Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Diener back @ MU?  (Read 46962 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: Diener back @ MU
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2014, 02:02:55 PM »
I care what these assistants credentials are--This is not a who's who's, I want to win basketballs games NOW.
What did Carawell, Nelson and the guy Drake accomplish recruiting?  NOTHING!. Diener, who knows.
I hope they do well and I'm wrong. I what experience  recruiters.

So you don't care what their credentials are...but you care that they are experienced recruiters.

This makes no sense.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2014, 02:07:37 PM »

So you don't care what their credentials are...but you care that they are experienced recruiters.

This makes no sense.

I love lamp
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2014, 02:57:45 PM »
I look at a guy like Stevens who was about a decade ahead of the age/maturity curve, and I could see how Travis might be perceived as being about a decade behind.  That's not to say he couldn't be the right guy for the position in 3, 5, or 10 years, but even if he had several years of coaching experience under his belt, I don't think he'd pass the sniff test with the powers-that-be at MU today.

This is a program that is going to go to great lengths during the foreseeable future to avoid any bit of drama.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2014, 03:05:23 PM »
I would definitely welcome Diener.

Though, picturing the Baby-Faced Assassin with a scowl is definitely a chore and a half.
SS Marquette

ZiggysChestHair

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2014, 03:13:49 PM »
It is interesting with zero coaching experience today, some can already envision Travis Diener as Marquette's next basketball coach.

Yet at the same time, the board would have gone in total meltdown mode had Brian Wardle been named head coach after only 11 years of assistant/head coaching experience.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2014, 03:17:46 PM »
when Wojo leaves for Duke in 3-5 years/quote]

Not sure why this has any traction whatsoever. And I would wager that Wojo is far from the leading candidate to succeed K at this point. There are many strong horses in that field.

Keefe, your forgetting the Wojo National Title at MU within that 3 to 5 year time frame, as that will put him squarely at the top of Duke' list.  In all seriousness, that would be a great hire.  A guy with Diener's experience at a low level position would be great.  Another guy that knows how to play the game and has played it at all levels.  I don't know why Diener would pass up another year or two in Italy, but I suppose if he wants to start act two of his life in coaching, he better get going with act 2 now before he is too old.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2014, 03:18:41 PM »
It is interesting with zero coaching experience today, some can already envision Travis Diener as Marquette's next basketball coach.

Yet at the same time, the board would have gone in total meltdown mode had Brian Wardle been named head coach after only 11 years of assistant/head coaching experience.

This happens all the time on Scoop:

Unknown >>>>>>>> Known and not exactly spectacular.

Other uses:  Every freshman that comes to MU before they start playing.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2014, 03:53:53 PM »
Diener comes from a legendary dynasty of high school basketball coaches (dad and uncle both coach/coached at Fond du Lac and MPS schools).

I'd be thrilled to see him on the bench in some capacity. As others have said here, it would be a very low-risk hire.

Understood that this particular position cannot conduct offsite recruiting, but maybe down the line he can try to dominating the Wisco recruiting pipeline. You gotta believe he has tons of connections to coaches through his family and his own connections playing ball back in the early 2000s.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 03:57:34 PM by Bleuteaux »

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2014, 04:02:49 PM »

This happens all the time on Scoop:

Unknown >>>>>>>> Known and not exactly spectacular.

Other uses:  Every freshman that comes to MU before they start playing.

Ya, but I know (insert recruit) is going to be sweet right away!

He just needs minutes!

GOO

• All American
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2014, 04:12:16 PM »
I'd be pumped for this hire.  He bleeds MU blue.  He can relate to kids.  I'd bet if he wants it, he will be a fast riser in the coaching ranks.

Again, the only reason I can see him leaving what he currently has is to get his coaching career moving.  If he waits 2 or 3 more years, he will not have a shot at a big time head job until he is well into his 40's.  If he starts now, and things go well, he could have a shot before 40.  (I said a shot, so all the detractors hold off, I am saying have a shot at it).

I'd love to see him try to work up the ranks at MU.  If he can coach the kids on skills development, no reason he can't work his way up to an assistant in a couple of years and be more involved in recruiting.   

