[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Barney's home for sale.  (Read 70845 times)

TheBurrEffect

• Starter
Re: Barney's home for sale.
« Reply #150 on: May 01, 2014, 01:34:18 AM »
Or maybe he made a panic room due to the chance that some crazed fan would like to kill him over a game he lost? I mean hate the guy all you want, but the panic room does serve a purpose for someone who had his level of profile.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #151 on: May 01, 2014, 02:19:31 AM »
Or maybe he made a panic room due to the chance that some crazed fan would like to kill him over a game he lost? I mean hate the guy all you want, but the panic room does serve a purpose for someone who had his level of profile.

I am thinking panic rooms are to prevent financially-motivated crimes rather than acts of passion. Seattle has 8 billionaires and 5 of them live here in Bellevue. I met with friends this evening and I mentioned "Panic Rooms" and people just laughed.

We meet for coffee at a Top Pot and routinely see Balmer and Gabe Newell stop in there with nary a bodyguard in sight. Now, if Steve Balmer can walk around Bellevue alone with $18B in his wallet I think Bert Williams might be just a little paranoid.

Death on call

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #152 on: May 01, 2014, 06:53:14 AM »
People have it all wrong about the type of room the panic room is.  I have it on good authority that it was added after the non-conference portion of the season last year to give Buzz somewhere to go after watching game film in the home theater.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #153 on: May 01, 2014, 12:38:56 PM »
I donate 100% of my USAF medical pension and all my annual income from every other source to charity. I drive a 7 year old Toyota that our research team has converted from gasoline to a hybrid hydrogen-Compressed Natural Gas ICE that averages more than 85 miles per GGE with 90% fewer total HCE.

I have no debt so I am able to live on less than $750 a month. If REI doesn't sell it I don't wear it. I eat more veg protein since it is far more efficient than producing animal protein.

Life is about choices. Bert Williams does not need to house his family of 6 in 13,000 sf. It is not about safety, security, or survival; it is about hubris.

And making a contribution to a charity does not offset a profoundly bad decision. Waste is waste. There is no correlation between outrageous consumption and charity. You either understand that or you don't.

Matthew 6:2-4
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #154 on: May 01, 2014, 02:37:29 PM »

Someone asked me a question and I answered it. It is that simple.

Death on call

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #155 on: May 01, 2014, 02:49:20 PM »

I just need to figure out how to fly to Tibet and rub elbows with Microsoft millionaires for less that $750 a month - must be doing something wrong.

Glad their lives are perfect to be able to criticize others...

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #156 on: May 01, 2014, 02:50:58 PM »

I just need to figure out how to fly to Tibet and rub elbows with Microsoft millionaires for less that $750 a month - must be doing something wrong.

Glad their lives are perfect to be able to criticize others...

I'm pretty sure that keefe means just normal months with basic expenses.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #157 on: May 01, 2014, 04:31:30 PM »
If he's compensating for anything it's probably never being home.  Harder to have your wife complain if you give her a 13,000 SF "city" to live in.

I'm just jealous of those Ozaukee County property taxes.  I guess the 'Quon has some advantages.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #158 on: May 02, 2014, 01:05:12 AM »
If he's compensating for anything it's probably never being home.  Harder to have your wife complain if you give her a 13,000 SF "city" to live in.

I'm just jealous of those Ozaukee County property taxes.  I guess the 'Quon has some advantages.

Did Marotta get divorced? Not that I know him but someone here mentioned that. Pity if he is living in that palace alone.

Death on call

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #159 on: May 02, 2014, 12:24:36 PM »
These days, it's a rarity for any home belonging to a high-profile or wealthy individual to not have some sort of "panic room" or, more commonly, a "safe zone".  (Nobody "builds" a panic room any more, those are retrofit jobs -- if you build something, you build a wing or floor of safe rooms).  You can't put up 10' walls and gates in Mequon like you can in Malibu... and the type of persons who would ever perpetrate such a crime aren't walking the streets of Mequon, they have nice vehicles that wouldn't command a second look anywhere in Ozaukee County.

Part of it is deterrent, part of it is safety.  Sure it's comical to us, especially since the Quon seems like the safest city in Wisconsin, but the reality is that there are a lot of whackjobs out there - people whose intentions we cannot even fathom - and they're not looking for anyone in particular, just an easy target.  One of the first thing lottery officials ask when someone walks into their office with a winning jackpot ticket is "do you have any children, and where are they right now?"

Buzz Williams is a known multi-millionaire and a national figure.  Add in the fact that him having several young children was no secret, and the truly "nutty" thing for him would be to not have a panic room.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #160 on: May 02, 2014, 12:50:23 PM »
13,000 SF. 22 rooms. Noveau riche. Irresponsible. Embarassing. A lot of compensation going on there. In no way surprising.

Agreed. Easy come easy go when the gravey train ends. The real Buzzard values. I know people with considerably more income than his that do not flaunt it. Character revealed.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #161 on: May 02, 2014, 01:32:33 PM »
These days, it's a rarity for any home belonging to a high-profile or wealthy individual to not have some sort of "panic room" or, more commonly, a "safe zone".  (Nobody "builds" a panic room any more, those are retrofit jobs -- if you build something, you build a wing or floor of safe rooms).  You can't put up 10' walls and gates in Mequon like you can in Malibu... and the type of persons who would ever perpetrate such a crime aren't walking the streets of Mequon, they have nice vehicles that wouldn't command a second look anywhere in Ozaukee County.

Part of it is deterrent, part of it is safety.  Sure it's comical to us, especially since the Quon seems like the safest city in Wisconsin, but the reality is that there are a lot of whackjobs out there - people whose intentions we cannot even fathom - and they're not looking for anyone in particular, just an easy target.  One of the first thing lottery officials ask when someone walks into their office with a winning jackpot ticket is "do you have any children, and where are they right now?"

