Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: ESPN Insider? Big East final recruiting grades  (Read 13377 times)

nathanziarek

• All American
    • Late to the Party
ESPN Insider? Big East final recruiting grades
« on: May 13, 2014, 04:36:52 PM »
http://insider.espn.go.com/college-sports/recruiting/basketball/mens/story/_/id/10908062/big-east-basketball-recruiting-class-grades

The Big East might not be college basketball's pre-eminent power conference anymore, but many of its programs are still recruiting at a very high level. Here are the final class rankings for the conference's 10 schools.

Georgetown Hoyas

John Thompson III has a highly talented incoming freshman class, led by a trio of ESPN 100 forwards. Isaac Copeland is a versatile forward full of upside. He continued to climb the rankings throughout his high school career. His combination of athleticism, skill and basketball acumen will give him a chance to develop into a star for the Hoyas, and he won't be the only incoming freshman to make an immediate impact. Paul White is a skilled and cerebral forward who will be well-utilized within the team's Princeton-style offense. L.J. Peak is a scoring swingman who brings elements of power and athleticism to the lineup. Three-star point guard Tre Campbell rounds out the class and solidifies Georgetown's backcourt depth.
Marquette Basketball on Reddit: http://reddit.com/r/mubb

mu35577

• Scholarship Player
Re: ESPN Insider? Big East final recruiting grades
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 05:01:31 PM »
'Marquette: Steve Wojciechowski's first task upon arriving at Marquette was to recruit the team's returning players, which wasn't necessarily an easy task coming off both an underachieving season and the unexpected departure of former head coach Buzz Williams. While Wojciechowski succeeded in securing the return of a talented core, three of the four players who had signed with Marquette during the early signing period asked for, and received, their releases, with Ahmed Hill and Satchel Pierce both electing to follow Williams to Virginia Tech. That leaves this class incomplete. The lone holdover, ESPN 100 small forward Sandy Cohen, is still an important addition as a playmaking wing with good size on the perimeter. With multiple scholarships still left to use, Wojo is negotiating between three positions -- recruiting the little talent left available in the 2014 class, holding on to spots for potential transfers and starting early on the 2015 class.'
"Give 'em Hell, Al"

EnderWiggen

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 08:09:45 PM »
So, uh, what's our grade?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 08:30:25 PM »
No mention of Carlino. Sad.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 10:22:37 PM »
No mention of Carlino. Sad.

Considering we have an incumbent senior at the position who just logged 975 minutes as a Junior, not sure Carlino is relevant.  A 1 year rental is hardly a recruiting coup...especially when you have such an accomplished vet at the same position.

"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 10:55:09 PM »
Considering we have an incumbent senior at the position who just logged 975 minutes as a Junior, not sure Carlino is relevant.  A 1 year rental is hardly a recruiting coup...especially when you have such an accomplished vet at the same position.

Par for the course.  Clueless and classless.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2014, 03:27:48 AM »

Ners, this is why people have trouble taking you seriously. This is nothing more than a potshot at one of our players. If you would stick to the stats and tone down the "conform or die" talk than you would have people actually listening to you.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2014, 07:18:48 AM »
A one-trick pony.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2014, 07:34:22 AM »

Seriously?    Sad.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2014, 08:01:23 AM »

But what if Carlino could come in and become Aaron Craft?
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2014, 08:03:46 AM »

Glad to see that you're so bullish on Derrick. If you like I'll let you out of our bet for $475.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2014, 08:13:04 AM »
Par for the course.  Clueless and classless.
Ners, this is why people have trouble taking you seriously. This is nothing more than a potshot at one of our players. If you would stick to the stats and tone down the "conform or die" talk than you would have people actually listening to you.

Seriously?    Sad.   

Knew I could tweak you guys...but...do you not find it at all ironic that you guys try to espouse that Derrick wasn't the main and primary reason why the team was so bad last year....yet our new coach goes out and gets a 1-year rental at the same position with an incumbent senior with Derrick's experience? 

"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

hoyasincebirth

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2014, 08:19:30 AM »
The grade for Marquette was I for incomplete.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2014, 08:21:31 AM »
Knew I could tweak you guys...but...do you not find it at all ironic that you guys try to espouse that Derrick wasn't the main and primary reason why the team was so bad last year....yet our new coach goes out and gets a 1-year rental at the same position with an incumbent senior with Derrick's experience?  

"I was just kidding!!   Well, not really..."

