[Today at 10:34:23 AM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by withoutbias
[Today at 10:29:19 AM]

NM by tower912
[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 24, 2024, 09:57:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: "Buzz should be fired immediately."  (Read 16244 times)

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
Re: "Buzz should be fired immediately."
« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2014, 04:07:58 PM »
It's all about the system. Wiggins "struggled"  because they didn't have a PG to run Self's system. (Of course, that is Self's fault). The good recruiter's aren't necessarily the guys who get top 100 players, but the guys who can project the good players into the system that they run.

I will agree with that.  But now you bring up the point of.........what system was Buzz running?  This past year's team was a drastic change.  This tells me that Buzz was recruiting towards talent level and not anything specific towards a system.  Let's face it, we have had quite a few different styles of teams during his tenure here.  

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2014, 04:21:19 PM »
You are hopeless.  So only your talent evaluation matters?  Than why discuss it?  Just sit there quiet with your own thoughts.....

Scouting services who watch these kids multiple times in high school, AAU, etc..=Don't matter
I personally have seen Burton, Du. Wilson, and Fischer a dozen times each in high school=Don't matter
MikeDeanesDarkGlasses=Matters

No, not only my talent evaluation matters.  What matters is that you haven't brought up any legitimate points or backed your claims with any evidence.  Based on your theory you're saying MU has an NCAA tourney team the next 2 years with a very young team.  Most of these young players haven't played significant or any minutes for that matter.  Based on the history of top 100 players under Buzz's reign, they haven't played much in their first 2 season, or made that many significant contributions.  This would imply that the sophomores and freshman of 2014 won't have much of an impact.  Let's face it, in order to win tournament games you usually need future NBA talent on your roster.  We don't have any of that in our junior/senior ranks.  You're implying that the sophomore class will step up significantly......and that a few of recruits of the freshman class would have to play at 5 star level.  That's the only way, we would make the tourney......

This is a level of optimism not seen since Cheney declared that Iraq had WMD's.....

nycwarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2014, 08:49:59 PM »
Back to Buzz tanking this year. I don't buy that Buzz would intentionally give up on this year because giving up wasn't in his best interest.

If you know you're going to be looking for another job, don't you sharpen up your résumé?  So just when Buzz wants to keep his resume sharp, he lose his top three guards from last year and the top backcourt newcomer.

So, he doesn't give up on the season, he does the opposite. He starts making decisions that you otherwise might not.

For instance, you may choose to play a steady but hugely limited PG over risking investing in moving a 2 guard over or playing a freshman who might improve for a future you won't be around to see.

If you've asked a kid to come back (say Jake) when he had a foot out the door might you choose to play that kid over a freshman who might help next year. After all, if JJJ leaves, so be it.

You might also give in to your existing instinct for over coaching in a panicky attempt to cover up your team's flaws.

I honestly don't think Buzz wanted to lose a single game. But he sure might have made decisions in an attempt to get a new job.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2014, 08:55:06 PM »
To insinuate Buzz intentionally lost games or "tanked" just to prove a point is insulting.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2014, 08:58:09 PM »
To insinuate Buzz intentionally lost games or "tanked" just to prove a point is insulting.

As was it an insult to be a witness and have to endure his coaching this past season - as a fan, and as players on that team with all the hyper manic substitutions..and continued insistence to play in his own words:  4 on 5 offensively.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 09:14:08 PM by Ners »
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2014, 09:04:34 PM »
When you look back on the season, it all makes sense now. He knew he was going to leave (anywhere would do, hence VT) and had absolutely no allegiance to the underclassmen. He played who he had allegiance to and at the end Deonte Burton because he had to (he is that good). There is no other way to see this. The whole season never made sense to me until he left and then it became all to clear. Buzz checked out....
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2014, 09:09:07 PM »
When you look back on the season, it all makes sense now. He knew he was going to leave (anywhere would do, hence VT) and had absolutely no allegiance to the underclassmen. He played who he had allegiance to and at the end Deonte Burton because he had to (he is that good). There is no other way to see this. The whole season never made sense to me until he left and then it became all to clear. Buzz checked out....

+1000 and great avatar - loved Hutch.  Gotta change mine.

Back to Buzz tanking this year. I don't buy that Buzz would intentionally give up on this year because giving up wasn't in his best interest.

If you know you're going to be looking for another job, don't you sharpen up your résumé?  So just when Buzz wants to keep his resume sharp, he lose his top three guards from last year and the top backcourt newcomer.

So, he doesn't give up on the season, he does the opposite. He starts making decisions that you otherwise might not.

For instance, you may choose to play a steady but hugely limited PG over risking investing in moving a 2 guard over or playing a freshman who might improve for a future you won't be around to see.

If you've asked a kid to come back (say Jake) when he had a foot out the door might you choose to play that kid over a freshman who might help next year. After all, if JJJ leaves, so be it.

You might also give in to your existing instinct for over coaching in a panicky attempt to cover up your team's flaws.

I honestly don't think Buzz wanted to lose a single game. But he sure might have made decisions in an attempt to get a new job.

Nicely done...probably a better account/take than mine...
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Logi4three

• Team Captain
« Reply #57 on: March 28, 2014, 09:19:39 PM »
In the following article from VCU the writer asks folks to dismiss Buzz's tantrum that led to the dismissal of one of their better players unless you actually show up to the games (enough with the fake VCU bball fans). 

http://www.gobblercountry.com/2014/3/28/5555766/virginia-tech-hokies-basketball-marquette--why-buzz-williams-isnt-exactly-who-you-think-he-is

marquetteff03

• Starter
« Reply #58 on: March 28, 2014, 09:23:36 PM »
Agree on checking out, I'm a diehard and for the first time ever I literally was numb to MU losing. I felt indifferent about the outcome, there was something about this team, lack of fire, heart and swagger. They didn't have it. Perhaps a reflection of the coach or due to lack of a vocal leader. The upperclassmen have less emotion than recent years. I feel the fans at the BC also followed suit.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #59 on: March 29, 2014, 09:55:13 AM »
It's actually not hard now to figure out when the players figured out something was up.  It was when Jamil stopped hustling and when Mayo started playing like a man.  Mayo had next year's coach to impress (and he did, with his last 8-10 games) and Jamil had, literally, nothing to play for. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #60 on: March 29, 2014, 10:27:25 AM »
Jamil did not stop hustling, he was jerked around. Having to learn point forward in your senior year will make you question everything, including your own abilities.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

Doo

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #61 on: March 29, 2014, 10:48:52 AM »
I checked out after the first 5 minutes of the 1st Creighton game. Letting a team that relies on the 3-point shot to shoot 13 threes before 5 minutes were off the clock told me his head wasn't in the game this year.
Totally agree.  So much is said about our pathetic offense but I think defensively this team sucked.  We couldn't "switch" and teams constantly swung the ball around the perimeter on us and found the wide-open man for the easy three.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #62 on: March 29, 2014, 10:55:26 AM »
As was it an insult to be a witness and have to endure his coaching this past season - as a fan, and as players on that team with all the hyper manic substitutions..and continued insistence to play in his own words:  4 on 5 offensively.

Thank you. Brent was horrible this season. Stubborn lineups...hockey-style mass substitutions...poor game management...no in-game adjustments.  Enjoy him, VT. He's all yours.

AirPunches

• All American
« Reply #63 on: March 29, 2014, 11:28:07 AM »
Glad he's gone now. He was getting weirder by the day. Coaching, post game comments, mannerisms, everything. Hopefully, we get a more sane coach now. I am surprised so many families that he has recruited bought into his BS.