Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Hill and Pierce to VT per Evan Daniels.  (Read 49051 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Hill and Pierce to VT per Evan Daniels.
« Reply #150 on: June 11, 2014, 12:37:06 PM »
It seems that Young Coach Wojo has a different recruiting style than our former coach. Buzz preferred a "shotgun approach" to recruiting, appropriate considering the hillbilly persona he likes to put off. He would hand offers out like candy. 40-50 offers per class in hopes that he would get a few bites. Wojo comes from Duke. He is used to offering 7 kids and getting 5 of them. He obviously can't pull that off at Marquette, but I think he will be offering between 10-15 kids and really working on them. It's a high risk high reward strategy. You tend to get the players you want but it leaves you with nobody if those 10-15 take their talents elsewhere.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

muwar2003

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #151 on: June 11, 2014, 12:51:55 PM »
That is one thing I am afraid of.  If Wojo can't get his select group of recruits to pick us; what do we do?  Go with 10 or 11 players?  I am sure hoping Wojo starts to get recruits and sets up a trail to mu from some of these areas.  Also how we or anybody knows if a student will graduate from mu when they first start?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #152 on: June 11, 2014, 01:00:28 PM »
Also how we or anybody knows if a student will graduate from mu when they first start?

What that means is you don't recruit a juco who only has two years of eligibility but only 1 year of coursework done, ala Jae Crowder.

You could also stretch it to mean don't recruit players who are already in legal trouble.

Other than that, recruit whoever you want!
TAMU

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #153 on: June 11, 2014, 02:01:38 PM »
What that means is you don't recruit a juco who only has two years of eligibility but only 1 year of coursework done, ala Jae Crowder.

You could also stretch it to mean don't recruit players who are already in legal trouble.

Other than that, recruit whoever you want!

Agree and it is entirely reasonable.  That isn't going to ruin the program or make us SLU (who went to the NCAAs last year). 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #154 on: June 11, 2014, 02:49:26 PM »
There are not "tighter rules." The rules are the same as they have always been. Don't admit kids who have no chance of graduating from Marquette. Buzz broke that rule and the university told him not to do it again. This may be what you meant, but there is no truth to the "every recruit must be squeaky clean and an honor student" rumors that have been going around.

WTF!??? Buzz ADMITTED kids to the university who had no chance of graduating? HE broke some rule by ADMITTING Jae Crowder? The UNIVERSITY admitted Jae Crowder, so if there was a rule (I'm sure there wasn't) then they broke their own rule. Did TC break a rule when he "ADMITTED" D Wade? Silly.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 03:24:06 PM by Lennys Tap »

River rat

• Team Captain
« Reply #155 on: June 11, 2014, 03:23:26 PM »
Silly argument,

WOJO will recruit really well.  He has the advantage of coming in with MU in a really good place in recruits eyes.  even wih last year Mu has still gone to the nCAA 7 of 8years with some nice finishes.  He has more momentum than Buzz had coming in in the sense that Mu had only gone to 3 straight when buzz came in versus 7 of 8 and the sweet 16s and elite 8, also Buzz came in as an unknown and had to build his cache with recruits.  Wojo has big time name recognition and a collection of assistant coaches that will intrigue recruits
His first couple classes will be impressive IMO,
after that his success on the court will dictate his caliber of recruits

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #156 on: June 11, 2014, 03:30:14 PM »
The decision by the former admin to move the freshman out of Humphrey, along with slightly raising the admission requirements above NCAA minimums, that virtually every other high major school abides by - were the most nauseating and upsetting thing that came out of Pilarz/Larry Williams regime.

Additionally, Jae Crowder was an absolute joy to have at MU...and a great representative of the university.  If we want to be able to compete at the highest of levels in high major ball - we don't need to make the head coach's job more difficult than it already is - through housing the underclassmen in regular dorms - when other schools build luxury dorms largely for their basketball and football teams..while allowing the minimum required non-athelte students into them to be in compliance...nor raising academic standards....nor NOT admitting a JUCO who may not be in a position to graduate from MU based on his incoming stature.  Our APR will be just fine so long as we don't abuse the JUCO admissions...who are short on credits coming in the door.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 03:38:10 PM by Ners »
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #157 on: June 11, 2014, 03:37:01 PM »
WTF!??? Buzz ADMITTED kids to the university who had no chance of graduating? HE broke some rule by ADMITTING Jae Crowder? The UNIVERSITY admitted Jae Crowder, so if there was a rule (I'm sure there wasn't) then they broke their own rule. Did TC break a rule when he "admitted" D Wade. Silly.

