Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Larry Williams landing place?  (Read 16467 times)

tower912

• All American
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Tums Festival

• All American
Re: Larry Williams landing place?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 10:24:28 AM »
Too bad he isn't being considered for something where he'd have some at least semi-frequent contact with the ACC.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 10:24:42 AM »
I can't. He is the least diplomatic 'executive' for a role that requires deft political skills. Williams needs something that requires little interaction with others - subordinates and semi-autonomous constituencies alike.

He failed running Marquette's program. I highly doubt the WCC would see him as commissioner material. Hopefully, Williams would get the names of the member school leadership correct for an interview.

Death on call

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 10:28:56 AM »
I can't. He is the least diplomatic 'executive' for a role that requires deft political skills. Williams needs something that requires little interaction with others - subordinates and semi-autonomous constituencies alike.

He failed running Marquette's program. I highly doubt the WCC would see him as commissioner material. Hopefully, Williams would get the names of the member school leadership correct for an interview.
Yeah, Larry should be legal counsel for a conference.....

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 10:31:21 AM »
Yeah, Larry should be legal counsel for a conference.....

The end of off-color chants as we know them...

Death on call

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 11:27:22 AM »
http://blogs.mercurynews.com/collegesports/2014/04/24/west-coast-conference-the-search-for-a-commissioner/

I can see this.   

Zaninovich is a good guy, that hurts the WCC a bit unless they can find a solid replacement.  In my view, he was going to be the guy to tell Gonzaga to pound sand if the Zags wanted to park basketball in the Big East and the rest of their sports staying in the WCC.  For all I know, he sent that message to Gonzaga, he would have been a fool not to.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 11:32:18 AM »
I would be surprised that they would limit their search to the three named candidates. Incest is never pretty.

Death on call

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2014, 11:39:43 AM »

I enjoyed my conversations with Larry. He was bit gruff but has a great mind for strategy. The rebirth of the Big East would not have happened if Williams was not involved. I think he would do fine at this position. However, I do think there are more qualified candidates out there.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2014, 11:42:30 AM »
The rebirth of the Big East would not have happened if Williams was not involved.

Really? This happened because of Georgetown. Saxa Hoya.

Death on call

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2014, 11:53:13 AM »

Georgetown was the last of the Catholic 7 to join. They dug in their heels and stalled. They were praying for an ACC invite but it went to Notre Dame instead.
TAMU

Bo Ryan's Massage Therapist

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2014, 11:56:40 AM »

this couldn't be more wrong. This happened inspite of georgetown.  They wanted nothing to do with it. It happened because of Larry, Pilarz and the villanova AD and President. 
“If a player leaves Marquette and doesn’t have some of my blood in him, then I don’t think I’ve done a good job.”  Al McGuire

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2014, 11:58:04 AM »

Not true keefe.  They were last in line and the rest of the Catholic 7 still harbor some resentment.

Folks can moan all they want about Larry's relationship with Buzz and his public image.  Truth be known, he had a great deal to do with the creation of the new Big East.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 12:00:31 PM by jsglow »

chapman

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2014, 12:02:14 PM »
Zaninovich is a good guy, that hurts the WCC a bit unless they can find a solid replacement.  In my view, he was going to be the guy to tell Gonzaga to pound sand if the Zags wanted to park basketball in the Big East and the rest of their sports staying in the WCC.  For all I know, he sent that message to Gonzaga, he would have been a fool not to.

It did/would have happened.  At a minimum they were going to have to pay to play.

Warhawk Warrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2014, 12:15:24 PM »
I had a number of quality conversations with Larry.  He was a lot smarter than most realize.  He was financially astute and had major concerns about the new conference.  He believed that winning and attendance was the surest way to insure success.  He watched non-conference play of league teams with close vigilance and was extremely worried about MSG attendance.  He knew Creighton would carry its success the first year (which it did) but needed to generate enthusiasm going forward.  Marquette is a so-so traveler.

He did walk into an athletic situation that was lacking plans with regard to the introduction of Lacrosse and the huge funding associated with it.  Truly worried about expansion to SMU and other areas, not for basketball, but for the costs associated with all of the other non-revenue sports.  They don't like taking school buses to Gonzaga, for example.

Did he fit in, maybe not.  Was he intelligent, yes.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2014, 12:17:56 PM »
I had a number of quality conversations with Larry.  He was a lot smarter than most realize.  He was financially astute and had major concerns about the new conference.  He believed that winning and attendance was the surest way to insure success.  He watched non-conference play of league teams with close vigilance and was extremely worried about MSG attendance.  He knew Creighton would carry its success the first year (which it did) but needed to generate enthusiasm going forward.  Marquette is a so-so traveler.

He did walk into an athletic situation that was lacking plans with regard to the introduction of Lacrosse and the huge funding associated with it.  Truly worried about expansion to SMU and other areas, not for basketball, but for the costs associated with all of the other non-revenue sports.  They don't like taking school buses to Gonzaga, for example.

