[Today at 07:03:51 PM]

And The New...... by Tyler COLEk
[Today at 11:45:55 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:31:50 AM]

2024 Mock Drafts by MuggsyB
[Today at 10:56:27 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Is Buzz similar to Huggy getting bounced from Cincy?  (Read 3784 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Is Buzz similar to Huggy getting bounced from Cincy?
« on: March 23, 2014, 07:09:01 AM »
Facts

Huggy was successful at cincy
Buzz was successful at MU

Huggy is difficult
Buzz is difficult

Cincy grew tired of Huggy, threw him out
MU grew tired of Buzz and encouraged him to leave.

Huggy was/is ethically challenged and eventually wound up where that is not a problem.
Buzz is ethically challenged and went where he can do what he does best, load the team with criminal jucos (he could not get the montrele Clark's into MU, only the good guys) and try and save them.

Future

Cincy happy with Cronin
MU happy with the next guy
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 07:21:20 AM by Heisenberg »

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
Re: Is Buzz similar to Huggy getting bounced from Cincy?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 07:22:56 AM »
"Criminal JUCOs?" Come on man. Just pathetic.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 07:25:42 AM »
Buzz is many things, but bein' an alcoholic is probably not one of them.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 07:36:08 AM »
Buzz's issues with Marquette were far, far smaller than Huggins's problems at Cincy.

In a lot of ways Buzz's issues were big philosophical differences about how to run a program. Big issues with the NCAA were not a problem like with Huggins.

Buzz made a change because he had worn out his welcome to a degree and he didn't want to be somewhere he wasn't wanted. Buzz left and Marquette showed him the door. Huggins was straight up fired for cause.
We Are Marquette

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 08:12:50 AM »
I had certainly heard insider stories about Crean being a difficult, SOB.

I have not heard the same for Buzz. 

There's a difference between a coach actively being a pain in the ass, versus 18 year old kids misbehaving and a coach needing to deal with the mess.  Everything I'd heard was that Buzz was steadfast in his defense of "his" kids.  -- I can't condemn that.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2014, 08:30:30 AM »
Ok how about Brett Beliema leaving Bucky for Arkansas?  Is that a better analogy?

Beliema decided that Bucky and B1G were a second tier football conference and he wanted in with the big boys, even if that meant the lower end of the big boys.

Does this work better?

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2014, 08:30:47 AM »
Probably more similar to Alford going from Iowa to New Mexico.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2014, 08:34:25 AM »
Facts

Huggy was successful at cincy
Buzz was successful at MU

Huggy is difficult
Buzz is difficult

Cincy grew tired of Huggy, threw him out
MU grew tired of Buzz and encouraged him to leave.

Huggy was/is ethically challenged and eventually wound up where that is not a problem.
Buzz is ethically challenged and went where he can do what he does best, load the team with criminal jucos (he could not get the montrele Clark's into MU, only the good guys) and try and save them.

Future

Cincy happy with Cronin
MU happy with the next guy
you have started a ridiculous amount of threads trying to defend MU and make this look like buzz was pushed out, afraid, etc.  you have stated many time what your "sources" are telling you, yet you had no clue buzz was leaving.  chill out --- no one thinks VT is a better basketball school than MU...MU will get a solid coach moving forward, and MU will continue to play high level ball.  trying to figure out why buzz does what he does has been impossible from day one.  i'm going with dakich, and figuring buzz left before he was told to.  i also think buzz feel more comfortable building a program than maintaining one.  it's not a knock on MU...he wasn't comfortable with the expectations.  

