[Today at 12:40:07 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Marquette transfers, this millennium by Galway Eagle
[Today at 08:51:26 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Michigan's McGary fails drug test, enters NBA Draft  (Read 22385 times)

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
Re: Michigan's McGary fails drug test, enters NBA Draft
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2014, 01:35:32 PM »
The problem is that the rules are totally arbitrary.  Tobacco and cotton destroyed marijuana before it could become a FINANCIAL threat.  They did this by lobbying the government a decade ago. 

Goes even farther back.  Hemp got banned liek a 100 years ago by DuPont lobbying as they wanted to sell nylon.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2014, 01:37:20 PM »
a weed bust will actually help his stock in the NBA.

He just moved up Portland's draft board
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2014, 01:37:36 PM »
Goes even farther back.  Hemp got banned liek a 100 years ago by DuPont lobbying as they wanted to sell nylon.

haha yeah, my bad... I meant century.

NotBuzzWilliams

• Starter
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2014, 02:29:17 PM »
There's a Larry Sanders joke here somewhere, but I can't come up with it

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2014, 03:33:19 PM »

William Randolph Hearst, the publisher, didn't want a threat to his paper mills as well.
We Are Marquette

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2014, 03:34:40 PM »
We Are Marquette

MU82

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2014, 04:14:56 PM »
I'm not missing the point, at all.  I find it ironic that this country, or segments of it, want to tackle big, bad tobacco at every turn, but at the same time they have no problem with MJ.  Both are problematic, both cause health problems, but one has a corporate face behind it, thus an easy target.

Look there are laws in this country and their rules and regs for companies, NCAA, etc, etc.   What would happen to an employee who tested positive at a Fortune 100 company at a company event?  Heck, I've seen people fired for being too drunk at an industry event. 

No one is denying it is done, but let's not pretend there aren't possible ramifications.  You may think 1 year is too much, I may agree.  Then again, people get FIRED for this kind of stuff in the real world.  There are ramifications.

I find it ironic that this country, or segments of it, want the big, bad government out of everyday life, but at the same time they want to tell grownups what they can ingest, want people who use MJ to do jail time, want legal authority over women's reproductive issues, etc.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2014, 04:15:25 PM »
Smoking something is bad for you???? no way!!! 

By the way, you'll get people on this very board and many others that will deny it is bad for you.  All kinds of mental gymnastics are used.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2014, 04:32:42 PM »
Just in the last 10 days

Harvard study showing MJ causes brain deformations.  French study showing heart disease by MJ users.

But hey, there's no issues here.   ::)   

I am not completely comfortable with the legalization of MJ.

That being said, I think a year for a first offense for a drug that has no impact on his performance is terribly harsh.  Of course, I think our society's desire to punish people who use drugs instead of helping them is a big problem.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2014, 04:35:26 PM »
But ethyl alcohol and caffeine are perfectly acceptable drugs because why?

Hey, hey, hey...let's settle down there, sport!

Death on call

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2014, 05:26:23 PM »
I find it ironic that this country, or segments of it, want the big, bad government out of everyday life, but at the same time they want to tell grownups what they can ingest, want people who use MJ to do jail time, want legal authority over women's reproductive issues, etc.

As long as big bad gov't is making my pay for everyone else's healthcare insurance, I want to know what crap they are allowing people to consume that down the road I have to help pay for their medical bills.  Or, more importantly, how it might impact my life or my family's life....as I've said on this board a few times, drugs led to the murder of my sister's boyfriend a number of years ago.  All started with MJ, then they graduated on up.  Good times.  So I'm worried about the innocent that get caught into this stuff, are killed by the non responsive high driver, so on and so forth.

On women's reproductive issues, again...I'm worried about the 40 million children that never got a shot because someone wants to use that as a birth control.

Shame on me for looking out for the lives of people....I can live with myself.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2014, 05:27:57 PM »

I am not completely comfortable with the legalization of MJ.

That being said, I think a year for a first offense for a drug that has no impact on his performance is terribly harsh.  Of course, I think our society's desire to punish people who use drugs instead of helping them is a big problem.

Someone getting fired for using might be too harsh as well, but it happens. 

I'm just amazed, shocked, stunned that the one time in McGary's life he decided to use it (his words) he got caught.  Damn that luck.  What are the odds.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2014, 05:32:15 PM »
Someone getting fired for using might be too harsh as well, but it happens. 

Correct...but that really isn't the same thing.  I can understand why an employer would want to ensure that their employees aren't using illegal substances for all sorts of reasons.  I can also understand why drugs are tested for in college basketball.  I just think the sentence is too harsh.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2014, 05:37:01 PM »
Hey, hey, hey...let's settle down there, sport!

Not judging. I regularly utilize ethyl alcohol to self medicate for anxiety and as a mood enhancer. I use caffeine to mitigate the effects of fatigue and as a mood enhancer.

My point is it's all just chemical compounds that have an effect on our bodies. Nothing more. Simple chemistry.
We Are Marquette

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2014, 06:18:05 PM »
guess he should have grabbed that $ and turned pro after his freshman year afterall

Yup.