Easy Lenny. The University is at fault too. They decided to let Buzz recruit Crowder. That was on them. But afterwards they decided afterwards that they didn't want it to happen in the future. Buzz was not happy with that decision but had to live with it. And yes it was a rule and it was broken. They knew going in that Jae Crowder had gone to an unaccreditted JUCO his freshman year. This means that none of his credits would transfer in. He only had one year of coursework done. That left three years worth of work to do and only two years to complete it. That is an APR no no. The university allowed it once but wasn't going to allow it again.

Dwyane Wade was a completely different situation. He absolutely had a chance to graduate. TC followed all of the partial qualifier protocols to a T. No squirminess there (besides the tanning cream and hair oil). Jae Crowder? Definitely some squirminess.

Don't get me wrong, I'm ecstatic and proud to call Jae a Marquette alum former Warrior. I'm a fan, it's my job to want success on the court above all. But I understand why the administration, who has much nobler priorities, decided that they will not allow another Jae Crowder to happen.
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #158 on: June 11, 2014, 03:45:56 PM »
The decision by the former admin to move the freshman out of Humphrey, along with slightly raising the admission requirements above NCAA minimums, that virtually every other high major school abides by - were the most nauseating and upsetting thing that came out of Pilarz/Larry Williams regime.

Additionally, Jae Crowder was an absolute joy to have at MU...and a great representative of the university.  If we want to be able to compete at the highest of levels in high major ball - we don't need to make the head coach's job more difficult than it already is - through housing the underclassmen in regular dorms - when other schools build luxury dorms largely for their basketball and football teams..while allowing the minimum required non-athelte students into them to be in compliance...nor raising academic standards....nor admitting a JUCO who may not be in a position to graduate from MU based on his incoming stature.  Our APR will be just fine so long as we don't abuse the JUCO admissions...who are short on credits coming in the door.

I have been told that Carpenter will likely not be the home for Marquette basketball in the near future. That move was an overcorrection to the sexual assaults that occurred back in 2008. I agree that it was an unnecessary hamstringing of our recruiting efforts. I don't think we can justify building luxury dorms for our athletes. It doesn't seem to gel too well with mission and values. But as a fan, I would love to see it happen.

The JUCO admissions on the other hand....even star basketball players are supposed to be students first. I don't think the university can justify taking students that have zero chance of graduating. That's a complete departure from their mission. It's saying that their talent as a basketball player is more important than their ability to complete their degree.
TAMU

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #159 on: June 11, 2014, 03:48:24 PM »
Think you guys are misreading Jae's situation.  He took extra courses including summer session after his eligibility for Juco ended in order to get both his Juco degree as well as sufficient credits for entrance to MU.  He did not need 3 full years of credits.  He worked hard to get admitted by MU.  He was somewhat behind but not 3 years worth.  Just hard for a 2 year Juco to graduate in the "normal" 4 year timeframe.  Part of why Buzz wanted McKay to redshirt.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #160 on: June 11, 2014, 03:59:52 PM »
Think you guys are misreading Jae's situation.  He took extra courses including summer session after his eligibility for Juco ended in order to get both his Juco degree as well as sufficient credits for entrance to MU.  He did not need 3 full years of credits.  He worked hard to get admitted by MU.  He was somewhat behind but not 3 years worth.  Just hard for a 2 year Juco to graduate in the "normal" 4 year timeframe.  Part of why Buzz wanted McKay to redshirt.

He did work extra hard. He still had no chance of graduating from Marquette before his eligibility ran out and never did graduate from Marquette. Jae would have been fine if he went to an accreditted JUCO his freshman year but he didn't. No amount of summer courses was going to make up for that.

Buzz also did not want McKay to redshirt. He was fine academically. Indian Hills is an accredited and respected JUCO. Plus, McKay committed early and had people working with him to make sure he would be admitted to Marquette.
TAMU

Class71

• All American
« Reply #161 on: June 11, 2014, 04:03:23 PM »
I cant even hate, Buzz is a great recruiter.  Simple as that.

Im just excited to see what Wojo can do!

Agree but great for someone else is like yesterday's newspaper, only good for wrapping fish.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #162 on: June 11, 2014, 04:09:47 PM »

That is false.  Jae Crowder was a non-qualifier, and therefore had to obtain his associates degree to even be eligible.  He had to accomplish this in just over a year...most kids take two academic years to accomplish this.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #163 on: June 11, 2014, 04:15:36 PM »
I have been told that Carpenter will likely not be the home for Marquette basketball in the near future. That move was an overcorrection to the sexual assaults that occurred back in 2008. I agree that it was an unnecessary hamstringing of our recruiting efforts. I don't think we can justify building luxury dorms for our athletes. It doesn't seem to gel too well with mission and values. But as a fan, I would love to see it happen.

But building a new 32 million dollar (or whatever it costs) Jesuit residence is totally in the mission and values of the university? You know, the guys who took a vow of poverty.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 04:17:36 PM by swoopem »
Bring back FFP!!!

