Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

ā€œIā€™m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.ā€ -Field of 68 by MUbiz
[Today at 11:08:53 AM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[May 31, 2024, 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[May 31, 2024, 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[May 31, 2024, 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Dick Strong Does Not Want Howland?  (Read 17162 times)

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
Re: Dick Strong Does Not Want Howland
« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2014, 04:45:32 PM »
It would have been interesting to listen to Strong and Buzz have a conversation.  Something tells me that it would have been the most interesting conversation about shoe laces known to mankind. 

Strong: Your shoes are untied.
Buzz:  Shoelaces are what tie our lives together.  They are our foundation for finding success.  An untied shoelace causes a man to fall.
Strong:  That's nice, but they are really untied.
Buzz:  It is only when we trip and fall that our true character is revealed.
Strong:  So... you'll leave them untied then?
Buzz:  I'm a grinder.

WadeATKBurton

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2014, 04:50:07 PM »
Buzz:  Shoelaces are what tie our lives together.  They are our foundation for finding success.  An untied shoelace causes a man to fall.

Cant believe u just wrote a narrative.  You must be bored man lol

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2014, 04:50:36 PM »
How does one make a billion dollars?  Answer, by zigging when everyone else zags.  By going left (or right) when the world goes right (or left).  By doing these differently and taking the risk and willing to be lonely as no one thinks it will work.

So yes they are eccentric by nature ("eccentric" because they made a billion dollars, "nuts" if they do not).  He will make more money during that interview talking about shoes than some will make in a lifetime.  So if that is how he works, and his bank account has nine zeros, how can you argue with it?
you can talk to many people that know dick strong well and they'll tell you how he made his money.  there's a reason he's not dealing in securities anymore.  

humanlung

• Team Captain
« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2014, 04:54:02 PM »
you can talk to many people that know dick strong well and they'll tell you how he made his money.  there's a reason he's not dealing in securities anymore.  

I am certain it has something to do with that lifetime ban handed to him by the SEC (not the one where they play great football).

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2014, 04:54:52 PM »

He's been banned from the industry for "market timing" trades.  Eliot Spitzer (aka client number 9) brought him down.

He lost most of his money and then started baraboo and made most of it back.

You could start the guy with zero today and he will be worth hundreds of millions in a few years.

He knows how to make money.  That he is good at.

humanlung

• Team Captain
« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2014, 04:57:38 PM »
He's been banned from the industry for "market timing" trades.  Eliot Spitzer (aka client number 9) brought him down.

He lost most of his money and then started baraboo and made most of it back.

You could start the guy with zero today and he will be worth hundreds of millions in a few years.

He knows how to make money.  That he is good at.

That's not true.  He had an offer to sell Strong Capital for close to $1.0 billion from a firm in the UK.  This pre-dated the Spitzer stuff.  Post Spitzer, he had to sell and Wells Fargo was the buyer.  I have heard the number was around $600 million.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
Re: Dick Strong Does Not Want Howland?
« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2014, 04:58:02 PM »
Respect the dick.

Heard he has an affinity for Mike Hunt. (sorry)

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 28, 2014, 04:59:51 PM »
You forgot that I also said MU would make the tourney.  So get it right!!!

+1. Well-played, sir.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 28, 2014, 05:00:43 PM »
Dick Strong = Happy from Blue Chips????????

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #59 on: March 28, 2014, 05:00:54 PM »
I don't know, one thing that concerned me about that SI article was that BH is apparently a ridiculous control freak - yelling at assistants and team managers for things like the temperature in the film room or how cold the water bottles are.  Maybe its not all true but if he turns out to be another arrogant eccentric type we could have another falling out in a couple years.

Crazy attention to detail is a part of genius. One of those double edged sword situations.

I've heard stories from former Strong Fund employees that all of the screws on door hinges were perfectly aligned and symmetrical.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 05:03:21 PM by Avenue Commons »
We Are Marquette

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #60 on: March 28, 2014, 05:04:17 PM »
[/quote

Strong:  Buzz...... I, I, I, just can't get passed how you leave them untied. *wipes away sweat*  I......I need to tie them.  They're making me feel .... unclean.  

