Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Diener back @ MU?  (Read 46963 times)

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
Re: Diener back @ MU?
« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2014, 08:22:40 PM »
Travis would stay at Marquette as long as they will have him.

Careful, Doc. You don't want to get any of that stink on Diener. More horrific than the worst eye watering, knee buckling, stomach turning fart.

Death on call

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2014, 08:39:49 PM »
Travis needs to get back in town as he is the one player that escaped me in 2003 when getting the team's autographs it the MPLS Hilton.  Need his autograph.  I'll even let him sign right next to where Hank autographed the shirt.

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2014, 09:07:34 PM »
Most of the logic on this thread is just absurd. Diener was a good college player so he must be a good coach. durrrrr. Using this logic if Novak retired, MU should hire him because he had a longer and more successful NBA career. Wait, but if Wade retires, MU should hire him because he had a longer and more successful NBA career.

Wait, success as a player has no actual correlation with coaching ability.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #53 on: May 19, 2014, 09:23:54 PM »
Most of the logic on this thread is just absurd. Diener was a good college player so he must be a good coach. durrrrr. Using this logic if Novak retired, MU should hire him because he had a longer and more successful NBA career. Wait, but if Wade retires, MU should hire him because he had a longer and more successful NBA career.

Correct. But as a bench coach, player to former player chemistry can be powerful.
It's never a given, but it can be powerful.
SS Marquette

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #54 on: May 19, 2014, 09:25:52 PM »
Travis needs to get back in town as he is the one player that escaped me in 2003 when getting the team's autographs it the MPLS Hilton.  Need his autograph.  I'll even let him sign right next to where Hank autographed the shirt.

Crowne Plaza.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #55 on: May 19, 2014, 09:31:35 PM »

Nobody is suggesting he be brought in as the head coach or even as a lead assistant. A guy who excelled at the highest level of the game has a lot to offer along many dimensions. In any event, Wojo is the gate keeper and if he sees value he'll hire Diener. And frankly, there's not one Swinging Richard here who could argue otherwise. Unfortunately, regardless of what happens with this potentiality, people here will argue that someone is a bonehead and needs to be punished.

Death on call

brandx

« Reply #56 on: May 19, 2014, 09:54:36 PM »

He comes from a family of coaches; he played at MU; he is a student of the game; what more could you want for a 4th asst.?

You do realize that if no one hires coaches with no experience, eventually there will be no coaches.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #57 on: May 19, 2014, 09:56:17 PM »
I sure want Duane/John/Noskowiak being coached by two really good college PGs. There's no downside to Travis joining the support staff.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #58 on: May 19, 2014, 10:01:37 PM »
He comes from a family of coaches; he played at MU; he is a student of the game; what more could you want for a 4th asst.?

You do realize that if no one hires coaches with no experience, eventually there will be no coaches.

Not to mention he managed to run the bronzed beast's offense without issue....not many point guards can say that.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
Re: Diener back @ MU
« Reply #59 on: May 19, 2014, 10:07:42 PM »
well then you probably should call wiki and help them out

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Few

His wiki is accurate. What you wrote was not.

Mark Few spent 9 seasons as an assistant before he was promoted to HC.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #60 on: May 19, 2014, 10:12:19 PM »
If Diener wants to come back, hiring him for this job would be the single easiest decision Wojo will ever have to make as Marquette coach.

There is zero downside. Zero.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #61 on: May 19, 2014, 11:58:22 PM »

What you're overlooking is that he would be brought in to learn how to become a quality coach drawing on his playing experience and family connections. No one's suggesting handing him the keys to the castle right now.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #62 on: May 20, 2014, 06:43:54 AM »
I heard Calipari had lots of experience when he was hired as an assistant for the 1st time  ::)

Same with lots of other guys....whoops, make that every other guy. I think they all had experience before they started their 1st assistant coaching job.

But that isn't at all what I said.  Why let that get in the way though.