Did he fit in, maybe not.  Was he intelligent, yes.

That's because his predecessor had no experience in that area IMO

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2014, 12:26:18 PM »
Georgetown was the last of the Catholic 7 to join.

Exactly. Read what I wrote. But it wasn't because they were not interested. Quite the contrary.

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2014, 12:37:12 PM »
Not true keefe.  They were last in line and the rest of the Catholic 7 still harbor some resentment.

Georgetown knew all along that the BE was the last, best hope. And they were never against the BE but were insistent on certain elements. At the end of the day both sides made concessions (Creighton) and the league happened. But without GU there was no BE and everyone knew it.

And yes, there are some very hard feelings but hardly with all of the others. GU is the top dog for a number of reasons. They had leverage, knew it, and used it. I wouldn't overstate William's role in all of this. He was involved as the MU rep but I would not characterize his involvement as essential, vital, or definitive.

As for GU exploring other potentialities that is certainly true. But that should be the norm in such cases so I would hardly cast stones for their having done so. From what I understand their starting point was to be a part of the break away group but they modeled other end games. To do so is more than just prudent.

And if anyone faults GU for looking at other end games then they must not be aware of discussions between GU and SJU. Personally, I am glad those two schools joined the BE but there is more to this story.

Death on call

Gato78

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2014, 01:13:26 PM »
I guess your sources in the athletic department didn't understand how much Cottingham had worked on this, in conjunction with Broeker and others.  Of course, the intro of lacrosse was left in Larry's lap when Cottingham was wrongly terminated so he bitched about it. The program has been quite successful since, as Cottingham contemplated, and got MU back to recruiting areas for regular students where we had traditionally recruited: East coast and Chicago suburbs. The truth is funding has proven tough but that is across the board right now. Larry started work on building and funding a new field house that would include lacrosse and the soccer teams before he was canned, so it could not have been that bad.

That's because his predecessor had no experience in that area IMO

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2014, 01:25:20 PM »
I guess your sources in the athletic department didn't understand how much Cottingham had worked on this, in conjunction with Broeker and others.  Of course, the intro of lacrosse was left in Larry's lap when Cottingham was wrongly terminated so he bitched about it. The program has been quite successful since, as Cottingham contemplated, and got MU back to recruiting areas for regular students where we had traditionally recruited: East coast and Chicago suburbs. The truth is funding has proven tough but that is across the board right now. Larry started work on building and funding a new field house that would include lacrosse and the soccer teams before he was canned, so it could not have been that bad.

He repeatly mentioned the Field House in his Q&A Session at the last NYC Circles event.  Knowing the Milwaukee weather, it still sounds like a great idea.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2014, 01:45:26 PM »
He repeatly mentioned the Field House in his Q&A Session at the last NYC Circles event.  Knowing the Milwaukee weather, it still sounds like a great idea.

Michigan football under Bo struggled in Bowls and Schembechler correctly reasoned that a major factor was the lack of an indoor practice facility. Bo went to Canham with a plan and the first indoor practice facility was built. Michigan recently completed the Glick, making it one of only two schools with indoor practice facilities.

Death on call

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2014, 02:05:01 PM »
The lacrosse team has actually had a pretty good season so far. I've even heard talks of coach Amplo winning national coach of the year.
Bring back FFP!!!

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2014, 02:30:38 PM »

Cottingham was a friend of mine. But he was not wrongly terminated.
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2014, 02:37:36 PM »
Exactly. Read what I wrote. But it wasn't because they were not interested. Quite the contrary.

I see what your saying. And you're right, we shouldn't cast stones. We tested the waters with the ACC, B1G, and Big 12 to see if any would be interested in a basketball only member. They weren't.

We can argue about what adjective to use to describe Larry's involvement, but he was extremely important. He was the bulldog who helped make sure the other schools got in line. He also made sure the new schools were ones that Marquette approved of.
TAMU

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2014, 02:50:00 PM »

I'm quite aware of it.  The strategic study started back in 2010....actually started prior to Cottingham back in the day and cycled through several administrations when determining what to do with Men's Wrestling, rifle, etc.  Studies were done on feasbility of women's softball, golf, etc.  I get why it was done, understand the strategic thinking behind it with the growth of the sport and trying to be an earlier adopter into the sport. 

Like questions of law, one lawyer sees something one way and another lawyer sees something quite the opposite, yet both claim they are right.

My concern is the cost benefit evaluation, exit strategy, etc.  The sports were also added with the old Big East in mind.  IMO

Gato78

• Team Captain
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2014, 02:54:46 PM »
Why do you say that? Are you really his friend? You understand who directed the player to talk to the woman, right?

Cottingham was a friend of mine. But he was not wrongly terminated.