[Today at 08:33:32 PM]

MU all-time defensive team? by Lennys Tap
[Today at 08:17:58 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Tyler COLEk
[Today at 08:02:10 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Tyler COLEk
[Today at 07:58:29 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Carlino a Warrior  (Read 34829 times)

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
Carlino a Warrior
« on: April 25, 2014, 03:42:12 PM »

Death on call

The Sultan of Silly

• Scholarship Player
Re: Carlino a Warrior
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 03:55:17 PM »
And yet another point guard to take away minutes from Wilson and Dawson....Dumb! Dumb! Dumb!

Duane Wilson needs 30 minutes a game and has NBA talent....but Wojo prefers a PG that reminds him of him and his multiple NIT runs at Duke when he was a player. 

Rookie coach mistake.

MU played for fools again after letting Buzz take us for $2.5MM a year and then let him steal our star recruits as well.  Ben Howland would never have let Hill and Pierce be allowed out of their NLI to go to VT as he knows how cut throat college basketball world is.  Hopefully we make one smart move over the next year as the last year has been a disaster. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 03:56:17 PM »
And yet another point guard to take away minutes from Wilson and Dawson....Dumb! Dumb! Dumb!

Duane Wilson needs 30 minutes a game and has NBA talent....but Wojo prefers a PG that reminds him of him and his multiple NIT runs at Duke when he was a player. 

Rookie coach mistake.

MU played for fools again after letting Buzz take us for $2.5MM a year and then let him steal our star recruits as well.  Ben Howland would never have let Hill and Pierce be allowed out of their NLI to go to VT as he knows how cut throat college basketball world is.  Hopefully we make one smart move over the next year as the last year has been a disaster. 

Lol
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 03:57:15 PM »
Paint Touches @PaintTouches  ·  28s
Marquette now at 11 scholarships for the 2014-15 season. Currently one player taller than 6-foot-7.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 03:58:05 PM »
Boom! Excellent news. Welcome to Warrior Nation Matt!
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 03:59:29 PM »
Paint Touches ‏@PaintTouches  1m
The last FOUR seasons combined Marquette's starting PGs have made 63 3-pointers. Last year alone Carlino made 60. #mubb
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 04:00:10 PM »
The last FOUR seasons combined Marquette's starting PGs have made 63 3-pointers. Last year alone Carlino made 60. #mubb

Exactly why I wanted him
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2014, 04:02:24 PM »
Hopefully, this puts an end to a lot of the endless debate over PG. We should bear in mind that Carlino comes in for one year to provide some of the passion and on-court presence that was so desperately missing last season. It also takes a lot of pressure off Duane and Dawson so they can develop more constructively. Finally, I like that Carlino has Marquette DNA so this is a homecoming of sorts.

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2014, 04:04:59 PM »

Death on call

MU82

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2014, 04:05:27 PM »

Rookie coach mistake.

A disaster was the landslide in Washington state. This is college basketball.

Ben Howland obviously had enough problems dealing with UCLA, which might explain why nobody has hired him.

You are as clueless as you are whiny and negative.

As for Carlino, I will repeat what I said on another thread:

We needed help everywhere, including the perimeter. We had the scholly and we weren't going to get three big men. It's a one-and-done situation. The best players will earn minutes. We will use plenty of 3- and 4-guard sets. Did you see Villanova play this past season? A team can win going small.

I see zero downside to this ... unless Carlino sucks. And he apparently doesn't. I will trust a guy who coached at Duke for 15 years and helped recruit some of the best athletes in the game to know more about Carlino's ability than some anonymous Internet mope does.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2014, 04:07:05 PM »

Rookie coach mistake.

His name says it all!

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2014, 04:07:32 PM »

Rookie coach mistake.

Welcome back Cuonzo. How's life at Cal so far?
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2014, 04:08:18 PM »

That's because we had a head coach that didn't believe in guys capable of doing traditional things, like stroke shots. 

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2014, 04:09:19 PM »
That's because we had a head coach that didn't believe in guys capable of doing traditional things, like stroke shots. 