Too late for those frosh who decided to return to their teams after a hot tourney streak. *cough* UK *cough*
SS Marquette

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2014, 09:48:14 PM »
Stupid. I don't partake myself, but a year long suspension for a drug that is legally in two states is beyond extreme.

But ethyl alcohol and nicotine and caffeine are perfectly acceptable drugs because why?

You have to go back to the 1930's when states in the southwest had a problem with illegal Mexican workers hanging around and taking jobs during the depression.  MJ was their drug of choice so the states pushed the federal government to out it, so the states could crack down on it and the Mexican workers who used it could be deported.  Until then MJ was growing as a weed in many parts of the US.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2014, 09:52:17 PM »
Just in the last 10 days

Harvard study showing MJ causes brain deformations.  French study showing heart disease by MJ users.

Again, the penalty given....voted on by the SCHOOLS, by the MEMBERSHIP.  Too harsh, tell your schools.  The NCAA is merely enforcing the legislation passed.  It happened at a NCAA sanctioned event.  He could smoke up all he wanted at school and the school's policies may be different...ahem...or a blind eye looked (typically depends how many PPG or what the QB rating is), but at a NCAA sanctioned event, rules are actually enforced.

By the way, student athletes are all told what the penalties are. 

Okay Officer Squarenuts.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2014, 04:25:27 AM »
Looks like he could've used some advice from Matt Foley.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 07:10:16 AM by Heavy Gear »
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2014, 08:34:44 AM »
As long as big bad gov't is making my pay for everyone else's healthcare insurance, I want to know what crap they are allowing people to consume that down the road I have to help pay for their medical bills.  Or, more importantly, how it might impact my life or my family's life....as I've said on this board a few times, drugs led to the murder of my sister's boyfriend a number of years ago.  All started with MJ, then they graduated on up.  Good times.  So I'm worried about the innocent that get caught into this stuff, are killed by the non responsive high driver, so on and so forth.

On women's reproductive issues, again...I'm worried about the 40 million children that never got a shot because someone wants to use that as a birth control.

Shame on me for looking out for the lives of people....I can live with myself.

You were already paying for it.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2014, 10:09:28 AM »

You were already paying for it.

I'm paying a heck of a lot more for it now. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2014, 10:12:37 AM »
Okay Officer Squarenuts.

It's personal for me.  My sister's boyfriend back in the day was murdered because of this crap.

Sorry if I bring a personal experience.  Plus, quite frankly, I get sick and tired of the "it's the first time I ever used it" or "I didn't know the rules".  BS.  The rules are given to all student athletes.  I don't have to like them, you don't have to like them, but they are there.  Don't like the rules, make a compelling argument and muster support to change them....and don't come crying 40 years from now when people want to start suing someone for their medical problems after prolonged usage because we already know the damage it causes.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2014, 10:27:50 AM »
I'm paying a heck of a lot more for it now. 

Then you're in a extreme minority then.  I'm on my wife's plan and the 2013-2014 plans through 2015-2016 will be the same cost as 2012-2013.  That's 4 years in a row at the same cost.  My company, whose insurance I decline had no raise in cost for 2014.  Our HR person told me it's the first time in her 17 years that it did not go up. 
And other then you, every other person has repeated the same as my experience - smallest ever increase or none.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2014, 10:52:46 AM »
Just in the last 10 days

Again, the penalty given....voted on by the SCHOOLS, by the MEMBERSHIP.  Too harsh, tell your schools.  The NCAA is merely enforcing the legislation passed.  It happened at a NCAA sanctioned event.  He could smoke up all he wanted at school and the school's policies may be different...ahem...or a blind eye looked (typically depends how many PPG or what the QB rating is), but at a NCAA sanctioned event, rules are actually enforced.

By the way, student athletes are all told what the penalties are. 

As I said in the other thread, you are vastly misreporting the scientific data and what is contained in the actual research papers. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2014, 02:16:16 PM »
As I said in the other thread, you are vastly misreporting the scientific data and what is contained in the actual research papers. 

This is research that came out in the last 15 days.  I'm not vastly misreporting anything.  Last I checked, science is about discovering, testing, searching, etc for answers and new answers come about all the time.  This is new data.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2014, 02:34:05 PM »
Then you're in a extreme minority then.  I'm on my wife's plan and the 2013-2014 plans through 2015-2016 will be the same cost as 2012-2013.  That's 4 years in a row at the same cost.  My company, whose insurance I decline had no raise in cost for 2014.  Our HR person told me it's the first time in her 17 years that it did not go up.  
And other then you, every other person has repeated the same as my experience - smallest ever increase or none.

There is a lot more that goes into the cost of a company's health insurance plan than Obamacare.  A lot of it has to do with the company's claim history and potential for future claims.  If a company's dollar amount of claims was less than it had been in previous years (or an employee who had major health issues is no longer on the plan), that will affect the company's rates way more than Obamacare, especially if it is a small/medium-sized employer.
Have some patience, FFS.