Seriously dude, your inability to talk about anything else is ruining whatever reputation you built up on this board.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2014, 08:43:13 AM »
Ners, I dig you and your passion for MU hoops, but it is time to move on. Let's put this one to bed.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2014, 08:55:54 AM »

We had a guy last year (in your mind) who was ready to play 30 minutes a game in the Big East AS A FRESHMAN. The biggest leap in a college player's game is between his freshman and sophomore seasons. Yet the new coach still felt the need to go out and get a one year rental at his position. But...you don't find that at all ironic?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2014, 09:00:32 AM »
We had a guy last year (in your mind) who was ready to play 30 minutes a game in the Big East AS A FRESHMAN. The biggest leap in a college player's game is between his freshman and sophomore seasons.

Exactly.

That's why Ners fully expects Dawson to play 50 mpg this season!!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TJ

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2014, 09:23:15 AM »

Seriously dude, your inability to talk about anything else is ruining whatever reputation you built up on this board.
Ruining????  ?-(

More like Ruined.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2014, 09:59:26 AM »
Jesus Christ. More broken record from Ners. This board still infatuated w/DW. Solid. Will check back in a month/two.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2014, 11:13:28 AM »

Point taken. Everyone's in agreement at this point that we needed a point guard. It is time to move on. Can we do that?
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2014, 11:55:36 AM »

Derrick was one of the many reasons we were bad. The only position that we were good enough to compete with the big boys was the 5 with Oxtule. At the 1-4 we were overmatched by just about every quality team.

Here's the problem. Everyone here accepts that Derrick would be a better backup PG than starter, so we are all very happy Wojo got Carlino. There's a thread that has to do with MU's recruiting class, which Derrick obviously is not a part of but Carlino is. Somehow you find it necessary to take yet another dig at a 20 year old who works his ass off and does the best he can at what he is asked to do. It's absolutely classless of you. There was absolutely zero reason to bring that into this discussion. Ridiculous.

You and your superior basketball knowledge like to talk about shooting percentages, particularly free throw and three point shooting percentages, as the reason that Dawson is better than Derrick. If that's what makes a player worthy of playing time and determines who is better, how is Steve Novak unable to find the court? The guy shoots 90% at the free throw line and is the player that Tracy McGrady, someone who has seen plenty of high level basketball, has gone on record to say is the best shooter ever. Why can't he find the court? He shoots better than (just about, at least) everybody in the NBA, but he can't crack a 9 man rotation in Canada. It's weird. Crazy. The coach must not have a clue.

You and your high level of basketball experience also love to point to one single game (Georgetown) to show Dawson is better and deserved more time than Derrick. Dawson had a great game and I'm glad we beat them and that he contributed how he did. He also played AWFUL in the majority of his minutes throughout the entire rest of the year. Let's play your fun game. When Derrick Wilson was a freshman we went into the Kohl Center and ON THE DAY OF THE GAME Derrick was told he would be starting. Jordan Taylor was a preseason All American and Wisconsin rarely EVER loses at home (I need to give the backstory because I don't think you are intelligent enough to understand on your own). In that game Jordan Taylor scored 13 points (most of which came in the desperate late game run and 5 of them at the FT line) with 2 assists to 5 turnovers. Do you think a junior year Junior Cadougan would've limited Taylor to those numbers? If Taylor has his average game we probably lose that game. So despite the fact that Derrick rarely played that year, we MUST conclude that Derrick as a freshman was better than Junior was his junior year, because the one game Derrick saw major minutes he played better than Cadougan. There's logic for ya!

Can't wait to see you tell everyone how stupid these arguments are. And why can't I wait? Because I AGREE! These arguments couldn't possibly be anymore dumb! And they're the exact arguments you try to make for Dawson playing more than Derrick. Clueless.

Everyone here wants Dawson to succeed, but most are intelligent enough to realize that despite not being great, Derrick was the best option at PG last year. You somehow openly root against and bash a 20 year old who plays for the school you say to be a fan of just so you can have fun on a message board. Awesome life man. Keep up the quality work.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 12:00:30 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

tower912

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2014, 12:01:56 PM »

No, it is merely strengthening his reputation on this board.   His reputation is an obsessive one-note poster.  
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 12:07:04 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2014, 12:03:51 PM »

Ruining his reputation?  I see this as enhancing his reputation as the guy who perseverates on one topic ad nausem.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

humanlung

• Team Captain
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2014, 12:24:42 PM »
Ruining his reputation?  I see this as enhancing his reputation as the guy who perseverates on one topic ad nausem.

Perseverates?  Dude, this is a family board.  Tone it down.   :)

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2014, 12:25:25 PM »
We had a guy last year (in your mind) who was ready to play 30 minutes a game in the Big East AS A FRESHMAN. The biggest leap in a college player's game is between his freshman and sophomore seasons. Yet the new coach still felt the need to go out and get a one year rental at his position. But...you don't find that at all ironic?

I think bringing in Carlino speaks more towards how Wojo feels about Derrick, than it does about Dawson. If he felt comfortable with Derrick, why replace your senior leader who played over 30 min a game last year?

feedback