[Today at 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Mystery Solved!  (Read 26278 times)

GOO

• All American
Re: Mystery Solved!
« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2014, 10:49:01 AM »
Gold wasn't the problem. It was/is a good idea.

The problem is people expect Warriors and got Gold.

I'd trade Golden Eagles for Gold right now, no questions.

Oldgym

• All American
  • It was their final, most essential command
« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2014, 10:49:28 AM »
And that is what is keeping hope alive for us here. You would think by now if he wasn't at least still intrigued the entire "I'm staying at X school, and plan on being her for Y."

Right, or he could simply say "I'll be here as long as they'll have me."

Steady, people.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 26, 2014, 10:49:52 AM »
I see that you have.  Other than the Pilarz hire, I stand by my comment that BoT has acted appropriately (or at the very least weren't the ones who dropped the ball) in all of those cases.  Even with Pilarz, at least they realized early on that they made a bad decision and took swift action to correct it.

You may not agree with the decisions they've made, but faulting them in hindsight and/or implying that decisions were made negligently or with malice is just plain wrong.

Oh I don't think there was any malice.

I just worry. That's all.

RyanConroy

« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2014, 10:50:55 AM »
Ideal:

This theory is correct and Shaka's reservations about the open presidency are quelled. And the AD situation isn't of concern to him because Marquette is taking VCU's AD Ed McLaughlin too.

It would offer another extraordinary reason to come to MU, something UCLA and the others couldn't have offered.

Edit: Just saw this was already proposed in another thread!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 10:56:58 AM by MUStudent »

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2014, 10:51:07 AM »
I'm afraid there is a twist to the theory in the lead post that in my mind is better supported by a BigDaddy post yesterday at noon.  I think there was serious interest by SS with the lack of a Pres and AD (getting a read on who he would report to) was one of the big negs.  After thinking it through SS decided that its simply to big an unknown.  Even if they guys are named they have no track record he can count on.  With that in mind he decided to break off the discussions.  Hence the reports that he told everyone at VCU he is staying.
Since MU didn't have an official offer he was officially reviewing he doesn't feel the need to officially turn down MU.
As Big Daddy says no news today will mean its probably dead.
I'm ready to move on to Ben.  Can't wait too long.

My sentiments exactly.  BigDaddy said Shaka had til Wednesday, but when I found out Shaka talked to his team, I thought to myself "OK, this is pretty much over.  Let's get Ben."

Note that all of this coincides with what Richard Shaw said: `the deal is on life-support'

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2014, 10:53:55 AM »
I went to VCU's message board.  They're debating whether or not to accept an invite to the new BE.  Most say "no" because it's not what it once was.  Now that's funny.

I just can't imagine Shaka being a viable candidate anymore.  If MU announces in the next 24 hrs it would have to be Howland.....I'd prefer Shaka, but if that ship was ever in play it had to have sailed by now.  Hope I'm wrong.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 26, 2014, 10:55:00 AM »
I went to VCU's message board.  They're debating whether or not to accept an invite to the new BE.  Most say "no" because it's not what it once was.  Now that's funny.

I just can't imagine Shaka being a viable candidate anymore.  If MU announces in the next 24 hrs it would have to be Howland.....I'd prefer Shaka, but if that ship was ever in play it had to have sailed by now.  Hope I'm wrong.

They would kill to be in the BE, they just know people are actually reading their message board for a change.

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 26, 2014, 10:55:05 AM »
My sentiments exactly.  BigDaddy said Shaka had til Wednesday, but when I found out Shaka talked to his team, I thought to myself "OK, this is pretty much over.  Let's get Ben."

Note that all of this coincides with what Richard Shaw said: `the deal is on life-support'

The same Richard Shaw who on Monday said "confirmed". He might have some inside info, but I wouldn't take his word as gospel.

Wisco

• Starter
« Reply #58 on: March 26, 2014, 10:55:11 AM »
This is where I heavily disagree with some of them and I think I've made that quite clear through my posts.

Buchec18

• Starter
« Reply #59 on: March 26, 2014, 10:55:18 AM »
I, on the other hand, have given up complete hope. That way, if something unexpected does happen, it would be that much more awesome.

Seriously though, our chances of landing SS look bleak IMO. All the national reporters are saying there's nothing going on and he's staying at VCU, why should I believe otherwise?

TJ

• All American
« Reply #60 on: March 26, 2014, 10:55:57 AM »
Youre worse then the troll. I think the funniest part is that so many VCU fans have made an account on our site but none of us found it necessary to make an account for your site. Thats just explains the discrepancy between the programs.
No, the funniest part is that MU has become Illinois 2 years ago and everyone who pays attention (admittedly a small percentage of people) is laughing at us.  If by some magic SS comes to MU then you can all have your day in the sun saying "see I told you so", but until then it's just a repeat of that story - and I fondly remember laughing at Illinois when they were sure they would get SS, then they were sure they would get Buzz, etc.  Sadly, that happy memory will be tarnished by this unless you're all right.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #61 on: March 26, 2014, 10:56:51 AM »

I disagree.  I hate Gold.  I hate Orange and I hate Cardinal too.  Singular, color-based team names are stupid.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #62 on: March 26, 2014, 10:57:18 AM »

But who said Shaka talked to his team?  And what exactly was said?