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #164 on: June 11, 2014, 04:16:19 PM »

That is false.  Jae Crowder was a non-qualifier, and therefore had to obtain his associates degree to even be eligible.  He had to accomplish this in just over a year...most kids take two academic years to accomplish this.
Yep, TAMU is missing that.  He did have his associates degree and had to go to summer school to make up for any non-transferable ( PE, etc ) credits. Still hard to graduate in 2 years though.  And that was made harder because Buzz sent him home the summer between his junior and senior seasons.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #165 on: June 11, 2014, 04:21:38 PM »

I am aware of this. Having an associates degree and having two years worth of transferable credits are two different things. Jae Crowder came to Marquette with an associates degree and enough credits to be considered a sophomore.
TAMU

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #166 on: June 11, 2014, 04:24:04 PM »
Yep, TAMU is missing that.  He did have his associates degree and had to go to summer school to make up for any non-transferable ( PE, etc ) credits. Still hard to graduate in 2 years though.  And that was made harder because Buzz sent him home the summer between his junior and senior seasons.

Jae majored in PE at Howard.  He could not get those credits to transfer to MU, because they don't have a PE program.  Therefore he could not finish MU in two years.  (And good call about Buzz sending him home...forgot about that.  Also because he had to finish up at Howard, he missed the summer session at MU.)

MU will take Jucos, but Jucos who have the ability to graduate in two years (or a little more).  Jameel had a shot because he didn't do the PE thing at Indian Hills.

But Jae didn't simply do one year at Howard.  He did summer, fall, spring and summer to get his associates degree finished.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #167 on: June 11, 2014, 04:24:31 PM »
I am aware of this. Having an associates degree and having two years worth of transferable credits are two different things. Jae Crowder came to Marquette with an associates degree and enough credits to be considered a sophomore.

Right...because of the *types* of credits he took.  (ie, Phy Ed)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #168 on: June 11, 2014, 04:25:53 PM »
But building a new 32 million dollar (or whatever it costs) Jesuit residence is totally in the mission and values of the university? You know, the guys who took a vow of poverty.

I would argue it falls more in line with the mission than a basketball dorm would.

Now if you wanted to upgrade all the dorms (which is desperately needed), that would be well within the mission of the university.
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #169 on: June 11, 2014, 04:37:59 PM »

Jae majored in PE at Howard.  He could not get those credits to transfer to MU, because they don't have a PE program.  Therefore he could not finish MU in two years.  (And good call about Buzz sending him home...forgot about that.  Also because he had to finish up at Howard, he missed the summer session at MU.)

MU will take Jucos, but Jucos who have the ability to graduate in two years (or a little more).  Jameel had a shot because he didn't do the PE thing at Indian Hills.

But Jae didn't simply do one year at Howard.  He did summer, fall, spring and summer to get his associates degree finished.

I think we are arguing the same point. When he came to Marquette, Jae Crowder had an associates degree but not as many credits as a 3rd year student should. As a result, Jae Crowder was admitted knowing there was virtually no chance for him to graduate before his eligibility expired.
TAMU

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #170 on: June 11, 2014, 04:38:51 PM »

Don't get me wrong, I'm ecstatic and proud to call Jae a Marquette alum former Warrior. I'm a fan, it's my job to want success on the court above all. But I understand why the administration, who has much nobler priorities, decided that they will not allow another Jae Crowder to happen.

You don't have to graduate to be an alum.  Jae is an alum under the policies MU uses for that distinction.  Just as Dick Cheney is an alum of UW-madison though he didn't graduate from there.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #171 on: June 11, 2014, 04:40:41 PM »

Yes, Buzz did get involved too late to have MU help steer him academically.  So, some credits did not transfer.  In Jae's case, he has probably earned more money now than many graduates will in a lifetime.  Strange world.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #172 on: June 11, 2014, 04:41:17 PM »
You don't have to graduate to be an alum.  Jae is an alum under the policies MU uses for that distinction.  Just as Dick Cheney is an alum of UW-madison though he didn't graduate from there.

Yes, in the same way I am technically an alum of Texas A&M despite never going to school here. I was making a point.
TAMU

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #173 on: June 11, 2014, 04:41:45 PM »

The money to build the Jes Res is coming from donations earmarked for that expense.  The current Jes Res was built in 1916.  Maybe it's a recruiting tool to get more priests!!   ;)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #174 on: June 11, 2014, 04:44:28 PM »
Yes, in the same way I am technically an alum of Texas A&M despite never going to school here. I was making a point.

I suppose, but I'm literally saying that he is an alum because he has enough years of attending MU and credits earned to qualify per MU's definition of alumnae status.

feedback