Oso Article by Lennys Tap
[Today at 02:10:36 PM]

MU all-time defensive team? by Zog from Margo
[Today at 11:09:40 AM]

2025 Bracketology by wadesworld
[Today at 10:50:55 AM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 09:54:58 AM]

What do Wisconsinites call people from Illinois? by Plaque Lives Matter!
[June 20, 2024, 09:51:57 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Jeff Goodman's ESPN Insider post on Marquette  (Read 34498 times)

keyswarrior

• Walk-On
Re: Jeff Goodman's ESPN Insider post on Marquette
« Reply #125 on: March 27, 2014, 06:52:07 PM »
First post and I'm waiting to get lambasted for it but hasn't Ben Howland accomplished much more than Shaka Smart?  If Smart was our new coach and did well wouldn't we have the same old "Smart to (fill in blue blood school looking for a new coach)".  Yes I'd be happy if Smart was our new coach.  I'd be happier if it was Howland and we could join the ranks of sweet 16/elite eight/final four teams that have coaches that aren't on the carrousel every year.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #126 on: March 27, 2014, 06:53:59 PM »
First post and I'm waiting to get lambasted for it but hasn't Ben Howland accomplished much more than Shaka Smart?  If Smart was our new coach and did well wouldn't we have the same old "Smart to (fill in blue blood school looking for a new coach)".  Yes I'd be happy if Smart was our new coach.  I'd be happier if it was Howland and we could join the ranks of sweet 16/elite eight/final four teams that have coaches that aren't on the carrousel every year.

Actually, that is a pretty standard comment around here.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #127 on: March 27, 2014, 06:56:40 PM »
The allure of Smart for me was the perceived bump in recruitin'. Whether Howland still has that, I'm not for sure.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

keyswarrior

• Walk-On
« Reply #128 on: March 27, 2014, 07:59:46 PM »
Exactly what I was expecting

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #129 on: March 27, 2014, 08:00:52 PM »
The allure of Smart for me was the perceived bump in recruitin'. Whether Howland still has that, I'm not for sure.

+1.

mattyv1908

• All American
« Reply #130 on: March 27, 2014, 08:07:15 PM »

I disagree.

Who's players are still playing in the NCAAT for UCLA?  Pretty sure that's Howland's team.  He's recruited and coached much better players than Shaka Smart ever has.

If it wasn't for parody in college hoops we would never have seen a VCU final four.  While I would have been happy if Smart did accept the offer, a part of me feels like we missed out a whole lot of manufactured hype rather than a real proven winner.
Shut this board down at the opening tip.  If they win, open it back up.  If they lose, keep it shut it down until the next morning.  - Sultan of Slurpery

AirPunches

• All American
« Reply #131 on: March 27, 2014, 08:11:48 PM »

Same here. Even if just for the short term. Although, it wouldn't take much to put out a better lineup than the last coach this past season.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #132 on: March 27, 2014, 08:15:55 PM »
I disagree.

Who's players are still playing in the NCAAT for UCLA?  Pretty sure that's Howland's team.  He's recruited and coached much better players than Shaka Smart ever has.

If it wasn't for parody in college hoops we would never have seen a VCU final four.  While I would have been happy if Smart did accept the offer, a part of me feels like we missed out a whole lot of manufactured hype rather than a real proven winner.
That's at UCLA. You've got to be fairly dynamic to recruit to Milwaukee

mattyv1908

• All American
« Reply #133 on: March 27, 2014, 08:28:17 PM »

He recruited just fine at Pitt.  It's no mid major but it's not exactly a sexy locale either.
Shut this board down at the opening tip.  If they win, open it back up.  If they lose, keep it shut it down until the next morning.  - Sultan of Slurpery

keyswarrior

• Walk-On
« Reply #134 on: March 27, 2014, 08:40:08 PM »
So we get all excited about a guy that had a miracle run from richmond who's stringing us along vs. a guy that won at two schools and wants to be here?  I'm on the Ben Howland bandwagon

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #135 on: March 27, 2014, 08:50:59 PM »
He recruited just fine at Pitt.  It's no mid major but it's not exactly a sexy locale either.

Yep.  He brought plenty of good players to Pitt.  He could do the same at MU.

And I get a sense kids might like playing for a guy who has put 14 players in the NBA....