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #63 on: May 20, 2014, 08:35:07 AM »
I heard Calipari had lots of experience when he was hired as an assistant for the 1st time  ::)

But that isn't at all what I said.  Why let that get in the way though.

That Calipari guy was a mediocre college player at a small time program! He'll never be able to recruit/coach a big time level!

Most of the backwards logic continues. Hire a coach that will benefit the program. Don't just assume because he played at the same school it will some how catapult his ability to relate and coach. That narrative is boring and dumb.

A family of coaches! He must be a student of the game because his uncles coach high school basketball. Countless days dissecting tape, breaking down decades worth of players, teams, evolution of strategy. Books upon books upon books.

This is not an argument about his coaching experience (which is actually valid, but not the most important factor when hiring an assistant coach). This thread is full of long term speculation about Wojo and Diener climbing the MU coaching rank. Hiring old players simply based on their playing career is a bad idea. It almost never works and usually fails miserably. See NBA, NFL, NHL. Even playing at the real highest level doesn't translate to coaching or front office success. When will people understand that? Probably never.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #64 on: May 20, 2014, 09:39:15 AM »
I'm astounded anyone would have the slightest hesitation bringing Travis Diener back to the Marquette program. The guy has a lot to offer. Certainly more than any of us chuckleheads. Get him on-board now in any capacity.

+1 Really guys?  Not wanting 'The teenage assassin?'

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #65 on: May 20, 2014, 02:57:14 PM »
Do you think he would run tackling dummy drills in practice?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #66 on: May 20, 2014, 03:14:03 PM »
My only condition for Diener to be brought on board would be for him to bring tackling dummies back to the MU program. Teach these kids some toughness.

Do you think he would run tackling dummy drills in practice?

Real original, Bleuteaux.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #67 on: May 20, 2014, 03:21:30 PM »

C'mon world, in the smorgasbord of buffoonery that is Tanned Tommy the tackling dummy fiasco was not the most ludicrous but certainly one of the most harmful. Anyone who substitutes gimmicks for substance believes ketchup is a vegetable.

Death on call

GOO

• All American
« Reply #68 on: May 20, 2014, 03:28:47 PM »
C'mon world, in the smorgasbord of buffoonery that is Tanned Tommy the tackling dummy fiasco was not the most ludicrous but certainly one of the most harmful. Anyone who substitutes gimmicks for substance believes ketchup is a vegetable.

Well, all lawyers know that a tomato is a vegetable because the Supreme Court told us so.  And thus, ketchup is a vegetable derivative and counts as a vegetable.  And we know that potato's are also vegetables.   Man, why did I stop eating fries?

This is probably how Prince Fielder gained weight when he was a vegetarian for a year.

Big Daddy 84

• Team Captain
« Reply #69 on: May 20, 2014, 05:18:37 PM »
We want TD for a lot of reasons, but it would also just about assure that his cousin would come to MU in 4 years.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #70 on: May 20, 2014, 05:58:49 PM »

I guess that's what I get for not reading the rest of the thread before posting   :-[

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #71 on: May 20, 2014, 06:14:39 PM »
We want TD for a lot of reasons, but it would also just about assure that his cousin would come to MU in 4 years.

http://www.ny2lasports.com/player_details.aspx?playerid=3647

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #72 on: May 20, 2014, 06:21:36 PM »

Death on call

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #73 on: May 20, 2014, 06:27:23 PM »
I guess that's what I get for not reading the rest of the thread before posting   :-[

;)
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #74 on: May 20, 2014, 07:12:45 PM »
Well, all lawyers know that a tomato is a vegetable because the Supreme Court told us so.  And thus, ketchup is a vegetable derivative and counts as a vegetable.  And we know that potato's are also vegetables.   Man, why did I stop eating fries?

This is probably how Prince Fielder gained weight when he was a vegetarian for a year.

I don't believe in what courts say, I believe in what scientists say.

And science says tomatos are actually fruit, therefore I know that ketchup is really a fruit smoothie.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.