And there's a perfectly good explanation as to why some have claimed "life support," even if that isn't actually the case.  See OP comment regarding "radio silence."

If you leaked information that you weren't supposed to (and were being reprimanded for), what do you say the next time you see that person (to whom you leaked the information)... "oh my bad, I was wrong... ignore what I said before."
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #63 on: March 26, 2014, 10:57:23 AM »
nm

GOO

• All American
« Reply #64 on: March 26, 2014, 10:57:32 AM »
Well, at least the SS flirtation probably gave us some negotiation leverage with Ben Howland, if we had a two way negotiation track going.  Heck, for all we know, SS wasn't No. 1 but got used.  Doubt it, but possible.  

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #65 on: March 26, 2014, 10:57:40 AM »
Let's face the facts. Shaka never was or is coming. It's just not going to happen. Ever.

Now on to my lunch for today.  I am really hungry for some crow.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #66 on: March 26, 2014, 10:57:50 AM »

This. Sorta.
Not sure Gold was a good idea, but at least it's original and had some potential. Golden Eagles is just ... blah.
But the expectations for Warriors was so unreasonably high anything else would have gone over like the Hindenburg went over New Jersey.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #67 on: March 26, 2014, 10:58:07 AM »
"Leak on Monday, presser on Wednesday"

VCUInsider

• Walk-On
« Reply #68 on: March 26, 2014, 10:58:22 AM »
No, the funniest part is that MU has become Illinois 2 years ago and everyone who pays attention (admittedly a small percentage of people) is laughing at us.  If by some magic SS comes to MU then you can all have your day in the sun saying "see I told you so", but until then it's just a repeat of that story - and I fondly remember laughing at Illinois when they were sure they would get SS, then they were sure they would get Buzz, etc.  Sadly, that happy memory will be tarnished by this unless you're all right.

Don't forget Minnesota (some of my best work), and Maryland.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #69 on: March 26, 2014, 10:59:07 AM »
This is where I heavily disagree with some of them and I think I've made that quite clear through my posts.

Any A10 fan who thinks his/her team is better off staying in the A10 than the NBE is nuts, they better hope when the NBE comes knocking for 2 more teams they're one of them.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #70 on: March 26, 2014, 10:59:15 AM »

What if the switch to Gold and subsequent reversal was intentional?  Pick a stupid name and have people quiet down about going back to Warriors when they realize the name could be far worse.  Even get one of your most recognizable alums play along.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #71 on: March 26, 2014, 10:59:58 AM »
I, on the other hand, have given up complete hope. That way, if something unexpected does happen, it would be that much more awesome.

Seriously though, our chances of landing SS look bleak IMO. All the national reporters are saying there's nothing going on and he's staying at VCU, why should I believe otherwise?

The bolded part is true.  The underlined part is speculation/conclusion based on the former.  The latter doesn't preclude the former, the former dictates the latter.

Sorry for the logic problem, so here's some Yogi Berra... don't believe anything until you've heard something.

Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Milwarriorkee

• Starter
« Reply #72 on: March 26, 2014, 11:01:48 AM »
My theory is the only one that can reconcile the reports of people we all know to be credible. "Done deal" does not leave room for interpretation. It would not have been reported if the deal could be backed out of. Not by IWB. At least, that's what I believe.

"As official as it gets" is akin to "done deal." That was bullseye bros. Again, a credible source.

Any other theory, including, "Shaka agreed but changed his mind," ultimately means bullseye and IWB's reports were wrong. I am going to trust that they were right. The fact that the pres announcement was moved up cemented it for me. If I am wrong...it will be a long fall from such high hopes.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #73 on: March 26, 2014, 11:02:19 AM »
Don't forget Minnesota (some of my best work), and Maryland.
I missed Minnesota.  I'm sure it was delicious.  Sadly, I'm not in the mood right now given that my alma mater is your current muse.

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #74 on: March 26, 2014, 11:02:30 AM »
The Gold.
Giving a retired jersey number to a current player.
The Fr. Pilarz hire.
The Larry Williams vs Buzz Williams drama.
Having multiple very high up academic positions vacant for an extended period of time.
The handling of allegations of sexual abuse by athletes, which resulted in a federal investigation.
Tearing down Hegarty's.
Letting Angelo's close.

I hate to be a downer, but I don't have a lot of confidence right now. Again, I hope I am proved wrong.

What current player is wearing a retired number?
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

feedback