[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Sexual misconduct, hazing alleged at Marquette fraternities  (Read 32250 times)

Sir Lawrence

• All American
Sexual misconduct, hazing alleged at Marquette fraternities
« on: April 15, 2014, 02:58:53 PM »

Marquette University's Division of Student Affairs has issued official warnings to three fraternities following allegations of sexual misconduct and hazing.

The warnings related to allegations of sexual misconduct were given to the Marquette chapters of Triangle Fraternity, Delta Chi Fraternity and Sigma Phi Delta. Sigma Phi Delta also was warned for a hazing incident at the fraternity house.

The warnings were issued Wednesday, and the university's investigation of the allegations continues, Marya Leatherwood, Marquette's assistant vice president for student affairs, said in a statement released on Tuesday.

The statement doesn't elaborate on the nature of the sexual misconduct and hazing that was alleged to have occurred, nor does it say when. A university spokesman said the alleged incidents did not take place at the same time.

An official warning means that, should any additional violations occur — whether a violation of Greek policies, the university's student code of conduct or specific fraternity chapters' risk management policies — all activities immediately will be suspended pending the conclusion of an investigation, according to the university statement.

Each alleged incident was immediately reported to the Milwaukee Police Department and the university's Department of Public Safety for investigation, officials said. The university investigation of these incidents is ongoing.

The Division of Student Affairs, which investigates students alleged to have violated the student code, has met with the leaders of each chapter and will lead additional sexual misconduct prevention training for the three chapters.

"We expect all of our students to uphold Marquette's Catholic and Jesuit values and to contribute to a safe and respectful environment, and we take any allegation of misconduct extremely seriously," Leatherwood said in the prepared statement.

University policy stipulates that if a student is found responsible for violating the university's conduct policy, disciplinary action will be taken. The results of these cases are confidential, a spokesman said.

All first-year Marquette University students are required to take a university-sponsored training in sexual violence prevention and bystander intervention, and efforts have been made to educate the entire campus, officials said. More than 6,400 students have been trained in the program in the past three years.

Read more from Journal Sentinel: http://www.jsonline.com/news/education/sexual-misconduct-hazing-alleged-at-marquette-fraternities-b99248588z1-255370551.html#ixzz2yzFrJZ3I
Ludum habemus.

🏀

• All American
Re: Sexual misconduct, hazing alleged at Marquette fraternities
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 03:00:29 PM »
Triangle? Were they getting freaky with their protractors?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 03:03:07 PM »
Next up: double secret probation!

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 03:09:27 PM »
Just gonna get this out there because I know a lot of you are all making assumptions. (Because thats what scoop is) Dont let a few bad eggs from these chapter dictate your view on Greek life as a whole. These are the people who would most likely be getting in trouble whether they were in a fraternity or not.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 03:17:29 PM »
A good read on fraternities from the February 2014 print edition of The Atlantic.

The Dark Power of Fraternities

http://www.theatlantic.com/features/archive/2014/02/the-dark-power-of-fraternities/357580/
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 07:40:04 AM by MU Fan in Connecticut »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 03:36:25 PM »
1.  Unfortunate.
2.  Marquette has fraternities?
3.   Somehow, Chicos is going to make this Buzz's fault. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 03:40:29 PM »
1.  Unfortunate.

In response to your sass for #2 yes and they are expanding next semester to add another one so becoming pretty prominent on campus. Sororities are adding another chapter too.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 03:42:46 PM »
1.  Unfortunate.
2.  Marquette has fraternities?
3.   Somehow, Chicos is going to make this Buzz's fault.  
4. Somehow, Ners is going to make this Derrick Wilson's fault.
5. ATK is going to say Cuonzo Martin should be in charge of the frats.
6. keefe is going to post pictures.
7. MikeDeanesDarkGlasses is going to post 12 replies in a hour that amount to nothing.

Added to the list.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 03:43:13 PM »
Just gonna get this out there because I know a lot of you are all making assumptions. (Because thats what scoop is) Dont let a few bad eggs from these chapter dictate your view on Greek life as a whole. These are the people who would most likely be getting in trouble whether they were in a fraternity or not.

1) I already have a negative view of Greek life, so these bad eggs don't sully it any further.
2) Somehow, Tower will blame me for not blaming it on Buzz
3) MU has fraternities?

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2014, 03:52:45 PM »
So the frats are finally having some fun
Bring back FFP!!!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2014, 03:54:40 PM »
1) I already have a negative view of Greek life, so these bad eggs don't sully it any further.
2) Somehow, Tower will blame me for not blaming it on Buzz
3) MU has fraternities?

Hey, we agree!
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

tower912

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2014, 04:00:40 PM »
As I was driving down fraternity row in Ann Arbor this past Friday afternoon, I was contemplating how happy I was that I went to a college at a time when the Greek system didn't really exist there.    As if on cue, a d-bag driving the Cadillac ATS his daddy must have bought him ran a stop sign, cut me off, and whipped his way into the driveway of one of these bastions of......whatever, jumped out wearing his pastel oxford, and ran wooooo-ing up to his brothers.     

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2014, 04:30:49 PM »
As I was driving down fraternity row in Ann Arbor this past Friday afternoon, I was contemplating how happy I was that I went to a college at a time when the Greek system didn't really exist there.    As if on cue, a d-bag driving the Cadillac ATS his daddy must have bought him ran a stop sign, cut me off, and whipped his way into the driveway of one of these bastions of......whatever, jumped out wearing his pastel oxford, and ran wooooo-ing up to his brothers.     