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2014, 04:43:15 PM »
check out mark few's bio. the guy played neither college nor nba ball, graduated in 1987 with a b.s. degree in phy ed, a couple of years of asst. coach at gonzaga then headcoach in 1990...the rest is history.  a very very good history so far.  why he is still at gonzaga, i haven't looked into yet.  maybe someone here knows how gonzaga has been able to keep him corralled.  but just a tidbit of info for those of you who are concerned about experience.  i understand it's a little bit of a crap shoot, but few's background certainly doesn't have college superstar written all over it
don't...don't don't don't don't

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2014, 04:49:38 PM »
check out mark few's bio. the guy played neither college nor nba ball, graduated in 1987 with a b.s. degree in phy ed, a couple of years of asst. coach at gonzaga then headcoach in 1990...the rest is history.  a very very good history so far. 

This isn't accurate.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2014, 05:12:32 PM »
maybe someone here knows how gonzaga has been able to keep him corralled. 

Simply put, Few and his family are settled comfortably in Spokane. They love the Inland Empire, are pillars in their community, and are extremely satisfied with their lifestyle. Gonzaga accommodates Few's wishes and needs and has given him what he needs to be successful without the attendant unrealistic expectations.

Death on call

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2014, 05:13:19 PM »
This isn't accurate.

well then you probably should call wiki and help them out

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Few

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2014, 05:36:13 PM »
Simply put, Few and his family are settled comfortably in Spokane. They love the Inland Empire, are pillars in their community, and are extremely satisfied with their lifestyle. Gonzaga accommodates Few's wishes and needs and has given him what he needs to be successful without the attendant unrealistic expectations.

makes sense to me.  i thought stevens was in the same situation at butler until the nba lured him away.  not saying this to disagree with you at all though, but i am surprised there aren't a few(no pun intended) more college coaches in that situation

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2014, 06:28:33 PM »
makes sense to me.  i thought stevens was in the same situation at butler until the nba lured him away.  not saying this to disagree with you at all though, but i am surprised there aren't a few(no pun intended) more college coaches in that situation

A bud of mine here in Bellevue played ball for the Zags and is rather active as a booster. He made some money slaving away at The Evil Empire of Redmond and has given a few shekels to support their athletic programs so has gotten to know Few. According to him, Few is extremely happy. Being set for life can be comforting.

Death on call

raul

• Starter
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2014, 06:35:04 PM »
Diener would be a great fit as a coach and then when needed could play on the floor on practice sessions. The two for one special.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2014, 06:40:44 PM »
Would love to see this happen. He would be great addition and brings a ton of real life experience. Plus his uncle is major connected to the best players in Milwaukee.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2014, 08:04:32 PM »
My only condition for Diener to be brought on board would be for him to bring tackling dummies back to the MU program. Teach these kids some toughness.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2014, 08:06:35 PM »
I'm astounded anyone would have the slightest hesitation bringing Travis Diener back to the Marquette program. The guy has a lot to offer. Certainly more than any of us chuckleheads. Get him on-board now in any capacity.

Death on call

brandx

« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2014, 08:13:14 PM »
A bud of mine here in Bellevue played ball for the Zags and is rather active as a booster. He made some money slaving away at The Evil Empire of Redmond and has given a few shekels to support their athletic programs so has gotten to know Few. According to him, Few is extremely happy. Being set for life can be comforting.

Some coaches actually mean it when they say they are happy and want to stay long term.

brandx

« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2014, 08:14:09 PM »
I'm astounded anyone would have the slightest hesitation bringing Travis Diener back to the Marquette program. The guy has a lot to offer. Certainly more than any of us chuckleheads. Get him on-board now in any capacity.

Absolutely agree. Would be great for MU.

brandx

« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2014, 08:18:09 PM »
No coaching experience.  No reason to hire someone with none.

I heard Calipari had lots of experience when he was hired as an assistant for the 1st time  ::)

Same with lots of other guys....whoops, make that every other guy. I think they all had experience before they started their 1st assistant coaching job.

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: Diener back @ MU?
« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2014, 08:19:49 PM »
Travis would stay at Marquette as long as they will have him.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2014, 08:21:10 PM »
If you can break into coaching at an elite program why bother with paying your dues at Precious Blood Middle School?

Maybe so you can coach a team whose mascot is the Pork Eating Crusader?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

feedback