Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Time for Wojo to look for a new job...  (Read 26068 times)

NotBuzzWilliams

• Starter
Re: Time for Wojo to look for a new job...
« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2014, 04:06:33 PM »
You have to see the value in the process before you see the value in the recognition. The process has to be the real currency of your life.  It's  one thing to have just enough  to meet your needs, but the real test comes when we get extra. We are tested in our need, but we are also tested in our greed.

The Process

• All American
« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2014, 04:33:40 PM »
I wonder... Would ESPN's ombudsman Respect the Process and check out his factually inaccurate claims about the contracts, even though it may be painful for ESPN to admit that the basketball schools got a better deal in the end?
Relax. Respect the Process.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #52 on: May 27, 2014, 05:34:07 PM »
Looking at the comments on ESPN's website, about the only fan base not pissed off is Minnesota. I'm glad to see the Marquette faithful calling this idiot out for his lack of journalistic ability.
There is not such a thing as journalistic ability. Especially at ESPN, or MSMedia.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #53 on: May 27, 2014, 05:43:43 PM »
If the MU job is so bad then why did coach K encourage Wojo to take the job?

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #54 on: May 27, 2014, 05:44:03 PM »
The irony is that it's not THAT hard to make a case that the MU job is "overrated" and due for some struggles.

MU isn't without it's issues if you dig. We all know what they are.

But, he picked on some weird, low hanging fruit, and generalized cliches, and just it didn't work.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #55 on: May 27, 2014, 06:19:06 PM »
Let's review Myron's 2014 NCAA Tournament BOLD Predictions:

1.Iowa State in the Final Four --   Sweet Sixteen   (0 for 1)

2.No Big Ten team in Dallas  --  UW-Madison in Final Four  (0 for 2)

3.Kansas won’t reach the Sweet 16 -- Stanford beats KU in Round of 32  (1 for 3)

4.Baylor-Arizona in the Elite Eight  -- BU loses to Madison  (1 for 4)

5.Cincy home early -- Harvard beats UC (2 for 5)

6.Connecticut loses to St Joe's  --  Uh, no   (2 for 6)

7.Undefeated Wichita State will be first 1-seed to go  -- WSU loses in Round of 32 (3 for 7)

8.North Dakota State advances  --  NDSU defeats OU (4 for 8)

9.Saint Joseph’s in the Sweet 16 -- Lost to UCONN in first game (4 for 9)

10.Florida will win the national championship … easily  --  Not so easy  (4 for 10)

Death on call

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #56 on: May 27, 2014, 07:13:25 PM »
If the MU job is so bad then why did coach K encourage Wojo to take the job?

K cooled on Wojo.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #57 on: May 27, 2014, 07:31:01 PM »

K cooled on Wojo.

That and it was easier to let him walk than dismiss him for a demonstrated inability to recruit.

Death on call

jakeec

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #58 on: May 27, 2014, 07:36:12 PM »
What a strange article.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #59 on: May 27, 2014, 08:01:23 PM »
Your/You're, their/there/they're, it's/its, our/are, etc. I'll never understand what's so difficult to grasp about these distinctions. It's third grade grammar.
I guess we're not all smart like you.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #60 on: May 27, 2014, 08:06:06 PM »
HAHA, Mark Miller left the first comment and systematically eviscerated everything Medcalf said about MU. Thank you.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #61 on: May 27, 2014, 08:18:22 PM »
I mean this sincerely...

I follow college buckets (not just MU) as much as the next guy. I'm pretty sure I've never heard of Medcalf up until today, and certainly had never read his work.

This article is just weird, in a terrible way. Starting off by saying "I grew up in Milwaukee" is supposed to (I think) build some sort of cred that it's okay for him to have an opinion on MU. Then to get the arena where MU plays wrong...huh? How long has MU played at the Bradley Center, at least 25 years, right? You cover hoops for ESPN (apparently) and you get that wrong? And that's supposed to be one of your final selling points? It's not even being lazy, it's so stupid, it's almost comical. The NCAA tourney is even played in Milwaukee, Bradley Center, where it even says "Marquette University" on the floor.

The Chicago kids comment...wtf? Ask Bruce Weber how well that worked out. Pointing that at Marquette, when DePaul/Northwestern can't sniff those kids, and the damn instate, Big 10 school, can't even get those Top 50 Chicago kids...what the hell is that?

So a school that spends almost as much as anyone on college hoops, has recent success in the tournament, produces NBA talent consistently, plays in an NBA market/arena, has paid it's head coach at/above market value for some time...this is one of the worst jobs in college basketball? Frank Haith just left Mizzou for Tulsa. Gimme an f'n break.

MURFC

• Team Captain
« Reply #62 on: May 27, 2014, 08:33:00 PM »
Send him a polite email (I mean it, be polite)

mmedcalf3030@gmail.com

I just sent him a polite email....that he SUCKS.  Kidding.  I did email him, but I was courteous.  What a hack job of an article. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #63 on: May 27, 2014, 09:46:21 PM »
When he says the university is wrestling with financial problems, can someone expand on this.  Is he referencing fund raising talk that has been going on the last year or so?