Why shoot when you can dribble?

Death on call

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2014, 04:10:10 PM »

Unless Wojo was going to use a schoarship on a 6-10 guy he molded out of clay, there is little downside to this. As small as they are going to be, you will consistently see 3 and 4 guard lineups out of MU. Du Wilson and Dawson will, can, and should play plenty of time at the 2 pos. that would have been the case with or without Carlino. He's a guy to fill out the roster for a year. If there were better guys available, you might have a point, but at this point, the chances of finding a front court player or two that is any good are almost non-existent.

Norm

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2014, 04:15:18 PM »
Its not hard to find better 3-point shooters than Junior and Derrick.

I hope Carlino works out and does not cause any problems in the locker room that he was rumored to cause at BYU. He is leaving Provo because he was not guaranteed to be the starter at PG. How will he react if he does not get the playing time he feels he deserves? And how does this affect Duane and John's development?

Not too excited about this transfer right now but hope I come to regret this feeling when he plays well and contributes next season.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2014, 04:16:06 PM »

So the new meme on this board is now "Wojo only likes traditional point guards?"

Great.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2014, 04:16:30 PM »
You can never have too many PGs.

For reference, see the senior seasons of Dominic James and Travis Diener.  DJ's team had Final Four potential until his late-season injury, and then didn't get past the second round.  Diener's team looked like an NCAA team until he got injured and then lost to teams like St. Louis, TCU and ultimately Western Michigan in the NIT first round.

I suspect we will see plenty of 3 or even 4-guard lineups next season.  Seemed to work OK when we had the Amigos.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2014, 04:16:52 PM »
Why shoot when you can dribble?

I'm ok with that if you can dribble to the rim and either convert or pass.  If neither of those are an option.....

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2014, 04:19:08 PM »
Burton said earlier this month that he likes Duane Wilson as a 2 more than at the point. He certainly has the scoring skill set.

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2014, 04:21:05 PM »
Kyle Doubrava ‏@KyleDoubrava  4m
Carlino on playing #mubb in 2012: "I remember playing Marquette, and Jae Crowder, he was an animal. He was an amazing player..."
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2014, 04:30:49 PM »

So the new meme on this board is now "Wojo only likes traditional point guards?"

Great.

No late entries, tourney has started.... No more meme creation for at least 3 months
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

brandx

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2014, 04:37:48 PM »
A disaster was the landslide in Washington state. This is college basketball.

Ben Howland obviously had enough problems dealing with UCLA, which might explain why nobody has hired him.

You are as clueless as you are whiny and negative.

As for Carlino, I will repeat what I said on another thread:

We needed help everywhere, including the perimeter. We had the scholly and we weren't going to get three big men. It's a one-and-done situation. The best players will earn minutes. We will use plenty of 3- and 4-guard sets. Did you see Villanova play this past season? A team can win going small.

I see zero downside to this ... unless Carlino sucks. And he apparently doesn't. I will trust a guy who coached at Duke for 15 years and helped recruit some of the best athletes in the game to know more about Carlino's ability than some anonymous Internet mope does.

+1

Getting a couple one-year guys is exactly what is needed to fill out the roster. Much better than bringing in any of the high school guys that are left over at this point in time.

And Carlino definitely has an attitude on the floor, which this team will need next year.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2014, 04:39:11 PM »
I hope Carlino works out and does not cause any problems in the locker room that he was rumored to cause at BYU. He is leaving Provo because he was not guaranteed to be the starter at PG. How will he react if he does not get the playing time he feels he deserves? And how does this affect Duane and John's development?

I've heard that his biggest issue at BYU was being expected to be "the next Fredette"...and trying to live up to those expectatons.

Sounds like a change of scenery might do him a world of good.

humanlung

• Team Captain
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2014, 04:39:36 PM »
+1

Getting a couple one-year guys is exactly what is needed to fill out the roster. Much better than bringing in any of the high school guys that are left over at this point in time.

And Carlino definitely has an attitude on the floor, which this team will need next year.

I totally agree with the need for attitude.  That was almost completely absent last year.

feedback