Buzz Williams is a known multi-millionaire and a national figure.  Add in the fact that him having several young children was no secret, and the truly "nutty" thing for him would be to not have a panic room.

+1. Lots of crazies out there. Some of them don't even post here.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #162 on: May 02, 2014, 03:06:45 PM »
I wonder if Buzz had his Baptist pastor over for drinks at the bar.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #163 on: May 02, 2014, 03:23:01 PM »

I know his salary sounds like alot of money but after tax that house is a fairly high expense particularly when you realize he will likely not be coaching much longer. He should have invested much of it to protect his future income.

Safe rooms tend to be built for tornados or hurricanes in areas where they are common. I hate to break it to him but he just isn't that important or wealthy.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #164 on: May 02, 2014, 03:23:50 PM »

For someone that had a deranged view of the world and actually thought that possibility was high enough to build a panic room.  I mean, why not build a bunker outside in the back yard in the event of a nuclear strike.  It's possible it could happen.

Buzz is an odd duck, to put it mildly.  I use "odd duck" as a way of being nice.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #165 on: May 02, 2014, 03:38:45 PM »
I know his salary sounds like alot of money but after tax that house is a fairly high expense particularly when you realize he will likely not be coaching much longer. He should have invested much of it to protect his future income.

I live in an Arts & Crafts Bungalow in WFB so Buzz's house is basically the exact opposite of my tastes BUT, his house is being sold for his annual salary.  How many of us can say that?   And how do you know he won't be coaching for much longer?
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #166 on: May 02, 2014, 04:20:55 PM »
I live in an Arts & Crafts Bungalow in WFB so Buzz's house is basically the exact opposite of my tastes BUT, his house is being sold for his annual salary.  How many of us can say that?   And how do you know he won't be coaching for much longer?

This isn't about economics. Nor is it about taste. Rather, it is about responsibility.

Death on call

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #167 on: May 02, 2014, 05:26:25 PM »
This isn't about economics. Nor is it about taste. Rather, it is about responsibility.

And Buzz feels a responsibility as a father to provide every possible advantage and luxury for his children. I personally don't agree with it. My personal views align similarly to yours. I try to cut as much excess in my life as possible. But when godwilling I have children, I will want to give the luxuries I don't allow for myself.

My father grew up in Pontiac, MI. As a Wolverine you will understand what growing up in Pontiac is like. He worked his ass off, paid his own way through Marquette, and has had a career that allows him a comfortable lifestyle. He spends very little on his own needs but spent money on my siblings and I. We took vacations, went to private school, and when the time came, he helped me pay for my own Marquette tuition. When I was old enough to understand the advantages I was being given, I protested, saying I should earn it on my own. My dad told me that his father was unable to give these things to him and my dad knew that it killed my grandfather that he couldn't. He wanted to be able to do this for me and my siblings.

While I agree that the Williams' house is excessive, I understand the want/need to provide the very best for our loved ones. Whether or not that is irresponsible or hypocritical to his faith, well, I'll leave that between him and God. We are all hypocrites. Every gosh darn one of us.
TAMU

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #168 on: May 02, 2014, 05:50:43 PM »
And Buzz feels a responsibility as a father to provide every possible advantage and luxury for his children.

There is no doubt parents must provide for their children. I guess the question is do you give material possessions or impart values?

Death on call

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #169 on: May 02, 2014, 06:01:47 PM »
Agreed. Easy come easy go when the gravey train ends. The real Buzzard values. I know people with considerably more income than his that do not flaunt it. Character revealed.

By flaunting it you mean having creepy basketball fans find it on the internet and  post it for everyone to see.

Also don't get the comment about the house being to expensive for his salary. He could easily have paid it off already for all we know. I plan on moving into a house many times my annual salary so I don't see the big deal. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #170 on: May 02, 2014, 06:49:30 PM »
There is no doubt parents must provide for their children. I guess the question is do you give material possessions or impart values?

You must impart values.

You have the option to give material possessions. And I would argue that many fathers have the drive and desire to provide these.

There is a way to give one without compromising the other. Does Buzz do this? I have no idea.
TAMU

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #171 on: May 02, 2014, 10:44:34 PM »
You must impart values.

You have the option to give material possessions. And I would argue that many fathers have the drive and desire to provide these.

There is a way to give one without compromising the other. Does Buzz do this? I have no idea.

Can't impart values when your child is being held for ransom, now can you?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #172 on: May 03, 2014, 01:20:15 AM »
Can't impart values when your child is being held for ransom, now can you?

I honestly have no idea what the link here is, lol
TAMU

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #173 on: May 03, 2014, 01:45:20 AM »
I honestly have no idea what the link here is, lol

He is suggesting that imparting values loses meaning with the lavishing of material "luxuries." His use of the term 'ransom' for the case you cite is rather apt. Frankly, he is spot on correct.

People in the developed world, and the US in particular, can be very mercenary about acquiring possessions. Things are not inherently bad but crass materialism has become vulgar. The real question is what are we devaluing by placing so much importance on material wealth?

I should think that a Jesuit education would have demanded a certain amount of reflection on this.

Death on call

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #174 on: May 03, 2014, 04:10:30 PM »
For any of y'all in the area, you might wanna cruise on by Bumstead's digs. Really a pretty nice pad on about a 5 acre parcel. The entire subdivision has a Western/Texas motif to it. Nice bb hoop in the back with MU pad on the support post. I know his real estate broker so I'd say its probably priced fairly and to sell. These digs fit in nicely in his hood. Ya know you've made it in life, when ya can afford a crib like this.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"