Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: who do you "slurp"?  (Read 26861 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: who do you "slurp"?
« Reply #50 on: May 22, 2014, 10:40:41 PM »
I really don't see how that's the case.

He replied to my original post sarcastically saying warriorchick was absent from the thread, saying that people should not talk with their mouths full.  I took that as him sarcastically explaining her silence, or absence from the thread.  Again, maybe I misread it.  If he did and he was referring to me, then well played, keefe.  I'm not one to get overly offended by sarcastic remarks.  I dish, so I better be able to take it as well.

To be completely honest, my original comment was more of a sarcastic jab at jsglow, as we all know those 2 are married.  The thread had previously been turned into a thread full of sexual innuendos, so I sarcastically turned it on the only known couple at MUScoop.  My bad if that was offensive.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 10:48:22 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #51 on: May 22, 2014, 10:54:38 PM »
He replied to my original post sarcastically saying warriorchick was absent from the thread, saying that people should not talk with their mouths full.  I took that as him sarcastically explaining her silence, or absence from the thread.  Again, maybe I misread it.  If he did and he was referring to me, then well played, keefe.  I'm not one to get overly offended by sarcastic remarks.  I dish, so I better be able to take it as well.

To be completely honest, my original comment was more of a sarcastic jab at jsglow, as we all know those 2 are married.  The thread had previously been turned into a thread full of sexual innuendos, so I sarcastically turned it on the only known couple at MUScoop.  My bad if that was offensive.

I don't want MUScoop to be another board like donedeal's board, either.  Pushing the envelope keeps things interesting by risking the occasional crash and burn.  I've have a few of those posts, myself.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #52 on: May 22, 2014, 11:05:27 PM »
I really don't see how that's the case.

world

I was taking the piss out of you, man!

Death on call

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #53 on: May 22, 2014, 11:11:26 PM »
world

I was taking the piss out of you, man!

Haha well, that went right over my head.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #54 on: May 22, 2014, 11:21:37 PM »
Al McGuire

Dwyane Wade
(Strongly considered Maurice Lucas)
SS Marquette

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #55 on: May 22, 2014, 11:32:05 PM »
A defining moment in Marquette history was when Goose Brell cut down the net with a switch blade. You could not possibly make that up.

But the signature moment in the long, storied history was when Al McGuire refused to appear on Adolph Rupp's TV program before the NCAA Tournament on the sole basis of the older man's attitudes on race and social justice. There will never be another Al McGuire.

Death on call

DoggyDaddy

• Team Captain
  • We're Warriors son, not Beagles.
« Reply #56 on: May 23, 2014, 08:54:51 AM »
Runner up.
Six-foot three-inch Warrior rebound king Pat Smith tossing a basketball into Lake Michigan at Bradford Beach after DePaul coach Ray Meyer made a disrespectful comment involving the ocean and Pat's shooting touch.
Al made sure the local, as well as Chicago media covered the monumental event.     

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #57 on: May 23, 2014, 08:58:31 AM »

But the signature moment in the long, storied history was when Al McGuire refused to appear on Adolph Rupp's TV program before the NCAA Tournament on the sole basis of the older man's attitudes on race and social justice. There will never be another Al McGuire.

+1  Few men lived the ideals of our university better.  100 years ago Fr. McCabe admitted women before the Vatican gave him permission.  45 years ago, Al refused to bend for convenience sake knowing that all Warriors were men of character regardless of skin color.  In many ways it is his greatest legacy and a bit of an undertold story.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #58 on: May 23, 2014, 09:02:51 AM »
A defining moment in Marquette history was when Goose Brell cut down the net with a switch blade. You could not possibly make that up.

Gary was exhibit A for the kind of guy our previous administration (and some posters) don't want at MU. Al had the power to tell them to go F themselves. Buzz didn't.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #59 on: May 23, 2014, 09:06:46 AM »
Gary was exhibit A for the kind of guy our previous administration (and some posters) don't want at MU. Al had the power to tell them to go F themselves. Buzz didn't.

Key though is you have to have a person of character in that role to trust with that kind of power.  I fear people of character are currently fleeing roles within public life much to societies disadvantage.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #60 on: May 23, 2014, 09:21:13 AM »
Perfect, 82. No way our Willie would have fallen for the phony act of that slick New Yorker.
Sorry Lenny. His act was not phony. McGuire recognized his strengths and weaknesses, and made the best for MU when he was there, cared for his players, and used Raymonds to complement his weak areas. Sure he grandstanded on occasion, but it was to win. He had chances to leave but did not, and then when he saw his time was passing as the college landscape was quickly changing, he left for another career, not another team.
I would take that again in a heartbeat. But he was not a "slick New Yorker". You are confusing him with somebody else. He was ahead of his time and an original.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #61 on: May 23, 2014, 09:23:45 AM »
You slurp him now, but between 1964 and 1977 I'm sure you did more than your fair share of bitchin'.
No Lenny, I did no bitchin. The guy was one of a kind, and a great one. What you can be sure of Lenny is that he put MU at the elite of college basketball during his time there.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #62 on: May 23, 2014, 09:25:18 AM »
+1  Few men lived the ideals of our university better.  100 years ago Fr. McCabe admitted women before the Vatican gave him permission.  45 years ago, Al refused to bend for convenience sake knowing that all Warriors were men of character regardless of skin color.  In many ways it is his greatest legacy and a bit of an undertold story.

