[Today at 06:19:00 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by SaveOD238
[Today at 06:16:31 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Its DJOver
[June 05, 2024, 02:41:31 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by MU82
[June 05, 2024, 08:19:01 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Cohen Story  (Read 8769 times)

Avenue Commons

• All American
Re: Cohen Story
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 08:20:32 PM »
I have Sandy Cohen's back on this 100%. This is a rule that is of a great disadvantage to the student-athlete.

That said, I have a feeling we will have a great coach shortly and all of his (very valid) concerns are unwarranted.

Hang in there, Sandy!
We Are Marquette

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 08:21:11 PM »
The other thing young Mr. Cohen will learn is schools can put restrictions on where you can go.  See Bucky's Jarrod Uthoff when Bo would not let him transfer to Iowa (public pressure made him relent).  See J-May, MU would not let him transfer to Wisconsin or the BE.

I'm not saying MU will do this, but what is common is for schools to bar you from signing with another team in your conference or a common opponent (like Wisconsin).

Often they are more lenient with signees than they are with existing scholarship athletes.  But we'll see.

The story said it could be weeks (the only reason that would happen is they are going to get a S16 or F4 coach and they have to wait until his season is over).  Otherwise, it will be a few more days.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 08:24:26 PM »
I have Sandy Cohen's back on this 100%. This is a rule that is of a great disadvantage to the student-athlete.

That said, I have a feeling we will have a great coach shortly and all of his (very valid) concerns are unwarranted.

Hang in there, Sandy!

+1.  If a coach isn't announced within a week give the kid his release.  I support his decision 100%.  He didn't close the door, he just needs to make sure that the change is a fit for him.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 08:25:55 PM »
Programs make room for top 100 recruits.  Sit back, meet the new coach and make your decision.  It is possible that VT gets put on restricted list.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2014, 08:26:24 PM »
Little known fact is you are not required to sign an LOI. If you are a big enough recruit, you have all the leverage.
We Are Marquette

EnderWiggen

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2014, 08:26:37 PM »
"He's excited about going to Marquette," Murphy said. "But we have to be sure that the new coach is excited to have him and it's a situation where it's good for him"

That's completely reasonable.

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2014, 08:27:17 PM »
The other thing young Mr. Cohen will learn is schools can put restrictions on where you can go.  See Bucky's Jarrod Uthoff when Bo would not let him transfer to Iowa (public pressure made him relent).  See J-May, MU would not let him transfer to Wisconsin or the BE.

I'm not saying MU will do this, but what is common is for schools to bar you from signing with another team in your conference or a common opponent (like Wisconsin).

Often they are more lenient with signees than they are with existing scholarship athletes.  But we'll see.

The story said it could be weeks (the only reason that would happen is they are going to get a S16 or F4 coach and they have to wait until his season is over).  Otherwise, it will be a few more days.
Or tomorrow.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2014, 08:27:50 PM »
Little known fact is you are not required to sign an LOI. If you are a big enough recruit, you have all the leverage.

This is true and a lot of them do not for this very reason.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2014, 08:28:06 PM »
+1.  If a coach isn't announced within a week give the kid his release.  I support his decision 100%.  He didn't close the door, he just needs to make sure that the change is a fit for him.

Has there been a moment in NCAA history where a recruit de-committed, only to re-commit? I remember when Vander left the door open at UW - just saving face, really.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2014, 08:28:15 PM »
 It is possible 100% guaranteed that VT gets put on restricted list.

You can rest assured Marquette will not be doing Brent Williams any favors.
We Are Marquette

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2014, 08:29:21 PM »
Has there been a moment in NCAA history where a recruit de-committed, only to re-commit? I remember when Vander left the door open at UW - just saving face, really.

Stuff like this is very common when a coach leaves.
We Are Marquette

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2014, 08:30:04 PM »
Or tomorrow.

Clear your calendar for Wednesday.
We Are Marquette

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2014, 08:30:44 PM »
Someone needs to track the flight.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2014, 08:31:58 PM »
Clear your calendar for Wednesday.

Leak tomorrow, presser Wednesday.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2014, 08:34:10 PM »

Blackmon at IU. Just come to mind

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2014, 08:35:09 PM »

I'm not sure of basketball, but it has in football. Michigan had an offensive lineman de-commit then re-commit two years ago.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2014, 08:35:42 PM »

You cannot place restrictions with a release from an NLI.  What you are talking about is releasing someone from their scholarship.  Different situations, different rules.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2014, 08:37:49 PM »

It is a regular occurrence in football.  In fact most teams have several players that de-comitted and re-comitted, sometimes several times.

That said, in football, a recruit can be closer of the O and D coordinators and their turnover, not the HC, causes this.

MUBillsTil2017

• Walk-On
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2014, 08:43:12 PM »
Mr Cohen probably was fallowing the lead of his advisors, including his parents, when that tweet went down.  Most likely none have been in this situation before so hasty decisions were made.  As a parent for a kid who experienced the "recruitment drill", I can tell you the pressure is noticeable because a parent deals with the future of his kid.  You have to trust the coach recruiting you otherwise why let him in the door?  Buzz leaving would naturally cause panic in the house.  Sounds like the university reached out to calm the situation for now but once a new coach is hired I wouldn't be surprised if all of Buzz's top recruits are given their releases.  

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2014, 08:44:08 PM »

Agreed. And it works both ways.
Howland and Smart - assuming it'll be one of them - both have systems that are best with a certain type of player. I have no idea how Cohen, or any of the recruits, would fit, but both sides deserve a shot to figure it out.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2014, 08:45:20 PM »
Mr Cohen probably was fallowing the lead of his advisors, including his parents, when that tweet went down.  Most likely none have been in this situation before so hasty decisions were made.  As a parent for a kid who experienced the "recruitment drill", I can tell you the pressure is noticeable because a parent deals with the future of his kid.  You have to trust the coach recruiting you otherwise why let him in the door?  Buzz leaving would naturally cause panic in the house.  Sounds like the university reached out to calm the situation for now but once a new coach is hired I wouldn't be surprised if all of Buzz's top recruits are given their releases.  

That is the way it should be.  Release them now and no one from MU (in a HC capacity) is recruiting them.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2014, 08:54:53 PM »
Wow! That would leave us with 9 players. If we have any transfers could be even less.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2014, 08:55:53 PM »
Wow! That would leave us with 9 players. If we have any transfers could be even less.

Why would this surprise anyone?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2014, 08:57:26 PM »
This is true and a lot of them do not for this very reason.

One of our boys played DI football and it was pretty clear - sign the LoI or we sign the kid from CA. Of course, our son was not a Top 100 recruit and football is significantly different than basketball from a numbers stand point. Football teams are signing dozens of kids each year. If a kid in Seattle hesitates the school moves quickly to the kid in LA and nobody has the least pang of guilt. It's a business.

Death on call

feedback