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #64 on: May 27, 2014, 10:19:34 PM »
When he says the university is wrestling with financial problems, can someone expand on this.  Is he referencing fund raising talk that has been going on the last year or so?

If he doesn't even know what arena we play in, I assume he just sort of pulled something out of his arse that would apply to literally any institution of higher education as every single school has to deal with budgetary pressures. He was reaching for something, anything...

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #65 on: May 27, 2014, 10:25:36 PM »
I mean this sincerely...

I follow college buckets (not just MU) as much as the next guy. I'm pretty sure I've never heard of Medcalf up until today, and certainly had never read his work.

This article is just weird, in a terrible way. Starting off by saying "I grew up in Milwaukee" is supposed to (I think) build some sort of cred that it's okay for him to have an opinion on MU. Then to get the arena where MU plays wrong...huh? How long has MU played at the Bradley Center, at least 25 years, right? You cover hoops for ESPN (apparently) and you get that wrong? And that's supposed to be one of your final selling points? It's not even being lazy, it's so stupid, it's almost comical. The NCAA tourney is even played in Milwaukee, Bradley Center, where it even says "Marquette University" on the floor.

The Chicago kids comment...wtf? Ask Bruce Weber how well that worked out. Pointing that at Marquette, when DePaul/Northwestern can't sniff those kids, and the damn instate, Big 10 school, can't even get those Top 50 Chicago kids...what the hell is that?

So a school that spends almost as much as anyone on college hoops, has recent success in the tournament, produces NBA talent consistently, plays in an NBA market/arena, has paid it's head coach at/above market value for some time...this is one of the worst jobs in college basketball? Frank Haith just left Mizzou for Tulsa. Gimme an f'n break.

Strange you haven't heard of him as he has come up on Scoop quite a bit for his consistent hate towards MU. In our elite 8 year he ranked us as #16 of the remaining Sweet 16 teams

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #66 on: May 27, 2014, 10:26:05 PM »

As far as I know, this is simply more inaccurate bullsh!t.  Marquette did lay off 25 people this fall and didn't fill 80 other open positions.  These were framed as a measure to help keep tuition down.  I believe they were all administrative positions.

I don't think Marquette has any more financial problems that any other institution of its size and type.
Have some patience, FFS.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #67 on: May 27, 2014, 10:31:14 PM »
As far as I know, this is simply more inaccurate bullsh!t.  Marquette did lay off 25 people this fall and didn't fill 80 other open positions.  These were framed as a measure to help keep tuition down.  I believe they were all administrative positions.

I don't think Marquette has any more financial problems that any other institution of its size and type.

Right, and if we do have more financial problems than other institutions of its size and type, I can guarantee you that the budget cuts will have 0 affect on the basketball program.  Donors/boosters fund the basketball program directly, nothing else, and that money is not going anywhere else.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #68 on: May 27, 2014, 10:45:06 PM »
I nominate this article for entry into the 2015 offseason meme tournament
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #69 on: May 27, 2014, 10:47:50 PM »

Paint Touches mentioned it too, which I found strange.  Thought Scoop would have been all over it and we would have heard more discussion.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #70 on: May 27, 2014, 10:55:28 PM »

Really was kind of a ridiculous statement, all Universities are undergoing financial problems.  MU does have an issue with a very small endowment and the previous administration did reportedly have issues raising funds, but I wouldn't single MU out based on that.

Honestly, this article says a lot about problems with media today.  A level of ineptitude of that extent would not be tolerated in most professions.  If I were to put something together that flawed and that incorrect, I would at best have my reputation ruined for my entire career, at worst lose my job and basically be out of my profession.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #71 on: May 27, 2014, 11:17:03 PM »
Honestly, this article says a lot about problems with media today.  A level of ineptitude of that extent would not be tolerated in most professions.  If I were to put something together that flawed and that incorrect, I would at best have my reputation ruined for my entire career, at worst lose my job and basically be out of my profession.

I don't see the problem. I am an accountant, for example, and make up numbers on my clients' tax returns on a regular basis. It's not like there is some mystical, all-knowing entity out there with a magical crystal ball ready to pounce on every little exaggeration that... hold on, IRS on line 2. I'll be right back.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #72 on: May 28, 2014, 12:03:55 AM »
What would be great if Wojo came out with a statement or a tweet saying something how great the Marquette jobs is.

That's all he's talked about since he took over at MU. But he came from some crummy team so what would be know about a strong basketball program?
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #73 on: May 28, 2014, 12:22:07 AM »
I know a lot of people dislike Duke because of they can be aloof, but in this case, that's not such a bad thing.

MU is a strong, established program. Everyone knows it, Wojo knows it. One writer tries to stir sh*t up to get some pageviews. No need for any statements, or PR, or anything else. MU is above responding to that garbage. I want our head coach to ignore it, and keep improving his team over the summer. And I know he'll do just that.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #74 on: May 28, 2014, 09:02:13 AM »
WRT Marquette's financial problems, my understanding is that there has been some sort of freeze (wages or hiring) and some additional employee benefit contributions.  Is this unusual for higher education?  No.  Is it severe?  Doubt it.  Is it worrisome?  Sure.

feedback