collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Another shooting on campus  (Read 49480 times)

bradley center bat

• All American
Re: Another shooting on campus
« Reply #225 on: May 13, 2014, 11:02:16 AM »
They need more than being locked up, you can fill in the blank.  >:(

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #226 on: May 13, 2014, 11:22:38 AM »
They need more than being locked up, you can fill in the blank.  >:(

I'm going to try to remain Christian but . . .

And prayers for the innocent kids they victimized.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #227 on: May 13, 2014, 11:36:53 AM »
Agreed. After reading that article these guys are some trouble makers and they need to be locked up.

What's really going to come back to burn the younger kid is that "apology" he filed in court the last time he was convicted.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #228 on: May 13, 2014, 11:46:23 AM »
let's hope a limp wristed judicial system gets some backbone. 

well, someone's ultimately getting back boned because of this

Death on call

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #229 on: May 13, 2014, 12:17:06 PM »
Well done.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #230 on: May 13, 2014, 07:09:15 PM »
For anyone who wants to send him a message or creep on the guy

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007938156313&fref=ts
Maigh Eo for Sam

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #231 on: May 14, 2014, 10:38:56 AM »
For anyone who wants to send him a message or creep on the guy

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007938156313&fref=ts

I don't do the Facebook thing, but I'm guessing that there's no relationship option for "Down Low in the Slammer"
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #232 on: May 14, 2014, 11:09:52 AM »
I don't do the Facebook thing, but I'm guessing that there's no relationship option for "Down Low in the Slammer"

Lol no unfortunately not. But it's funny that yesterday his profile was public and now it's not. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #233 on: May 14, 2014, 11:31:30 AM »
Lol no unfortunately not. But it's funny that yesterday his profile was public and now it's not. 

Must have lawyered up.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #234 on: May 27, 2014, 12:29:31 PM »
I'm aware what the Supreme Court of the United States of America has said.  Apparently they read it differently than many other "legal experts" in this country.

Don't like it, change the constitution....get a constitutional amendment going and convention a constitutional convention.

For the record, I don't belong to the NRA and never would.  That being said, I believe every American should have the right to arm themselves and defend their lives and property not only against others, but against a potentially tyrannical govt.  

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/27/opinion/nocera-right-to-bear-arms-means-this.html?hp&rref=opinion&_r=0

The Supreme Court isn't always right.  And what good would an amendment do if the court is just going to misinterpret it anyway?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 12:31:51 PM by GooooMarquette »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #235 on: May 27, 2014, 12:38:41 PM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/27/opinion/nocera-right-to-bear-arms-means-this.html?hp&rref=opinion&_r=0

The Supreme Court isn't always right.  And what good would an amendment do if the court is just going to misinterpret it anyway?

I agree with the sentiment that SCOTUS isn't always right, but in practical terms the buck stops with them whether we agree with the decisions or not.  If an amendment is passed, it will be ultimately up to SCOTUS and the lower courts to interpret as they do every other piece of the Constitution.

Thanks for the article....the interpretation of what the fathers "really meant" is always fun.  A lot of people think they have cornered the right answer on that as well.

Over the weekend here we had 7 people killed at UCSB by another nutjob.  He shot 3 people and then killed himself.  He also stabbed to death 3 people, but the stories have been about the shootings, not about the stabbings for the most part.  Lots of anti NRA stuff, ban guns, etc, which is interesting in this case due to the 3 slayings by the same guy but with a knife.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #236 on: May 27, 2014, 02:35:15 PM »
I He also stabbed to death 3 people, but the stories have been about the shootings, not about the stabbings for the most part. 

Has the NKA weighed in yet? They usually offer razor sharp insight into such matters.

This woman was the victim of a horrific attack by knife wielding little persons

Death on call

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #237 on: May 27, 2014, 02:52:20 PM »
Speaking of shootings. How about that psycho at UCSB. The fact that people are blaming the women who didn't sleep with him is disgusting and frankly horrifying.

Edit: missed CBBs comment but I still stand by how disgusted I am at the victim blaming.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 03:03:50 PM by chitownwarrior2011 »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #238 on: May 27, 2014, 03:02:23 PM »
Speaking of shootings. shootings and knife slayings.... How about that psycho at UCSB. The fact that people are blaming the women who didn't sleep with him is disgusting and frankly horrifying.

Edit missed CBBs comment but I still stand by how disgusted I am at the victim blaming.

FIFY

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #240 on: May 27, 2014, 04:14:31 PM »
Over the weekend here we had 7 people killed at UCSB by another nutjob.  He shot 3 people and then killed himself.  He also stabbed to death 3 people, but the stories have been about the shootings, not about the stabbings for the most part.  Lots of anti NRA stuff, ban guns, etc, which is interesting in this case due to the 3 slayings by the same guy but with a knife.

He shot twelve people and killed four with guns, including himself.

It's about the shootings because campus shootings are a thing that happen in America multiple times a year and campus knife attacks are not. That's not interesting at all. Honestly, it's not worth really getting upset about these things one way or the other unless one is personally affected by such an event. Nothing is going to change.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #241 on: May 27, 2014, 05:19:45 PM »
He shot twelve people and killed four with guns, including himself.

