[Today at 08:44:46 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by 4everwarriors
[Today at 08:25:23 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:04:21 PM]

Arby's National Roast Beef Day Deal by oldwarrior81
[Today at 05:24:39 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Impact hire  (Read 17731 times)

LAZER

• All American
Re: Impact hire
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2014, 11:35:57 AM »
Look at the last 50 hires by major DI programs....schools above or equal to Marquette.  From what I can tell, 42 of them were existing head coaches and not assistants.   There's a reason.

Do you have this list? I'm running them through my head, but I know i'm missing a ton of them.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2014, 11:40:10 AM »
Do you have this list? I'm running them through my head, but I know i'm missing a ton of them.

Sure, will post a little later....getting on Gondola with the kids to hit the powder in 5 minutes.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2014, 11:41:34 AM »
So was Mike Dean...

You're Damn Right I Was!!!  It's Deane..... by the way. 

Shack

• Starter
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2014, 11:41:53 AM »
Bob Dukiet flop was because it was a hire in July after Rick left us high and dry.  Mike Deane...not a flop, not great either.  He did more than Cuonzo Martin did and you were backing Martin.   ;)

It's riskier because its an unknown quantity.  Doesn't mean it won't work out, just riskier.  No different than hiring a VP, a CEO, etc.   Just common sense.  Experience is an asset, you pay for experience.  Doesn't mean experience works out always either, but we're just talking common sense here.

Look at the last 50 hires by major DI programs....schools above or equal to Marquette.  From what I can tell, 42 of them were existing head coaches and not assistants.   There's a reason.

So you're saying Wardle should have been the pick?  I think when Wojo leaves in 5 years it will be Wardle time.  I always thought Travis Diener would be a great Marquette coach when his playing career is done.  I do think continuity is more important to the program than hiring a hungry up and coming assistant.  I enjoy the success we've had the past 12 years but looking for a coach every 5 years is getting old.  You will lose a lot of fans that way and create uncertainty with recruits.  

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2014, 11:44:41 AM »
Time will tell if it works.  But as far as the process goes, it was do correctly

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2014, 11:44:52 AM »
Bob Dukiet flop was because it was a hire in July after Rick left us high and dry.  Mike Deane...not a flop, not great either.  He did more than Cuonzo Martin did and you were backing Martin.   ;)

Wasn't backing Martin - actually prefer the guy we got and would have preferred Howland - just disputed some of the erroneous information about him being posted here (i.e. he never recruited a top 100 player, etc.).
And yeah, Deane was a huge flop. Team got worse every year. Set the program way back.

It's riskier because its an unknown quantity.  Doesn't mean it won't work out, just riskier.  No different than hiring a VP, a CEO, etc.   Just common sense. 

Common sense is usually backed by facts. Where are the facts that say hiring a coach from a mid-major or lower program is safer than hiring a top assistant from a top program?

Because something is done more commonly doesn't mean it's better or more successful. Where's the data that says it's more successful?

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2014, 11:48:02 AM »
Because something is done more commonly doesn't mean it's better or more successful. Where's the data that says it's more successful?

I really can't wait to see that list, personally.  Not so much because of the 50 schools Chicos thinks are better than Marquette, but because I want to see who these 42 guys are (and the success they've had).
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2014, 11:53:01 AM »

Goose

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2014, 12:17:38 PM »
Not an impact hire by my definition. That said, I respect the process this time around and hope Wojo knocks it out of the park. MU fan my whole life and not changing that it over this hire.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 12:29:52 PM by Goose »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2014, 12:35:20 PM »
I'm OK with this.   Impact?   Meh.    I do know that anybody with head coaching experience who came here was going to leave the fanbase equally divided.      Their track record would be parsed over like a television show crime scene, focusing only on the negative to show.....   well, the same crap people are whining about with the Wojo hire.    This board just likes to kvetch. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2014, 12:43:40 PM »
Time will tell if this is a good short term selection but clearly we will be starting all over again in a few years. If he pans out another stepping stone, if he doesn't we will eventually figure that out. Either way no point in investing a lot of emotional connection here. Good luck to him. I have already lowered my expections.

⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2014, 12:49:42 PM »
What, did all that "influencing" go the wrong way for you?

Time will tell if this is a good short term selection but clearly we will be starting all over again in a few years. If he pans out another stepping stone, if he doesn't we will eventually figure that out. Either way no point in investing a lot of emotional connection here. Good luck to him. I have already lowered my expections.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2014, 01:00:26 PM »
"Risk" is really the key word.

An "impact hire" is someone who is a name; someone who has experience winning; someone who is a head coach; someone that doesn't carry nearly the amount of risk.

Assistant U, or Marquette, HAS done great with the assistant-model. The key is, this model has a ton more "risk" than the "impact hire". This time, I thought MU was at a place where they could make an impact hire. They tried once - Shaka - and then moved on. Kudos to them for at least trying. But non-kudos to them for quitting there. I dont' know who else they talked too, but...Chicos is right. We are Assistant U from here out. Just a fact.

