[Today at 04:43:17 AM]

President Lovell Passes Away by GoFastAndWin
[June 09, 2024, 10:48:53 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Uncle Rico
[June 09, 2024, 07:04:21 PM]

Arby's National Roast Beef Day Deal by oldwarrior81
[June 09, 2024, 05:24:39 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Time for Wojo to look for a new job...  (Read 26167 times)

LAZER

• All American
Re: Time for Wojo to look for a new job...
« Reply #75 on: May 28, 2014, 09:09:25 AM »

That's all he's talked about since he took over at MU. But he came from some crummy team so what would be know about a strong basketball program?

For Wojo to even mention this article would draw way more attention to it than it deserves.  I'm guessing most MU fans aren't even aware of it.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #76 on: May 28, 2014, 09:22:42 AM »
For Wojo to even mention this article would draw way more attention to it than it deserves.  I'm guessing most MU fans aren't even aware of it.

Exactly. It's just an uninformed tool using the Skip Bayless pageview tactic. I'm made I gave it a click.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #77 on: May 28, 2014, 09:35:29 AM »
WRT Marquette's financial problems, my understanding is that there has been some sort of freeze (wages or hiring) and some additional employee benefit contributions.  Is this unusual for higher education?  No.  Is it severe?  Doubt it.  Is it worrisome?  Sure.

This is actually a national trend. Many universities are doing it as a precaution. TAMU is currently under one.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #78 on: May 28, 2014, 09:37:23 AM »
Your/You're, their/there/they're, it's/its, our/are, etc. I'll never understand what's so difficult to grasp about these distinctions. It's third grade grammar.

That being said, if I ever see him in Milwaukee I'll surely tell MYRON to GTFO!!!!
I couldn't agree more with your statement about it being difficult to grasp the distinctions.  It makes me wonder how half of the Scoopers graduated from MU.  But Keefe's original statement of "There's some irony in this"?   Which other form of there/they're/their are you thinking he should have used?
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #79 on: May 28, 2014, 09:40:05 AM »
I couldn't agree more with your statement about it being difficult to grasp the distinctions.  It makes me wonder how half of the Scoopers graduated from MU.  But Keefe's original statement of "There's some irony in this"?   Which other form of there/they're/their are you thinking he should have used?

Keefe was commenting on the "Your not welcome back in Milwaukee" part of the post.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #80 on: May 28, 2014, 11:31:44 AM »

Keefe was commenting on the "Your not welcome back in Milwaukee" part of the post.

Correctamundo, King Friday

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #81 on: May 28, 2014, 11:34:15 AM »
I couldn't agree more with your statement about it being difficult to grasp the distinctions.  It makes me wonder how half of the Scoopers graduated from MU.  But Keefe's original statement of "There's some irony in this"?   Which other form of there/they're/their are you thinking he should have used?
There's a distinction to be made here between not grasping the differences and making a mistake that you would have caught if you reviewed your post. I suspect 90% of the time it's the latter. I know I've been guilty of it and it's just a matter of not wanting to take the time to review posts, especially longer ones. Heaven knows I have to tediously edit enough documents at work. Let me go "wild" on Scoop without repercussions.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #82 on: May 28, 2014, 11:42:34 AM »
There's a distinction to be made here between not grasping the differences and making a mistake that you would have caught if you reviewed your post. I suspect 90% of the time it's the latter. I know I've been guilty of it and it's just a matter of not wanting to take the time to review posts, especially longer ones. Heaven knows I have to tediously edit enough documents at work. Let me go "wild" on Scoop without repercussions.

I'mma call you out on it errtime, brah.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #83 on: May 28, 2014, 12:05:47 PM »
Did the Myron dude grow up on Jones Island?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #84 on: May 28, 2014, 01:43:37 PM »

OK.  Thought the comment was directed at Keefe, not about his comment.  Or, it could've been about Bleauteaux's comment, "were is the irony?"
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

NotBuzzWilliams

• Starter
« Reply #85 on: May 28, 2014, 04:07:21 PM »
The mind is its own place, and in itself, can make a Heaven out of a Hell, a Hell out of a Heaven.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #86 on: May 28, 2014, 04:16:49 PM »
The mind is its own place, and in itself, can make a Heaven out of a Hell, a Hell out of a Heaven.

