump the way he did, to the place he did, he impeached the credibility of his pitch and of him as a person. He became just another coach with a now trite angle.

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2014, 07:05:59 AM »
Trust Wojo.  A bevvy of top 100 recruits doesn't win you games.  MU has had plenty of those in recent years, such as Juan, that are role players at best.  Let Wojo put together a TEAM.
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2014, 07:54:15 AM »
I'm wondering where this is coming from. We offer one 2 star...who is the top rated player in wisconsin and Freeport Warrior (who has proven that he knows his stuff when it comes to the Wisconsin HS basketball scene) says has enough talent to be a top 100 player...and suddenly the sky is falling? The two Wojo offered before Hauser are both in the ESPN top 100. He has also visited a couple of 5 stars.

Or is it because Wojo is offering white players? In which case, why are you assuming they are good students?

Settle down folks, let's at least let Wojo coach a game before we start rushing to judgements
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2014, 08:17:53 AM »
Talk about a culture change and a much needed one for a program with 8 straight NCAA tournaments and 3 straight Sweet 16's, a high graduation rate and a bevy of NBA players.  

Too bad Larry Williams couldn't have weathered the storm as Coach Wojo would have been a perfect fit for his ego and his dream of having true student athletes that all carry a minimum 3.0 GPA to stay eligible on the team.  I'm confident this bunch will represent the school so well in their 2016 NIT birth.

Hopefully we can next entice a couple "sleepers" from Sheboygan with offers that just last week had coaches from Beloit College looking at them in case they didn't get Div I offers from UW-Stevens Point and Winona State.

Don't worry Coach Wojo about next year however with your roster of 8 top 100 players coming out of high school (Juan, Duane, Deonte, Fischer, Taylor Jr., JJJ, Carlino & Cohen).....the board already has it labeled as a rebuilding year so don't worry about wins and NCAA tournaments until you get your kind of player in place by 2016.  By then we'll get that NIT at large birth and our squeaky clean program will be the delight of the big donors who rather have have image over victories.  

Nothing like a racist post against white basketball players to stir up the summer doldrums.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2014, 08:23:14 AM »
respect the process

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2014, 09:02:35 AM »
Don't worry Coach Wojo about next year however with your roster of 8 top 100 players coming out of high school (Juan, Duane, Deonte, Fischer, Taylor Jr., JJJ, Carlino & Cohen).....the board already has it labeled as a rebuilding year so don't worry about wins and NCAA tournaments until you get your kind of player in place by 2016.  
This board has the 2014-2015 season labeled as a rebuilding year? I know I'm not on Scoop nearly as often over the summer, but I've seen zero to indicate that. In fact, from a personal standpoint, I'm pretty optimistic about next season.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2014, 09:39:40 AM »
This board has the 2014-2015 season labeled as a rebuilding year? I know I'm not on Scoop nearly as often over the summer, but I've seen zero to indicate that. In fact, from a personal standpoint, I'm pretty optimistic about next season.

There's a ton of talent but us being undersized and transitioning into a new system isn't going to be pretty.  I'm optimistic for a rebound but not a rebound to the NCAA tournament. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

source?

• All American
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2014, 09:57:57 AM »
Really? I know we are in the middle of summer, but are we really this bored? Come on people.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2014, 10:04:20 AM »
There's a ton of talent but us being undersized and transitioning into a new system isn't going to be pretty.  I'm optimistic for a rebound but not a rebound to the NCAA tournament. 

The fundamentals of the offense aren't that much different than Buzz's. They'll play 4 out a lot, run a lot of motion, but the emphasis will be on spacing rather than paint touches. Defensively, they'll need more work, especially when it comes to closing out. Hated the way Buzz taught defense, so I'm looking forward to (hopefully) better results.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2014, 10:24:42 AM »
Talk about a culture change and a much needed one for a program with 8 straight NCAA tournaments and 3 straight Sweet 16's, that didn't even make the NIT despite having NCAA caliber talent and was picked to win the BE.  

FIFY

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2014, 10:56:49 AM »
The fundamentals of the offense aren't that much different than Buzz's. They'll play 4 out a lot, run a lot of motion, but the emphasis will be on spacing rather than paint touches. Defensively, they'll need more work, especially when it comes to closing out. Hated the way Buzz taught defense, so I'm looking forward to (hopefully) better results.

While I'd like to agree with this, we haven't even seen his offense yet.  I mean we need to see if the players can really buy into it and everything.
Maigh Eo for Sam

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2014, 11:23:01 AM »
While I'd like to agree with this, we haven't even seen his offense yet.  I mean we need to see if the players can really buy into it and everything.

I'm going under the assumption it will be similar to what Duke runs. Which when run effectively spaces the floor, provides driving lanes, and ends up with a good amount of corner threes. I don't think you'll find a lot of guys who won't buy into that.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2014, 12:26:13 PM »

Right, we haven't seen it yet.

So what definitive evidence do you have to declare that the "transition into a new system isn't going to be pretty"?