[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: This board is toxic  (Read 15858 times)

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
Re: This board is toxic
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2014, 04:37:37 PM »
True.  Too many comments are too long and too negative.  A few years ago someone posted a report on how the Marquette recruits were doing statistically game by game.  With the great recruiting class, it would love to follow that report now.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2014, 06:05:48 PM »
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

mattyv1908

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2014, 06:56:06 PM »

A. I completely agree that comments on players shouldn't be tempered by who may or may not be reading this board. However, the sense of entitlement that sone on this board have, to unabashedly throw one of their fellow alumni under the bus, is disgusting. These kids are, for the most part, future fellow Marquette graduates, giving their all for our university. They shouldn't be coddled and praised just for that fact, but they also shouldn't be subject to some of the absolutely worthless negative comments that are inspired by the anonymity of a message board screen name.

This board is tame compared to some others I frequent.  A couple of Cubs message boards are brutal.  And while these players may be students, college basketball is a product making quite a bit of money with big time TV deals and merchandise sales.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 07:00:20 PM by mattyv1908 »
Shut this board down at the opening tip.  If they win, open it back up.  If they lose, keep it shut it down until the next morning.  - Sultan of Slurpery

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2014, 08:25:06 PM »
2. It's an Internet fan board, not a "private institution." I agree I go onto my company's Web site and write that my boss sucks, I will not be protected by any right of free speech. This is not that.

And you can be banned here. Constitutional protections don't apply.

We should debate this point to death until it rivals the Derrick - Dawson debate. Nevermind, that's impossible. Plus Keefe already "won" the debate; the Constitution would apply to message boards if the framers had had the misfortune of frequenting Mader's for a meal.

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2014, 08:36:05 PM »
A message board is for people to share their opinion. Not everyone likes what they see all of the time and they should be free to voice their opinion. It's not called a "positive comments only" message board. Man, there's a lot of sensitive people on here.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2014, 08:46:42 PM »
People complaining about Scoop's toxicity dislike the board, but don't dislike it enough to leave (and stay gone). Hence, I don't see the purpose in saying "Scoop is toxic" "Scoop sucks" on the Scoop board.

My advice is to stop comparing Scoop to this idealized notion of an MU message board that even you don't think enough of to create. Scoop is the best MU message board relative to all others and this is the benchmark you should use when judging Scoop's quality.

brandx

« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2014, 08:48:23 PM »
This board is tame compared to some others I frequent.  A couple of Cubs message boards are brutal.  And while these players may be students, college basketball is a product making quite a bit of money with big time TV deals and merchandise sales.

Exactly. This board has always been better than most.

And with Ners and Chicos gone, it's one of the best.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2014, 09:01:56 PM »
Exactly. This board has always been better than most.

And with Ners and Chicos gone, it's one of the best.

They're banned? Or merely haven't posted in a while?

brandx

« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2014, 09:13:21 PM »
They're banned? Or merely haven't posted in a while?

Either way is a win.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2014, 09:19:49 PM »
And you can be banned here. Constitutional protections don't apply.

If I ever get banned, I somehow will find ways to fill the void in my life.

Also, if I ever get banned, I'm thinking that at least 100 others will have been banned first. I'm not exactly Mr. Incendiary.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2014, 09:48:07 PM »
On the other board, ya get banned for fartin' in your sleep, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2014, 10:00:23 PM »
People complaining about Scoop's toxicity dislike the board, but don't dislike it enough to leave (and stay gone). Hence, I don't see the purpose in saying "Scoop is toxic" "Scoop sucks" on the Scoop board.

My advice is to stop comparing Scoop to this idealized notion of an MU message board that even you don't think enough of to create. Scoop is the best MU message board relative to all others and this is the benchmark you should use when judging Scoop's quality.

I don't dislike the board. I dislike people complaining constantly about a short handed team with a new coach and players working their asses off to compete against teams that beat them on paper 9.5 of 10 times. This is a very likable team with an enormous future. Stop complaining. That Wisconsin game was a borderline heroic performance by our guys. We lost. They are better than we are. Get over it.

brandx

« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2014, 10:38:53 PM »
I don't dislike the board. I dislike people complaining constantly about a short handed team with a new coach and players working their asses off to compete against teams that beat them on paper 9.5 of 10 times. This is a very likable team with an enormous future. Stop complaining. That Wisconsin game was a borderline heroic performance by our guys. We lost. They are better than we are. Get over it.