Go ahead and keep making vast generalizations there. I can assure you I dont even have a car let alone a Cadaillac. Nothing pisses me off more then generalizations. Youre no different then the kid from UWM who wrote that article about Marquette.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2014, 04:35:59 PM »
Go ahead and keep making vast generalizations there. I can assure you I dont even have a car let alone a Cadaillac. Nothing pisses me off more then generalizations. Youre no different then the kid from UWM who wrote that article about Marquette.

If you could look up the definition of ironic in the dictionary it would be greatly appreciated.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2014, 04:38:04 PM »
If you could look up the definition of ironic in the dictionary it would be greatly appreciated.

Please tell me how thats ironic. Really, I would actually like to know cause im not seeing it. I did not generalize in the slightest.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2014, 04:40:57 PM »
Please tell me how thats ironic. Really, I would actually like to know cause im not seeing it. I did not generalize in the slightest.

You were decrying generalization while then generalizing Tower as the same as a UWM hate writer.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2014, 04:41:08 PM »
This thread is turning into textbook WYC.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2014, 04:55:50 PM »

It isn't a generalization.   It is a real life experience.    Pastel oxford, wayfarers, Cadillac ATS, Woooooo-ing up to his buddies playing beer pong on the front lawn.   Yeah, its a cliché.   But it is what happened.   My wife and I, my daughter and her roommate, all had a good laugh at how this kid managed to live down to all of our expectations.   In my book, you are far ahead of the game because you chose Marquette.   

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2014, 05:15:39 PM »

Typically, people wait until someone has offended their nature before they get so sensitive. Kudos to you for getting out ahead of the imaginary persecution.

Perhaps some game tape of 2013-14 Creighton Bluejays will help?

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2014, 05:38:48 PM »
WWDWD?

Death on call

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2014, 06:04:15 PM »
1.  Unfortunate.

Greek life is about 10-15% of MUs campus in the past decade. Slight expansion recently but has never been core to student life.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2014, 06:11:32 PM »
I know that Greek life has risen at MU in the 5 years I've been here.  I'm not a fan of them personally I've found that many believe they run the school and essentially are the center of all party life.  Kind of annoying because if I were to list my top 50 parties each of my five years and five summers here none were frat affiliated.  But to each their own. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

mufaninpa

• Walk-On
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2014, 06:25:25 PM »
As a graduate of MU and a parent of a current MU student who belongs to a sorority, Greek life is growing at MU.  Greek life provides social opportunities for the student population.  Gone are the days of the underclassmen heading out to the bars, having wild floor parties, block parties, screw your roommates...the list could go on and on.  My daughter went to MU from a suburb of Philly essentially not knowing anyone and her transition to MU was bumpy.  She spent her first semester looking for something to do on the weekends and it consisted of sneaking drinks in McCormick or getting dressed to head out to a party only to get booted 15 minutes after arrival because DPS was on the way.  Not the MU you I knew and loved!!!  Honestly, getting involved in the sorority was the turning point for her.  The sorority has provided social, volunteer, leadership and employment opportunities for her.  When she failed to get elected to the Panhel board she was contacted by MU to run for a paid student government position and she was chosen for the position.  She also got a paid internship through a sorority sister.  No matter what group you belong to there are bad apples that do not represent what the overall group stands for.  Greek life at MU is not just rich kids driving their dad's car with pastel oxfords, it is a growing vital part of the MU experience.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2014, 06:39:58 PM »
As a graduate of MU and a parent of a current MU student who belongs to a sorority, Greek life is growing at MU.  Greek life provides social opportunities for the student population.  Gone are the days of the underclassmen heading out to the bars, having wild floor parties, block parties, screw your roommates...the list could go on and on.  My daughter went to MU from a suburb of Philly essentially not knowing anyone and her transition to MU was bumpy.  She spent her first semester looking for something to do on the weekends and it consisted of sneaking drinks in McCormick or getting dressed to head out to a party only to get booted 15 minutes after arrival because DPS was on the way.  Not the MU you I knew and loved!!!  Honestly, getting involved in the sorority was the turning point for her.  The sorority has provided social, volunteer, leadership and employment opportunities for her.  When she failed to get elected to the Panhel board she was contacted by MU to run for a paid student government position and she was chosen for the position.  She also got a paid internship through a sorority sister.  No matter what group you belong to there are bad apples that do not represent what the overall group stands for.  Greek life at MU is not just rich kids driving their dad's car with pastel oxfords, it is a growing vital part of the MU experience.

A few things:

I spent the majority of my time at MU going to bars after parties got broken up.  If your daughter wasn't going it's because she didn't have an ID or wasn't going to the right bars. 

Next, I've been to and thrown quite a few block parties in my time here.  I don't know if your daughter got the rough end of knowing upperclassmen before or what. 

But thank you for playing directly into my point with your last statement because see even parents think it's necessary and that MU sucks if you aren't involved in Greek life.  Yet I'd be happy to share my college photos which should prove quite to the contrary. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2014, 06:44:38 PM »
Was Mark Chmura or Colin Kaepernick at any of these parties?  I hope none of these parties had a Darren Sharper theme. 

feedback