This is so true.

The mind of Buzz made the Marquette job what it was, and it ranged from the greatest job that would last a lifetime to one he couldn't tolerate.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #87 on: May 28, 2014, 05:39:00 PM »

"It's always about character"  -- Bert Williams, VPI

"The word of those who do not practice what they teach is like a lovely flower full of color but lacking in fragrance" -- Buddha

Death on call

Class71

• All American
« Reply #88 on: May 28, 2014, 07:36:35 PM »

"It's always about character"  -- Bert Williams, VPI

"The word of those who do not practice what they teach is like a lovely flower full of color but lacking in fragrance" -- Buddha

As said in, "Risky Business", " ...that was just Bull S.... Joel."
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

Logi4three

• Team Captain
« Reply #89 on: May 28, 2014, 10:38:53 PM »
Getting back to the point of this thread... I have a question for Chicos or anyone else with knowledge of how the whole network stuff works.  Since we signed with Fox I have denied myself from looking at anything espn and (as much as it has pained me) sought the information from foxsports.com.  My question is, is this self-flagellation worth anything, or nothing at all?  My thought was that most of the Big East would do the same, but I continually see posts here about what was said on espn and providing links to same.  I have no idea what other Big East schools are doing, but assume its very similar to our boards.  I assume generating the clicks and visits only helps espn and hurts Fox some how. Is that true or is it likely marginal?

P.S. Fox has got to make its website more user friendly.  The big board is a pain in the a$$ and the site always seems to take a while to load before you can scroll through content. 

breadtree

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #90 on: May 29, 2014, 01:07:31 PM »
Getting back to the point of this thread... I have a question for Chicos or anyone else with knowledge of how the whole network stuff works.  Since we signed with Fox I have denied myself from looking at anything espn and (as much as it has pained me) sought the information from foxsports.com.  My question is, is this self-flagellation worth anything, or nothing at all?  My thought was that most of the Big East would do the same, but I continually see posts here about what was said on espn and providing links to same.  I have no idea what other Big East schools are doing, but assume its very similar to our boards.  I assume generating the clicks and visits only helps espn and hurts Fox some how. Is that true or is it likely marginal?

P.S. Fox has got to make its website more user friendly.  The big board is a pain in the a$$ and the site always seems to take a while to load before you can scroll through content. 

So the chain of fractions probably looks something like:

Some tiny portion of ESPN's readership pulls from Fox's readership dollars.
Some infinitesimal portion of Fox's readership dollars is made up of clicks from Marquette fans.
Some tiny portion of Fox's readership dollars affects what they have available to devote to Big East Basketball.
Some portion of what Fox spends on Big East Basketball becomes revenues to the Big East
Some portion of what the Big East makes on their Fox deal becomes revenues for Marquette

So, my analysis leads me to determine that for every click that a Marquette fan gives an ESPN.com article, he is costing Marquette $0.000000001. 

In reality the amount that Marquette generates from its basketball deal is much more reliant on viewership of actual Big East basketball games.  You could watch 50 hours of ESPN a week and as long as 10s of millions of people are watching Big East basketball, the value of the deal will be high.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #91 on: May 29, 2014, 01:12:16 PM »
So the chain of fractions probably looks something like:

Some tiny portion of ESPN's readership pulls from Fox's readership dollars.
Some infinitesimal portion of Fox's readership dollars is made up of clicks from Marquette fans.
Some tiny portion of Fox's readership dollars affects what they have available to devote to Big East Basketball.
Some portion of what Fox spends on Big East Basketball becomes revenues to the Big East
Some portion of what the Big East makes on their Fox deal becomes revenues for Marquette

So, my analysis leads me to determine that for every click that a Marquette fan gives an ESPN.com article, he is costing Marquette $0.000000001. 

In reality the amount that Marquette generates from its basketball deal is much more reliant on viewership of actual Big East basketball games.  You could watch 50 hours of ESPN a week and as long as 10s of millions of people are watching Big East basketball, the value of the deal will be high.

A few million more clicks and I will be square with all of the money I've given them over the years

source?

