'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2025 Bracketology by MarquetteMike1977
[Today at 01:06:27 AM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Uncle Rico
[June 20, 2024, 10:10:15 PM]

What do Wisconsinites call people from Illinois? by Plaque Lives Matter!
[June 20, 2024, 09:51:57 PM]

MU all-time defensive team? by Lennys Tap
[June 20, 2024, 08:26:59 PM]

President Lovell Passes Away by Warriors4ever
[June 20, 2024, 07:45:38 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Uncle Rico
[June 20, 2024, 05:24:06 PM]

More conference realignment talk by brewcity77
[June 20, 2024, 02:56:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Jeff Goodman's ESPN Insider post on Marquette  (Read 34483 times)

WadeATKBurton

• All American
Re: Jeff Goodman's ESPN Insider post on Marquette
« Reply #100 on: March 27, 2014, 04:30:10 PM »
D. Stephens, MSU.   Still my out of the box candidate.

Chords said this is not a stepping stone job. Therefore, I think we will get an already established coach.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #101 on: March 27, 2014, 04:31:13 PM »
Because Shaka comes from the Donovan tree, and their styles are similar. He could take Donovan's players and not miss a beat. His style of play translates well to the SEC, and he has ties down to Florida going back to his assistant days.

Not saying he would reject an offer from Duke or Cuse outright, but if I had to bet my savings on one program where I think both sides would come to a quick resolution and he would become coach: it's Florida without a doubt.

Did you completely miss my point? WHEN IS DONOVAN LEAVING FLORIDA? He's not even 50! Shaka isn't "waiting" for that job. Could be waiting for 20 years.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Jet915

• Starter
« Reply #102 on: March 27, 2014, 04:32:34 PM »
Just hire Howland.

He WANTS to be here.  It seems that sets him apart, perhaps, from other big names thrown about on here.

Oh...and he's MUCH more accomplished than EVERY other name considered.

I agree, Shaka ain't happening.....Howland is better than Cuonzo or Wardle or anyone left except Marshall who MU seems is not interested in.

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #103 on: March 27, 2014, 04:33:04 PM »
If MU is really offering $3MM+ and Shaka is currently at $1.2MM, how much more can VCU even offer?  VCU is a State school, right?  Would they even be able to get his salary up to $2MM?
I know this will sound strange to some, but with him it's not all about money. It's about EVERYTHING. Every single detail will be scrutinized. I can't stress this fact enough.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #104 on: March 27, 2014, 04:33:08 PM »
OK, without the guessing game,and using logic and common sense, then it comes down to Martin or Bennett as the mystery man.

I'm sorry, what exactly makes those two logical, and more than guessing?

SWARM!

• Starter
« Reply #105 on: March 27, 2014, 04:37:28 PM »
Just guessing on my part. i don't think i heard it anywhere else, though for no real reason, I would wager a lot that MU is looking at him.

Got word that Cuonzo contacted MU and not the other way around. Would make sense if word is out there that we want a black coach.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #106 on: March 27, 2014, 04:39:37 PM »
I know this will sound strange to some, but with him it's not all about money. It's about EVERYTHING. Every single detail will be scrutinized. I can't stress this fact enough.

+1 and this is why things are done in public that don't entirely make sense now.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Gopher+RamFan

• Walk-On
« Reply #107 on: March 27, 2014, 04:40:55 PM »
Did you completely miss my point? WHEN IS DONOVAN LEAVING FLORIDA? He's not even 50! Shaka isn't "waiting" for that job. Could be waiting for 20 years.

I got your point, responding to your quote was just because I had to respond to someone's.

Donovan just re-upped for 5 years, just don't know if the Association is in his future. After going through multiple programs trying to grab Smart, and seeing what he demands of VCU each time, one can reasonably see where his priorities may be.

Some here keep stating "return home". Home is a double edged sword, he knows Wisconsin well, and had a rough time in his upbringing. MU brings a lot to the table, money, facilities, the will to win at the highest level with the assets to do so. Hes obviously very engaged with VCU and doesn't take leaving very lightly.

When he was a DIII point guard, his coach his program. Listening to his speeches (there was a great speech of his at Kenyon college, it was about an hour, was on YouTube but since taken down due to revealing some personal aspects of our players- ones parents died when he was young in a car crash) you can see that it will always be hard for him to leave players who he has committed to. VCU was just lucky to have an administration, and the Villa 7, and knew he'd do fairly well. If someone else had hired him, I think he'd have just as hard a time leaving, as long as the program kept committing itself to the basketball side of operations.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #108 on: March 27, 2014, 04:42:49 PM »

Got word that Cuonzo contacted MU and not the other way around. Would make sense if word is out there that we want a black coach.

Good grief...seriously? Got word. Who got word? From whom? Was he on the plane to Richmond too? You'll forgive me if I am a touch skeptical after the past few days.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 04:45:03 PM by NavinRJohnson »

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #109 on: March 27, 2014, 04:44:16 PM »
I thought I made it clear in my post that I believed there was a possibility Shaka engaged in discussion. My point was that I believed his intention all along was to gain leverage...nothing more.

Again, though, your post begs the question: why should I weigh the validity of your sources over mine? Just because you say so? The bolded part makes no sense. My train of thought assumes the status quo. That has been the safest bet the whole time here.