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #136 on: March 28, 2014, 08:14:57 AM »
I got your point, responding to your quote was just because I had to respond to someone's.

Donovan just re-upped for 5 years, just don't know if the Association is in his future. After going through multiple programs trying to grab Smart, and seeing what he demands of VCU each time, one can reasonably see where his priorities may be.

Donovan already reneged on a job in the NBA

Let's Go Warriors

• Team Captain
  • Lets Go Warriors(clap clap clap clap clap)...
« Reply #137 on: March 28, 2014, 08:21:50 AM »

there is some truth to that.  However, in the past few years and the next few years.  MU could do a lot worse than to snap up the Wisconsin/Milwaukee top level recruits.  Howland I think can do this.
Warrior As defined by Webster's:
A person who fights in battles and is known for having courage and skill

PistolPete

• Starter
« Reply #138 on: March 28, 2014, 08:35:41 AM »
there is some truth to that.  However, in the past few years and the next few years.  MU could do a lot worse than to snap up the Wisconsin/Milwaukee top level recruits.  Howland I think can do this.

It's too early in the morning and I'm too lazy to comb through every post, but can someone weigh in on reasons that we would not hire Howland? I know the rumor was that he was asking for too much money... but, beyond that?

MUMountin

• All American
« Reply #139 on: March 28, 2014, 09:24:58 AM »
It's too early in the morning and I'm too lazy to comb through every post, but can someone weigh in on reasons that we would not hire Howland? I know the rumor was that he was asking for too much money... but, beyond that?

I think the general question right now is not why we wouldn't hire him, but whether he still wants MU: Did he get jilted after expressing significant interest in MU last weekend only to have MU play footsie with Shaka for a week.  I'm hoping that's not the case, and that we can get to terms with him quickly. 

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #140 on: March 28, 2014, 09:29:04 AM »
I think the general question right now is not why we wouldn't hire him, but whether he still wants MU: Did he get jilted after expressing significant interest in MU last weekend only to have MU play footsie with Shaka for a week.  I'm hoping that's not the case, and that we can get to terms with him quickly. 

I have to imagine BW is not that soft, but admittedly the same thought has crossed my mind.  MU is obviously vetting other candidates or it'd be a done deal by now.   
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

PistolPete

• Starter
« Reply #141 on: March 28, 2014, 09:30:00 AM »
I think the general question right now is not why we wouldn't hire him, but whether he still wants MU: Did he get jilted after expressing significant interest in MU last weekend only to have MU play footsie with Shaka for a week.  I'm hoping that's not the case, and that we can get to terms with him quickly.  

If anything, wouldn't that bolster his position? We swung and missed on our presumed top candidate.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #142 on: March 28, 2014, 09:35:49 AM »

Agreed, I'm starting to think Martin might be #2 for MU.

Logi4three

• Team Captain
« Reply #143 on: March 28, 2014, 09:41:38 AM »
Chico's

Martin has appeal to current kids and recruits.

Was Martin in on Hill, JJJ, Cohen, Dawson or any of out other big recruits/players?  If so, sounds like this hire might be worth considering further despite the fact it looked as though he was going to be out at Tenn a month or so ago. 

WadeATKBurton

• All American
« Reply #144 on: March 28, 2014, 09:46:53 AM »

Milwaukee is 10x better than Storrs, Connecticut...Kevin Ollie dont have any problems.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #145 on: March 28, 2014, 09:47:11 AM »
Was Martin in on Hill, JJJ, Cohen, Dawson or any of out other big recruits/players?  If so, sounds like this hire might be worth considering further despite the fact it looked as though he was going to be out at Tenn a month or so ago. 

I'd imagine he and JJJ are at least a little familiar.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #146 on: March 28, 2014, 09:47:34 AM »
Agreed, I'm starting to think Martin might be #2 for MU.

WadeATKBurton

• All American
« Reply #147 on: March 28, 2014, 09:49:44 AM »

No need to imagine.  Even if he didnt recruit those guys they all will love him.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #148 on: March 28, 2014, 09:49:50 AM »

Per Rivals, both Hill and JJJ were offered by Tenn.  So, Martin is familiar with these two.  

WadeATKBurton

• All American
« Reply #149 on: March 28, 2014, 09:51:26 AM »
You guys are all sleeping on Martin. I think he would do great at Marquette.

feedback