[Today at 11:35:19 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 11:11:25 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by cheebs09
[Today at 10:52:12 AM]

NIL Future by Hards Alumni
[Today at 10:38:26 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: "Buzz should be fired immediately."  (Read 16228 times)

NersEllenson

• All American
"Buzz should be fired immediately."
« on: March 28, 2014, 02:02:53 PM »
Lots of rumors swirling that Buzz was in trouble with MU admin as early as January this year.  Recall many posters saying that if Buzz was playing a player out of being "stubborn" or hard headed - he should immediately be fired.

Find it rather ironic to ponder now.  Did Buzz somewhat tank the season as a final middle finger to MU?  Did he know all along he'd be leaving - whether asked to by admin, or on his own - and decided to just mail it in, and annoy the hell out of the 80% of our fanbase who were pulling their hair out watching his "coaching" decisions?  He definitely had a pulse for what was said here and the other boards...and he is a highly, highly sensitive individual.

Never thought I'd say it, but I believe we are better off in the long run having moved on from Buzz.  The time had come.  We will land a very good coach, and the program will be solid moving forward.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
Re: "Buzz should be fired immediately."
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 02:08:22 PM »
I definitely heard the sound of a shot being fired from the grassy knoll.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 02:08:37 PM »
Don't think he purposely tanked it but think he was making a point by rotations played. The more I talk to people that really know basketball the more I am hearing they do not think Buzz knows much about coaching basketball. The guy worked his ass and gave us success on the court and I can overlook this season and appreciate vwhat he did.

Time to move on to bigger and better things.

Ahoya06

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 02:11:47 PM »
That's a little *too* conspiracy theorist, I don't think he intentionally tanked. I do think he reached a point during this season where, perhaps subconsciously, he checked out. Probably had it in his head that he might be seriously entertaining offers after the year, so wasn't fully in the game.

brandx

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 02:14:01 PM »
Don't think he purposely tanked it but think he was making a point by rotations played. The more I talk to people that really know basketball the more I am hearing they do not think Buzz knows much about coaching basketball. The guy worked his ass and gave us success on the court and I can overlook this season and appreciate vwhat he did.

He was much more of a motivator rather than a coach. What bothered me this season wasn't the rotation issue - but that for the first time, his teams were being out-hustled for rebounds and loose balls. I thought he packed it in early this year.

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 02:16:44 PM »
High level coaches don't tank on purpose. It's not in their DNA. I'm sure there were a lot of issues affecting Buzz's performance, but I really doubt that he tanked deliberately.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2014, 02:18:45 PM »
I'm not sure Buzz is high level coach or not and time will tell. I am Buzz guy and not bashing him because he left. I think jury is out on Buzz like it was on KO and TC when they left. Not sure if I would bet Buzz will mirror his MU success and his next gig.

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2014, 02:18:52 PM »
I think Buzz knew this was his last season going into the year. If it wasn't Va Tech it would've been somewhere else. It sounded like he wanted to leave last year, but would've looked bad after going to the elite 8. I seriously had a man crush on this bozo until this year. In all my years of watching basketball, I have never seen such a piss poor coaching performance. I think he turned into a stubborn prima donna and I think his act was starting to wear thin with his players. I am not sorry to see him go, as I never really thought he was that great of a game coach. I think we will miss his recruiting however. We will be fine in the long run, but it's gonna take a couple of years to fix this mess Brent left us with.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2014, 02:19:30 PM »
He was much more of a motivator rather than a coach. What bothered me this season wasn't the rotation issue - but that for the first time, his teams were being out-hustled for rebounds and loose balls. I thought he packed it in early this year.

His "rotations" this year absolutely annoyed me, and I'm sure EVERY player on the roster outside of Derrick and Jake who consistently got max minutes.  The rapid fire substitutions, offense to defense, yanked in and out at first mistake - none of that breeds confidence, or cohesion.

I recall one game where Dawson played with 9 different guys in a 3 minute stretch.  There is a reason you don't see other coaches doing this.  Just last night heard it said that Wisconsin played the same starting lineup ALL season.  Buzz?  He benches his leading scorer and 3rd leading scorer and most dynamic guard - and plays both Gardner and Mayo less than 26 minutes per game on average for the  year.  Bizarro.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2014, 02:23:54 PM »
I'm not sure Buzz is high level coach or not and time will tell. I am Buzz guy and not bashing him because he left. I think jury is out on Buzz like it was on KO and TC when they left. Not sure if I would bet Buzz will mirror his MU success and his next gig.

I actually agree with you on all of these points. By "high level", I simply meant the level at which they are coaching, i.e., major conference in D1. I don't think anyone that makes it to that level tanks games on purpose.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2014, 02:25:18 PM »
High level coaches don't tank on purpose. It's not in their DNA. I'm sure there were a lot of issues affecting Buzz's performance, but I really doubt that he tanked deliberately.

