Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

What do Wisconsinites call people from Illinois? by TSmith34, Inc.
[Today at 03:14:46 PM]

More conference realignment talk by brewcity77
[Today at 02:56:46 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Pepe Sylvia
[Today at 02:19:12 PM]

Recruiting as of 6/15/24 by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:29:07 PM]

NM by 4everwarriors
[Today at 10:37:41 AM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Uncle Rico
[Today at 10:15:40 AM]

MU all-time defensive team? by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:44:45 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: For the Anti-Martin people  (Read 16223 times)

WadeATKBurton

• All American
For the Anti-Martin people
« on: March 31, 2014, 12:17:31 PM »
For those of you who thinks Martin wont do this program any good.  Has any of you thought about what the PROGRAM/SCHOOL can do for Martin? With the resources we have, the money we spend, great tradition as well. Martin will excel here at Marquette! Have we ever had a coach who played in the NBA? This guy WANTS to come here and you guys are being downright disrespectful to this man's credentials like hes not "worthy" enough to be our next coach. Ponder on that before you comment/reply

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
Re: For the Anti-Martin people
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 12:22:20 PM »
For those of you who thinks Martin wont do this program any good.  Has any of you thought about what the PROGRAM/SCHOOL can do for Martin? With the resources we have, the money we spend, great tradition as well. Martin will excel here at Marquette! Have we ever had a coach who played in the NBA? This guy WANTS to come here and you guys are being downright disrespectful to this man's credentials like hes not "worthy" enough to be our next coach. Ponder on that before you comment/reply

We have pondered Martin in several different threads already.  Why do we need another one?  Why does someone need to be @ MU to succeed?  They should be able to succeed already.  What is Martin going to do?  Recruit players with his 3 game stint as a Buck?  I'm sure that recruiting spiel would go a long way.  That's probably the exact reason that he cannot consistently get solid talent.  Take away Bruce Pearl's Seniors on the team and what do you have left?  Can you answer that question? 

humanlung

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 12:24:44 PM »
[/quote

I don't think playing in the NBA has any bearing on NCAA coaching success.  Coach K never played.  Jim Boeheim and Rick Pitino didn't, either.

Clyde Drexler did but that didn't work out so well.  Neither did Isiah Thomas.  

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 12:25:07 PM »
Got Al from Belmont Abbey, promoted Hank from assistant, promoted Rick from assistant, got Dukiet from St. Peter's, got Kevin O'Neill from Arizona as an assistant, got Mike Deane from Siena, got Crean as an assistant from MSU, promoted Buzz from assistant.

Yet poaching an SEC coach fresh off an S16 with high level college playing experience and a cup of coffee in the NBA is looked upon as a travesty by some. Some people's perspective is quite humorous.

WadeATKBurton

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 12:31:49 PM »
Well fellas let me tell you this then I'll be done with it: Like Barack is our PRESIDENT, CUONZO is our coach so we better respect the man!

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 12:33:58 PM »
Done Deal?

mikekinsellaMVP

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2014, 12:34:46 PM »
Not anti-Martin.  Like many here, I just want the best guy for the job, whoever that may be.

But dude, give it a rest.  Martin rumors pop up on the 26th, and so does your account.  Whether you're truly a Cuonzo supporter or a jaded Vols fan, at least make it a conversation instead of just spouting inane volumes of gibberish and calling out anyone who has the right to question his candidacy.

WadeATKBurton

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2014, 12:34:54 PM »
Done Deal?

However you wanna spin it bruh

Sharpie

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2014, 12:35:35 PM »
Well fellas let me tell you this then I'll be done with it: Like Barack is our PRESIDENT, CUONZO is our coach so we better respect the man!

This makes no sense whatsoever.

I'm not saying cuonzo Martin is a bad choice or a good choice for that matter. I think MU will make the right decision and put whoever is our next coach in a great spot to succeed given our resources and dedication to basketball.

But you are acting like the dude is john wooden. Relax and don't post until the acid wears off fella. (Not sure I can call you fella because you seem to be entering your teenage years)

WadeATKBurton

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2014, 12:36:03 PM »
Not anti-Martin.  Like many here, I just want the best guy for the job, whoever that may be.

But dude, give it a rest.  Martin rumors pop up on the 26th, and so does your account.  Whether you're truly a Cuonzo supporter or a jaded Vols fan, at least make it a conversation instead of just spouting inane volumes of gibberish and calling out anyone who has the right to question his candidacy.

Been lurking since 08, but ok

Wade for President

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2014, 12:41:22 PM »

Dude...we get it.  You like Cuonzo (who knows, maybe you are Cuonzo).  You've chimed in on countless threads endorsing the hire.

Give.  It.  A.  Rest.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2014, 12:41:33 PM »

Wait - we have to respect someone simply because they're chosen for their position?  Someone should have told that to the Buzz critics this past season...or the IU fans ripping on Crean...or the thousands of UT fans who tried to get Cuonzo fired.

Respect has to be earned...not decreed by the BOT.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2014, 12:47:12 PM »
Wait - we have to respect someone simply because they're chosen for their position?  Someone should have told that to the Buzz critics this past season...or the IU fans ripping on Crean...or the thousands of UT fans who tried to get Cuonzo fired.

Respect has to be earned...not decreed by the BOT.

I agree. But I think a base level of respect should be expected. I won't declare the new coach a savior, but I also won't assume he will fail. He starts in the middle and his accomplishments from that point on will determine his legacy at Marquette.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

RyanConroy

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2014, 12:48:44 PM »
atk13thst IS Cuonzo Martin.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2014, 12:52:48 PM »

And if he says done deal well then.... he literally IS the source

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2014, 12:54:16 PM »

He clearly wants the job.

Boozemon Barro

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2014, 12:57:01 PM »
My concern is his recruiting record. Maybe he could hire assistants that are top notch recruiters to make up for it. This certainly wouldn't feel like the "impact" hire many on here have promised.

RyanConroy

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2014, 12:57:08 PM »
After all, building positive relationships on the Scoop is the primary ingredient for a coach to have success as MU.

RyanConroy

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2014, 12:58:13 PM »
My concern is his recruiting record. Maybe he could hire assistants that are top notch recruiters to make up for it. This certainly wouldn't feel like the "impact" hire many on here have promised.

Cuonzo would still be an impact hire, just a negative impact rather than a positive one.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2014, 01:02:55 PM »
May be the quickest timeline from creating an account to being ignored, for my ignore list at least.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2014, 01:08:47 PM »

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2014, 01:10:23 PM »
Now that is funny.  Well done!

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2014, 01:12:00 PM »
I agree. But I think a base level of respect should be expected. I won't declare the new coach a savior, but I also won't assume he will fail. He starts in the middle and his accomplishments from that point on will determine his legacy at Marquette.

I will still buy season tix, and still cheer for MU to win...under whomever is hired.  I have never booed or hoped for failure by any MU player or active coach.  If that's what you mean by "base level of respect," then I agree.

But to me, real repect is something that has to be earned...day in and day out.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2014, 01:16:19 PM »
As I sit on a chair lift pondering MU...yes, sad, but it is a 2.5 mile ride which takes some time....I ask myself how excited I would be about hiring a guy that made zero NCAA bids his first five years and in his sixth he made it as a play in team and beat a team that was coached by someone who had his kid in surgery for cancer less than 15 hours before the game.  Not sure how focused Fran was.

I want to believe, I'm just struggling with that many years why more success didn't happen.

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2014, 01:17:03 PM »
If atk13thst is Cuonzo Martin, then his writing skills and temperament are on par with his recruiting ability.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"