Only hope is that...again...it works out for us in the long run.

That's the rub w/Wojo. Great pedigree...but after our success, man...you sure thought we'd have gotten a proven commodity.

mu72warrior

• Starter
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2014, 01:03:44 PM »
I hope he can recruit! as Al said in a interview, Duke doesn't recruit it chooses

hoyasincebirth

• Team Captain
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2014, 02:34:06 PM »
From an outside perspective I was hoping Marquette would make a splash with the hire. In my mind the conference was embarrassed when Buzz left one of our best programs for a clearly inferior program. I felt the only way to rectify this would be to hire a head coach from a major program away. It would've been really sweet to hire a coach away from the ACC, but pretty much all their coaches suck or are at places they wouldn't leave for Marquette: Duke, UNC, Syracuse, Pitt. Shaka would've been a huge victory for the conference.

Now in the long run what really matters is if he's successful and wins games. But in my opinion we lost the PR battle. At this point there's nothing to do but to support him and hope for the best.

thekahoona

• Starter
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2014, 02:39:49 PM »
Not an impact hire by my definition. That said, I respect the process this time around and hope Wojo knocks it out of the park. MU fan my whole life and not changing that it over this hire.
Same same.

This is where I am too. Let's see where this goes and I will be watching closely with high hopes but reasonable expectations ... (which I suppose makes the hire a good one in my case).

If it had been Howland (which was my choice), I would have high hopes and probably unreasonable expectations.

In balance, good on MU.

humanlung

• Team Captain
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2014, 02:40:54 PM »
Step one is nailing down Hill.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2014, 02:50:42 PM »

Bob Dukiet flop was because it was a hire in July after Rick left us high and dry. 

Bob Dukiet was a flop.  Rick left us after nearly every alum, fan and booster wanted to run him out of town and everyone was glad he left.

FIFY

The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2014, 06:53:26 PM »
So you're saying Wardle should have been the pick?  I think when Wojo leaves in 5 years it will be Wardle time.  I always thought Travis Diener would be a great Marquette coach when his playing career is done.  I do think continuity is more important to the program than hiring a hungry up and coming assistant.  I enjoy the success we've had the past 12 years but looking for a coach every 5 years is getting old.  You will lose a lot of fans that way and create uncertainty with recruits.  

Nope, never said Wardle would be the pick.  If you're going to hire a mid major coach, make damn sure he's accomplished something.  Brian hasn't yet.  So no, I would not signup for Brian.

I'm just disappointed we keep going through assistants, but when we are rebuffed by every top coach we go after, this is the deal.  Unfortunately, that does mean we get to go through this every 5 years or so.  And yes, it is getting old but I don't see MU ever being able to swing a major coach to come over which means it is either assistant coaches from top programs or trying to get a quality head coach from a mid major. 

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2014, 08:02:34 PM »
Nope, never said Wardle would be the pick.  If you're going to hire a mid major coach, make damn sure he's accomplished something.  Brian hasn't yet.  So no, I would not signup for Brian.

I'm just disappointed we keep going through assistants, but when we are rebuffed by every top coach we go after, this is the deal.  Unfortunately, that does mean we get to go through this every 5 years or so.  And yes, it is getting old but I don't see MU ever being able to swing a major coach to come over which means it is either assistant coaches from top programs or trying to get a quality head coach from a mid major. 

I think we said no to Counzo and Howland.  Obviously Shaka said no to us.  I really think Wojo was our 2nd choice.  This hire is growing on me. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2014, 08:07:55 PM »
Think this hire is an impact in the making.  I have high hopes for Wojo.

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2014, 08:52:27 PM »
Miles Simon said on ESPN during the NIT between games, that Wojo is a homerun hire for Marquette.

mechaghidorah

• Starter
« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2014, 08:57:03 PM »
If he keeps Hill and gets Stone, he's an impact hire.

deep vacuum

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2014, 09:08:41 PM »
If he keeps Hill and gets Stone, he's an impact hire.

After reading the Steve Taylor thread I believe we have the right guy if he is able to keep every returning player who was going to transfer had Buzz stayed.  I would'nt be surprised to see a couple of recruits who said no to MU & Buzz reconsider MU.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #49 on: April 01, 2014, 09:16:44 PM »
I think we said no to Counzo and Howland.  Obviously Shaka said no to us.  I really think Wojo was our 2nd choice.  This hire is growing on me. 

Agree.  Of realistic candidates that were pursued, only Shaka was ahead of him.  I was very worried Cords et. all would be stuck in 1999 and look for the candidate that fit as before but not necessarily now.  I'm starting to be glad they respected their own process and didn't choose someone else just to prove that fallacy wrong.