And who's at VT now? 

IF he did, that's a BS move worthy of being blacklisted by other schools - should it become public.  However, the motivation for schools to pay for a winner despite previous transgressions ultimately, and unfortunately, leads to very short memories. 
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

BenCat12

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2014, 02:25:30 PM »
I don't think he lost on purpose.  However, I do think he deliberately made no attempt to develop the program.  What I mean by that is he gave up on the freshman far too quickly and played strictly for this season.  I also think the players picked up on Buzz's attitude, which caused this team to appear leaderless. Many coaches will tell you a team's play and attitude is a direct result of leadership.  His rotations showed he had very little interest in remaining here for the long haul.  No one really knew it at the time, but it certainly makes sense.  I think Buzz was out the door much earlier than any of us realize.  Good Riddance!

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2014, 02:27:42 PM »

I think Buzz was a decent coach, but somehow lost the team this year.  If you look at his first year coaching, he took one of the smallest teams in Division I basketball (smallest team in NCAA tourney)  and almost had them playing in the sweet 16.  Wes Matthews really blossomed under Buzz, and that team played to its strengths.    

The first few years of Buzz's tenure, were spent coaching Crean's recruits and getting Juco's in to fill the gaps.  Vander Blue's class was Buzz's first class that he recruited that had true freshman.  If you take a look at all the guys that Buzz took from freshman to junior/senior - Blue is the most successful.  There were a lot of busts in his program like D. Wilson, Cadougan, Brett Roseboro, and several others who were 4 star recruits/top 100 players.  There was a reason for many of the transfers - Buzz's staff over-evaluated players at the high school level.  

I think Buzz saw that the cupboard was bare for this team.  Sure, Burton will be good, but there's not much else on the team.  Combine that with the quote, unquote "issues behind the scenes" and you realize there was no point for him to coach a team that would be rebuilding next year and possibly the year after.  You can see by the reaction of the fans in this forum, that there isn't any patience for that @ MU.  

Buzz saw the writing on the wall and left to do what he's always wanted to do..... hunt down the big fish and be seen on ESPN doing it.  He will be more appreciated at Va Tech - if he can turn it around.  

brandx

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2014, 02:28:06 PM »
His "rotations" this year absolutely annoyed me, and I'm sure EVERY player on the roster outside of Derrick and Jake who consistently got max minutes.  The rapid fire substitutions, offense to defense, yanked in and out at first mistake - none of that breeds confidence, or cohesion.

I recall one game where Dawson played with 9 different guys in a 3 minute stretch.  There is a reason you don't see other coaches doing this.  Just last night heard it said that Wisconsin played the same starting lineup ALL season.  Buzz?  He benches his leading scorer and 3rd leading scorer and most dynamic guard - and plays both Gardner and Mayo less than 26 minutes per game on average for the  year.  Bizarro.

I should have been clearer. His rotations did bother me - but the lack of hustle bothered me more.

And when I said he "packed it in", I was referring to not coaching at the same level of intensity that he had previously done - not that he was tanking.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2014, 02:29:23 PM »
It would not make sense to purposely have a bad season, when you are going to looking for another job. I think for Buzz the tipping stone was losing out on Matthews. I am sure he felt, if he got Matthews he would also get Stone. I also think he would not of left, if he felt he was getting Stone. Hopefully, the new coach can peak Stone's interest.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 02:35:05 PM by bilsu »

oshkoshbgosh

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2014, 02:30:14 PM »
Don't think he wanted to "tank" or lose games out of spite. Rather, Buzz wanted to win with "his guys" so he could thumb his nose at those who dared criticize his coaching. Had they pulled out those final two two-overtime games with Derrick and Jake playing big minutes you can bet he would've reminded anyone who'd listen that he was smarter than the media or the fans. He just didn't like  being questioned, which puts with 90% of all college and pro coaches.

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2014, 02:31:53 PM »
It would not make sense to purposely have a bad season, when you are going to looking for another job. I think for Buzz the tipping stone was losing out on Matthews. I am sure he felt, if he got Matthews he would also get Stone. I also think he would not of left, if he felt he was getting Stone. Hopefully, the new coach can peek Stone's interest.

Well if he couldn't get players of Matthews caliber to come here, he will be in for a rude awakening when he tries to get them to Va Tech.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2014, 02:36:08 PM »
This conversation leads me to a theory that's been bouncing around in my head all week...

Do you think Brent made promises to Jake (and maybe Juan) about playing time after he found out Vander was leaving last Spring?  Like, hey don't transfer, if you come back you'll be a starter...

