Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

ā€œIā€™m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.ā€ -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Time To Bury The Hatchet MUSCOOP  (Read 26325 times)

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
Re: Time To Bury The Hatchet MUSCOOP
« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2014, 01:30:51 PM »
Shaven Melissa is feisty and a drinker.  I like that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2014, 01:42:48 PM »
Will you ever know what it's like to get called that by a guy in a patriarchal society, in all seriousness? Unless you're thinking of spending loads of money on a sex change it's not likely. Thus as guys we won't ever know the full extent of the effect that has as an insult.  Maybe you might have an opinion but it's always going to be from a male perspective which will never be fully informed about how it feels, closest we could come to understanding would be seeing a daughter, sister, mother, wife get called it. 

In the interest of fairness, it should be pointed out that the "c" word was not used alone but was modified with smelly which in my mind was intended to and indeed ratcheted up the offensiveness of the term.

We are in the same boat regarding knowing what its like to be female in a patriarchal society.  We're both relying on our interactions with those women we are close with (and maybe some scholarly sources) to try to comprehend what the impact of the word is.  I have had the experience of knowing women who were victims of domestic violence, and in one case one to whom the possibility of a hatchet to the face was not remote.  To someone who has met with actual violence a demeaning term is little compared with any verbal description of violence against another human being.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2014, 01:57:12 PM »
Shaven Melissa is feisty and a drinker.  I like that.

She's never bland, that's for sure.  She's passionate and not afraid to express herself umm, creatively.  Her posts can certainly shake things up.  The hatchet thingy shook up this kitten a little too much.  Oh well, onwards and (hopefully) upwards.

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2014, 02:00:37 PM »
She's never bland, that's for sure.  She's passionate and not afraid to express herself umm, creatively.  Her posts can certainly shake things up.  The hatchet thingy shook up this kitten a little too much.  Oh well, onwards and (hopefully) upwards.

With Shaven Melissa, it's always upwards.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2014, 02:04:51 PM »
To someone who has met with actual violence a demeaning term is little compared with any verbal description of violence against another human being.

Well, speaking as one who has suffered extreme physical violence I still think that hurling the c word at a woman is uncalled for in every instance. On days like today, with rain in the air, I can feel those little bits of metal inside me but what was said about Melissa triggered a far more visceral reaction than any memory of combat. Some things are just not said or done.

Death on call

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 31, 2014, 02:08:02 PM »
Well, speaking as one who has suffered extreme physical violence I still think that hurling the c word at a woman is uncalled for in every instance. On days like today, with rain in the air, I can feel those little bits of metal inside me but what was said about Melissa triggered a far more visceral reaction than any memory of combat. Some things are just not said or done.

You have experience, that -thank, God-I never expect to have.  Thanks for the added perspective.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2014, 02:49:40 PM »
Just read this thread.

WTF

Time to leave Scoop for a while

brandx

« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2014, 05:09:57 PM »
We have no disagreement about StoneCold, his ban was well earned.  Buzz is a public figure and not present on this board, so you have a valid point that Mellissasmooth was not making a personal attack on another poster which is what StoneCold did do.  Still, for me,

"Yeah if we can bury the hatchet in the middle of Brent's Deliverance-like Inbred Curly unnatural carnal knowledge face."

is also out-of-bounds and likely calculated to get any number of scoopers upset.  StoneCold's upset was understandable, his response was totally inappropriate and only escalated the situation.  We all (probably) know what word gets translated as "unnatural carnal knowledge" by the board's software.  When it comes to use of the "c" word, I'm as milquetoast as they come.  I'm sure that like the male undergraduates at Marquette, Melissa would find me to be a kitten.  The "c" word is no word to use around ladies.  I also think that Melissasmooth has no legitimate claim to the lady title, or even any desire to make such a claim.

Pretty much agree, but I think if you gave her an ax, and put her in a room with Buzz, nothing would happen; his comment was much more literal and meant to try to hurt on a personal level.

And as someone else said, I hate to defend her, cuz I've seen very few of her posts I would agree with.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2014, 08:24:39 PM »
Gentlemen, gentlemen.  As far as I can tell there are exactly two ladies on this board.  One is my wife of 26 years and the other is roughly my daughter's age.  Both are seemingly tough minded women who can stand up for themselves and enjoy partaking in the banter, even when the occasional innuendo is harmlessly thrown in.  But let's understand there's a limit.  I for one hope Stone's ban is permanent.  Totally uncalled for.  Thanks for letting me chime in.

Now let's argue some more about Derrick at PG.  Okay, I feel better.   

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #59 on: March 31, 2014, 09:21:45 PM »
80% chance merissa is some dude masquerading as a chick on Scoop. How could we tell from our computer screens? Hell, most people can't tell if ZFB is a guy or gal when they meet it in person.

I'll be on campus briefly in two weeks - merissa, meet me in the union to verify your existence.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #60 on: March 31, 2014, 09:45:16 PM »
80% chance merissa is some dude masquerading as a chick on Scoop. How could we tell from our computer screens? Hell, most people can't tell if ZFB is a guy or gal when they meet it in person.

I'll be on campus briefly in two weeks - merissa, meet me in the union to verify your existence.

I will be there too. I will keep an eye on JB. 

🏀

• All American
« Reply #61 on: March 31, 2014, 10:04:27 PM »
Women also hate the word moist.

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #62 on: March 31, 2014, 10:25:08 PM »
Wait.  I hate that word too.  And scrumptious.  And any Carl's Jr/Hardee's Ad.  I hate the sound of eating amplified.  Have never gone and never will due to those freakin commercials.

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #63 on: March 31, 2014, 10:27:58 PM »
We have no disagreement about StoneCold, his ban was well earned.  Buzz is a public figure and not present on this board, so you have a valid point that Mellissasmooth was not making a personal attack on another poster which is what StoneCold did do.  Still, for me,

"Yeah if we can bury the hatchet in the middle of Brent's Deliverance-like Inbred Curly unnatural carnal knowledge face."

is also out-of-bounds and likely calculated to get any number of scoopers upset.  StoneCold's upset was understandable, his response was totally inappropriate and only escalated the situation.  We all (probably) know what word gets translated as "unnatural carnal knowledge" by the board's software.  When it comes to use of the "c" word, I'm as milquetoast as they come.  I'm sure that like the male undergraduates at Marquette, Melissa would find me to be a kitten.  The "c" word is no word to use around ladies.  I also think that Melissasmooth has no legitimate claim to the lady title, or even any desire to make such a claim.

Pretty good summary. To me, it sounds like a student (right?) pissed off Stone with what Stone thought was an undue entitled opinion, Stone reacted.

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #64 on: March 31, 2014, 10:32:59 PM »

The Smooth One's name is Melissa, not Merissa. They hate when you call them by the wrong name, especially in the morning.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #65 on: March 31, 2014, 10:33:46 PM »

Some photos would be nice. She also substantiate the smoothness claim.

Death on call

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #66 on: March 31, 2014, 10:34:45 PM »
Pretty good summary. To me, it sounds like a student (right?) pissed off Stone with what Stone thought was an undue entitled opinion, Stone reacted.

Nope, Stone was out of bounds.  Period.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #67 on: March 31, 2014, 10:41:10 PM »
Nope, Stone was out of bounds.  Period.

He was so far over the line

Maigh Eo for Sam

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #68 on: March 31, 2014, 10:55:42 PM »
The Smooth One's name is Melissa, not Merissa.

Not in Japan

Death on call

feedback