[Today at 05:10:01 PM]

Lakers Going After Hurley by Hards Alumni
[Today at 05:06:39 PM]

Oso (and Stevie) by JakeBarnes
[Today at 02:42:16 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by MU82
[Today at 01:56:13 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Larry Williams landing place?  (Read 16520 times)

Gato78

• Team Captain
Re: Larry Williams landing place?
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2014, 03:06:40 PM »
Cottingham directed that strategic study because he was the Athletic Director at the time. Lacrosse was instituted because, in part, the club program was very popular and it was meant, in some respects, as a poison pill to separate us from DePaul and Seton Hall with an eye toward the shaky future of conferences. If someone was going to get kicked out of the BIG EAST Conference, it was less likely to be us. He knew what he was doing, it just broke in an unexpected way. No one thought Syracuse and Pitt would defect. At the time, it was more likely the Big 12 would implode and we would get Kansas and Kansas State.

I'm quite aware of it.  The strategic study started back in 2010....actually started prior to Cottingham back in the day and cycled through several administrations when determining what to do with Men's Wrestling, rifle, etc.  Studies were done on feasbility of women's softball, golf, etc.  I get why it was done, understand the strategic thinking behind it with the growth of the sport and trying to be an earlier adopter into the sport. 

Like questions of law, one lawyer sees something one way and another lawyer sees something quite the opposite, yet both claim they are right.

My concern is the cost benefit evaluation, exit strategy, etc.  The sports were also added with the old Big East in mind.  IMO

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2014, 03:35:56 PM »
Why do you say that? Are you really his friend? You understand who directed the player to talk to the woman, right?

I am painfully aware of more than I wish I knew about that whole situation.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Gato78

• Team Captain
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2014, 03:55:36 PM »
Feel free to PM me with the details.

I am painfully aware of more than I wish I knew about that whole situation.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2014, 04:01:32 PM »
Feel free to PM me with the details.

Me too if you're handing out info.

Warhawk Warrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2014, 04:04:52 PM »
Please add me too

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2014, 04:39:36 PM »
Larry Williams was the AD of a WCC school.  They know full well his background and his positives and negatives.  I think he would be fine in that role.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2014, 05:56:28 PM »
Larry Williams was the AD of a WCC school.  They know full well his background and his positives and negatives.  I think he would be fine in that role.

And Williams was fired for a reason as the AD at Marquette. His currency is diminished and I rather doubt he will be considered by the WCC to lead them.

Death on call

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2014, 06:13:56 PM »
If the cat walks inta the interview with that salt stained hat on, he fookin' toast.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2014, 06:21:56 PM »
If the cat walks inta the interview with that salt stained hat on, he fookin' toast.

Better than screwing up their names...

Death on call

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2014, 07:21:05 PM »
And Williams was fired for a reason as the AD at Marquette. His currency is diminished and I rather doubt he will be considered by the WCC to lead them.

He was fired because he didn't do well at the relationship-aspects of his position, and because he was being asked to change a culture at an organization that wasn't receptive to change.

Many solid professionals fail in one position only to excel at another that fits their talents.  Williams' talents to me seem suited toward being a mid-major conference commissioner. 

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2014, 08:31:32 PM »

He was fired because he didn't do well at the relationship-aspects of his position, and because he was being asked to change a culture at an organization that wasn't receptive to change.

Many solid professionals fail in one position only to excel at another that fits their talents.  Williams' talents to me seem suited toward being a mid-major conference commissioner. 

Senior executive roles are all about managing relationships. And if you are asked by your shareholders to drive change in an organization, you make that happen effectively and efficiently.

Williams suffered catastrophic failure in his time at Marquette. His weaknesses are precisely why he would not be considered for even greater responsibility. There are reasons people fail in positions of significant trust. But Williams' failures were entirely manageable and his inability to recognize and adjust make his shortcomings even more egregious.

Death on call

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2014, 08:36:00 PM »
Senior executive roles are all about managing relationships. And if you are asked by your shareholders to drive change in an organization, you make that happen effectively and efficiently.

Williams suffered catastrophic failure in his time at Marquette. His weaknesses are precisely why he would not be considered for even greater responsibility. There are reasons people fail in positions of significant trust. But Williams' failures were entirely manageable and his inability to recognize and adjust make his shortcomings even more egregious.

On what are you basing your assessment of LW?  Have you ever met the guy?  What knowledge have you obtained besides reading a couple of articles and participating in gossip and conjecture on this board?
Have some patience, FFS.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2014, 08:40:27 PM »
On what are you basing your assessment of LW?  Have you ever met the guy?  What knowledge have you obtained besides reading a couple of articles and participating in gossip and conjecture on this board?
Yeah, LW may have been a bad fit here.  But, that does not make him a failure...

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2014, 08:40:56 PM »

See, I am not sure that the commissioner of the WCC is a position of "greater responsibility" than Marquette's athletic director.

I see it as a very different responsibility...one that fits his talents better.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2014, 08:44:02 PM »

See, I am not sure that the commissioner of the WCC is a position of "greater responsibility" than Marquette's athletic director.