tower912

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2014, 08:35:57 AM »
Knowing all of the background and ruffled feeling from the personnel changes in administration, losing a trusted assistant and close friend, Buzz needing to feel love......
The scenario I have seen elsewhere that seems to track with me is:   Last Monday, Buzz was called by the VT AD to gauge interest.   Buzz was non-committal, but took the VT job offer to the MU administration as leverage to wring out some concessions on JUCO's, perks, etc.   MU was not in the mood to be held hostage, and not wanting to give the kind of commitments he wanted and have them passed onto a new administration that might not like them,  told him that if he wanted to go to VT, then go.  
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 08:37:52 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2014, 08:40:18 AM »
you have started a ridiculous amount of threads trying to defend MU and make this look like buzz was pushed out, afraid, etc.  you have stated many time what your "sources" are telling you, yet you had no clue buzz was leaving.  chill out --- no one thinks VT is a better basketball school than MU...MU will get a solid coach moving forward, and MU will continue to play high level ball.  trying to figure out why buzz does what he does has been impossible from day one.  i'm going with dakich, and figuring buzz left before he was told to.  i also think buzz feel more comfortable building a program than maintaining one.  it's not a knock on MU...he wasn't comfortable with the expectations.  

I agree with Dakich and said so, Buzz left before he was told.  This means we wanted him to leave.  Thanks for agreeing.

Buzz has never built anything, god luck with that at VT.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2014, 09:51:56 AM »
load the team with criminal jucos (he could not get the montrele Clark's into MU, only the good guys) and try and save them.
Scotty, is that you?

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2014, 10:05:22 AM »
Doesn't it seem, with Buzz's change of tone in post-game comments, the VT job happening so fast, Howland's hat in the ring right off the bat, the lowered buyout, the mission change, etc., etc., that this has been in the works for a while?

What I don't get is the 15 mil he was due if fired - I think I would have hung around and made tham can me, for that kind of money. Did Buzz think getting fired would be a big impediment to his eventual big money dream job? If so, I guess "settling" for over a deuce and taking a few years in the countryside doesn't seem too onerous. It's pretty dubious what a few years at VT, competing in that league with where they are now, will add much luster to his resume.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2014, 10:13:43 AM »
Yeah, something smells fishy. He should have at least taken the Wake Forrest job if he had his choice.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2014, 10:16:18 AM »
Doesn't it seem, with Buzz's change of tone in post-game comments, the VT job happening so fast, Howland's hat in the ring right off the bat, the lowered buyout, the mission change, etc., etc., that this has been in the works for a while?

What I don't get is the 15 mil he was due if fired - I think I would have hung around and made tham can me, for that kind of money. Did Buzz think getting fired would be a big impediment to his eventual big money dream job? If so, I guess "settling" for over a deuce and taking a few years in the countryside doesn't seem too onerous. It's pretty dubious what a few years at VT, competing in that league with where they are now, will add much luster to his resume.

You only get your contract so long as you don't take another head Bball coaching job.  Do that and MU can stop paying your contract.

Seth Greenberg is a talking head on ESPN (not head BBall coach) as he is still under contract with VT.  He will get 600k this year from VT.  When his contract ends (I don't know when) he will announce "I've decided to rejoin the coaching ranks."

Ditto Howland.  He contact with UCLA is ending now and, surprise, he wants back in!

Cue Counselor Jay Bee to summarily post everything about contracts here is all wrong without clarifying anything in 3, 2, 1 ...

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2014, 10:27:46 AM »
I'm down with Greenberg if he brings his daughters with.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2014, 10:36:42 AM »
I had certainly heard insider stories about Crean being a difficult, SOB.

I have not heard the same for Buzz. 

Different, but some felt he was difficult.  A few internal relationships with other coaches not terrific, as an example.

muwarrior97

• All American
  • CALVACADE OF BRICKS
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2014, 11:28:18 AM »
I'm down with Greenberg if he brings his daughters with.
what he said, yes & yes
#RGV #ReturnTheWarriorMindset

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2014, 11:32:51 AM »
Yeah, something smells fishy. He should have at least taken the Wake Forrest job if he had his choice.

Wake Forest is a really good school, with tougher admission standards. Too similar to MU.

At Virginia Tech, Buzz can bring in anyone he wants.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2014, 11:41:55 AM »
Wake Forest is a really good school, with tougher admission standards. Too similar to MU.

At Virginia Tech, Buzz can bring in anyone he wants.

Montrele Clark still has eligibility

feedback