• All American
« Reply #92 on: May 29, 2014, 04:41:39 PM »

If you don't have a Nielsen box, your viewing habits mean squat. Watch whatever you want. That info isn't useful to cable companies because, unlike a Nielsen box, it provides no information on who is watching (each Nielsen user has their own ID remote), age, gender, race, or even if anyone is watching at all vs the t.v. being left on by accident (Nielsen box requires you to push a button showing that you are still watching occasionally). So if you don't have a Nielsen box, and you'll know if you do, then watch whatever you want.

Website traffic is more easily tracked. If you don't click on ESPN and instead direct your business to Fox Sports, then you provide a small boost to FS.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #93 on: May 29, 2014, 05:44:28 PM »
"College programs are about the coaches...the NBA is about the players/owners".

Our program has seen its best peaks when we have had McGuire or others build the program to NCAA success.
In my time UW was a poor program in football (see John Cotta -lol) and Alvarez rebuilds it. Before Bo Ryan I never thought anyone would debate MU as the best BB program in WI.

Lost in the background is that these building/successful coaches do so on the backs of the better players they recruit. Sometimes its fair...TC and D Wade each did well for themselves...others times not so much.

Would this ESPN fool call the MU job/program as anything but good had Vander stayed? Here is an example where both the coach Buzz and Vander trends go south  in the same coincidence, to wit:

A Cautionary tale....had Vander stayed this year at MU (IMHO)he'd be coming out as a sure 1st to early 2nd rounder with an NBA guaranteed 2 year contract....instead of the tortured odyssey below.

Of Course, MU would also have had 2-4 more wins...they would have made the NCAA tourney, and Buzz Williams would likely still have left MU, but he could have bolted as a "hot" coach to a better program than VTech, for a pay raise...instead of a $5-600,000/yr pay cut.

Ironically, Vander leaving likely cost Buzz more $$ than Vander lost, by leaving early...in college its still about the coaches

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10922180/former-marquette-star-vander-blue-eight-teams-one-year-espn-magazine

NBA: Vander Blue played on 8 teams in one year
In ESPN The Magazine's Transactions Issue, Eli Saslow writes that Vander Blue left Marquette early to pursue his professional basketball dreams. He neve...   
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 05:48:43 PM by houwarrior »
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #94 on: June 04, 2014, 04:31:33 PM »
Looking at the comments on ESPN's website, about the only fan base not pissed off is Minnesota. I'm glad to see the Marquette faithful calling this idiot out for his lack of journalistic ability.

Actually, it looks like he pissed off the Minnesota fans too.

http://www.thedailygopher.com/2014/5/27/5756042/which-are-myron-medcalfs-bad-columns

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #95 on: June 04, 2014, 06:32:07 PM »
I'm going to take this point by point

I grew up in Milwaukee. Probably the only part of this that is true

Everyone in the area recognizes Marquette as a school with high academic standards and an occasionally impressive basketball program. 8 straight NCAA appearances, top 10 appearances all time

But the top local athletes would choose Wisconsin over Marquette in most situations. Wisconsin gets its fair share of recruits, but so does Marquette. Claiming Wisconsin gets "most" just isn't true, take a look at Travis Diener, Wes Matthews, Vander Blue, etc. etc.

The Chicago kids that a successful Marquette coach has to pursue have a multitude of options, too. Where? DePaul? Northwestern?

The city has a lot to offer but the area that surrounds the campus doesn't showcase the highs. Campus is a 10 minute walk from downtown Milwaukee and the NBA arena where MU plays

And the Golden Eagles are residents of a Big East that lacks the lucrative TV deal that the old Big East commanded. Marquette has much more lucrative TV deal in the NBE than the old BE

That's a problem for a Marquette team that spends significantly more per participant than any other Big East school. The Golden Eagles could use more cash. We generate more cash than 99% of NCAA Division 1 basketball programs

The private university is wrestling with financial problems. Since when?

And it's in the middle of a messy transitional period within its administrative ranks. Partially true, but the most important piece, University President, has been put into place

The new regime could create academic barriers that might affect Steve Wojciechowski's recruiting plans. Don't see any sign of that, this is a hypothetical that was pulled out of thin air

Add the fact that the Golden Eagles play in the old U.S. Cellular Arena, and it's easier to see why Marquette isn't the most appealing job in college basketball. MU plays in the Bradley Center

Don't want to validate this goo of a writer, but he's right about recruiting in Chicago. Those guys have interest from the big boys. But at the same time, we are in the market along with the big boys.

feedback