I would agree...

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2014, 09:04:27 PM »

I have not met Williams but can there be any debate that his time at Marquette was a failure? Less than two years at the helm is an unmitigated disaster - whether at GE Capital or running a Wendy's.

And while I have not met the man, I did not need to as I have several first hand accounts of his tenure and the ridiculous chaos that characterized his time at Marquette.  

As I said, senior executive assignments are 100% about managing relationships. That's been my experience in both the military and the private sector. When the national press routinely reported there was disharmony within the Athletic Department at my alma mater I took that as prima facie evidence that the man running that organization was failing.

Perhaps you missed the many articles detailing the open rift between Williams and his most important subordinate? Either this was a massive conspiracy aimed at undermining Williams' professional reputation or there was substance to the reporting. It is a fallacy to suggest that since I did not know the man personally I could not possibly pass judgment as there is significant empiricism on this in the public domain.

I understand you and Glow might have had a relationship with him given your support of the university. But I would caution against letting that familiarity cloud your perspective. One of the most difficult matters I ever had to attend to involved relieving a friend who was failing in his professional responsibilities. While wholly unpleasant it was necessary because the shareholders of the General Electric Corporation expected no less. And at no time did I ever let personal sentiment interfere with professional responsibility.

So how would you characterize his tenure at Marquette?  

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2014, 09:05:25 PM »

I guess that would depend on one's perspective, wouldn't it?

Death on call

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2014, 09:10:17 PM »
I guess that would depend on one's perspective, wouldn't it?

Sure, but not necessarily YOUR perspective...?

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2014, 09:18:15 PM »
Sure, but not necessarily YOUR perspective...?

I think a conference commissioner ranks higher in the pecking order but that is just opinion.

Death on call

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2014, 09:20:56 PM »
I think a conference commissioner ranks higher in the pecking order but that is just opinion.
WCC..nah.  Just my opinion.  Some of these slots are just administrative stuff...

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2014, 09:26:42 PM »
WCC..nah.  Just my opinion.  Some of these slots are just administrative stuff...

I get that perspective, too. But if anything a commish needs to be the consummate diplomat and I am not certain that is The Goatee's strong suit. His reign at MU was marked by significant turbulence, something member schools don't need from their conference leadership.

Bill Cords showed up with a pail, shovel, broom, and dust pan. God bless him. 

Death on call

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2014, 09:34:23 PM »
I get that perspective, too. But if anything a commish needs to be the consummate diplomat and I am not certain that is The Goatee's strong suit. His reign at MU was marked by significant turbulence, something member schools don't need from their conference leadership.

Part of his troubles were his own doing.  Part of them were due to things he was asked to do that the Marquette community was not ready for. 

The problem I have with your statements regarding LW is that you seem to think that he was a complete incompetent.  And while I agree he was out of his depth, I think a great deal of it was simply a bad fit.  He has been considered a success wherever he has been prior to Marquette.  From what I know about mid-major conference management, I think his skill set would be good for the WCC.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2014, 09:41:08 PM »
I have not met Williams but can there be any debate that his time at Marquette was a failure? Less than two years at the helm is an unmitigated disaster - whether at GE Capital or running a Wendy's.

And while I have not met the man, I did not need to as I have several first hand accounts of his tenure and the ridiculous chaos that characterized his time at Marquette.  

As I said, senior executive assignments are 100% about managing relationships. That's been my experience in both the military and the private sector. When the national press routinely reported there was disharmony within the Athletic Department at my alma mater I took that as prima facie evidence that the man running that organization was failing.

Perhaps you missed the many articles detailing the open rift between Williams and his most important subordinate? Either this was a massive conspiracy aimed at undermining Williams' professional reputation or there was substance to the reporting. It is a fallacy to suggest that since I did not know the man personally I could not possibly pass judgment as there is significant empiricism on this in the public domain.

I understand you and Glow might have had a relationship with him given your support of the university. But I would caution against letting that familiarity cloud your perspective. One of the most difficult matters I ever had to attend to involved relieving a friend who was failing in his professional responsibilities. While wholly unpleasant it was necessary because the shareholders of the General Electric Corporation expected no less. And at no time did I ever let personal sentiment interfere with professional responsibility.

So how would you characterize his tenure at Marquette?  

You initially said that Williams "suffered colossal failure".  That suggests the failure was his. The situation was indeed a failure based on the length of his tenure. I think the failure was mostly on the part of certain members of the administration and the athletic department.

Others have itemized his accomplishments, so I don't feel the need to rehash.  I am not privy to any special inside information. However, I do believe that Larry was not allowed to do his job in the way he believed was appropriate, realized that situation was not likely to change, and left as a result.
Have some patience, FFS.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #48 on: April 28, 2014, 09:42:28 PM »
warriorchick....LW was essentially fired.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #49 on: April 28, 2014, 09:46:01 PM »
warriorchick....LW was essentially fired.

Whatever...that doesn't change my point that Larry wasn't allowed to run the department the way he thought best, and I am not so sure the administration was 100% in the right on this.
Have some patience, FFS.