Buzz:  Mr. Strong, you're a smarter man than I am.  I can tie my laces, but if you take the ST out of your name, then you know how I feel about this matter.  

Strong:  *face gets redder*  Tie the damn laces!!!  

Buzz:  I'm humbled by your passion Mr. Strong.  I feel as if you are the backbone of the Marquette community.

Strong:  Buzz...... I, I, I, just can't get passed how you leave them untied. *wipes away sweat*  I......I need to tie them.  They're making me feel .... unclean.  

Buzz:  Mr. Strong, you're a smarter man than I am.  I can tie my laces, but if you take the ST out of your name, then you know how I feel about this matter.  

Buzz:  I'm humbled by your passion Mr. Strong.  I feel as if you are the backbone of the Marquette community.

thekahoona

• Starter
« Reply #61 on: March 28, 2014, 05:16:22 PM »

that's awesome.

Marquette_g

• All American
  • Gonna Get Some Cold Cuts Today
« Reply #62 on: March 28, 2014, 05:19:49 PM »
Dick Strong should be in MU basketball Hall of Fame. He has made more happen than the two previous coaches combined.

+ whatever is the maximim

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #63 on: March 28, 2014, 05:27:43 PM »
Does this guy control everything? Not buying it. he had to approve Buzz, then approved him leaving, and now gets to approve the new hire.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #64 on: March 28, 2014, 05:37:19 PM »
I think main things against Howland is ability to recruit and relate to kids, his age, UCLA mess he was part of and wanting too much money probably. No idea if Strong or anyone is anti Howland but think if they wanted him it would be done already.

Howland landed the top class in the nation less than two years ago.
But maybe kids have changed a lot in the past 20 months.

And none of you have the first clue what Dick Strong wants.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 05:39:05 PM by Pakuni »

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #65 on: March 28, 2014, 05:38:32 PM »
But maybe have changed a lot in the past 20 months.

AMEN

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #66 on: March 28, 2014, 05:39:29 PM »
But maybe have changed a lot in the past 20 months.

Yeeeeahhh buddy!

SWARM!

• Starter
« Reply #67 on: March 28, 2014, 05:39:36 PM »
Live strong. Dick strong.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #68 on: March 28, 2014, 05:40:59 PM »
Dick Strong is a winner and I hope he has a major, major say  in the process.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #69 on: March 28, 2014, 05:45:21 PM »
Dick Strong is a winner and I hope he has a major, major say  in the process.

As long as he wants Howland.  Otherwise he's a loser and I hope he has zero, zilch say in the process.   :D

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #70 on: March 28, 2014, 06:01:29 PM »
If Cuonzo is Marquette's (current) favorite, do we root for or against Tennessee?  Do we want him hired sooner or experience more success?

brandx

« Reply #71 on: March 28, 2014, 06:08:41 PM »
How does one make a billion dollars?  Answer, by zigging when everyone else zags.  By going left (or right) when the world goes right (or left).  By doing these differently and taking the risk and willing to be lonely as no one thinks it will work.

So yes they are eccentric by nature ("eccentric" because they made a billion dollars, "nuts" if they do not).  He will make more money during that interview talking about shoes than some will make in a lifetime.  So if that is how he works, and his bank account has nine zeros, how can you argue with it?

Well, the point of an interview is to get to know what the interviewee is all about. To find out what is between the lines. If you want to know his skill level, just look at the resume.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #72 on: March 28, 2014, 06:09:51 PM »
Do we have a fallback re: Martin if the Vols make the FF? Can't see him leaving if that happens

Logi4three

• Team Captain
« Reply #73 on: March 28, 2014, 06:11:40 PM »
So Dick Strong told you that Dick Strong does not like Ben Howland and you are looking here for confirmation that this is true?

Does he talk in the third person like Bob Dole?  

[p.s. I can't resist and hate myself for this but, for anyone in Kenosha, Bob Dole was a senator and ran for president. ; )  Just kidding KW and hope you know I am just joking.  I have much respect for you and what you do.  God bless you.  

brandx

« Reply #74 on: March 28, 2014, 06:11:55 PM »
Do we have a fallback re: Martin if the Vols make the FF? Can't see him leaving if that happens

I think Martin would leave Tennessee in a second no matter what happens in the tournament.