Starting to make sense in the context of him not playing for the future this past season.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

JTBMU7

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2014, 02:36:13 PM »
buzz was great when he had the horses, if you look at the years we supposedly overachieved, we can now say we had more talent than we realized at the time (2011 we were an 11 seed, but had 4 future NBA players on the team, plus davante. last year, we had a solid, experienced core of guards with a handful of above average role players)...
this year, my guess is he assumed he could make it work with the usual boot camp/toughness/etc... but you could tell he had no idea what the real identity of the team was or how to get them to play hard consistently - which is always been his calling card.  
from what i hear, the team became dysfunctional and really had no sense of direction all year (remember todd's comments about Jamil?)
he was too stubborn to change his ways, too loyal to give up on underdog juniors/seniors, too insecure to take the criticism. in the end his inability to coach the team up probably led to his second guessing himself and wanting to make a jump.
i certainly dont think he tanked, but he definitely dug himself deep with his own process and probably exposed the fact that he couldnt take his most talented roster and make anything positive out of it.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2014, 02:38:38 PM »
In looking back at this season there is no doubt in my mind that Buzz knew he was leaving. Aside from crazy coaching seems like a different guy and it was not due to pressure. Being MU coach is far from a pressure cooker.

Do think it is funny that he did get more heat than I thought he would for the way he handled this team. I know I was not alone about checking out on this team early and I mean early. A year ago today I was nursing serious hangover post Miami S16 win and by News Year Day this year was completely disconnected from the team's success or failure.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2014, 02:39:49 PM »
Don't think he wanted to "tank" or lose games out of spite. Rather, Buzz wanted to win with "his guys" so he could thumb his nose at those who dared criticize his coaching. Had they pulled out those final two two-overtime games with Derrick and Jake playing big minutes you can bet he would've reminded anyone who'd listen that he was smarter than the media or the fans. He just didn't like  being questioned, which puts with 90% of all college and pro coaches.

This. Buzz didn't tank. But he was ridiculously stubborn. And he knew there was little risk of any impact, because he knew he would be gone. He was basically giving a middle finger to anyone who didn't think he was making the right decisions.

BenCat12

• Team Captain
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2014, 02:40:21 PM »
I think Buzz was a decent coach, but somehow lost the team this year.  If you look at his first year coaching, he took one of the smallest teams in Division I basketball (smallest team in NCAA tourney)  and almost had them playing in the sweet 16.  Wes Matthews really blossomed under Buzz, and that team played to its strengths.    

The first few years of Buzz's tenure, were spent coaching Crean's recruits and getting Juco's in to fill the gaps.  Vander Blue's class was Buzz's first class that he recruited that had true freshman.  If you take a look at all the guys that Buzz took from freshman to junior/senior - Blue is the most successful.  There were a lot of busts in his program like D. Wilson, Cadougan, Brett Roseboro, and several others who were 4 star recruits/top 100 players.  There was a reason for many of the transfers - Buzz's staff over-evaluated players at the high school level.  

I think Buzz saw that the cupboard was bare for this team.  Sure, Burton will be good, but there's not much else on the team.  Combine that with the quote, unquote "issues behind the scenes" and you realize there was no point for him to coach a team that would be rebuilding next year and possibly the year after.  You can see by the reaction of the fans in this forum, that there isn't any patience for that @ MU.  

Buzz saw the writing on the wall and left to do what he's always wanted to do..... hunt down the big fish and be seen on ESPN doing it.  He will be more appreciated at Va Tech - if he can turn it around.  

The bolded paragraph is completely false.  If you look at the physical talent of the returning guys and incoming freshmen, the cupboard would have been as full as it has ever been during Buzz's tenure.  Still could be if they can find a coach that can keep the incoming recruits.  The future is very bright......with the right coach

brandx

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2014, 02:42:22 PM »
In looking back at this season there is no doubt in my mind that Buzz knew he was leaving. Aside from crazy coaching seems like a different guy and it was not due to pressure. Being MU coach is far from a pressure cooker.

Do think it is funny that he did get more heat than I thought he would for the way he handled this team. I know I was not alone about checking out on this team early and I mean early. A year ago today I was nursing serious hangover post Miami S16 win and by News Year Day this year was completely disconnected from the team's success or failure.

I checked out after the first 5 minutes of the 1st Creighton game. Letting a team that relies on the 3-point shot to shoot 13 threes before 5 minutes were off the clock told me his head wasn't in the game this year.

brandx

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2014, 02:43:35 PM »
The bolded paragraph is completely false.  If you look at the physical talent of the returning guys and incoming freshmen, the cupboard would have been as full as it has ever been during Buzz's tenure.  Still could be if they can find a coach that can keep the incoming recruits.  The future is very bright......with the right coach

You're a guy that I disagree with a lot - but I agree totally with your statements here.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2014, 02:43:59 PM »
Brandx

That was my exit time as well. Prior to halftime of Creighton game at Creighton.