You posted the other day: "Also just confirmed Shaka!!!!" Obviously, that didn't turn out to be true. Why should I trust that the people you have been speaking with are in the know? Your position assumes quite a bit more than mine.
I simply passed on yet-to-be corroborated by IWB tweet early. Things have changed since then. There are a few here who know the actual guys in the room. Time will tell.

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #110 on: March 27, 2014, 04:47:26 PM »
I haven't heard much about Stephens since he left MU.  Is he the associate head coach or just an assistant?  As I recall when working for Crean he was considered a good recruiter and we felt he was good with Post Player Development.
If MU is going to take a chance on a assistant he'd have to be a very hot commodity.  The last to guys I can remember who had that can't miss rep were Crean and Pastner.  But when we took Crean we had to take a chance like that.  Unless Cords just thinks he has the midas touch hiring an assistant would be risking and we'd probably take a hit in the short term

texaswarrior74

• All American
« Reply #111 on: March 27, 2014, 04:47:34 PM »

Cuonzo is feeling very unloved right now.

The fact that Pearl still lives in Knoxville, was/is very popular around town and is still missed by a great majority of the Vol fans has been tough on Martin.

This was a big topic of discussion on both ESPN and CBS sports radio within the last few days and all feel he is being very unfairly treated. This alone would explain reaching out to MU.

Wisco

• Starter
« Reply #112 on: March 27, 2014, 04:48:51 PM »
I simply passed on yet-to-be corroborated by IWB tweet early. Things have changed since then. There are a few here who know the actual guys in the room. Time will tell.
Fair enough. I'll respect the process. I probably need to back away from the keyboard for a while, like many others here.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #113 on: March 27, 2014, 04:49:55 PM »
Chords said this is not a stepping stone job. Therefore, I think we will get an already established coach.

The point of stepping stone job is the guys that leave for bigger gigs.  I realize the younger you are, the more likely you are to leave and then it becomes "stepping stone" criteria.  To a large extent, every job is a stepping stone in athletics sans a handful.  To me it matters where they go next. If you leave MU for a blueblood program, God Bless you..it is what it is.  If you leave for Tennessee or Va. Tech, that's a different animal.

Also, at some point I don't want to take an established coach jut for the same of taking an established coach if I think an assistant will do a bang up job.  Don't get me wrong, assistants are way down my list this time around just as they were in 2008, I want MU to act like a big boy and hope that is the case....but not if it means hiring someone that isn't going to cut it.  There's a point where you look at a few assistants as well.

brandx

Re: Jeff Goodman Insider post on Marquette
« Reply #114 on: March 27, 2014, 04:50:56 PM »
Garbage, won't come, is called the Mayor of Ames, and a hair above Wardle.

Hoiberg is an excellent coach who I would love to have. But the only way he ever leaves ISU is for the NBA.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #115 on: March 27, 2014, 04:52:12 PM »
I haven't heard much about Stephens since he left MU.  Is he the associate head coach or just an assistant?  As I recall when working for Crean he was considered a good recruiter and we felt he was good with Post Player Development.
If MU is going to take a chance on a assistant he'd have to be a very hot commodity.  The last to guys I can remember who had that can't miss rep were Crean and Pastner.  But when we took Crean we had to take a chance like that.  Unless Cords just thinks he has the midas touch hiring an assistant would be risking and we'd probably take a hit in the short term

He was promoted to associate head coach two years ago. 

http://www.msuspartans.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/061212aaa.html

Rockmic87

• Team Captain
« Reply #116 on: March 27, 2014, 04:52:25 PM »
Welcome to MU Dwayne Stephens!!!!!   Woooooooo!

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #117 on: March 27, 2014, 05:14:20 PM »
Hoiberg is an excellent coach who I would love to have. But the only way he ever leaves ISU is for the NBA.

Completely agree. He is loaded with talent at ISU, and he walks on water there. They'll throw more money at him after this season I'm sure. ISU was a legit title contender before Niang broke his foot in the tourney; could still see them making the Final Four. I could see him taking an NBA job at some point, and he will certainly have options there going forward.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #118 on: March 27, 2014, 05:48:45 PM »

Go after Steve Kerr!  He has always just been a better version of Hoiberg!  :)

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #119 on: March 27, 2014, 06:10:17 PM »
Duane Stevens? I lobbed that out too and it got crushed.

Well, if you misspelled both his first and last names like you did there, you could have confused people.  Heck, some people might have thought you meant Brad Stevens.  At least he fits the spelling of the last name you used.  BTW, it's Dwayne Stephens.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 06:41:41 PM by LittleMurs »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #120 on: March 27, 2014, 06:13:12 PM »

With candidates like Ben Howland available. why would MU hire an unproven assistant with no head coaching experience?
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #121 on: March 27, 2014, 06:15:08 PM »
Bennett turned us down repeatedly in the past and appears to be very entrenched at UV. No way he's our next coach.

plus he might have badger blood in him if he crosses the state line unless $$ are right, i guess that could trump all.  i believe however, he is pretty comfy where he is, acc and all
don't...don't don't don't don't

reinko

• All American
« Reply #122 on: March 27, 2014, 06:21:43 PM »
Maybe the secret coach is Bo Ryan.

/mic drop

Rockmic87

• Team Captain
« Reply #123 on: March 27, 2014, 06:34:43 PM »
Just name Wainwright the new MU HC...

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #124 on: March 27, 2014, 06:35:51 PM »

I agree.  I believe that all the misunderstanding on Monday was due to Shaka and MU agreeing on money and years and (at least) one person at Marquette not realizing that for Shaka that was just the start of the process.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

feedback