It's about the shootings because campus shootings are a thing that happen in America multiple times a year and campus knife attacks are not. That's not interesting at all. Honestly, it's not worth really getting upset about these things one way or the other unless one is personally affected by such an event. Nothing is going to change.

Since knife killings don't happen multiple times per year, seems it is rather newsworthy.  Just surprises me...he was 3 for 3 in the knife killings, 3 for 12 on the shooting. (1 for 1 offing himself) Those 3 dead by knife slaying are just as dead as those from the gunshots, but one would think their lives are somehow less worthy of discussion in the media the last few days.  Doesn't fit an agenda apparently.  Dead is dead, be it by knife, car, gun shots.  Nutcase was known to have problems

reinko

• All American
« Reply #242 on: May 27, 2014, 06:50:20 PM »
Since knife killings don't happen multiple times per year, seems it is rather newsworthy.  Just surprises me...he was 3 for 3 in the knife killings, 3 for 12 on the shooting. (1 for 1 offing himself) Those 3 dead by knife slaying are just as dead as those from the gunshots, but one would think their lives are somehow less worthy of discussion in the media the last few days.  Doesn't fit an agenda apparently.  Dead is dead, be it by knife, car, gun shots.  Nutcase was known to have problems

You are inventing a narrative that people actually think their deaths are less newsworthy,  you know you are.   

As for shooting versus stabbing deaths,  8600 are shot to death every year,  while a knife is used about 1700 (higher than I thought it would have been).   Plus,  all the horrific mass shootings in this country,  makes the rounds on the news cycles,  24/7, so yeah they will get more attention.   

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #243 on: May 27, 2014, 06:55:35 PM »
I have seen people killed by both gunfire and knife. Death by knife is far more sanguinary.

Death on call

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #244 on: May 27, 2014, 09:55:59 PM »
You are inventing a narrative that people actually think their deaths are less newsworthy,  you know you are.   

As for shooting versus stabbing deaths,  8600 are shot to death every year,  while a knife is used about 1700 (higher than I thought it would have been).   Plus,  all the horrific mass shootings in this country,  makes the rounds on the news cycles,  24/7, so yeah they will get more attention.   

With all due respect, no I'm not.  Driving home from work tonight, the talk was about the NRA and "senseless" gun deaths at UCSB.  Finally near the end of the program some guy called in and said "what about that half the victims were killed by stabbing".   The host, yes, that is tragic as well but we're trying to make a point here.

I had to chuckle for a minute.  Yes, we certainly understand the point the host was trying to make and it was confirmed with his comment at the end.  Certain deaths were more important to him because it provided ammunition (pun intended) for his agenda and argument.  Simple.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #245 on: May 27, 2014, 10:20:48 PM »
Has the NKA weighed in yet? They usually offer razor sharp insight into such matters.

This woman was the victim of a horrific attack by knife wielding little persons

Da fuq

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #247 on: May 28, 2014, 08:20:59 AM »

No one here is disputing that the three people killed by knife have less worthy deaths. However, as you yourself said, (mass) knife killings don't happen multiple times per year. Campus (or other mass) shootings do happen multiple times per year all over the country. That is context, not an agenda.

You are trying to obfuscate the broader issue of mass shootings with your concern trolling over the knife deaths.

I have a simple question. Do you think mass shootings are a problem in America, and why or why not?
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #248 on: May 28, 2014, 09:14:23 AM »
No one here is disputing that the three people killed by knife have less worthy deaths. However, as you yourself said, (mass) knife killings don't happen multiple times per year. Campus (or other mass) shootings do happen multiple times per year all over the country. That is context, not an agenda.

You are trying to obfuscate the broader issue of mass shootings with your concern trolling over the knife deaths.

I have a simple question. Do you think mass shootings are a problem in America, and why or why not?

They are a problem and will continue to be. Not because of Judd Apatow or Seth Rogen (how wacky is that NY Times film critic?) but because hard liners who want no restrictions on people having access to buying firearms and hard liners who want it to be virtually impossible to commit the mentally ill are winning the day. I understand their slippery slope arguments - the balance between protecting people's freedoms and restricting them for the common good can be tricky. But when will enough be enough and when will reasonable people of good will insist on problem solving rather than sloganeering? Who knows. Compromise is a dirty word these days.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #249 on: May 28, 2014, 09:39:56 AM »

So by the numbers here (which I am neither substantiating nor disputing) for every five homicides by firearm, there is one homicide by knife.  Yet I tend to agree with Chico's underlying  point that the media reports of homicide by firearm outnumber the media reports by knife by drastically more than 5:1.  If true, that's not context, that's subjective reporting.

Personally, I can't think of the last time I saw a stabbing death in the news.  Yet I wouldn't be surprised if the media averages one death report per day when it comes to guns.  Whether or not it happens by mass shooting is irrelevant.  An individual's death isn't rendered more or less important because of the numbers involved.

Although, I wouldn't call any of this an anti-gun or gun-control agenda... I think the media is just doing what it does so well: hyping and trumping up stories that drive the biggest ratings.  If knife fights drove more to hysterics than gun violence, every stabbing would be front page news.

feedback