+100. Marquette climbed the ladder to becoming a first rate, high profile university on the backs of mostly poor, mostly black, often academically unprepared for college student athletes. Many of them were Jucos. Ironically, the elites here and in the administration think we're too good for those "types" now.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #63 on: May 23, 2014, 09:29:16 AM »
Key though is you have to have a person of character in that role to trust with that kind of power.  I fear people of character are currently fleeing roles within public life much to societies disadvantage.

No disagreement there.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #64 on: May 23, 2014, 09:42:36 AM »
No Lenny, I did no bitchin. The guy was one of a kind, and a great one. What you can be sure of Lenny is that he put MU at the elite of college basketball during his time there.

I'm just pulling your chain, Willie. We agree on Al. That said, given your penchant for negativity I can't believe didn't bitch plenty back in the day. The two technical against NC State in the National Championship game? The technical against Indiana in the regional final in 1976? Losing the final three home games in 77? Neary (a much worse player than Derrick Wilson) starting and playing more minutes than top 5 in the country recruit Bernard Toone (a much, much, much better player than John Dawson)? No complaints? You that big a slurper?

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #65 on: May 23, 2014, 10:14:37 AM »

You understand perfectly, glow. I didn't say in the history of Marquette basketball. I chose Marquette because of its Jesuit values which is not just accumulating knowledge but, rather, how one applies that education through ethical behavior. Marquette taught us that we are responsible not just for ourselves but also for our community and that the application of education must be guided by both moral conviction and spiritual insight.

There was a radical zeitgeist in America when Al refused to dignify Rupp's message of exclusion and hate. But while people in Madison were blowing up buildings to drive change in society Al demonstrated a more positive and meaningful way for transforming the American social and political landscape.

Death on call

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #66 on: May 23, 2014, 10:27:47 AM »
I slurp

Al McGuire
Doc Rivers
Dwyane Wade
Wesley Matthews
Jimmy Butler
Bob Wild SJ

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #67 on: May 23, 2014, 10:48:23 AM »
I slurp

Al McGuire
Doc Rivers
Dwyane Wade
Wesley Matthews
Jimmy Butler
Bob Wild SJ

+ Tony Smith.  A lot of great highlights at Marquette PLUS 10 years in the NBA.

I also met KO several times while I was there.  He was a genuinely nice guy.  Every 4th word was an f-bomb but with very creative usage.  Too bad he was so antsy... his "drive" left him in a totally different category than all of the above, but a quality guy nonetheless.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

MU82

• All American
« Reply #68 on: May 23, 2014, 10:58:27 AM »
The only person with Marquette connections I slurp is Mrs. MU82!

Oh, and TAMU's mom.

And warriorchick.

And, OK, get over here Chico's, you stud you!!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #69 on: May 23, 2014, 11:02:41 AM »
You understand perfectly, glow. I didn't say in the history of Marquette basketball. I chose Marquette because of its Jesuit values which is not just accumulating knowledge but, rather, how one applies that education through ethical behavior. Marquette taught us that we are responsible not just for ourselves but also for our community and that the application of education must be guided by both moral conviction and spiritual insight.

There was a radical zeitgeist in America when Al refused to dignify Rupp's message of exclusion and hate. But while people in Madison were blowing up buildings to drive change in society Al demonstrated a more positive and meaningful way for transforming the American social and political landscape.

Couldn't agree more.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #70 on: May 23, 2014, 11:14:17 AM »

But if you talk about destruction
Don't you know that you can count me out

But if you go carryin' pictures of Chairman Mao
You ain't gonna make it with anyone anyhow

We need more teachers like Al McGuire (or even John Lennon) and fewer ones like Bill Ayers and Bernadette Dohrn.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #71 on: May 23, 2014, 11:57:38 AM »

Oh, and TAMU's mom.

And warriorchick.

squirmy

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #72 on: May 23, 2014, 12:40:24 PM »

Oh, and TAMU's mom.

And warriorchick.

wades,

This is funny.

Your post, not so much.....

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #73 on: May 23, 2014, 01:30:50 PM »
Sorry Lenny. His act was not phony. McGuire recognized his strengths and weaknesses, and made the best for MU when he was there, cared for his players, and used Raymonds to complement his weak areas. Sure he grandstanded on occasion, but it was to win. He had chances to leave but did not, and then when he saw his time was passing as the college landscape was quickly changing, he left for another career, not another team.
I would take that again in a heartbeat. But he was not a "slick New Yorker". You are confusing him with somebody else. He was ahead of his time and an original.

This isn't accurate.

Al tried to jump to the Bucks. I don't blame him, but let's not pretend like that didn't happen.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #74 on: May 23, 2014, 02:01:47 PM »
Correct.   Al didn't think he was making enough money, agreed to coach the Bucks, but the MU prez did not allow him out of his contract.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.