Amen.

In reality, it's only a few guys that do that. I don't mind if they want to criticize the team or coach - it goes with the territory. But let 'em say their piece and move on to something else.

Like you, I am very happy with our guys so far. We all knew that with a new system and a short-handed team, it was going to be a work in progress. And we are absolutely seeing progress and growth in the team. That all we can ask for from players and coaches.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2014, 10:41:55 PM »
On the other board, ya get banned for fartin' in your sleep, aina?

I don't know about the other board but that usually resulted in a slap to the back which brought a quick end to my slumber...

Death on call

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2014, 10:43:28 PM »
"True loyalty is that quality of service that grows under adversity and expands in defeat. Any street urchin can shout applause in victory, but it takes character to stand fast in defeat. One is noise - the other, loyalty." - Fielding Yost
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

mattyv1908

• All American
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2014, 01:49:40 PM »

I'd be hard pressed to call anything sports related heroic, but certainly not losing by 11.  And was Nebraska-Omaha one of those teams that beat Marquette on paper 9.5 out of 10?

Getting on a message board and telling people to stop complaining is comical.  Nobody is forcing you to read anything you're not choosing to.
Shut this board down at the opening tip.  If they win, open it back up.  If they lose, keep it shut it down until the next morning.  - Sultan of Slurpery

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2014, 02:17:22 PM »
I'd be hard pressed to call anything sports related heroic, but certainly not losing by 11.  And was Nebraska-Omaha one of those teams that beat Marquette on paper 9.5 out of 10?

Getting on a message board and telling people to stop complaining is comical.  Nobody is forcing you to read anything you're not choosing to.
It's "comical" to point out that starting thread after thread attacking individual players is inappropriate, tiresome and affecting the tenor of this board?

mattyv1908

• All American
« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2014, 02:52:37 PM »
It's "comical" to point out that starting thread after thread attacking individual players is inappropriate, tiresome and affecting the tenor of this board?

You're well aware of what content 99.9% of Ners' posts are going to contain before even reading them.  I guess my question would be why even subject yourself to them if you obviously don't like them?

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2014, 07:50:49 PM »
ZFB and some posters pick this:
http://youtu.be/LOZuxwVk7TU

Others pick this:
http://youtu.be/VJkuYkyj2Wk

I prefer to get drunk on our tears.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2014, 08:08:20 PM »
"True loyalty is that quality of service that grows under adversity and expands in defeat. Any street urchin can shout applause in victory, but it takes character to stand fast in defeat. One is noise - the other, loyalty." - Fielding Yost

Go Blue!

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2014, 08:15:30 PM »
It's affecting the tenor of this board?

Pavarotti is a Scooper??

Death on call

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2014, 10:49:10 PM »
You're well aware of what content 99.9% of Ners' posts are going to contain before even reading them.  I guess my question would be why even subject yourself to them if you obviously don't like them?
I've blocked him and I don't read them. Unfortunately, a great number of threads have taken the same tone or addressed the issues he's brought up ad nauseum.

How is pointing out that an over bearing level of criticism of individual college students "comical?"

Debate this or frame it any way you'd like as long as you'd like, but you're wrong.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2014, 09:10:46 AM »
Some thoughts (if anybody cares):

#1 There are some posters who use this board to vent. They visit after losses and rant and rave with no particular insight or facts. I guess there is nothing wrong with that, but maybe those people could just label those types of posts as: VENTING. If I know somebody is just venting, then we don't have to create a crappy debate about (insert player).

#2 I try not to type anything I wouldn't say to somebody's face. In theory, what is written here is basically a billboard for everybody to see.

#3 I try not to carry grudges against posters, but I have to admit that it does happen sometimes.

#4 I fully admit that I don't know everything, and my viewpoint is limited. Some others would be well served to do the same.

feedback