[Today at 12:21:27 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: And Then There Were 2...  (Read 14240 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
And Then There Were 2...
« on: March 31, 2014, 12:58:17 PM »
http://www.jrn.com/wtmj/wi-sports/Report-Marquette-search-down-to-two-major-candidates-253226751.html

Trebby says it is down to Wojo and Martin. He mentions Gary Parrish as the source but I couldn't find the original leak.

I'd say the smart money is on Wojo

EDIT: WRONG LINK!!!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 01:03:34 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

LAZER

• All American
Re: And Then There Were 2...
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 12:59:55 PM »
http://media.247sports.com/Uploads/Assets/280/870/870280.gif

Trebby says it is down to Wojo and Martin. He mentions Gary Parrish as the source but I couldn't find the original leak.

Hunt just had a tweet saying MU doesn't even have an interview scheduled with Wojo

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 01:00:49 PM »
Who knows what's true anymore...but if it truly is down to these two, my preference would be Wojo.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 01:01:44 PM »

Shouldn't have posted this man now you're going to get crucified by a million new posters.  
Maigh Eo for Sam

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 01:02:28 PM »

The link is to a gif of the banhammer lol

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 01:03:51 PM »
The link is to a gif of the banhammer lol

Whoops, edited
TAMU

Sharpie

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2014, 01:03:58 PM »
He said it "could" be down to two. He didn't say it was down to two.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2014, 01:05:18 PM »
He said it "could" be down to two. He didn't say it was down to two.

Sounds like just the time for an "insider" to leak a few new names!

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2014, 01:06:19 PM »
Again, what is the point of listening to any "insiders" any more? I won't believe anything until MU makes an official announcement.

Litehouse

• All American

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2014, 01:07:14 PM »
Who knows what's true anymore...but if it truly is down to these two, my preference would be Wojo.
Astonishing.

Shark

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2014, 01:07:28 PM »
Martin will be named the coach either tomorrow or Wednesday when his buyout goes down. Atleast that seems like the most likely outcome. We've heard nothing but silence and rumors surrounding Martin for the last couple days, and the delay could very well be just a stall for his buyout to go down.

DienerTime34

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2014, 01:10:40 PM »
I could really go for one of those Keefe word mysteries right now.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2014, 01:10:57 PM »
Martin will be named the coach either tomorrow or Wednesday when his buyout goes down. Atleast that seems like the most likely outcome. We've heard nothing but silence and rumors surrounding Martin for the last couple days, and the delay could very well be just a stall for his buyout to go down.

Not sure why Howland is still being mentioned in that CBS Sports article. Lazy reporting?

Shark

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2014, 01:13:42 PM »
Not sure why Howland is still being mentioned.

I think MU is afraid of Howland. You look at the current state of the roster and you can see that there's not a whole lot of room for transfers. Martin isn't sexy to us fans, but the players would love that signing. Howland would scare away recruits initially and would likely make a lot of the current guys shaky. MU needs a guy that can retain some recruits and keep the current guys on board, and I think Martin is the best bet for that.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2014, 01:15:22 PM »
Not sure why Howland is still being mentioned in that CBS Sports article. Lazy reporting?

The admin likes Wojo and Martin better than Howland. Should Wojo and Martin fall through for whatever reason, they will probably go with Howland.
TAMU

Milwarriorkee

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2014, 01:15:58 PM »
It's amazing how far our list of candidates has fallen within about a week.  We went to Shaka/Howland to Martin/Wojo.  I do believe that Cords did attempt to aim high, but this is a realistic indication of the demand of the Marquette job.  Fans have an over valued perception of their own program, and I fear that is the case with us.  Go to the Wake Forest boards, and they seem to think their vacancy is the best in the country right now, too.  

The risk in hiring one of these candidates is great.  Their potential for failure is the same as it was when we hired Brent Williams, who was unproven, but he inherited a much better situation (i.e. the amigos and the old big east).  I don't expect either one of these candidates to hold on to our recruits.  In the case of Wojo, I don't think it is realistic to expect any players to follow him here.  

Finally, either one of these guys will likely move on in about 5 years if they have success at MU.  That is the best case scenario for us.  If they fail, I shudder to think what type of candidates we will be looking at in the next coaching search.  

Shark

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2014, 01:17:04 PM »
It's amazing how far our list of candidates has fallen within about a week.  We went to Shaka/Howland to Martin/Wojo.  I do believe that Cords did attempt to aim high, but this is a realistic indication of the demand of the Marquette job.  Fans have an over valued perception of their own program, and I fear that is the case with us.  Go to the Wake Forest boards, and they seem to think their vacancy is the best in the country right now, too.  

The risk in hiring one of these candidates is great.  Their potential for failure is the same as it was when we hired Brent Williams, who was unproven, but he inherited a much better situation (i.e. the amigos and the old big east).  I don't expect either one of these candidates to hold on to our recruits.  In the case of Wojo, I don't think it is realistic to expect any players to follow him here.  

Finally, either one of these guys will likely move on in about 5 years if they have success at MU.  That is the best case scenario for us.  If they fail, I shudder to think what type of candidates we will be looking at in the next coaching search.  

Well if you look at the facts, MU is by far the best coaching vacancy. It's really not even close.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2014, 01:18:11 PM »
On Katz corner today, Katz identifies Martin as MU's # 1 target.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2014, 01:19:57 PM »

We may indeed overvalue this job.  However, keep in mind that Andy Katz explicitly stated that this is the best job opening in the country.  He also said that Ben Howland called us immediately and was "very interested."  I don't recall reading the same thing about the Wake Forest job.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2014, 01:20:07 PM »

We did fall, from Smart.

In my opinion, the candidate tiers were:

1) Smart
2) Martin/Wojo/Howland/Miller/Manning
3) Everyone else
TAMU

BlindboyPatSmith

• Starter
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2014, 01:20:29 PM »
John Wooden just tweeted he is NOT interested in the Marquette job....

chapman

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2014, 01:20:48 PM »
Impact hire. 

Nobody said it had to be a positive impact.

trebby123

• Walk-On
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2014, 01:22:14 PM »
I'm yet to hear that Howland is out of it, and I have a tough time believing he actually is. Was just relaying what Parrish has heard, since he is likely more "in the know" than me on the search.

Also, I approve the link that was originally posted :)

Shark

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2014, 01:23:07 PM »
Impact hire. 

Nobody said it had to be a positive impact.

Martin would be slightly positive. He's not Smart, but he would have all hands on deck instantly.

feedback